• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social Media and Boomers: Have they lost their damn minds?

Have Boomers Lost their Minds Due to Social Media?

• Yes

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Too Soon

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

Jinzo Prime

Just an observation over the last week in particular.

Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

feynoob

Banned
1 village has 2 idiots. 2 villages have 4 idiots. 3 villages now have 8 idiots.

When you unite all 3 villages, you get 32 idiots, because there is no filter now.

The Internet is that. It gives these stupid an outlet to be stupid without a filter. There is no consequences. You can see the record of their stupid shit. They have no shame, because the Internet took that away from them.

feynoob

Banned
zoomers don't know how to live life without it.
That is false.
Zoomers dont have the chance to explore the world, because they have been isolated for most of their lives.

We used to go out alot and come home late. I remember going from village to another village without having a phone.

Now, there are not that many places you can go without a car. The small walk become nonexistance. And if you live in the city, you dont get that many chances to go out. Work, home, work, home, school, work, home all through a car drive. They dont have the chance to go out like we used to do.

Cyberpunkd

That is false.
Zoomers dont have the chance to explore the world, because they have been isolated for most of their lives.

We used to go out alot and come home late. I remember going from village to another village without having a phone.

Now, there are not that many places you can go without a car. The small walk become nonexistance. And if you live in the city, you dont get that many chances to go out. Work, home, work, home, school, work, home all through a car drive. They dont have the chance to go out like we used to do.
Except in many countries in the world we have a functioning public transportation system, you don’t need a care to go anywhere and the results are the same.

feynoob

Banned
Except in many countries in the world we have a functioning public transportation system, you don’t need a care to go anywhere and the results are the same.
Even with functioning public transportation, you can't overcome the crowd density situation.

More people, more houses, more distances to the places that you want to visit.

Something happened to motivate this post?

As far as I'm aware, Boomers have remained pretty consistent through social media since forever.

My family members basically posts the same shit boomers have posted for years.

Those "Like or you Hate Jesus Christ" posts, my hyper conservative but vulgar Uncle posts vaguely homophobic content (but worships Bolsonaro's ballsack all day), my mother shares bible verses literally every single day, and my grandma just posts baby and cat videos...

Trust me, I'm a borderline ageist, and have no issue shitting on boomers or older people in general.
But that's a criticism that applies to other generations way more then boomers.

Boomers have remained consistently dumb (cute dumb, stupidly dumb, or offensive but ineffectively dumb)

Last edited:

Sybrix

Just Boomers? No.

Every generation who uses social media loses their mind with it.

News and social commentary used to come from TV, Newspapers, journals, magazines etc.

Now you have your local town lunatic spouting their idiocy on social media and the next town over's local lunatic thinks 'this guy talks like me! Let me link in with him!'. Soon enough, every town's lunatics are combined on a platform where the whole countries lunatics are talking and spouting idiocy where it's at the point that because enough nutters are agreeing with each other, it gives them a validity that didnt used to exist with them pre-social media and they think they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Socal media is a disease.

Doom85

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Social media has the power to bring out the worst in people.
There was a golden age where it was just memes.

Member vines, what a dumb ass good time where it was just people being goofballs.

Then twitter really rose in popularity and it became shit.

And now tiktok is a literal retardification application.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Typically people who are big on social media sites are attention whores needing ego boosts, weird people grifting for their political shit (I’m sure just about everyone has that FB friend who posts about PETA or greenpeace every week), or possibly they have a online presence big enough to make a career out of it getting their ad revenue cuts or product plug fees.

In other words, the vast majority of them are losers. Get a real job.

In other words, the vast majority of them are losers. Get a real job.

Just like that microtransaction horse outsold and outprofited a full fledged masterpiece game with tons of hard work behind it, same goes for influencers. Why should they get a real job if with a few videos they can make more in one month than some people make in their entire careers?

You can see how this is also adversely affecting the youth, and their work ethic. Them seeing influencers brag about making mad money doing nothing, while they themselves are told to sweat hard each day for pennies not even a living wage.

MrMephistoX

What happened/are you referring to specifically OP? I don't really use social media outside of here.
All I’ll say is that I’ve observed that Boomers seem to have flipped out because a news story about aging has triggered them beyond belief. We all have aging relatives but at a certain age they have to hand over the keys.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just Boomers? No.

Every generation who uses social media loses their mind with it.

News and social commentary used to come from TV, Newspapers, journals, magazines etc.

Now you have your local town lunatic spouting their idiocy on social media and the next town over's local lunatic thinks 'this guy talks like me! Let me link in with him!'. Soon enough, every town's lunatics are combined on a platform where the whole countries lunatics are talking and spouting idiocy where it's at the point that because enough nutters are agreeing with each other, it gives them a validity that didnt used to exist with them pre-social media and they think they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Socal media is a disease.

Nailed it.

Social media has given everybody a voice, but that's not a good thing.

We now live in an age of ignorance. People would rather believe a random stranger online than scientific facts.

Look at the flat earth nuts. They're gaining followers because they sound convincing and the ignorant lap it up, when in reality they spout complete nonsense. They know the earth is not flat, but they know a good portion of people will believe they're lies, which gives them a degree of power.

Flat earth is just one example. There are so many insane conspiracies and false information being spread from social media that I actually worry about our future.

Look at the flat earth nuts. They're gaining followers because they sound convincing and the ignorant lap it up, when in reality they spout complete nonsense. They know the earth is not flat, but they know a good portion of people will believe they're lies, which gives them a degree of power.

The flat earthers would be nowhere if not for nasa being caught faking stuff, and multiple antarctica documentaries faking 24 hour sun.

If the space station is unmanned or derelict floating outhere, well faking it does nothing but arouse suspicion. And the antarctica documentaries should shame on themselves, how lazy you have to be to fake something so simple.

IDKFA

The flat earthers would be nowhere if not for nasa being caught faking stuff, and multiple antarctica documentaries faking 24 hour sun.

If the space station is unmanned or derelict floating outhere, well faking it does nothing but arouse suspicion. And the antarctica documentaries should shame on themselves, how lazy you have to be to fake something so simple.

What? Please tell me you're joking.

What? Please tell me you're joking.
The earth is a sphere, but I can understand people seeing fakery becoming conspiracy theorists.

For example the 24 hour sun videos, same exact cloud pattern and chimney smoke pattern 24 hours apart, at start and end of video. The other one composite with text going behind mountains.

As for nasa fakery the most egregious in my opinion was when they said there was 11 second delay(In the very video the guy on ground says that and astronauts take 11 seconds to respond). I saw the original video and the astronauts were taking 11 seconds to respond. Guess what happened, something funny was said on the ground and one of the astronauts reacted immediately smiling and reacting with no delay, several seconds later his colleague answered the ground's question.

That's one of tons of flubs they've done. Another very prominent one, was that despite the station moving at high speeds through earth orbits, in one of their live q&a's, one of the astronauts flubbed and said some location was just a few miles from where we're talking. Like really a few miles from where we're talking? You're supposed to be rapidly orbiting earth not a few miles near some location on earth.

IDKFA

The earth is a sphere, but I can understand people seeing fakery becoming conspiracy theorists.

For example the 24 hour sun videos, same exact cloud pattern and chimney smoke pattern 24 hours apart, at start and end of video. The other one composite with text going behind mountains.

As for nasa fakery the most egregious in my opinion was when they said there was 11 second delay(In the very video the guy on ground says that and astronauts take 11 seconds to respond). I saw the original video and the astronauts were taking 11 seconds to respond. Guess what happened, something funny was said on the ground and one of the astronauts reacted immediately smiling and reacting with no delay, several seconds later his colleague answered the ground's question.

That's one of tons of flubs they've done. Another very prominent one, was that despite the station moving at high speeds through earth orbits, in one of their live q&a's, one of the astronauts flubbed and said some location was just a few miles from where we're talking. Like really a few miles from where we're talking? You're supposed to be rapidly orbiting earth not a few miles near some location on earth.

Just so I understand this, you don't believe NASA have sent people to the ISS?

What about the other agencies that have sent people to the ISS? Also fake?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Just like that microtransaction horse outsold and outprofited a full fledged masterpiece game with tons of hard work behind it, same goes for influencers. Why should they get a real job if with a few videos they can make more in one month than some people make in their entire careers?

You can see how this is also adversely affecting the youth, and their work ethic. Them seeing influencers brag about making mad money doing nothing, while they themselves are told to sweat hard each day for pennies not even a living wage.

Because the vast majority of people who try to get rich quick or become famous YT or Twitter stars fail. So instead of wasting time on dumb shit, stick to more reasonable things in life.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Oh my lord ..

Nydius

Only boomers? Social media has fucked up everyone's minds. I lay the blame of the current state of the world squarely at the feet of social media, where every asshat was given a soapbox that could be amplified by tens, or hundreds of thousands -- sometimes millions. People who would have never gotten any attention if all they had was a LiveJournal no one ever visited or if the only other outlet for their opinion were old newspaper letters to the editor.

One of the best things I did for my mental health was deactivate all of my social media accounts. No X/Twitter, no TikTok, no Instagram, no Snapchat, none of that shit. I do still have an active Facebook account but that is exclusively so I can use Messenger to chat with some people who won't use anything else. I almost never post on Facebook; If I do post, it's usually just photographs.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Gen X here.

I've lived most of my life before the social media boom and continue to do so without it.

As a kid walking with my mom on the street I remember the occasional crazy bums standing on their soapbox spewing nonsense to the masses.

Now everyone has their own soapbox for better or worse. Mostly for worse.

Addicted to instant gratification & notifications. Pure narcissism.

All I need is GAF and my Youtube is customized to my liking 🙂

Cyberpunkd

TBH you can just take one look on how social media and engagement economy destroyed all the ones you listed. Now no matter where you look it's all filler, no substance.

Top Bottom