• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

nillapuddin

Just started and I'm getting massive slowdown on a Xbox One S. It becomes even more unplayable when I get a notification. Is it because I have the preview dash or is the game just this bad? Isn't it supposed to be 60fps instead of 6 fps? Seems awesome besides that...

Same here, significant frame drops through most intense areas and yeah when a notification pops it drops into seemingly single digits

Don't you mean Ashura?

if that's the case how about Wechidna skin then

Tenstar2.png

The rap portion from M
etallic
M
adness
Zone's music really reminds me of some other game music, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's The World Ends With You? Anyone else think that?

Just finished my first playthrough with Sonic and Tails and got all the emeralds. SO FREAKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to go with Knuckles next.

Two issues I had ,

One small gripe I have is that there are some Zone transitions that don't make sense or don't have a neat little segue like the other ones do. You beat Act2 of one place and instead of a cute little animation showing you where you're off to next, it just fades out and youre in the new place. ALL of the zones shouldve had it. Most do, but again when a couple didn't it was jarring.

The other issue I had is when you have 7 Chaos Emeralds and fight the final Boss,
Every boss in the game is great EXCEPT this one! This is by far the weakest Super Sonic fight in the history of the franchise. I don't understand how these guys got it so wrong. It wasn't epic, it wasn't difficult, they took to many hits, no epic music. Just, wow, how could they get all the other bosses so right and this was so lackluster. Robotnic AND the Robot Bossman shouldve been fighting each other at the same time. So you and every else is going after the Emerald as it gets knocked around. I can;t believe this was it for a Super Sonic fight. I really hope getting the emeralds as Knuckles and Tails will unlock another Final FINAL boss fight of epic proportions.

Also, just want to throw this out there, Sonic 3 + Knuckles is still the ultimate best 2d Sonic experience of all time. It's a little unfair because it's two games in one, but that game feels so EPIC because of it. The chaos emeralds, the HYPER emeralds. The final final boss. If anyone hasn't played it and Mania is your first step into 2d Sonic, you MUST play Sonic3+Knuckles somehow. It's a masterpiece.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm in fucking love. Omfg. The statue, the genesis cartridge... No fucking regrets getting the CE. game is fucking amazing.

Tidalwave

Infuriated by a glitch in
oil ocean. Every time the bosses circular tentacles appear and pull down the stage, the oil instant kill me. Every single time. I tried this boss fight 9 times. I've gone through both acts three times. Not pleased. I hate these levels.

One small gripe I have is that there are some Zone transitions that don't make sense or don't have a neat little segue like the other ones do. You beat Act2 of one place and instead of a cute little animation showing you where you're off to next, it just fades out and youre in the new place. ALL of the zones shouldve had it. Most do, but again when a couple didn't it was jarring.

Not the only one. The first time it happened, I thought that scene was very quick, and I must have just missed it. Then it happened again, and I was pretty disappointed.

Oh neat, you can use the touch screen for the menus on the Switch version lol

This isn't even a standard in Nintendo's games. I'm surprised.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
fuck the oil ocean zone 2 boss. lost 13 lives to him. have no trouble with the sonic 3 counterpart. way too easy to get insta-killed, way to easy to lose your rings and be unable to retrieve them :/
oil ocean. Every time the bosses circular tentacles appear and pull down the stage, the oil instant kill me. Every single time. I tried this boss fight 9 times. I've gone through both acts three times. Not pleased. I hate these levels.
that's not a glitch.

Jump in the middle of the glitched platforms into the oil and just hit Eggman directly when he pops up.

That's how I did it.

Spaghetti

This might have already been asked, but does anybody else think there are references to Columns in
Stardust Speedway Act 1
? I saw something that made me wonder...

sleepnaught

Lol, well, looks like Sonic bricked my Switch for the next few hours. The game froze and I can't use the power or home button to get out of it. Unbelievable.

delta_reg

fuck the oil ocean zone 2 boss. lost 13 lives to him. have no trouble with the sonic 3 counterpart. way too easy to get insta-killed, way to easy to lose your rings and be unable to retrieve them :/

that's not a glitch.
That's weird, I never had a problem with insta kills on that boss. I think as long as you're not on the two platforms when he pulls them down you're okay. I just jumped in the water or on the third platform whenever it was about to happen. For me it's one of those fights you just got to be patient and careful and it goes better, in my experience anyway. But perhaps I just got lucky the two times I beat it.

Jump in the middle of the glitched platforms into the oil and just hit Eggman directly when he pops up.

That's how I did it.

Maybe I'll try that. My problem is I keep jumping off the side platforms to take out his arms, and maybe that's wasting time and I should just be killing Eggman to begin with? I dunno. I'll give that a shot in the morning.

But yeah, I wonder if they'll do anything about that boss. There's challenging but the sheer difficulty of getting your rings back combined with the random instakills is practically merciless. I have no problem with the "game over = redo whole zone" system in theory, but in practice 90% of my deaths have been from that boss alone. It's such a staggering contrast from the rest of the game which has its challenges but is overall pretty fair.

This game is giving me some serious nostalgia, but it is also bringing back some old frustrations I had with the series.

Ex. I love it when I get to explore the levels and do some platforming at my own pace, but I hate it when the game wants to funnel me into a set piece event, yet whatever I need to do in order to trigger said event is either unintuitive or not immediately obvious.

Edit: also, sometimes there's so much shit on screen that is hard to figure out what is an enemy or obstacle that can hurt me, and what is just a harmless prop. It's specially annoying when you are going fast and couldn't possibly have time to react.

GOD, everything about
Metallic Madness
is sooooo good. That soundtrack!!! That
Sonic 1 final boss homage at the end of Act 1!

I adore this beautiful, glorious game.

My man

Had absolutely no affinity for that stage in
Sonic CD
but I effin' love it here. Awesome gimmicks and music. Dat level design.

oneida

You sure? Landing in the oil isn't always an instant death. It happened to me only twice.
right, landing in the oil isn't an instakill but being on the platform when it's pulled under is. even if you just land on it from a jump as it's going under.
It is. Just like in the game it originated from, you're supposed to be able to jump out.
The boss doesn't have that move in S3. it's not a glitch.

jman2050

I am bad at sonic, i died on the first level alot. How do i play as sonic chu? I heard in EGM that its a secret unlockable.

Press up 500 times on the title screen and then press A, B, and +. Make sure you don't do it 501 times though or else you'll play as Silver instead.

Guess Who

Banned
Try standing still or jumping onto it as it's pulled down.

I mean, that is me jumping onto it as it's being pulled down, haha. That suggests to me it's forgiving if you just happen to be on the platform for a split second before it pulls you down. If people are just standing perfectly still as the platforms are being pulled down and it kills them, then they should probably just not do that. Even on my first run, my instinct when I saw
pink tentacles curling around the platform I'm on
was "I should probably get off this platform."

oneida

I mean, that is me jumping onto it as it's being pulled down, haha. That suggests to me it's forgiving if you just happen to be on the platform for a split second before it pulls you down. If people are just standing perfectly still as the platforms are being pulled down and it kills them, then they should probably just not do that. Even on my first run, my instinct when I saw
pink tentacles curling around the platform I'm on
was "I should probably get off this platform."
The problem is if you hit the metal sphere only once you're likely to fall into the platform and get instakilled. it's a shitty boss, but it's not a bug.

Ponchito

I haven't really played Sonic games in my 25 years playing video games. I bought this enthusiastically but I don't get the gameplay. Could somebody give some tips please? I keep losing rings and it's getting in my nerves.

Ugh, the first time I launched this game it played PERFECTLY. Everytime after it has massive slowdown and the music intermittently cuts out. Literally unplayable.
Edit: Now it's back to normal. What is going on?

I haven't really played Sonic games in my 25 years playing video games. I bought this enthusiastically but I don't get the gameplay. Could somebody give some tips please? I keep losing rings and it's getting in my nerves.

Whenever you're running fast in one direction, instinctively hold down to curl up. You keep your speed going and you'll plow through any enemies that pop up. Honestly a lot of Sonic just comes down to basic instinct and muscle memory, so there is a bit of a learning curve at first.

Keeping your rings basically comes down to jump timing/control and using the roll and Spin Dash to your advantage when moving.

Stop getting hit. When you do, gather the rings you dropped. Unless you're trying to collect a certain number of rings, you only really need one ring to be safe.

oneida

yeah, fuck that boss. just game over'd again. I've completed every classic sonic except CD and never hit a roadblock this bad. think I'm done for the night.

Guess Who

Banned
The problem is if you hit the metal sphere only once you're likely to fall into the platform and get instakilled. it's a shitty boss, but it's not a bug.

I can only shrug at this point. Didn't have a problem with it.

The games expect you to get hit, which is why the "health" system is extremely forgiving - as long as you have just one ring, you'll survive any hit (besides an insta-death like getting crushed). These games are designed to be replayed and time-attacked so that you learn the layout of the level through multiple runs, rather than expecting you not to fuck up on your first try. If you get hit and lose your rings, just pick them up and keep going - it's no big deal.

13ruce

Banned
A bit surprised that Sonic Mania Switch is the current bestselling version on Amazon US.

Fits well there imo.
Plays very nicely in handheld mode and Sonic fits very well with the Nintendo audience i guess.

I'm hoping Mania sells well on all platforms tho i want it to reach a million+ but i am sure that will happen:p

Cuz i need more of this classic Sonic goodness.

Colby

I'm almost done with my first playthrough, and it's a wonderful game. I did encounter one glitch, though. In
Flying Battery Act 2
, there's a part where the ground gets blown up, and Sonic falls down, and then there's a
twisty mesh thing
, you know, the thing that
flips you around and around
. Anyway, I got stuck in the upper left part of the wall, right when the ground blows up and Sonic begins to fall. I couldn't move, and every time I tried to jump, it made the jump sound, but nothing happened. I had to restart the level.

I know that's a horrible description of where the glitch happened, but I'm not so good with words, okay? Anyway, it only happened once, and that was the only glitch I ran into. Any Sonic fans who are on the fence, GO BUY IT! IT'S AMAZING!

Fits well there imo.
Plays very nicely in handheld mode and Sonic fits very well with the Nintendo audience i guess.

I'm hoping Mania sells well on all platforms tho i want it to reach a million+ but i am sure that will happen:p

Cuz i need more of this classic Sonic goodness.

Well while Amazon is in no way indicative of actual sales across he board, I had expected - and still expect - the PS4 version to sell the most, but the Switch version to sell the best proportional to the userbase.

What's the drop dash move I keep hearing about with sonic?

Jump then press the button again (and hold it?). Sonic should spin faster and you should hear a sound if done correctly. When he lands, he'll do an instant dash.

Ponchito

I can only shrug at this point. Didn't have a problem with it.

The games expect you to get hit, which is why the "health" system is extremely forgiving - as long as you have just one ring, you'll survive any hit (besides an insta-death like getting crushed). These games are designed to be replayed and time-attacked so that you learn the layout of the level through multiple runs, rather than expecting you not to fuck up on your first try. If you get hit and lose your rings, just pick them up and keep going - it's no big deal.

Thanks that's really helpful.

How do you save your progress. I got through act 1 of the first level but if I quit I get taken back to the start of act 1.

Top Bottom