• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of Black Mesa Source finally has a release date

Sibylus

Banned
Up to 27% now. Also some quotes I haven't seen posted here yet, some shamelessly stolen from this excellent article. Big things are confirmation that Lambda Core is fully playable, Xen is being expanded, only the Source SDK Base 2007 is needed to play, and the release is anywhere from 10-14 hours long.

Katana said:
As you will see in the post in the News forums, the game ends when you enter the portal into Xen. We will be releasing Xen as soon as we can after the mod's official release, but considered it to be a good cutoff point for now.
stormseeker said:
It is precisely to avoid cutting corners on this that the decision was made to split the game here. The assets for Xen are so fundamentally different from the ones in the earthbound sections of the game, we would have had issues with consistency and focus whilst finishing up the non alien stuff.
stormseeker said:
We decided to hold off on releasing Xen with it, as it differs so much asset wise from the main game. We're already working on Xen, and it will be more of a complete game in its own way, greatly expanded in detail and purpose, whilst retaining the original storyline accurately. Think of it as an episode along with the Black Mesa Deathmatch release.
Raminator said:
No. Development on xen is already underway and we hope to have it finished up in a reasonable timeframe. Xen is going to basically be a complete game in its own right, it's not going to be just an epilogue to the game; more of a whole new chapter. It'll be pretty well expanded.

stormseeker said:
It took me 14hrs in my last playthrough for testing the final version. I've played Black Mesa for maybe 500 - 600 hours, and worked on pretty much every map in the game, as such I wasn't hanging around that much. So 8 - 10 is fairly conservative, but a fair estimate of the average gamer.

stormseeker said:
You only need the Source SDK Base 2007 installed, which comes free with Steam and is located in the Tools section of the steam Library.

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/System_Requirements

Actual system requirements (ie - GFX card for recommended spec) will probably need to be updated however, as the wiki version is a bit outdated.

stormseeker said:
Gameplay Options

Creature Gib - Choose between gibbing creatures into bits, or ragdoll only.

Always Run - Choose between normal HL always run or the sprint system from HL2

Train Fail Safe - If you jump off the train whilst it's moving and this is enabled, brakes will kick in and the train will stop in a shower of sparks.

Houndeye Tinnitus - High pitched whistling sound you get from flashbangs, in this case from the pressure wave of the houndeye.

Auto-aim - assists your aim slightly.

Weapon Fast Switch - Rather than having the HUD selection, then clicking to select the weapon, it switches directly on using the corresponding key - ie 1 for crowbar or mousewheel, but its user defined for keys etc.

Iron-sight - Normally this is a secondary fire feature, you can remove it completely here should you want.

Iron-Sight Sticky - Enabled you press the secondary fire once and it stays in iron sights mode. Disabled and you have to hold secondary fire down to keep iron sights up.

View Bob - Disable to remove weapon movement when walking/running

View Roll - Dictates the amount of tilt the player has when moving side to side strafing. (values 0.0 - 3.5)

Performance Options

DLight Manager - We added this whilst fixing several performance related bugs in levels with very heavy lightmap use and complicated dynamic lighting setups (QE, BP etc). It automatically detects spikes in dynamic lighting that cause performance drops and disables lightmap updating in those areas temporarily to improve framerates.

Muzzleflash DLights - Added additionally after fixing a performance related bug in Questionable Ethics based on the dynamic flash from gunfire on NPCs that caused dlight spikes and drops in framerate in areas with very sharp lightmap scales. A flag was also added to the NPC's to allow for individual dlight disabling in problem areas that affected all systems regardless of specification. In addition a hammer based entity was added to toggle dynamic lightmap updates to counter odd bugs when reloading saves in those areas. (that was a fun bug to fix...)

Battery DLight - Same issues of performance based on the dynamic glow given off by the suit batteries.

Gluon Burn-Trail - To help lower end systems deal with the additional decals added by the trail.

Visual Options

Chromatic Abberation - Creates a distortion of colour around the edges of geometry when taking damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Noise Shader - Creates a static noise shader effect when near or in radioactive sources.

Hud Post Process - Creates a prettified version of the basic hud, adding in scan lines etc.

Hud Bloom - adds a nice glowy effect to the hud, determined on your preference. (values 0.0 - 6.0)

Most of those are pretty straightforward and some of them are to assist systems that will struggle otherwise.

mandiller

The editing and shots of that trailer were great. The song and lyrics did not fit or make any sense however. That song does not scream half-life to me.

Tomodachi

Beautiful music, incredibly cheesy lyrics and totally not half-life. It screams fan-made (even though it's pretty good) and definitely not a faithful half-life revamp with source engine but we already knew this.
Looking forward to BMS out of sheer curiosity but I don't really think this could be regarded as the ultimate version of half-life. I see it more like silent hill shattered memories compared to the original work, if you know what I mean, like a game with its own qualities and in is own good but not necessarily a good remake in the strict sense of the word.

Sibylus

Banned
Strikes me as an official commission, judging by the video creator's trailers for other mods (Dead Before Dawn, Nightmare House 2). The visual aspects and music were mostly strong, but the lyrics definitely were overwrought, flew well into "you're trying way too hard to incorporate a slogan" territory. Doesn't even come close to topping the 2008 trailer to be honest, which for me hit the perfect notes tonally and visually. Going to be hard for even the devs to top it.

Sibylus

Banned
Nothing particularly exciting, we'll just have to download patches from websites (and achievement tracking will probably be local, no cloud, etc).

Won

What happens if it doesn't get greenlit?

Then all the hard work would never see the light of the day. Why do you think it's releasing now? All this years they were just waiting for such a service to appear.

/randomnonsensetheory

Sibylus

Banned
... and it's shot back up to 44% now. Not sure if it's Valve tweaking the targets again or a boatload of people slamming that vote button.

wildfire

Banned
Finally it is most available. Surprising that it hasn't reached the Greenlight threshold yet. I already voted for it and hope others do the same.

In honor of the OG Half Life, i took the day off today just like i did so many years ago for the OG Half Life. God i remember that day so well, going to the then EBgames and waiting for the FedEx guy to deliver Half-Life and then having to wait for the douche employee to open the box so i could buy the game. I still have the original box in all it's glory.

Sibylus

Banned
Definitely can't blame them. I know that I won't believe until I double-click that shortcut, load, double-click Black Mesa Inbound, load again, and see for myself that that train is truly running late.

jambo

Saw this on the Black Mesa forums earlier

The following languages are ready and have been included with the mod:

• Italian
  • Spanish
  • Norwegian
  • German
  • Finnish

This is in reference to subtitles. More languages are being worked on.

T.O.P

Banned
goddamnit i was focused on other things lately, only 4 hours HYPE

ib0utEGbi2RAdp.gif

Between getting my GMG codes for borderlands 2, preordering my iphone5 at 3am, and black mesa source today-I think I can call today pretty sweet

Oh yeah and the new GUI for Durantes "Dsfix" cant forget that

Best day ever

paischtu

Neo Member
Between getting my GMG codes for borderlands 2, preordering my iphone5 at 3am, and black mesa source today-I think I can call today pretty sweet

Oh yeah and the new GUI for Durantes "Dsfix" cant forget that

Best day ever

Don't forget Faster Than Light. Release in 1 hour:D

Top Bottom