• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Quick question. I'm up to Mirage Saloon and have only been able to find two of the Special Stage Rings. Once I finish the game, can I go back with level select to get the rest or do I need to start over on another save?

They respawn after clearing, like in Sonic 3.

Guess Who

Banned
Quick question. I'm up to Mirage Saloon and have only been able to find two of the Special Stage Rings. Once I finish the game, can I go back with level select to get the rest or do I need to start over on another save?

Yep. Once you finish the game, your save file will become "clear" and you can freely go back to any level you want, and all special stage rings will respawn.

Sixfortyfive

I was using the poles.

One hit does not equal spike contact, the collision detection is very finicky about how you hit him vs where he tilts vs where he hits the spikes, and I'd say on average, half my hits were duds. Maybe more.

Oddly enough, my first run was going swimmingly until I got the timeout...

Make sure to target only his bulb (the rest doesn't seem to be solid) and to hit him when he's at the top half of the screen. It's almost always a guaranteed hit.

the UFO (which, thankfully or horrifically depending on your POV, doesn't have rubberband AI).

This is good info.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just had two of my friends who don't really play video games anymore play a few levels on this after a few brews. Huge sonic fans when they were kids. Seeing the looks on their faces as they saw the changes through out the first few levels was pretty cool, especially since they were so familiar with the level art/music and thought they knew these beginning zones like the back of their hand lol. Game is so awesome.

Anyone else find the final Special Stage surprisingly easy after the 5th and 6th ones? Those two took me 5 or 6 times, but the last one I finished on my second try, after getting damn close the first time.

Beat it on my first try without even hitting Mach 3. Was such a relief too.

I was using the poles.

One hit does not equal spike contact, the collision detection is very finicky about how you hit him vs where he tilts vs where he hits the spikes, and I'd say on average, half my hits were duds. Maybe more.

Oddly enough, my first run was going swimmingly until I got the timeout...
Well dang, hope they can tweek this battle a bit then. Guess I hit the hitbox lottery

BNGames

I know there is plenty of video out there already, but here is a few of my own.....

My first 15 Minutes: https://youtu.be/VhLrgG_znwY

Prerecorded Livestream: https://youtu.be/hhwDxcpO4ww

fjFOqYVl.jpg

Well dang, hope they can tweek this battle a bit then. Guess I hit the hitbox lottery
I suspect there might be some truth to this:
Make sure to target only his bulb (the rest doesn't seem to be solid) and to hit him when he's at the top half of the screen. It's almost always a guaranteed hit.

At the very least, it'd be nice if the game gave better feedback on why an attempt failed... I'll probably experiment with some stuff when I come back through that level with Tails.

Ponchito

Not sure how much this'll help, but here's my summary of the design philosophy of these games:

"when in doubt, roll" is probably a good starting point. Also, if you're getting fed up a bit, easy mode (Tails) might be worth a shot. Also also, if you have somebody to local co-op with, you can try the easiest mode, which is Sonic + invulnerable 2P-controlled Tails wrecking everything in sight.

Thanks for the heads up man. I'm going to try to put it into practice.

Sixfortyfive

At the very least, it'd be nice if the game gave better feedback on why an attempt failed... I'll probably experiment with some stuff when I come back through that level with Tails.

The feedback is noticing that he sometimes barely moves an inch when hit low because he slows down when he slides along the ground.

That was my takeaway, anyway.

I got my first emerald on fifth level. So the objective to finding an emerald is to explore and find a giant ring?

What are the medals for?

Sorry, been gaming since 84 but Sonic has never been my thing and still learning.

Phediuk

The best part about Sonic Mania is that it actually made me forget that the last 20 years of Sonic games happened. While I was playing, my headcanon started going straight from the Genesis games to this.

the second-best part is that it's literally the best Sonic game ever made.

this game is a miracle.

Griss

The game is frustrating me right now. Game over-ed to the bosses of Zone 7 and then twice in Zone 9. Neither boss is very good at all and both involve tons of waiting around. Being sent back to the very start of the zone is not a lot of fun, not something I remember fondly from childhood.

Also, Zone 7 was weak. I honestly could barely tell I wasn't playing the original zone. In most cases they've done a great job of remixing old zones but here it literally just felt like the exact same thing. At least the very next zone was absolutely fantastic.

I really should get back to it and beat it, but the thought of playing through the entirety of Zone 9 for a third time in a row just to have to fight that awful boss again is wearying. It's the worst kind of boss - challenging while being incredibly slow and boring.

I got my first emerald on fifth level. So the objective to finding an emerald is to explore and find a giant ring?

What are the medals for?

Sorry, been gaming since 84 but Sonic has never been my thing and still learning.

You want to explore, find giant rings and get 7 emeralds before beating the game, though most won't do that on their first playthrough. In other Sonic games this sometimes unlocked a 'true' final level or boss.

As for the medals they unlock things like a sound test and other minor features in the menu, I believe. They aren't critical to the actual game at all.

Sixfortyfive

What are the medals for?

Collect all 7 emeralds (UFO) as Sonic to get the true ending (and other in-game effects).
Collect the gold medals (Blue Sphere) to unlock things in the Extras menu.

What are the medals for?

Yes; each low-poly ring leads to a Dimensional Heist stage with an Emerald.

Without spoiling anything: they unlock things.

Guess Who

Banned
I think what makes 5 difficult is related to what makes 7 easy.

I think 5 is counter-intuitive that there are a few longer routes with close to no benefit (woop de doo, you picked up ~12 blue spheres) that set you back a ton - it's better to just take the shorter route and get those spheres further down the track while also being closer to the UFO (which, thankfully or horrifically depending on your POV, doesn't have rubberband AI).

Shortening your locus in 5, avoiding grass, avoiding bombs, and picking up as many blue spheres on that route makes it consistent.

On the flipside, Stage 7 has a shit ton of corners you can cut and it's completely possible to easily nab the UFO at Mach 2.

edit: The relationship being the way the pickups are positioned in 5 (longer routes) puts you at a disadvantage, while the way pickups are placed in 7 (especially the bubbles) teach you to cut corners.

Thanks for this post - when I started thinking about special stage 5 this way I finally managed to clear it. Then I beat special stage 6 in one try immediately after, haha.

Branduil

Man the
secret final boss
is super confusing.
It makes it seem like you're supposed to fly around and fight but it's WAY easier to fight on the ground. Also I don't understand the point of the flying dash move, all it does is make you lose a bunch of rings.

Thanks, guys.

Just beat the (zone 6 spoilers?)
cybersonic
boss fight. That was fun figuring that one out.

Seems to be the easiest Sonic game I've layed thus far. Came close to beating Sonic 2 but that's it.

I can't get past zone 2 damn it. I'm struggling. I just don't get the controls.

Not sure what you mean. The controls are very basic. Left, right, and jump. Down makes you roll while moving. If stationary, holding down and repeatedly pressing jump will cause you to spin quickly on the spot. Release down to zoom off quickly. There's not much else to add.

It's basically why I won't purchase it on the Switch, even despite owning a pro controller. It's amazing how badly they messed up controls for classic games.

It feels perfectly fine to me. Completely forgot I wasn't even using a "proper" d-pad.

Griss

It feels perfectly fine to me. Completely forgot I wasn't even using a "proper" d-pad.

Yeah, this is the first game I've needed a 'd-pad' for and I was worried, but my brain didn't even notice any difference between playing in handheld mode and playing docked.

Also, this game was made for handheld mode. It's glorious that way.

gafneo

Banned
I think I stumbled upon a cheat. In GZ one 30 seconds in there's a special ring in the middle of the stage. Once I collected the emerald I got the second special ring 1:30 in. Collected prize then restarted stage and new challenges appear in special rings. No need to find rings in further levels. Just keep winning in stage 1 to collect all 7.

Guess Who

Banned
How often are you folks using/did you use the drop dash in the game? I think I only used it about a handful of times so far.

It's best used once you know a stage. It's super useful for picking up speed after jumps, but you have to know that you're not just going to dash into a wall or off a cliff afterwards to take proper advantage of it.

How often are you folks using/did you use the drop dash in the game? I think I only used it about a handful of times so far.
Used it plenty of times in the earlier stages, but eased up on it in the middle to later stages when searching for Giant Rings became a priority. I can see myself using it more when I'm more familiar with the stage layouts.

I miss Insta-shield but I'm glad for drop-dash's creation.

MarkusRJR

Wow I hated those "get the blue sphere" levels back in the day and I still hate them now. Sets off my motion sickness in the same way the first Sonic Adventure does.

I've only been able to beat the first one too, seems to get impossibly difficult. Any tips?

I used drop dash quite a lot in earlier levels, but it becomes a lot more difficult to pull it off later on when spaces are tighter. It's going to be fun seeing how people use this in runs.

I miss Insta-shield but I'm glad for drop-dash's creation.

Drop dash is genius. It would be great if we could use it and insta-shield together. I mean, all you need is a quick tap to shield, and hold to dash, so it would work fine. That, or move another special ability to another button. Two buttons aren't too many for classic Sonic.

Lol, well, looks like Sonic bricked my Switch for the next few hours. The game froze and I can't use the power or home button to get out of it. Unbelievable.
Hold the Power button for a while, might be up to 20-30 seconds. The Switch should forcibly reboot.

I love it. Occasionally I triggered it by accident, but I love being able to ready a mini-spindash in the air.

Does the Switch version suppord the "Dpad" in handheld mode? I don't wanna control Sonic with an analog stick.

Yup. I used a Pro Controller, but same thing.

Does the Switch version suppord the "Dpad" in handheld mode? I don't wanna control Sonic with an analog stick.

Yes. I'm using them and have barely noticed they're four separate buttons.

Are there any bonus levels other than the emerald levels and blue sphere? I'm missing the bonuses from Sonic 3.

ryan13ts

Anyone found any Giant Ring locations in
Hydrocity Zone Act 1
yet? I've looked up and down throughout the level and can't find a single one yet

Sixfortyfive

Wow I hated those "get the blue sphere" levels back in the day and I still hate them now. Sets off my motion sickness in the same way the first Sonic Adventure does.

I've only been able to beat the first one too, seems to get impossibly difficult. Any tips?

Looking up maps can help a lot for planning a route if you need one. A lot of these stages were ported over from S3&K, so you should be able to find a lot of them out there already even if nobody's started on the new ones in Mania.

And if you don't already know how to turn a cluster of spheres into rings, look it up. You need all of the rings in a stage to get a gold medal, but even if you're only going for silver, it's still useful to turn blue spheres into rings instead of more red spheres that you might have to avoid later.

Finished the game and managed to get the last three emeralds I needed before the last two zones (which I couldn't find the Special Rings in). A couple bosses gave me trouble (mainly the
Oil Ocean Zone Act 2 boss, I believe they made that boss harder!
), but I got through in 2nd/3rd tries for all but the one I put in spoilers. I had over 30 lives in the end, so it's good to know I'm not rusty in playing a classic Sonic game.

Overall, I had an absolute blast! The last time a Sonic game has kept me hooked was Sonic Generations, and the team absolutely nailed how classic Sonic level design should be. The Dimps Sonic 4 is a complete fraud compared to this.

Now I'll get all the Blue Sphere medals...which will take a lot of tries.

God this game highlights why I fucking hate Sonic games. Feels even cheaper then Sonic 1 in places, and these PAINFUL bosses. That's what I get for letting my sonic 3 nostalgia get the better of me. Fuck this gameplay loop.

Top Bottom