• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

bman94

Just checked my Switch profile page...I have over 15 hours played in Sonic Mania. It's currently my most played game in for Switch. Crazy how much I love this game.

Opa-Pa

Beat it for the third time. Tails is next! I have to say this game has some of the most fun bosses I've seen in a platformer, even if a couple were underwhelming.

Just checked my Switch profile page...I have over 15 hours played in Sonic Mania. It's currently my most played game in for Switch. Crazy how much I love this game.

Yeah I'm at "15 hours or more" as well, which is crazy because I own a lot of games. It's only second to Splatoon 2 currently, haha.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A friend and I spent some time tonight playing a lot of Competition mode, experimenting with different routes and figuring out some stage counter-picks for each other's chosen character. We're actually running a local tournament for this next month and want to have a game plan going into it. lol

Even the more automated sections which I always thought were a bit meh in the previous games I enjoy in this one as I feel like they are used to hint at secrets or give you the chance to discover hidden areas.

I've been trying to figure out why the "autopilot" set-pieces generally haven't been bothering me that much in Mania so far, even though they're a big reason why I hold 3&K in lower regard than some of the other games. While I think that it's mostly due to less familiarity with the new game, I think you might also be right; I find myself scanning the screen for item boxes and such as I whiz by quite a bit more often than I do when playing the old games. So there's still some mental engagement even when you're mostly sitting back and letting the pinball machine do its thing.

I also asked the developers to add patch to have an option to disable Super Sonic or remap the button somewhere as sometime I would turn into Super Sonic in levels when I don't mean to, such a stupid design as it's a 2017 game release on systems that have more than 3 buttons there is no need to have players double tap A.

I mean, there was nothing stopping them from doing this on the Genesis either. Classic Sonic has just traditionally been a 1-button game, and the Mania dev team felt like sticking with that tradition.

I do wish that they'd patch in the option for Simple (traditional 1-button) and Advanced controls though. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to map the different functions to at least 3 separate buttons:

- jump & character ability (drop dash / fly / glide)
- shield ability
- transform

13ruce

Banned

I am at 35 hours, most played game is 235 hours Zelda and after that 140 hours of Splatoon 2.

TheOGB

Banned
He made a Trap remix of the Sonic 3 final boss, this guy man. He hasn't posted the stand alone song yet but he plays the finished version near the end of the stream
j7P99fe.gif

gatdamn Tee

Dereck

A friend and I spent some time tonight playing a lot of Competition mode, experimenting with different routes and figuring out some stage counter-picks for each other's chosen character. We're actually running a local tournament for this next month and want to have a game plan going into it. lol

I've been trying to figure out why the "autopilot" set-pieces generally haven't been bothering me that much in Mania so far, even though they're a big reason why I hold 3&K in lower regard than some of the other games. While I think that it's mostly due to less familiarity with the new game, I think you might also be right; I find myself scanning the screen for item boxes and such as I whiz by quite a bit more often than I do when playing the old games. So there's still some mental engagement even when you're mostly sitting back and letting the pinball machine do its thing.

I mean, there was nothing stopping them from doing this on the Genesis either. Classic Sonic has just traditionally been a 1-button game, and the Mania dev team felt like sticking with that tradition.

I do wish that they'd patch in the option for Simple (traditional 1-button) and Advanced controls though. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to map the different functions to at least 3 separate buttons:

- jump & character ability (drop dash / fly / glide)
- shield ability
- transform
I'm watching your playthrough on Twitch

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I wished that the ending credits
had remixes of all the zones like the older games.
that would have been so fucking badass!

Nohar

Aparté : Did You Know Gaming published a video about the game, explaining how it came to be.

You may or may not recognize someone well known here.

As for me, I'm at Lava Reef Act 2. Simply speeding through levels, I'll replay them and seek the chaos emerals on new playthroughs (kinda stuck on the 3rd bonus stage to be honest, but I'm getting better).

Also, bug spotted on the boss of
Titanic Monarch
Act 2:
if both "bands" grab Tails when playing Sonic and Tails, you will be stuck, unable to proceed further. Only solution is to reset the level. Thanksfully, you start again right before the boss.

The other bug that is a little more annoying is the one in which you die once the screen speeds up during Mirage Saloon Act 1 if Sonic is too close to the right-hand side of the screen. Cost me a life.

Bauer91

Just started this today. I've finished both episodes of Sonic 4 but haven't played the Mega Drive games, is this supposed to be as hard as it is for me?

I'm half way through, and three lives is nowhere near enough to pass the whole zone on first try. Are you meant to replay it a bunch before you can beat a zone or am I just not experienced enough with Sonic? Also, I picked Sonic and not Sonic & Tails in the beginning, does that make it harder? It's great but so challenging for some reason, while Mario/Donkey Kong/Rayman games don't give me nearly as much trouble.

Vidiot

Just started this today. I've finished both episodes of Sonic 4 but haven't played the Mega Drive games, is this supposed to be as hard as it is for me?

I'm half way through, and three lives is nowhere near enough to pass the whole zone on first try. Are you meant to replay it a bunch before you can beat a zone or am I just not experienced enough with Sonic? Also, I picked Sonic and not Sonic & Tails in the beginning, does that make it harder? It's great but so challenging for some reason, while Mario/Donkey Kong/Rayman games don't give me nearly as much trouble.

Probably just not experienced enough with classic Sonic. I've played the classics tons and still do and I finished Mania with over 20 lives without ever having to restart a zone.

McNum

This is Sonic in the classic way. I would imagine you're not rolling enough. If you're going fast, especially if downhill or in a part where you're being launched, hit down. Sonic will beat most foes like that.

Some later levels are pretty mean, but as long as you try to grab your rings when you get hit, you can take a lot of punishment in this game. Having Tails along just makes it easier since he can grab rings for you and get a cheeky extra hit in on some bosses, too. Tails even lost his downsides from 2-3 where he'd trigger stage elements or steal bubbles underwater. Tails is only good now.

But yes, classic Sonic is pretty spiteful at times. It likes to check if you're paying attention in the fast parts. If in doubt, roll. If you think you probably shouldn't roll, roll. If you know you absolutely shouldn't roll, then don't, but only then. A move to make second nature is a quick down+jump to do a fast spindash. Great way to be "not here" fast.

I played a lot of S3&K and I still got a few Game Overs on my first run through. The game is legitimately difficult at times. Don't be surprised at a Time Over or two either. Luckily those only cost a life.

Bauer91

Thanks for the tips! I mostly have big trouble with the bosses though, since they're all different and I have no idea what they'll do and how to go about defeating them, heh.

Right now the zone 9 boss kicked my ass, and you gotta replay the whole zone when that happens. If Tails is helpful I should've picked that. Thought it was a 2P mode, there's almost no text in this game to offer any help, even in the menus.

McNum

Thanks for the tips! I mostly have big trouble with the bosses though, since they're all different and I have no idea what they'll do and how to go about defeating them, heh.

Right now the zone 9 boss kicked my ass, and you gotta replay the whole zone when that happens. If Tails is helpful I should've picked that. Thought it was a 2P mode, there's almost no text in this game to offer any help, even in the menus.
Ah, the Oil Ocean Zone boss...

That is probably the hardest straight up platforming boss in the game. You need to take it slow. Get rid of the two tentacle orbs that shoot little pellets and watch for the tentacles that grab the platforms and pull them down. Jump before they pull it down! For all the other attacks it has, the gun, the tentacle spear... Duck in the middle of any platform. Jump if the gun shoots low, otherwise, just hold down to avoid everything else. There's nothing to attack in the gun and spear phase, anyway.

When both turret orbs are down, Eggman is helpless when he's out. Go all out offense on him! If you can bring a Fire Shield, all the better.

Bauer91

Beat him! Also, surprisingly finished the following zone that I started with a single life first try. Two more to go I think?

Game looks and sounds amazing, I'm more used to the physics by now so it's a great time.

Laieon

I've been stuck on flying battery zone a lot longer than I would like to admit. Can get through it no problem now but I'm making absolutely no progress on the boss. Was having a lot of fun with this game up until this point.

I've been stuck on flying battery zone a lot longer than I would like to admit. Can get through it no problem now but I'm making absolutely no progress on the boss. Was having a lot of fun with this game up until this point.

Remember you can grb hold of the spinning bar next to the spikes and be flung in whatever direction you hold when you press jump. Shoot into the bumper on the boss and he will bounce into the spikes at the other side. The trick is grabbing into the bar high enough to hit the boss in the right place!

Just finished a Knuckles & Knuckles playthrough.

Ending Spoilers:

Gotta say, I was hoping for a bit more than a JPEG considering how many people I've heard hype it up as hilarious...

Jofamo

Whats the deal with being able to damage the
Heavies during the Titanic Monarch Act 2 boss?

On all three of my playthroughs so far, I've just avoided their attacks until you're warped back to Eggman to continue damaging him. I can usually get enough hits in to defeat him after the second warp (Shinboi Heavy).

But you can also damage the heavies during those sections. Heavy Gunner for instance, can be damaged by jumping into the horizontal rockets. Shinobi can be jumped into, as can Magician. Rider is one I've only seen a couple of times, but he takes damage too.

I jumped into the fight in debug mode and spawned a bunch of invincibility boxes, and went ham on Shinobi. Over the course of 2 warps to his area, I must have hit him about 20 times, but nothing happens.

What's the point of being able to do damage to these guys?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

On all three of my playthroughs so far, I've just avoided their attacks until you're warped back to Eggman to continue damaging him. I can usually get enough hits in to defeat him after the second warp (Shinboi Heavy).

But you can also damage the heavies during those sections. Heavy Gunner for instance, can be damaged by jumping into the horizontal rockets. Shinobi can be jumped into, as can Magician. Rider is one I've only seen a couple of times, but he takes damage too.

I jumped into the fight in debug mode and spawned a bunch of invincibility boxes, and went ham on Shinobi. Over the course of 2 warps to his area, I must have hit him about 20 times, but nothing happens.

I would imagine that originally the game was going to require you to defeat each of these enemies, but in the end decided it would make the boss too much of a marathon so changed it to the way it is now.

Sayers

So do you only get one shot at the emerald per warp ring? I bet I've tried the 3rd emerald 7 or 8 times now, always run out of time. Don't think I will be getting the best ending at this point.

VariantX

Maybe doing damage was meant to speed up those phases?

So do you only get one shot at the emerald per warp ring? I bet I've tried the 3rd emerald 7 or 8 times now, always run out of time. Don't think I will be getting the best ending at this point.

Yes. Once you beat the game you can use level select on your file, and all big rings will respawn infinitely. After collecting all emeralds you can just replay the final stage to see the true ending.

Just finished a Knuckles & Knuckles playthrough.

Ending Spoilers:

Gotta say, I was hoping for a bit more than a JPEG considering how many people I've heard hype it up as hilarious...
So does the
Titanic Monarch escape sequence happen if you go to Egg Reverie? If not guess who is piloting the ship in the escape sequence? A third Knuckles. Also while the book is titled Sonic Mania & Knuckles the book spine has & Knuckles written on it which can be seen as a reference to that "Knuckles from KNUCKLES & Knuckles Knuckles" or whatever it was called. Perhaps I'm easily amused...

Well, that's 100% clear with all characters and 100% of the bonus stages complete.

Can't say I've done anything like that with another game any time lately.

Finally got all the gold medals today!

Feelsgood.gif

Man that last stage with the 4 balls qnd 15 rings was a bitch to complete, how did you manage to beat it?

So for the lulz, I started another game with Knuckles to see the earliest I can get all the chaos emeralds. I used a YT walk through because I didn't feel like searching for every giant ring.

By Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 I got all 7. That's insane.

Finally got all the gold medals today!

Feelsgood.gif

Man that last stage with the 4 balls qnd 15 rings was a bitch to complete, how did you manage to beat it?

I cut through the row of white balls in the middle

So for the lulz, I started another game with Knuckles to see the earliest I can get all the chaos emeralds. I used a YT walk through because I didn't feel like searching for every giant ring.

By Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 I got all 7. That's insane.

Knuckles can get like 6 emeralds before the act 2 boss

KodaRuss

I just got a bug on the final boss of Titanic Monarch.
Both of the hands grabbed tails at the same time and they both disappeared. No hand to grab Sonic so I guess I am stuck.

Just finished the game with Sonic and Tails and all 7 emeralds, and the ending was kinda lackluster imo. Im not sure if it's supposed to be so short or not for the first playthrough.
Little Planet is quickly freed a la Sonic CD, then roll to credits without any footage during
. Admittedly, I went into this game blind, without reading up on the story, but I feel like even if I had, it would still feel abrupt.

I will say though that Titanic Monarch was hell to get through. With enemy placement/hazards that cheap and levels that are basically mazes, I got flashbacks of Metropolis Zone and Metallic Madness. It really makes me wonder why time limits were brought back. This is a problem Ive had since Sonic CD. With levels this long and complex to explore through, 10 minutes often isnt enough to finish a stage and beat the boss. I dont think theres one zone, outside of Green Hill that I didnt lose at least one life from a "Time Over".

The final battle using Super Sonic was also kinda simple (just jump to hit the bosses and collect rings), but I cant complain as that's been the standard since 1994.

Opa-Pa

One thing that confused me about the story... Is the entire game supposed to take place in Little Planet or does it only appear at the end because the second to last stage is MMZ?

One thing that confused me about the story... Is the entire game supposed to take place in Little Planet or does it only appear at the end because the second to last stage is MMZ?
Only the returning Sonic CD zones take place on Little Planet, Robotnik wanted to take the place over again, or at least reuse Metal Sonic

Storytelling in this game sucked.

I just hated the lack of translations in the 2nd half of the game.

Like how did they get from Stardust Speedway to
Hydrocity
?

How did they go from
Hydrocity
to a plane heading to Mirage Saloon?

Judging by the random pieces left in the debugged
Lava Reef
, there was a lot of stuff left out.

Opa-Pa

Only the returning Sonic CD zones take place on Little Planet, Robotnik wanted to take the place over again, or at least reuse Metal Sonic

I mean yeah that's what I assumed at first, but I got confused when
I finished the game, and after escaping Titanic Monarch, the heroes watch Little Planet being freed, etc, just like in CD, even though in theory TM doesn't take place there?

I finished the game, and after escaping Titanic Monarch, the heroes watch Little Planet being freed, etc, just like in CD, even though in theory TM doesn't take place there?

I guess TMZ is supposed to still be on the planet and a direct continuation from the zone before, which is from CD

Berordn

You can probably assume that
Metallic Madness was brought back to production in order to assist in the creation of TM, which you directly proceed to after fighting Egg-Gacha
. At this point the only mystery is why
we go from Stardust Speedway on Little Planet back to Hydrocity on Angel Island, and later from Oil Ocean back to Lava Reef, again on Angel Island.
Aside from those there's enough hints to link the rest together.

TM does take place there actually. It's the giant Eggman robot you see briefly in the ending.

Basically, the story is this:
Sonic and Tails head to Angel island to check out a strange energy signal (the Phantom Ruby) but Eggman has sent the hardboiled heavies (at this point normal Eggrobos) to retrieve it. It warps them to GHZ and changes the Eggrobos to the heavies that you fight later and makes them crazy. After the boss, Eggman takes the ruby and warps you to Chemical Plant.

From there you travel to Studiopolis and eventually board the rebuilt Flying Battery. It presumably lands or crashes at Press Garden, where Eggman teleports you (and himself) to Stardust Speedway on the Little Planet. It's unknown whether or not he teleports the planet closer so he can chain it up again or if it just happens to be the time of year when it appears, but at this point he's clearly looking for (and then rebuilds) Metal Sonic.

After that you end up in Hydro City Zone without an explaination, but you can pretty much assume that the ruby did it since that's how you've been teleported to different places so far. From Angel Island you take the Tornado (which was presumably left there after the intro) to Mirage Saloon, which leads into Oil Ocean.

No idea how you get to Lava Reef from there. Probably the ruby again. The Little Planet is now chained to Angel Island (you can see it in the background) so it can be inferred that you climb the chain or fly to it, where Eggman is building the Titanic Monarch mech in Metallic Madness. The Little Planet is freed, the end.

In the true ending, after you beat the boss, Heavy King swoops in to take the Phantom Ruby and you fight the two of them as Super Somic as they squabble over it. After you win, Sonic gets knocked out of his super state and the ruby and chaos emeralds react with each other creating a portal that Sonic goes into, presumably leading to Sonic Forces.

Knuckles's story is concurrent to Sonic and Tails's, with a few differences in how events happen. They're traveling together for most of the game so you can assume they met up in GHZ.

Top Bottom