• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

13ruce

Banned
100 pages of Mania goodness.
giphy.gif

Neiteio

Replaying Studiopolis, I don't remember seeing the Gallop Lotto part or the flipping letter panels, Wheel of Fortune-style. Insane!

NimbusD

Up to
Hydrocity now, been going back and forth between a Sonic/Tails save and Knuckles save to mix things up. Gotta say I really love this game, though Press garden and starlight highway leave me a bit to be desired, the aesthetic of those levels just feels like somethings missing, I don't feel like I'm exploring, I feel like I'm stuck in a series of tubes.

Overall though it's a blast, but i defeinitely want to go back to Sonic 3 & Knuckles after this, that's perfection.

GenericUser

Finally reached
oil ocean
dat music tho

Finding this game quite hard at times. Not only the bosses (which can be quite easy if you figure them out) but also the regular level hazards.

Man,
Super Sonic
really trivialize's TMZ. Even the boss is piss easy. I can't figure
how to beat the true final boss
though.

For Eggman, dodge his hands and fly into him.
For Emperor Heavy, get hit by his energy blast and use the invincibility frames from you getting hurt to fly into him.

Yes, that's how I beat every boss. It still works!

I think the only time I ever Time Over'd in this game was
Flying Battery Act 2

Took a little too long and, by the time I reached the boss and quickly figured out how to beat it, it was already 10 minutes.

Titanic Monarch A2 was close but, luckily, the timer reset when I reached that boss.

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone know what all the unlockable's requirements are? I want to see if I'll ever be able to get them all or if I should give up now.

Finalizer

Just finished Hydrocity and I have... count them... one Chaos Emerald.

I know the feeling, though I'm doing a bit better. Magically manged to get the 4th emerald on my first try, but the 5th has been dogging me for... Three or four entire zones now. I'm really hating how you get into certain sections where you hit one set of bombs, which ricochets you into another set of bombs that immediately set off (ala Sonic 1 spikes), repeat until the 60+ rings you collected become 10 and you're left in a blue sphere section just waiting for the timer to inevitably run out.

Taking a lot of getting used to.

Up to Oil Ocean now. I'm having tons of fun, but if I had one complaint, it's that the level design at times feels more like a jumble of disconnected platforms and mini-sections ala CD and Megamix than a cohesive design with specific paths like in S3&K. It might be partially to my unfamiliarity with the zones though.

Flying Battery Act 2

Yep, that's the one that got me. Feels like it goes on and on, though to be fair I didn't even realize I was running up against the time limit when I died, wondering if I'd hit some bugged spike under the ground. Guess that says something about how engrossed I was with the level, heh.

Do Sonic games really even need time limits? Especially with zones as massive as these, sheesh.

Up to
Hydrocity now, been going back and forth between a Sonic/Tails save and Knuckles save to mix things up. Gotta say I really love this game, though Press garden and starlight highway leave me a bit to be desired, the aesthetic of those levels just feels like somethings missing, I don't feel like I'm exploring, I feel like I'm stuck in a series of tubes.

Press Garden definitely reminded me of an even numbered Sonic 1 zone, at least Act 1 did. Slower paced with constricted movement and seemingly fairly linear progression. Not that I minded too much, though I can see it being a low point for some folks. At least Act 2 & the respective boss is really fun.

Worst part of this game is easily it's icon on the Switch dashboard. It goes against Nintendo's stated best practices of making the icon look like complete box art rather than some simplistic mobile app icon.
It's going to make even less sense when there's more than one sonic game on the system.

Just finished a second play-through with Tails. Got all the emeralds in one swoop to boot.
The Special Stages are A LOT easier on the second go-around. Same with the regular stages.

After my first play-through, I thought this game was good, but I wasn't about to say it was that good.

Turns out..Yep it is that damn good. This is everything I ever could have wanted in a classic Sonic game and more.

Gonna do a Knuckles play-through and then start writing a full review.

Atrarock

I'm never getting out of this Oil city stage.

I'm done. It's been nice, Sonic Mania.
If you're quitting over a certain boss : enter the fight with the fire shield, get a good solid 3-4 hits before it sinks in the beginning of the fight, dodge the spike jumping out of the oil, go to the far opposite side of the laser and dodge, run back to the boss before it pops out and win. The small bullet/pellet things can't touch the fire shield (or the bubble shield).

Finalizer

Just replayed
Hydrocity
for fun. I love this zone, not sure why it doesn't get more praise.

Those 8-bit Sonic bubble bits were a riot, and I liked that I felt like I knew what I was doing in Act 2... Though that's probably more down to it being very similar to the S3 version. Hydrocity kinda feels like a reverse of the returning zones, where Act 1 has the bigger twists on the classic level while Act 2 feels more like the original.

One of my favorite zones so far, alongside Mirage Saloon.

To some extent, yeah. Though TMZ's music and visual design are more appropriate for a final level imo.

I was hoping that
MMZ
was going to be the last stage so they could do the
"You can't do anything, don't even try" bit again if you didn't have all of the chaos emeralds.

Glad they went with an original stage to end it though. And you're right about the design being more appropriate, because they added those
goddamn energy spheres from the worst bonus stage in the series.

Neiteio

The first act is pretty cool.

The second act is more or less directly lifted from Sonic 3 (aside from the boss, though it borrows elements from 3's mid-boss)

Those 8-bit Sonic bubble bits were a riot, and I liked that I felt like I knew what I was doing in Act 2... Though that's probably more down to it being very similar to the S3 version. Hydrocity kinda feels like a reverse of the returning zones, where Act 1 has the bigger twists on the classic level while Act 2 feels more like the original.

One of my favorite zones so far, alongside Mirage Saloon.
I didn't play Sonic 3, so it's 100% new to me :)

Since the new stuff in Hydrocity is pretty slow-paced, it would feel weird to put it in Act 2 behind the blazing fast classic layout imo.

Neiteio

Hydrocity has a great flow between the bubbles, the fans, the boats, the waterslides, the spiral slides, running on water, the breakable bricks, etc. Stage looks gorgeous too (great color scheme), and the music is so good.

Ironically, it feels easier to survive the underwater segments here than that one part in Chemical Plant Zone, lol.

Hydrocity has a great flow between the bubbles, the fans, the boats, the waterslides, the spiral slides, running on water, the breakable bricks, etc. Stage looks gorgeous too (great color scheme), and the music is so good.

Neiteio, your day of reckoning has come

Do you pronounce it as "hydro city" or "high-drah-city"

This will determine this fate of the world, no pressure

Was the Hydrocity Act 1 boss in a previous game? I thought it was hilarious.

You're driving the same machine Eggman used in the original Act 2, so it's a role
reversal

Demoskinos

So I know that the UFO stages for the Emralds have to all be done in one go but how about the blue orbs? Is progress shared across all files?

Haha, I was just thinking of this. Hydro-city is probably the proper name, but high-drah-city is more fun to say.

But did
Sonic still pilot the machine?

Hydro City would be correct, and don't let anyone tell you different *wink*

Eggman piloted the machine in Sonic 3, with Sonic in the water below.

Sayad

I still prefer
S3's Hydrocity, had a faster flow and less annoying water sections. Wish they recycled more vanilla S3 stages though. They really came through with the volcano area though, huge improvement over the original.

sonto340

Flying Battery Act 2

Took a little too long and, by the time I reached the boss and quickly figured out how to beat it, it was already 10 minutes.

Titanic Monarch A2 was close but, luckily, the timer reset when I reached that boss.
I think the closest to time out I’ve gotten was in
TMZ2
and it was still only at 6 minutes.
What are you people doing in these levels? lol

Top Bottom