• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone is actually being charged for the Eric Garner killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Full story.

An NYPD sergeant was stripped of her gun and shield Friday after she was brought up on departmental charges in the July 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner, police said.

Sgt. Kizzy Adonis was placed on modified duty, facing four counts of “failure to supervise,” according to a union official. The NYPD provided no details on the case against her.

Adonis, a 14-year NYPD veteran, was one of the supervising officers at the scene of Garner's death during his arrest 18 months ago for selling illegal loose cigarettes.

Adonis told investigators “the perpetrator's condition did not seem serious and that he did not appear to get worse,” according to an internal report by the NYPD.

But Adonis also said that she “believed she heard the perpetrator state that he was having difficulty breathing.”
So you can get away with killing someone but not supervising said killing?
Office who is being charged:
adonis.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
Total scapegoat, plus the fact that she's black seems like this is a calculated move by the PD and/or the union to downplay the racial overtones of this case. Sort of like "see? How can we be racist since the supervisor in charge was black?"

They do realize how fucking transparent this shit is, right?

You think the NYPD gives a fuck about how blatantly obvious this is? You're talking about a police force that is openly and outwardly corrupt, a police force where the HEAD of it literally said "we're not a civil service, we're a business, and it's our job to maintain and run this like a business".

sinxtanx

why is it that my most cynical thought ("it's someone who did not cause his death, isn't it?") as always turns out to be the truth?

andthebeatgoeson

*puts on tinfoil hat*

What's the likelihood she tried to speak out about this and was punished for her actions? The story makes it sound like she was following the typical NYPD course but I can't believe they'll punish her and not the guy choking.

Tagyhag

*puts on tinfoil hat*

What's the likelihood she tried to speak out about this and was punished for her actions? The story makes it sound like she was following the typical NYPD course but I can't believe they'll punish her and not the guy choking.

I think if that were true she would have said something about it.

Tesseract

Banned
makes sense, more actions will probably come

But Adonis was recently promoted to sergeant, putting her on mandatory departmental probation. Because of those circumstances, any NYPD disciplinary action was required within 18 months of the incident, said a police spokesman.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
On one hand. It's terrible that they guy who killed him got off.

On the other hand. I'm glad to see people getting character who had something to do with it. I think that the police system in the country works so hard to cover up crimes is even worse than the crimes being committed.

I mean sure, I think anyone at the scene should be punished to some degree, but how about we punish the people who actively, directly responsible for the death?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1. She wasn't the person on him that killed him

2. She was only ONE out of an unknown amount of supervisors on the scene.

3. No one is being charged for murder, apparently the charge for overseeing murder is "Failure to supervise". Like the kind charge you would get from a Project Manager for fucking up your department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom