• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

Highly doubt it, but I guess anything's possible with some downgrades.

Edit: shame 3d support in games is all but dead at this point. Even some 3ds games like Pikmin are 2d only now

Berordn

Source? I really want to play this at midnight but history so far with the Switch has shown otherwise of non-Nintendo games not releasing at midnight EDT.

It did in Australia, but we don't really know for sure elsewhere. PSN is unlocking it at midnight, but Xbox Live isn't.

There's a nonzero chance of a midnight launch, but there's no confirmation.

Grakl

Wow the last good console Sonic game came out before I was born lmao, time to finally see a good one release

Arkeband

Banned
It's annoying to know that the whole reliance on old stages isn't even the team's fault. It was something Iizuka mandated.

I don't get how that guy still has a job at Sonic Team. He was the director of Shadow the Hedgehog for christ's sake. I suppose he does deserves some credit for getting this game off the ground, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fine if they're going for nostalgia, which this is (hence "Mania" instead of being a numbered entry) but if they do at some point continue the side scroller entries properly, it will need to be it's own thing.

This gets a pass because it's a proof of concept and being able to seamlessly integrate older levels is establishing credibility than anything else.

Griss

We need sequels Sonic Paradise and Sonic Hysteria so the true mainline series can be Sonic 123KMPH. Although that's a bit slow by Sonic's standards.

Wow the last good console Sonic game came out before I was born lmao, time to finally see a good one release

I feel like we should spin this off into it's own thread as it's an interesting question (when was the last good Sonic game) and yet discussion of it here will only upset some people. Fuck it, I'm doing it.

These scores are fantastic. I expected greatness but I couldn't have imagined scores this good.

2017 truly is the year of dreams.
Man it's like the whole "Crash was never good" shit posts all over again.
A lot of different people are going to have a lot of different opinions. Try not to take them so personally.

Fuck SEGA for Sonic 4 and marketing it so heavily on fans nostalgia. It was nothing but a souped up mobile port given an important title to whip fans into a frenzy.

Thank SEGA for realising their mistake and taking a chance on some fans to bring back the real 16 bit+ magic to the series.

Strike

giphy.gif

Big One

Banned
Sonic Colors came out less than 10 years ago.
Colors and Generations are genuinely fantastic games. Not just good in compared to the crap before, but genuine polished experiences with good level design and the works. Unleashed isn't too bad either, if you pretend it's a spiritual successor to Sonic R since all you're doing is boosting and running straight, lol.

Though they were pretty much the first 3D Sonic games to have like actual branching paths and big levels ala Sonic 3's style, so that might've played a huge part in my love for them. Lost World had a similar philosophy but had issues because of it's lack of dev time.

jariw

Source? I really want to play this at midnight but history so far with the Switch has shown otherwise of non-Nintendo games not releasing at midnight EDT.

Overcooked was released at midnight in the EU, that I'm sure of, because that's when I bought it. I'm pretty sure there has been a few other Switch indie releases at midnight as well.

The whole reaction to this game has been fascinating. It's created a civil war among the sonic fanbase between fans of old sonic, fans of new sonic, and both fans of old and new.

MizzouRah

Should I pick this game up on Switch or hold off for PC release?

I like the idea of being able to play with essentially any controller I choose on PC.

Mark1

The ignorance towards Generations. That game is one of Sonic Team's finest entries. Granted not as good as the classic trilogy, or this from the looks of it.

I've been looking for a new Switch game. This will be the first non-NeoGeo game I've bought since launch for the Switch and the first Sonic game I've purchased since Adventure in 1999.

Any reviews point to the performance on the Switch. I know the resolution is good, but anyone seen anything about it keeping a stable frame rate?

ckaneo

The ignorance towards Generations. That game is one of Sonic Team's finest entries. Granted not as good as the classic trilogy, or this from the looks of it.

Honestly aside from the story, Sonic Forces looks as good as generations to me.

J@hranimo

Banned
It did in Australia, but we don't really know for sure elsewhere. PSN is unlocking it at midnight, but Xbox Live isn't.

There's a nonzero chance of a midnight launch, but there's no confirmation.

Overcooked was released at midnight in the EU, that I'm sure of, because that's when I bought it. I'm pretty sure there has been a few other Switch indie releases at midnight as well.

Oh really? I guess we just always have to deal with this dumb stuff here in NA =/

The whole reaction to this game has been fascinating. It's created a civil war among the sonic fanbase between fans of old sonic, fans of new sonic, and both fans of old and new.

Let them fight. lol.

Ivan 3414

It's been the narrative for people mildly interested in the series that Sonic hasn't had a good game in decades(despite critical and fan reception of games like Colors, Generations and Rush saying otherwise)

MegalonJJ

Banned
Any reviews point to the performance on the Switch. I know the resolution is good, but anyone seen anything about it keeping a stable frame rate?

Taxman has confirmed it runs 1080p/60fps docked & 720p/60fps undocked. Identical performance to ps4 but without trophies and with portability & 2p joycon support.

Berordn

Honestly aside from the story, Sonic Forces looks as good as generations to me.

I feel like they're missing the point of what made Generations as good as it was. Modern still played fine from my brief time with it so far, but Avatar was hot, hot garbage and the little we've seen of Classic looks at least as competent as Generations, but not particularly noteworthy.

jariw

Game runs 1080p60 docked and 720p60 undocked! The main difference between Switch and the other versions is a lack of achievements and added portability / joycon 2P support.

Congrats to the team for the great reviews! I'll be playing the Switch version very soon now.

Colors and Generations are genuinely fantastic games. Not just good in compared to the crap before, but genuine polished experiences with good level design and the works. Unleashed isn't too bad either, if you pretend it's a spiritual successor to Sonic R since all you're doing is boosting and running straight, lol.

Though they were pretty much the first 3D Sonic games to have like actual branching paths and big levels ala Sonic 3's style, so that might've played a huge part in my love for them. Lost World had a similar philosophy but had issues because of it's lack of dev time.

100% agree. As much as I am a classic Sonic fan, a year ago I would have said I was more excited about Forces just on it being a 3d sequel) than I was Mania because I really believe that they can do something really special with moving Sonic forward in the unleashed/generations/colors line of games. Of course that was before Mania really started to look more and more amazing, but you get my point.

Are any of the Genesis games unlockables or is it just the new game? I read a few reviews and didn't see anything called out so I'm guessing no.

I'm hoping for the inevitable sequel that they add one or two people to the team. They could do one a year without any delays. We seriously need several more Mania games.

Mark1

I love this post. And fully agree, heck even the 3D sections had some amazing level branches. The polish was never seen in a 3D Sonic game. And it just felt fun to play, Colours too. But Generations went into a direction I wanted Sonic to go in 3D - much more so than Adventure

mandiller

I've played the first two levels of it on Switch and it seemed rock solid. No slowdown issues. That's only my experience so far though. Looks great on Switch too!

I liked Sonic Generations a lot, but found Colors extremely iffy. The 2D sections have really annoying physics, and (it felt like?) those sections comprised a majority of the game.

The color powers were iffy too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I liked Sonic Generations a lot, but found Colors extremely iffy. The 2D sections have really annoying physics, and (it felt as though?) those sections comprised a majority of the game.

The color powers were iffy too.

Yea bought Colors after enjoying Generations, but came away very down on it myself.

Looked great, but the control felt off and too often the powers led to frustrating issues than a feeling of exhilarating playshifts.

Eh, not really? Most fans of the newer games are at best also interested in Mania or at worst apathetic. Almost everyone in the fanbase knew Mania was assured to be a good Sonic game at the end of the day--even if it was a Sonic game they're not invested in.

It's Sonic Forces where the wildfires across the fanbase are raging. Unlike Mania, that is a game that has no idea what game it's trying to be, or which demographic of Sonic fans it's trying to appeal towards.

Eh, not really? Most fans of the newer games are at best also interested in Mania or at worst apathetic. Almost everyone in the fanbase knew Mania was assured to be a good Sonic game at the end of the day--even if it was a Sonic game they're not invested in.

It's Sonic Forces where the wildfires across the fanbase are raging. Unlike Mania, that is a game that has no idea what game it's trying to be, or which demographic of Sonic fans it's trying to appeal towards.

This.

It comes out August 16th here :(
Japan is always last when it comes to Sonic releases for some weird reason.
Yup...it sucks. I was curious about this as well and asked my coworkers. They just said sonic is not really popular here. :(

I’m waiting until whenever the us version is up on the switch. If it’s midnight, I can play it on the way back home. I might double dip on the ps4 version later down the road.

Top Bottom