• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone is actually being charged for the Eric Garner killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizoxuat

It sounds like she's taking the fall because she forgot to have selective hearing and admitted hearing him saying he couldn't breathe.

Broank

So uh what about that one guy that escalated the whole situation and put him in a sleeper hold, tackled him and jammed his face into the concrete even though he wasn't fighting back? Dude killed him and was obviously being malicious trying to hurt him.

NimbusD

Uh, what? How is she responsible, but the person who killed him not? I could see firing as a scapegoat, but charging? You have the evidence to bring against her but not the actual cop who did it?

DigtialT

How to know if the Blue Wall will protect you:
ShUx0nkOTlo0QNF8rCzoBaMw5SDDyf22FD1lv0PgCy8yF04EPfvXZaJcpraHAwJQeEDUUIXcAt1KfM0IFCR827Vw4CgFKmMHhzQAdzcTPZI0n7O375TnDZjEjMi2zMZ9qpHm_hYp

Dali

I have no idea what the point of this is. Justice was not served and people came to accept that... Or at least it was over. Now after everyone has somewhat moved on (in that "nothing to see here/business as usual" sort of way) they pull this. Don't they realize the dude that straight up murdered this guy was found not guilty? Apparently no crime was committed, so what did the supervisor do wrong? Does that shitbag department think they are gaining some sort of positive public sentiment by hanging someone that had nothing to do with the murder?

Does that shitbag department think they are gaining some sort of positive public sentiment by hanging someone that had nothing to do with the murder?

I can barely even believe that since this news is a big nothing in terms of anything concrete coming out of this entire abortion of justice. I literally would have missed this if it were any other day. Even the family is like, "What the hell are we supposed to think about this?" The PD should find it insulting that they're basically declaring that their beat cops are blameless uncontrollable animals that don't work right unless the supervisor is.

watershed

Banned
So what did she fail to supervise? The murder taking place in front of her? What about the other supervisors on the scene?

Toxi

Banned
Urgh. One supervisor out of many charged for "failure to supervise" while the murderer caught on-camera walks free.

When I read the title, I laughed. I figured it was something really stupid and ridiculous. I clicked and was not disappointed.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I just went back and watched the original video. If the black female officer in the video who I think is Sgt. Adonis is in fact her then I have no problem with her being charged. She stood there and did nothing while the life was being choked out of him. HOWEVER - if she is being charged then every single one of the other officers there should be charged too. They all played a role in this tragedy.

It definitely feels like she is been scapegoated.

watershed

Banned
I just went back and watched the original video. If the black female officer in the video who I think is Sgt. Adonis is in fact her then I have no problem with her being charged. She stood there and did nothing while the life was being choked out of him. HOWEVER - if she is being charged then every single one of the other officers there should be charged too. They all played a role in this tragedy.

It definitely feels like she is been scapegoated.

I think the idea is that she failed to do her job of supervising the situation. In that statement is an implicit admission that something bad happened as a failure of her supervision. We all know what happened, Eric Garner was murdered. But the NYPD doesn't acknowledge that. So one officer is charged for not doing her job properly, and the others? It's like charging someone as an accessory to a murder without charging anyone for murder.

VinFTW

No depths. No depths whatsoever. One man's life ruined permanently, now they're trying to ruin another's. GG NYPD.

She ruined her life the moment she decided to watch a man get choked to death and say nothing about it

its not like shes innocent just because everybody else who is at fault isn't getting charged

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's like charging someone as an accessory to a murder without charging anyone for murder.

Well said. Eric Garner's situation always bothered me the most out of all the incidents with police the last few years. Guy had the life choked out of him on camera over nothing, and nothing happened.

SheSaidNo

I think the idea is that she failed to do her job of supervising the situation. In that statement is an implicit admission that something bad happened as a failure of her supervision. We all know what happened, Eric Garner was murdered. But the NYPD doesn't acknowledge that. So one officer is charged for not doing her job properly, and the others? It's like charging someone as an accessory to a murder without charging anyone for murder.

I think the other officers might be charged in the future, the article states they needed special permissions to charge her earlier than the other officers because she had a smal window after a promotion.
Departmental charges against any other supervisors or officers at the scene are possible, but must be filed by Jan. 17 — unless the targets, like Pantaleo, are the subject of possible criminal charges, sources told The News.

The NYPD had planned to wait on departmental charges in the death until after federal authorities finished their investigation, a police spokesman said.

But Adonis was recently promoted to sergeant, putting her on mandatory departmental probation. Because of those circumstances, any NYPD disciplinary action was required within 18 months of the incident, said a police spokesman.

The NYPD requested and was granted permission by federal investigators to serve the charges.

jmood88

So of the nypd killings last year, only a black woman and an Asian man have been charged. Keep thinking that badge protects your ass.

DrArchon

I thought for a second, jokingly, that they were gonna charge Eric Garner's corpse somehow.

This is a little better, but how about we charge the people how ACTUALLY KILLED THE MAN?

ApharmdX

Banned
The article isn't very in-depth. So these are departmental charges, not criminal charges. She can lose her job but not go to jail, then? I don't feel any sympathy for her, that's a small price to pay for a man's wrongful death.

commedieu

Banned
The article isn't very in-depth. So these are departmental charges, not criminal charges. She can lose her job but not go to jail, then? I don't feel any sympathy for her, that's a small price to pay for a man's wrongful death.

I don't accept her punishment, when the person that murdered Eric wasn't punished. Can't just leap frog that.

ApharmdX

Banned
I don't accept her punishment, when the person that murdered Eric wasn't punished. Can't just leap frog that.

I agree 100% that the officer applying the choke hold (against departmental policy! why was he protected by the department, then?) should have been charged, but the entire Eric Garner killing and the way our system has handled it, is a shitshow. No one is being charged criminally so if someone's career gets ruined, I don't feel sorry for them. She let Garner be choked to death without lifting a finger, and as a police supervisor your job is to make sure that departmental policy is followed.

Of course the agenda here is extremely obvious, but it's the NYPD, so that's to be expected.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dont you guys get it, she was supervising him, standing there watching him do it, and the guy who was doing the choking has no responsibility here or something

hokahey

No, I would be absolutely ecstatic that the piece of shit who murdered him still hasn't been charged.

Would you care either way?

Of course I do. It just seems like some are mad because she's black, not because of the details. It appeared that had she been white, some people wouldn't be angry, which seemed mildly ironic. Hence my question. Are people mad at her race or that she was the person charged. I can't help but think that without the picture, some people wouldn't be upset.

Enzom21

Dude! I thought of you immediately when it was announced. Also thought how terrible it'll likely be lol..
With M. Night Shyamalan involved, it can't possibly be any good.

Of course I do. It just seems like some are mad because she's black, not because of the details. It appeared that had she been white, some people wouldn't be angry, which seemed mildly ironic. Hence my question. Are people mad at her race or that she was the person charged. I can't help but think that without the picture, some people wouldn't be upset.

You care huh? You seem to think that people would rather her be white(which isn't true) and that seems to be your main concern here.
Which people are more upset that she is black? What people are upset by is the fact that the one person that they charged; 1. Wasn't the murderer and 2. The only supervisor being charged just happens to be black. People can be mad at more than one thing when it comes to this shit show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom