• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Thank you very much sir. I should have just been on A class from the beginning, my friends always rank 5th or lower on every race and I place 1st 99% of the time. Oh well, more replay value I guess.

Thank you very much sir. I should have just been on A class from the beginning, my friends always rank 5th or lower on every race and I place 1st 99% of the time. Oh well, more replay value I guess.

Honestly, I tried starting on A-class but got my ass handed to me. It's fine to start with B-class. At the point where it becomes relevant in terms of stars you get, you'll have S-class unlocked and can go for some of the S ranks instead.

The items in this game are generic, and have no ties to any game. Which is sad because in the first game, at least a few of the items were relevant to Sega series (I remember the boost being a Sonic sneaker and instead of the gloves, there were lightning shields also from Sonic).

The items in this game are generic, and have no ties to any game. Which is sad because in the first game, at least a few of the items were relevant to Sega series (I remember the boost being a Sonic sneaker and instead of the gloves, there were lightning shields also from Sonic).

Baseball Glove is from Tommy Lasorda baseball.

Swarm is the robot wasps from Sonic.

Yeah, I'm making this shit up. I have no idea.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just got this on the Wii U (took FOREVER to download). It seems pretty solid for a $40 game. I especially love playing it on just the gamepad. <3

Berordn

Much as I like Race of AGES, I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't a tribute track like Sonic Riders's SEGA Carnival or Illusion that pays homage to all the series that were represented but didn't get their own track.

Other tracks though... I've read some good ideas involving Ecco and Sugar Rush. All I was really able to think up was Doomsday Zone, starting in the Death Egg and following the Eggrobo through its various stages of transformation and then taking off in pursuit. Probably too similar to Galactic Parade to be considered though.

Thinking about picking this up. How did the pre-order bonuses go? Are they pack ins in the first shipment? Is there any way to obtain them for us late adopters? Being for sale at some point in the future would be ok with me.

Should be a pack-in for every first run copy. If it's labelled bonus edition it'll be on the disc for Wii U, or included as an online pass for 360 and PS3. Not sure how it works for Steam, but it'll probably be similar.

kvothe

Much as I like Race of AGES, I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't a tribute track like Sonic Riders's SEGA Carnival or Illusion that pays homage to all the series that were represented but didn't get their own track.

Other tracks though... I've read some good ideas involving Ecco and Sugar Rush. All I was really able to think up was Doomsday Zone, starting in the Death Egg and following the Eggrobo through its various stages of transformation and then taking off in pursuit. Probably too similar to Galactic Parade to be considered though.

Should be a pack-in for every first run copy. If it's labelled bonus edition it'll be on the disc for Wii U, or included as an online pass for 360 and PS3. Not sure how it works for Steam, but it'll probably be similar.

What I would do to get Ecco as a playable character... He's not even in the Sumo poll :(

It IS a poll by Sumo themselves.

Well I know it's on the official Sega forums and this S0l guy is involved, who I assume works for Sumo or something, but the fact that he said:

I will present the result to SEGA. I can't promise anything will happen as a result,

makes me hesitant to put much faith in it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
stupid question, how do you do this? just swipe?

Yeah, swipe down. Not a stupid question at all, either. I had no idea how to do this and had to ask on Miiverse.

Well I know it's on the official Sega forums and this S0l guy is involved, who I assume works for Sumo or something, but the fact that he said

[...]

Well, it's obviously no guarantee, especially with 2nd/3rd party characters like Vocaloid or Bayonetta.
But it's better and definitely more reliable than a random ass internet petition.

Also, regarding Ecco as playable character - boat mode is clear, but what would he use as car or plane modes? (Although Ecco could've been AGES' boat mode instead of the DC controller, but the DC controller made me laugh).

kvothe

Well, it's obviously no guarantee, especially with 2nd/3rd party characters like Vocaloid or Bayonetta.
But it's better and definitely more reliable than a random ass internet petition.

Also, regarding Ecco as playable character - boat mode is clear, but what would he use as car or plane modes? (Although Ecco could've been AGES' boat mode instead of the DC controller, but the DC controller made me laugh).

I'm imagining for the kart maybe some sort of Atlantean chariot of some sort and for the plane, a play on the
time machine

dock

Is there a demo for this on any platform?

Just got this on the Wii U (took FOREVER to download). It seems pretty solid for a $40 game. I especially love playing it on just the gamepad. <3

Oh, it has off-screen play?

Also, I find it insane that anyone could suggest this is anywhere near a good as Mario Kart 7. Do those people just hate Mario Kart 7/DS in general?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Also, I find it insane that anyone could suggest this is anywhere near a good as Mario Kart 7. Do those people just hate Mario Kart 7/DS in general?

Are you saying this without having even tried this game?

I didn't hate MK 7, it just didn't click with me. I really wish Mario Kart would go all out and let you play as Fox, Captain Falcon, Pitt, etc. Maybe have some crazier course design. MK has just become so damned vanilla to me.

But yeah, I've blasted through World Tour and I can say, without a doubt, that I am enjoying this way more than MK 7. Not for the fan service, but it's just a very well made racing game. Sumo is a great team.

Yes, that's why I'm asking.

If you love this game, did you love the previous Sonic Allstars Racing? Also, do you hate Mario Kart 7. Understanding preferences would be useful.

I think MK7 is arguably the best MK game from a certain standpoint (though i'll champion DS as the king myself) and I also think this game is pretty great and on equal footing with MK7.
It has both better and worse track design at times so it's perhaps not quite as consistent, it takes the similar water and air approach to a higher level but it's not as polished leaving some aspects feeling a bit uneven.
It's also got plenty of modes by comparison, no idea why the missions got dropped in MK7.
I prefer it to MK7 on account of the fresher feel this has along with the more risk/reward based sub systems like the tricks (wheras in MK7 there is no risk to tricks, you just need to know when and where to hop) but i'd stop short of calling it outright better due to a few minor bothers.
While similar on a surface level they both angle towards different approaches, MK7 is still the familiar kart game for everyone and easier to get to grips with while this seems like the next step up if you want more of a challenge from the genre with an arcade like twist on kart racing.

Basically it's worth it and has a low price tag as well.

Ein Bear

I didn't hate MK 7, it just didn't click with me. I really wish Mario Kart would go all out and let you play as Fox, Captain Falcon, Pitt, etc. Maybe have some crazier course design. MK has just become so damned vanilla to me.

But yeah, I've blasted through World Tour and I can say, without a doubt, that I am enjoying this way more than MK 7. Not for the fan service, but it's just a very well made racing game. Sumo is a great team.

MK7 is the worst Mario Kart because you can't play as Waluigi.

But seriously, this. I don't know why Nintendo haven't turned the series into Super Smash Karts by now, it'd really freshen things up. Who wouldn't want to play as Link on a Hyrule Castle track, instead of Queen Bee on the millionth track based on Princess Peach's castle grounds?

Berordn

Who wouldn't want to play as Link on a Hyrule Castle track, instead of Queen Bee on the millionth track based on Princess Peach's castle grounds?

...but, there's only two tracks on Peach's castle grounds. They're also the best tracks. :(

Seriously though, I'd have to agree with Nocturnowl about MK7. There's nothing wrong with the game and everything it does, it does very well, but there's not a hell of a lot of variety or challenge in the long run. Transformed has a lot of small things holding it back, but in the long run they're very close in terms of quality.

dk_

The fact that I can play it on the Wii U's gamepad only makes me want to buy that version. Such a cool feature!

dock

Coxy, cheers, downloading the PS3 demo now.

I have vague memories of trying and hating the first game, but I don't remember much more than that. I'd like to give it another chance.

MK7 is the worst Mario Kart because you can't play as Waluigi
Waluigi is my favourite character, yet MK7 remains my favourite Mario Kart.
I thought the 3-section levels in MK7 were a nice twist too, and I loved their treatment of old stages like Rainbow Road. I had no idea people wanted Nintendo to make it into 'Super Smash Kart!' - somehow that idea had never occurred to me either.

Okay, will try the demo and maybe pick it up on Friday :)

Traffic Attacks are actually my favorite part of Career Mode

Ring Races, on the other hand can sod off

Only Ring Race I find to be BS is Panzer Dragoon because there's rocks and shit EVERYWHERE blocking your sight. Nights is almost as bad with that.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Hate them haha. What game are sky tigers even from? My initial guess is Skies of Arcadia. Also, every time I see your avatar I really want to play Diddy Kong Racing, and makes me badly wish it was on the Virtual Console, or even the Live Arcade :(

Sky Tigers... it's hard to explain.

Het_Nkik

I really wish the Wii U patch would go up already so I can unlock some characters. I can only play GP so much and I still haven't been able to successfully play an online race, granted I haven't tried in a few days.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really wish the Wii U patch would go up already so I can unlock some characters. I can only play GP so much and I still haven't been able to successfully play an online race, granted I haven't tried in a few days.

Have you tried setting the glitched event to easy, failing for times and seeing if it'll let you skip it?

Then come back to beat it after the patch for the star value.

Well I know it's on the official Sega forums and this S0l guy is involved, who I assume works for Sumo or something, but the fact that he said:

They still need the go-ahead from Sega even as the developer. So the point of the poll is that he can take it to them and say "see, there's this interest for DLC, give us the money to develop it".

What is the lack of polish that people refer to? I'm wondering if any of those things can be patched up and made better.

Just some minor things, mainly related to collision detection and some scenery clipping, a few small glitches but nothing major outside of the Wii U boost trials and I guess the frame rate for some.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Oh, it has off-screen play?

Yes to off screen play, plus you can play 'split screen' multiplayer with one on gamepad, one on TV. Looking forward to getting it this week.good price in the UK too.

Tried the PS3 demo and the drifting was quite fun - felt a bit ridge racer, a bit outrun 2.

Het_Nkik

Have you tried setting the glitched event to easy, failing for times and seeing if it'll let you skip it?

Then come back to beat it after the patch for the star value.

I know this is unreasonable and I feel like a big old dummy head for admitting it but... I kind of refuse to tell this game I'm not good enough to beat a challenge on the easiest difficulty.

kvothe

The tornado is pretty weird. Sometimes it only mildly slows me down, but other times it leaves me completely helpless for at least a few seconds. It's particularly bad in in planes. What's the best strategy for it? Just stop moving?

Berordn

The tornado is pretty weird. Sometimes it only mildly slows me down, but other times it leaves me completely helpless for at least a few seconds. It's particularly bad in in planes. What's the best strategy for it? Just stop moving?

The tornado, after the initial spinout, inverts your controls. It doesn't have any effect after that, so if you can adapt to driving in reverse fast enough, it won't slow you down at all.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just some minor things, mainly related to collision detection and some scenery clipping, a few small glitches but nothing major outside of the Wii U boost trials and I guess the frame rate for some.

Please tell me I'm not awful at this game or something.

I got to my first boost trial on the Roulette level and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to beat it. I watched a YT video with some guy being it on hard mode and there were all these boost points that simply weren't in my game on medium.

Is that the bug everyone's talking about?...cause that would be wonderful news for my ego.

Smilax

There I was, with 162 stars, I have just recently unlocked Reala and I see the final mission. Right behind it is Ages. I'm ready, I select Hard for the final mission. What do I get? Boat mode on land and a bunch of bugs. I can't wait for the patch. I just went back and did S ranks to get more stars. I have some questions though. Is it possible to finish the final mission and is
Arcade Mod
the final thing I need to unlock?

I realised today that this game has no way of letting you open a custom game to the public. You can only invite people individually. So if you want to play stuff like Boost Race or Battle Race with randoms, you're out of luck.

The lack of customisation in this game's online is really disappointing. :-(

matthwq

Banned
The fact that I can play it on the Wii U's gamepad only makes me want to buy that version. Such a cool feature!

It's pretty neat, although the (IMO) blurry graphics kinda look slightly worse on the screen than they do on my stupid, tiny HDTV. I dunno. It was kinda nice playing it in the guest room this morning, I guess.

Dr Prob

Banned
I realised today that this game has no way of letting you open a custom game to the public. You can only invite people individually. So if you want to play stuff like Boost Race or Battle Race with randoms, you're out of luck.

The lack of customisation in this game's online is really disappointing. :-(

The third online option (want to say it's called Lucky Dip), switches up between regular, boost and battle races (maybe battle mode?) obviously depending on what people vote for.

Won a few battle races the other day and was wondering what happens when you're knocked out. Just kicked back to the lobby?

Top Bottom