• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of Black Mesa Source finally has a release date

BY2K

Membero Americo
You have got to be freaking kidding me.

No way.

No freaking way.

iGb9oMNe729a5.gif

Nice, just before my birthday. My family won't be able to see me this year, so it'll be nice to get extremely drunk with my roommates and experience one of my favorite games for the first time all over again.

Haunted

I had given up already.

Better for them to just release what they have instead of stalling for a completion that might never come.

We'll see.

Vormund

As said by others, I'll believe it when I see it.

By leaving Xen out, maybe they are reworking it a bit more than other sections, since it's supposed to be the weakest part of the game? If so, I agree with their decision to release the rest of the game first.

Run-M-Run

I'll play it and probably enjoy it very much. All the hate and bitching it got in the past Gaf threads is really insane for what it actually is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'll play it and probably enjoy it very much. All the hate and bitching it got in the past Gaf threads is really insane for what it actually is.

An 8 year project that is attempting to remake one of the greatest FPS games of all time? One that caused a massive shift in the genre? That also happens to have a massive, avid fan-base?

Run-M-Run

An 8 year project that is attempting to remake one of the greatest FPS games of all time? One that caused a massive shift in the genre? That also happens to have a massive, avid fan-base?

A project made by hobbyist modders for free. People bitching like this is a properly funded and developed remake? Insane I say.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LMAO so it comes out before Half-Life 2: Ep. 3?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I bought a new PC just for HL2 mods, Black Mesa Source included.

My PC's body has been ready for a long time. Now more than ever. Although no Xen is BS. But I'll take one in the hand rather than two in the bush. Release what you got modders!

Tain

People demanding that this game be held to lower standards due to it being a hobbyist project are crazy. Holding hobbyist projects to lower standards does a huge disservice to the ones that are actual honest-to-god masterpieces. I'm not going to be dishonest about something because I'm getting it for free.

And then, on top of that, this game is positioning itself as a better Half-Life. There is absolutely no way I will avoid directly comparing the end results (no matter the situations they're created under) to Half-Life. If I were teaching a game design class, sure, good grades for effort, but that isn't the case. The end result will be evaluated like anything else.

Run-M-Run

People demanding that this game be held to lower standards due to it being a hobbyist project are crazy. Holding hobbyist projects to lower standards does a huge disservice to the ones that are actual honest-to-god masterpieces. I'm not going to be dishonest about something because I'm getting it for free.

And then, on top of that, this game is positioning itself as a better Half-Life. There is absolutely no way I will avoid directly comparing the end results (no matter the situations they're created under) to Half-Life. If I were teaching a game design class, sure, good grades for effort, but that isn't the case. The end result will be evaluated like anything else.

The point is that it is made for Free, the end result is highly impressive for that. Think about it, what you seem to want then is something that requires proper funding, these guys didn't get it. You are saying a free project should be compared to a multi-million dollar project?

???

Tain

There's nothing at all wrong with comparing a free project to a multi-million dollar project, no. But what I was saying, more specifically, is that a game should be compared to similar games regardless of development restrictions. If we have any desire at all to be honest about the games themselves, that is. "Great" is what I want and care about, "for being a free hobbyist project" is not. And as a side note, people have done the "great" part with free hobbyist projects.

As for what I want? I don't think a remake of Half-Life is vital in the first place, but I'd enjoy one that actually improves on the original. I'm not convinced that this one will, but I'll end up trying it out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If they want some review or box quotes, I'd be happy to oblige:

"A shining testament to the problems with independent development; hubris, scope creep, team turnover, development burnout, overpromising, underdelivering."

"A permanent and fixed black mark to point to every single time a bright but misguided budding developer lays out his or her vision."

"The 18th Amendment of Gaming."

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the soundtrack now, which is pretty good.

Looking forward to trying this out!

xJavonta

Banned
∀ Narayan;41667826 said:
Uh... whoa. This is pretty cool, even if it is just a portion of the game.

Yeah, because, you know, the original voice acting was some award winning shit yaknowhumsayin'?
Lol still better than this, and didn't have that cheesy 80s action movie sound to it
But iron sights are interesting, I think they said it doesn't make an impact on accuracy though. So using it seems kind of pointless

"A shining testament to the problems with independent development; hubris, scope creep, team turnover, development burnout, overpromising, underdelivering."

"A permanent and fixed black mark to point to every single time a bright but misguided budding developer lays out his or her vision."

John Romero's about to do unpleasant things to you.

I think the manner in which these guys have burned good will is similar to a number of professional studios.

Rapstah

Shouldn't that be that "most" of it has a release date? Xen is like an hour long in a game that took me twenty to complete. I'm not sure if that corresponds to the time their redesigned game takes, but I really doubt they'll redesign Xen to be most of the game.

LuffyZoro

Black Mesa Dev said:
Development on xen is already underway and we hope to have it finished up in a reasonable timeframe. Xen is going to basically be a complete game in its own right, it's not going to be just an epilogue to the game; more of a whole new chapter. It'll be pretty well expanded.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Great news! I wonder if we'll see such tuning in the other parts as-well?

You seem really upset and hurt over a free game.

This is my problem with GAF, mod or not you shit all over something as if they personally built this game for you and didn't live up to your mighty expectations.

bbdude

That campy-ass voice acting tells me the dev team lost focus some time during the past 8 years.... Immersion is what made HL so great. Looking forward to the letdown

"Black Mesa Finally has a release date"

Never.

"It seems it isn't the complete game, but rather than keep us waiting further, they're gonna release the first part of the game."

Ahahahahahaha

well it's the good part of half life. i never bothered to play through xen in the original.

You seem really upset and hurt over a free game.

This is my problem with GAF, mod or not you shit all over something as if they personally built this game for you and didn't live up to your mighty expectations.

The moment you put up your game or media on the internet you're opening yourself to criticism. If you can't handle that not everybody is salivating over the things you like you're better off skipping message bords altogether.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The moment you put up your game or media on the internet you're opening yourself to criticism. If you can't handle that not everybody is salivating over the things you like you're better off skipping message bords altogether.

Yep. As a creator you have to understand that someone out there is going to dislike or criticize what you have to offer and that's just the way it has to be. You can't please everyone, and in this case the way this group of modders has handled information releases and community interaction was pretty bad for the amount of time the game took to get to completion. Nothing wrong with being displeased at the situation, even if it will be forgiven once (most of) the mod is in our hands on the 14th.

Top Bottom