• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what do you think of the Zelda 2005 director?

SantaC

It's been known since E3 that neither Miyamoto nor Aonuma are directing the new Zelda, but I don't think it was ever revealed who the real director was?

Matt from his mailbag yesterday:

Nintendo has never officially gone into detail about the game's new director, but it's rumored to be one or both of the following: Misuhiro Takano and Hajime Takahashi. Takano co-directed the original 1080 snowboarding and was the scriptwriter for Majora's Mask. He's allegedly also responsible for the Space World 2000 demo of Zelda. Takahashi is credited with event and script planning for Majora's Mask, too.

Well I think it could be a fresh thing for the franchise with a new director, but of course Miyamoto and Aonuma are producing it.

Maybe Shikamaru Ninja can give us some more input :)

SantaC

JasoNsider said:
It's Takano for sure. This was revealed a long time ago.

ok, funny that Matt don't know that :lol

well the script for Majoras Mask rocked. I am hoping for a good story.

Cimarron

"was the scriptwriter for Majora's Mask"

SELL YOUR GAMECUBE! ITS ALL OVER!!!

MM imho smelled like Bantha poodoo. =/

AniHawk

Cimarron said:

It's a good thing you're WRONG.
Kidding, but I hope the game shows some darker/more elements, but doesn't try to mask them like they did in TWW.

AniHawk

Speevy said:
Miyamoto should direct this. He wouldn't even have to do anything. It would be absurdly good PR.

Heh, true. However, if it came out and wasn't that good, he'd get all the blame. He hasn't directed a game since Ocarina of Time, and he gets blamed from Pikmin to The Wind Waker.

I think he's directing Super Mario 128 development. He should direct Zelda '08 as well. If not him, at least Aonuma.

At E3 2004, Miyamoto said he had asked NCL to narrow his responsibilities so he could concentrate on just a few games. Apparently, that's why Kensuke Tanaba's SPD group was formed, to deal with all the second-parties and third-parties developing Nintendo titles (Retro, Namco for Star Fox, etc.). It is about damn time he got back to directing...maybe he is working on a surprise title that we'll learn about in May.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I would have preferred it if Aonuma or Miyamoto were directing it, but since they are the producers, i guess the game will have an input from them.

I can trust Takano with giving us a really great world, but I'm not to sure how well he can make a story.

Cimarron

Puh-lease. MM stunk up the charts. WW was a bit to sacharin. MM wasn't that great either.
"Oh teh noes! A giant evil face is coming to destroy tha world! Hurry Link! Race at break neck speed to solve this puzzle before your forced to do it again.... and again... and again...."

Um no thanks. OOT and LTTP was the Zelda Franchises shining moments. I must admit this new Zelda looks promising but this news does put a damper on my excitement.

Takashi Tezuka! [/wishful thinking]

Some credits pulled from mobygames:

Pikmin 2 (2004), Nintendo //producer
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003), Nintendo //supervisor
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002), Nintendo //producer
Super Mario Sunshine (2002), Nintendo //producer
Animal Crossing (2001), Nintendo //producer
Luigi's Mansion (2001), Nintendo //producer
Mario Kart Super Circuit (2001), Nintendo //producer
Paper Mario (2000), Nintendo //supervisor
Starfox 64 (1997), Nintendo //supervisor
Super Mario 64 (1996), Nintendo //assistant director
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995), Nintendo //director
Tetris Attack (1995), Nintendo //design adviser
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993), Nintendo //director
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991), Nintendo //director
Super Mario World (1990), Nintendo //director
The Legend of Zelda (1986), Nintendo

SantaC

Jonnyboy117 said:
At E3 2004, Miyamoto said he had asked NCL to narrow his responsibilities so he could concentrate on just a few games. Apparently, that's why Kensuke Tanaba's SPD group was formed, to deal with all the second-parties and third-parties developing Nintendo titles (Retro, Namco for Star Fox, etc.). It is about damn time he got back to directing...maybe he is working on a surprise title that we'll learn about in May.

Well if they want a Mario launch for Revolution, he better work on Mario 128 right now.

lexi

Banned
This news pleases me. If Zelda 05 is half as good as MM, it will still be the 2nd best Zelda game ever made.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Cimarron said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT?!

Majora's Mask was the best thing to happen to the Zelda franchise ever. As far as I'm concerned, the more this new game has in common with that game, the better.

Jonnyboy117 said:
It is about damn time he got back to directing...
Not gonna happen. Put aside the fact that it would literally be a demotion: it's just not a good use of his talents. It's simply better to have Miyamoto overseeing production on various projects, so he can give advice without having to be involved in the day-to-day crunch and drudgery of directing every little thing.

By the by, Aonuma stepped up to Producer of the Zelda series around E3 2003. So it's actually been known since then that "Wind Waker 2", as the project codename went in those days, was not gonna be directed by him.

fugimax

Not gonna happen. Put aside the fact that it would literally be a demotion: it's just not a good use of his talents. It's simply better to have Miyamoto overseeing production on various projects, so he can give advice without having to be involved in the day-to-day crunch and drudgery of directing every little thing.
Agreed.

However, I would much rather have one Miyamoto directed game then a plethora of stuff he's just overseen. The guy has an eye for detail that's unbelievable.

SantaC

Kobun Heat said:

By the by, Aonuma stepped up to Producer of the Zelda series around E3 2003. So it's actually been known since then that "Wind Waker 2", as the project codename went in those days, was not gonna be directed by him.

Well hopefully the game progress is smooth back at big N HQ. I remember a quote by Aounuma that this game was easier to create than wind waker and its graphics.

I wouldn't mind seeing Takashi Tezuka at the plate but it won't happen sadly

Isn't he directing DK: JB now?

Cimarron said:
Puh-lease. MM stunk up the charts. WW was a bit to sacharin. MM wasn't that great either.
"Oh teh noes! A giant evil face is coming to destroy tha world! Hurry Link! Race at break neck speed to solve this puzzle before your forced to do it again.... and again... and again...."
:lol My sentiments exactly.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
When Zelda began development on the GameCube, Mitsuhiro Takano was the assigned director. Eiji Aonuma was going to be producer. There seemed to be a lot of discussion and confusion over Zelda's direction, eventually Aonuma took the reigns again as director.

Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka are not game directors anymore. They are producers, more like managers and creative consultants. They have a bigger responsibility than designing games, but instead they assign what team develops what game, as well as design and product approval.

Besides, there is so much talent at Nintendo, most of the greater original games have been developed by "mistake" by these young directors while Miyamoto and Tezuka sort of hold on constantly to Mario, Yoshi, and Zelda.

Yoshiaki Koizumi is directing Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat now. He was also the director of Super Mario Sunshine and co-director of Majora's Mask and Toot.

fugimax said:
Agreed.

However, I would much rather have one Miyamoto directed game then a plethora of stuff he's just overseen. The guy has an eye for detail that's unbelievable.
Name a specific game you feel that way about. Odds are it wasn't directed by Miyamoto.

Cimarron said:

at least it was different. You like cookie cutter generic slop? The mask merchant in MM made the game worthwhile. Too freaky and demented. Great story and the top notch villian (skull kid) too.

SantaC

Shikamaru Ninja said:
When Zelda began development on the GameCube, Mitsuhiro Takano was the assigned director. Eiji Aonuma was going to be producer. There seemed to be a lot of discussion and confusion over Zelda's direction, eventually Aonuma took the reigns again as director.

Wait, which Gamecube zelda are you talking about now? Wind Waker or " Wind Waker 2" ?

SantaC

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Before Wind Waker 1 or initial Wind Waker 1

Thanks, and now Mitsuhiro Takano is the director for Zelda 2005? Do you have any additional info on the music composers?

AniHawk

Cimarron said:

Um no thanks. OOT and LTTP was the Zelda Franchises shining moments. I must admit this new Zelda looks promising but this news does put a damper on my excitement.

Ugh, LA > ALTTP. Maybe it was because I first played ALTTP in 2000, but I found it 100% completely overrated. I'd probably feel that way about MM and OoT if I hadn't played OoT in 1998. MM never had the addictive draw that kept me playing almost nonstop (except for school/eating/sleeping) that OoT had. It was pretty damn fun in a completely different way though, and much darker than I was expecting. Jarrod can defend this best, but he's in a self-imposed exile at the moment.

snapty00

Banned
I just hope this one is actually fun. The last two 3D Zelda games were ass. I hope Shigeru Miyamoto takes a much more hands-on approach this time. Otherwise, I don't have much faith in the title.

Cimarron said:

Umm, have you even played the game for any extended period of time?

SantaC

AniHawk said:
MM never had the addictive draw that kept me playing almost nonstop (except for school/eating/sleeping) that OoT had. It was pretty damn fun in a completely different way though, and much darker than I was expecting. Jarrod can defend this best, but he's in a self-imposed exile at the moment.

from edge:
Edge revisits the oddest, darkest and saddest of all Zelda games

SantaC

belgurdo said:
Sorry, only Wind Waker fits this description. MM was actually worth being hyped over, unlike its sequel and Minish Cap

Wind Waker wasn't ass, but I was very disappointed compared to OoT and MM.

I enjoyed Minish cap. It's nothing that will blow you away, but it's a great gameboy game, and the music was defintiley worth it.

Deg

Banned
I hope the new director doesnt make it childish. Wind Waker style was really dumb and lost many fans. Really good game however. Dumb Nintendo.

snapty00

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Fun
Zelda II: Fun
A Link to the Past: Boring
Ocarina of Time: Fun
Majora's Mask: Boring
Wind Waker: Boring
Minish Cap: Fun

SantaC

Deg said:
I hope the new director doesnt make it childish. Wind Waker style was really dumb and lost many fans. Really good game however. Dumb Nintendo.

first impression of the trailer is that it doesn't look childish at all...

Top Bottom