• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

World Tour 1 done on normal difficulty! If I switch to easy later on will I earn enough starts to unlock characters or no?

Some of the characters, but not all. You don't even earn enough stars to get all the characters by beating everything on hard, so doing only easy and medium will likely mean you miss at least 5 characters (I'm guessing).

Finally got all 232 stars in World Tour.

I hate Traffic Attack. They're so hard, they're not fun; just frustrating. I didn't struggle *too* much with anything else, but Traffic Attack are a hundred times harder than everything else.

I love the series, but this also bothers me. Developers aren't stupid. They know when something doesn't work, and Traffic Attack definitely doesn't work. It's not fun. Not even fun in a challenging way. It's just bad.

Still waiting for the fix to the Wii U version so I can play it fully.

d0c_zaius

Just got my copy today. I'll probably mess around in the normal modes to get the hang of things, but is there any way to invite others on your friend list to a game?

On that note, I need more Sonic Racing people on my friend list:

NNID: Teknoman

sup dude going to toss you an invite tonight. look for one from 1up_shroom. I have yet to play sonic online but I want to try it out this weekend.

w00tkins

PS3 third world-race here, we can't do fancy things like installing games unless its mandatory or optional from within the game itself~

Oh really? Shows how much I play PS3
KuGsj.gif

Smilax

Oh, if any one of you guys want to add more people, you can add me :D NNID: Smilax

Also, what is everyone's favorite course? I really enjoy the Nights stage.

This game is fantastic, but the boat segments really suck. They sucked in Diddy Kong and they suck here.

Next game just cars and planes, please!

I think the boat segments are okay in the tracks where they give you a ton of water to move around in (OutRun Bay, Race of AGES, for example) It's the absolute worst in the somewhat smaller stages, though.

Coxy

I adore Rogues landing, it just feels perfectly designed even in succeeding laps where it gets blown up, everything just flows so well for tricks and drifts, probably my favourite racing game course since desert in sega rally

olimpia84

I don't suggest opening it until the Wii U version is fixed. Now you can get past some boost trials with the Easy trick, but you still need a ton of stars anyways so overtime you're gonna have a few challenges gimped cause you can only get 1 star.

Why wait? You can always play Gran Prix mode which is fun as hell and at the same time start leveling up some characters. That's what I'm doing at least.

Oh, if any one of you guys want to add more people, you can add me :D NNID: Smilax

I just started, so I have only seen a couple of tracks. But what's the one where you're in a naval airforce base of sorts?

Also, what the hell is the deal with the bees? They are stupid and not fun at all. They're just really annoying.

Tizoc

World Tour 1 done on normal difficulty! If I switch to easy later on will I earn enough starts to unlock characters or no? Anyways it feels like they re-upped the difficulty to SS Tennis levels which I guess I'm okay with. Cause winning the first grand prix by just 1 point was pretty exciting! It feels like it takes longer to get drift boosts. Strangeness. The controls for cars feels great once again, boats & planes need some getting used to but feel pretty nice so far. I like Amigo's toy train car! And the new Sonic course in space!

Presentation to a big hit for the worse however. No music test, reeallyyyy long load times, that big old unskippable copyright screen at startup which lasts like 5 seconds, worse announcer (bring back old guy and stop telling me to select a mode!! I can idle on the menu screen if I want!), an once again save files are uncopyable so if my ancient PS3 ever goes up in smoke I'ma have to go through the game from scratch... x_x

It was a 1.01 update. I couldn't even sign into psn earlier so blah I'll do the code download things some other time if I remember to.

My advise is to play all Races on Normal. Any non-race challenge can be beaten on Hard for the most part. If you can't beat it on Hard after multiple tries, switch to Normal/Medium.

I just started, so I have only seen a couple of tracks. But what's the one where you're in a naval airforce base of sorts?

Also, what the hell is the deal with the bees? They are stupid and not fun at all. They're just really annoying.

That's the AfterBuner track (AfterBurner being the old Sega jet-fighter arcade game, one of the early games with tilting cockpits).

Yeah, bees are damn annoying, but they are really deadly when *you* use them, since they cover such a huge area of the track so more potential to hit lots of enemy cars with them. And your own bees don't attack you.

Coxy

The bees are essentially the blue shell of the game and not nearly as annoying as that. They slow down the whole front of the pack a little and dont individually screw over the person in first and can be avoided usually. They're quite similar to the shock attack in Blur but better designed for the more 3d nature of transformed.

Tizoc

Just checking but the flames on the racing/ground tracks of the Golden Axe stage don't damage you right? They're just visual effects.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh damnit. :(

I ordered this on Amazon a few hours ago for the Wii U.
Got home, tried the PS3 demo... didn't like it much. :(

Hurried to cancel my order, but it was too late.

I'll have to decide whether to stick with it, or return it.

What dint you like about it? I quite liked the normal race, but the boost one was annoying and I couldn't get pat the first checkpoint. Also I much prefer just driving a car, the boat feels slow and the plane controls are weird.

But it's relatively cheap and multiplayer looks fun - it'll hold me over until mario kart, and maybe it'll grow on me (impressions in here are good)

Also, what is everyone's favorite course?

I like all the courses they recycled from the first game. From the new ones, my absolute favorite is Golden Axe, followed by Race of AGES, Shinobi and Burning Rangers (despite the fact it's mostly boat sections).

That said, I fucking HATE the Billy Hatcher course. More than anything else in the game. There is absolutely nothing I hate more in this game. Except maybe Traffic Attack.

Rlan

What I'm most interested in seeing is hackers grabbing the models for secondary characters -- it's awesome that the Burning Rangers fly along with you in the Burning Depths stage, but what do they look like close up?

On The Race Of Ages, third lap, I saw a big white rocket fly by. I'm assuming that's Segata?

The Race of Ages is a weird level for me. It's so over the place that you can't actually see the cool shit around it. "What was that? What was that?" is how I'm playing it. It kind of looks like they were going to make a REZ track at some point and then switched it to Race of Ages? It's kind of weird.

Also I think the NiGHTS level is probably the worst looking in general, mostly because they actually went with the "world is both top and bottom" stuff, which is what makes the NiGHTS levels look great in 2D, but in 3D is makes the world look like it's in a giant cave. The Sega Eyetoy NiGHTS thing looks kind of closer to how I "remember" the level.

robot

I cant fathom how some of you beat these events on Hard or Expert. I'm hitting a wall at around 112 stars. I've seen the tips and whatnot posted here, but man when shit goes south in an event there's really no recovering.

How is the Wii U performance compare to 360? Should I just stick to 360 version like usual when comparing 360/PS3/Wii U?

I am intrigued by the off-TV play.

What I'm most interested in seeing is hackers grabbing the models for secondary characters -- it's awesome that the Burning Rangers fly along with you in the Burning Depths stage, but what do they look like close up?

Not too great. Sometimes Shou will hang out at the starting line at the beginning of a race. You can get a decent look there.

I'll be fucked if I'm ever going to unlock Gilius, one of the only characters in the game I'd like to play as. At least I've got Joe, and Alex Kidd on Christmas Day (not gonna cheat!).

Also I think the NiGHTS level is probably the worst looking in general, mostly because they actually went with the "world is both top and bottom" stuff, which is what makes the NiGHTS levels look great in 2D, but in 3D is makes the world look like it's in a giant cave. The Sega Eyetoy NiGHTS thing looks kind of closer to how I "remember" the level.

I know exactly what you're talking about. When the HD port of Nights came out some reviewers were complaining about the draw distance, but if the entire geometry of the Nights world was rendered at once you'd be in a huge cave and the nice looking backgrounds would be totally blocked!

Were there a great deal of former Bizarre peeps working on this project?

Also, Nintendo is taking a little too long pushing the fix to the Wii U. Hope it happens today.

I am not sure who from Bizarre worked on ASRT, actually. I just know that at least one or two guys are at Sumo now.

Swarm is a fantastic weapon. It serves the same purpose as the blue shell without being cheap and overpowered. You can avoid them, or fire your own weapon at them to clear a path.

Smilax

I like all the courses they recycled from the first game. From the new ones, my absolute favorite is Golden Axe, followed by Race of AGES, Shinobi and Burning Rangers (despite the fact it's mostly boat sections).

That said, I fucking HATE the Billy Hatcher course. More than anything else in the game. There is absolutely nothing I hate more in this game. Except maybe Traffic Attack.

I agree with you on that one. I really hate the Hatcher stage! I mean I love the look, the snowy Christmas feel, but the actually track is just... ugh.

I cant fathom how some of you beat these events on Hard or Expert. I'm hitting a wall at around 112 stars. I've seen the tips and whatnot posted here, but man when shit goes south in an event there's really no recovering.

Don't give up! Just do what I did, do everything on C, then move on to B, then move on to A, and then S. It helps you do three things, lets you play the game more and learn the tracks, level up characters to get their mods, and improve in a steady motion.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Now that I've logged a lot more time in the game, I'm getting a lot meaner at chaining drifts together. There was a few courses where I was chaining Level 3 drifts continuously and rocking out tricks off jumps in every opportunity and placing my drift angles to slide me over boost markers...

...so so so fun when you're clicking on all levels and just massacre everyone.

Had the first feeling of "owning" the 1st place position and beating everyone solidly by 4-10 seconds a bunch of times vs. squeaking out a victory.

Alternatively, I had a few instances where I got super-raped by the computer ended up getting knocked into a wall and taking almost 5 seconds to situate my cart back on track and lose a ton of momentum. Clearly still need to work on my course memorization to avoid that nonsense.

Still an awesome, awesome game.

The Wii-U patch can't come soon enough...I'll be done with the Gran Prix stuff sooner than later.

I find all of the weapons in this game to be pretty cool, except for the Twister/Tornado. I hate that it barely slows enemies down, and the fact that it doesn't do anything AT ALL to CPU players makes it absolutely worthless in single player.

I'm doing some challenges on Easy to get some stickers, and after having been playing on Expert I'm noticing that the game is significantly slower. I hadn't noticed that before; I thought that harder difficulties just made A.I. opponents tougher, and targets stricter, but finishing a race on Easy takes forever.

Katzii

Okay, so if I have a choice of buying the Wii U version or the PS3 version, which is the better to go for? I'm looking to be able to play with people online, but also want to be able to control the game well.

And before anyone tries to suggest otherwise, I don't have a 360, and my PC wouldn't run the game.

Thanks in advance! :)

Smilax

I find all of the weapons in this game to be pretty cool, except for the Twister/Tornado. I hate that it barely slows enemies down, and the fact that it doesn't do anything AT ALL to CPU players makes it absolutely worthless in single player.
Yeah, that's true, also hitting them with a snow ball and then pushing them makes it worse. Because for some odd reason, it makes them go at full speed again lol. However, the twister is good against other players.

I'm doing some challenges on Easy to get some stickers, and after having been playing on Expert I'm noticing that the game is significantly slower. I hadn't noticed that before; I thought that harder difficulties just made A.I. opponents tougher, and targets stricter, but finishing a race on Easy takes forever.
I like to think that C is 50 cc, B is 100 cc, A is 150 cc, and S is well, beyond that lol. There is a difference between the four, that's for sure.

Any word on the Wii-U patch GAF?

No idea. Perhaps later today?

Smilax

How is this game compared to other kart racers? Gonna rent this or Hitman this afternoon.
It's not that bad. If you compare it to Mario Kart, it's a bit more difficult. It really depends on your preferences.
I don't know, but I'm frustrated that Nintendo has had it for a week now and still hasn't released it. That's ludicrous.
Well, worst case scenario, maybe this Sunday? Don't know to be honest.
Played the 360 demo last night with my girlfriend. Getting it on WiiU ASAP. It's great.
That's great! Can't wait to see you on the tracks! :p

How is this game compared to other kart racers? Gonna rent this or Hitman this afternoon.

It doesn't really play like other kart racers, as the controls feel more arcade-like (a bit like OutRun). And that's to say nothing of the fact that you're only in a car about 33% of the time.

But the fact that it has items means that the comparison will always be drawn, so if pressed, I'd say it's better than Mario Kart. There's a much greater emphasis on skill, the tracks are incredibly well-designed, single-player is good, and there's a lot of variety.

triggaz

Banned
I know Ive been bitching about it a lot in this thread but Ive given up way too hard and easy is way too easy just not enjoying it. I like a little room for era but damn.

J@hranimo

Banned
I got my game last Sunday and have been playing it like nuts ever since lol. Game is addicting! Challenging, yet addicting. Does anyone else have it for 360? I'd love to get some online races in sometime this week.

I know Ive been bitching about it a lot in this thread but Ive given up way too hard and easy is way too easy just not enjoying it. I like a little room for era but damn.

What about Medium?

And what are you struggling with? If it's World Tour, just stick with Grand Prix and online until you get better over time.

triggaz

Banned
What about Medium?

And what are you struggling with? If it's World Tour, just stick with Grand Prix and online until you get better over time.

I've mainly been playing Grand prix it's easier online than on Normal weird. I guess the human element comes into play a bit more where as against the a.i. one mistake and it's a wrap (for me annyways)

Top Bottom