• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Regiruler

I kinda want to get a copy of Sonic 06 sometime just to experience it for myself.

I'm sort of like this except with Secret Rings and Black Knight, and instead of getting a copy its playing a copy I already have for some reason.
Sure, if you like the fact that the villain's main objective is to make a little girl cry.
Solaris is Judgment Dragon. It all makes sense now.

EDIT: Light of Destruction came out int 2008? Then swap that theory, which makes more sense anyway.

Regiruler

Confession time: although I've never played '06, I like Solaris's design.

Solaris_Form2.jpg

A self-righteous light deity sounds like my idea of a cool character.

HUELEN10

Confession time: although I've never played '06, I like Solaris's design.

A self-righteous light deity sounds like my idea of a cool character.

A lot of the 06 designs were awesome. The Egg Liner, Egg Genesis, and Egg Gunner come instantly to mind.

Razzer

Like Schala mentioned, the narrative was what it was, no improving that. But the rest of the games problems in my eyes are ones that can be solved with good programming. Thing is improving code and refining say, the jumping physics for instance, takes time. A lot of People hear 'it was rushed' and just think of debugging not being done, but there are fundamental Parts of the engine that are clearly not finished, resulting in a lot of the stupid stuff. Not to mention the time spent editing the level design after play testing likely never happened.

qq more

I feel Sonic 06 needs a lot of fixing in almost every area. I think it goes far more than just glitches and stories IMHO. I hated the level design and the gameplay gimmicks.

Well, you're right about people actually wanting to play 2K6, at least. I'll debate "for enjoyment".

I assure you this is not for enjoyment, I think the best I can describe my reasons is having an honest opinion on the game based on first hand experience and to have the badge of honor/shame saying that I beat the game. The game was one of the reasons I originally bought a 360, when I finally got to playing it, I couldn't go on and left it, I'm just finishing the story. Right now, I'm finally at Kingdom Valley with Sonic.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the abundant amount loading screens first and foremost (well that and the controls).

BlackJace

I said in the "what's the worst game design instance you've seen" that Sonic 06's use of eight or so different game play types sloppily thrown together was horrendous.

It was never going to work the way they planned it. You can be coding gods, but the likelihood of successfully coding eight different styles that are cohesive with the levels they're used in is very slim.

They didn't even get the three main characters' game play right, so the attention was drawn to the guest characters even more.

Just a huge mess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is why we usually encourage people to play that game while drinking. >.>

As for that "worst game design thread", I'm still giving that award to Hoshi wo Miru Hito: 伝説の糞ゲー (the legendary kusoge).

First town is invisible!
Slow movement on the map!
You can't cancel out of battle menus, so you're stuck with whatever option you chose during the round! Even if you have 0 MP.
Some of the worst item management I've seen in a video game!
They didn't program the HP counter right. You could have 30 HP but the counter will only display a 3. You could have 9 HP but the counter will display 0.
For some reason you go to the starting point of the world map when you leave the second town because the game's dumb.
You go to a cave, but when you leave, you go back to the starting point of the world map.
You don't even know you're using the jump ability if you don't have your sound up!
Shitty password system! (consist of both katakana and Latin characters)

BlackJace

This is why we usually encourage people to play that game while drinking. >.>

As for that "worst game design thread", I'm still giving that award to Hoshi wo Miru Hito: 伝説の糞ゲー (the legendary kusoge).

First town is invisible!
Slow movement on the map!
can't cancel out of battle menus, so you're stuck with whatever option you chose during the round! Even if you have 0 MP.
Some of the worst item management I've seen in a video game!
They didn't program the HP counter right. You could have 30 HP but the counter will only display a 3. You could have 9 HP but the counter will display 0.
For some reason you go to the starting point of the world map when you leave the second town because the game's dumb.
You go to a cave, but when you leave, you go back to the starting point of the world map.
You don't even know you're using the jump ability if you don't have your sound up!
Shitty password system! (consist of both katakana and Latin characters)

freaking lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
you guys need to brush up on kusoge

Sonic 06 is actually funny. That's why Anth0ny likes it, and why we can just keep playing it for amusement, a bet, or for charity. You can like it ironically because it's just dumb. It's a blueprint of what not to do in game design in terms of rushing a product on its functional foundation. But it still works enough so you can laugh at it or play it drunk. I've started to look at it as this thing that you can just play, stew over, and then look forward to the good stuff that came after it. Better and lush art design in the Uncolourations games, more flexibility for Sonic's character in terms of powerup incorporation, better control over Sonic's movement (and yes, even Lost World would certainly qualify for that), and a lot of other stuff since then. The Sonic IP is in a much better place than it was back then.

I might not be fond of the Adventure games or Heroes or anything between Blast and Unleashed on consoles (though portables are a different story), but at least I can certainly say that Sonic's in a much better place in a lot of forms of media than he was a few years ago.

Hoshi wo Miru Hito is sad. Last Rebellion is a joke. Final Fantasy: ATB looks great and has a lot of collectibles, but its gameplay is... well, you know what it is. I guess in these cases, they're either fundamentally broken, or they're flawed pieces of work that you know can be so much better. And that's what makes them worse. But you learn from that. Both players and developers can learn from that.

I just realized it was the 20th anniversary of Mega Man X, and the 26th anniversary of the Mega Man series today in Japan.

Razzer

I feel Sonic 06 needs a lot of fixing in almost every area. I think it goes far more than just glitches and stories IMHO. I hated the level design and the gameplay gimmicks.

Yes I agree, bear in mind my comment was merely about making it average, rather than good. With technical issues cleared up it at least wouldn't be so offensively bad. Also, I can't even enjoy it in a funny way anymore Schala. Maybe when watching others play it, but for myself it's just too many loading screens. They sap my life energy...

AniHawk

growing up, i always liked the sonic games. i liked the mario games first, but sonic was cool, and it was the series that my cousins played (they had a game gear while i had a game boy). as i grew older, i still liked the series, but liking nintendo was not cool when there was sonic and crash around (i remember arguing with friends that mario games were better in 1996 than those two and if we're talking about 1996, i can hardly consider my 10 year old self wrong). there was a period of bitter resentment towards sonic, well into 1998 when i thought sega was still a top dog console maker. my family didn't get the internet until late 1997, so i was kinda slow on the gaming news uptake. that same year, my family was on a game show, and we won a trip to a dude ranch in new york.

that next year we cashed in our trip, but not before adding on an additional week to visit the east coast. i clearly remember the first time i saw sonic adventure, and all that preteen bias completely disappeared. there was a toys r us in richmond virginia that we happened to stop by for some reason i can't remember, and they had a dreamcast playing a video of the game. it was the best thing i'd ever seen. hell, to this day that memory of sonic adventure is the most next gen i can remember seeing anything. it was so smooth and cool. i just had to have it.

i never became a 'sega fan', but i was immediately drawn into the dreamcast that day, and i spent the next year and a half devising ways to get my hands on one until my parents got me the system for my 15th birthday. the short three months i had it until they went third-party seemed like they lasted forever. i beat tony hawk's pro skater 2, seaman, sonic adventure, shenmue, (crazy taxi), and skies of arcadia in that short amount of time. it really was something else.

i got sonic adventure 2 when it came out, and even got the 10th anniversary coin. at that point i was starting to become aware of poor game design decisions, especially the knuckles/rouge parts, but i was also really getting into classic rock at the time. let me tell you, nothing quite beats white jungle and sweet emotion being played at the same time.

Razzer

growing up, i always liked the sonic games. i liked the mario games first, but sonic was cool, and it was the series that my cousins played (they had a game gear while i had a game boy). as i grew older, i still liked the series, but liking nintendo was not cool when there was sonic and crash around (i remember arguing with friends that mario games were better in 1996 than those two and if we're talking about 1996, i can hardly consider my 10 year old self wrong). there was a period of bitter resentment towards sonic, well into 1998 when i thought sega was still a top dog console maker. my family didn't get the internet until late 1997, so i was kinda slow on the gaming news uptake. that same year, my family was on a game show, and we won a trip to a dude ranch in new york.

that next year we cashed in our trip, but not before adding on an additional week to visit the east coast. i clearly remember the first time i saw sonic adventure, and all that preteen bias completely disappeared. there was a toys r us in richmond virginia that we happened to stop by for some reason i can't remember, and they had a dreamcast playing a video of the game. it was the best thing i'd ever seen. hell, to this day that memory of sonic adventure is the most next gen i can remember seeing anything. it was so smooth and cool. i just had to have it.

i never became a 'sega fan', but i was immediately drawn into the dreamcast that day, and i spent the next year and a half devising ways to get my hands on one until my parents got me the system for my 15th birthday. the short three months i had it until they went third-party seemed like they lasted forever. i beat tony hawk's pro skater 2, seaman, sonic adventure, shenmue, (crazy taxi), and skies of arcadia in that short amount of time. it really was something else.

i got sonic adventure 2 when it came out, and even got the 10th anniversary coin. at that point i was starting to become aware of poor game design decisions, especially the knuckles/rouge parts, but i was also really getting into classic rock at the time. let me tell you, nothing quite beats white jungle and sweet emotion being played at the same time.

I am now gonna try this, I hope it's good.

Edit: Not bad, if someone edited them together it may actually be decent haha, I didn't sync them very well though.

Razzer

Oddly enough white jungle started really well anyway haha. Will try green forest, which is my guilty favourite stage theme in the series anyway, so this should be fun.

Edit: I see what you mean. I couldn't quite mix the two volumes to my satisfaction, but the harmony was there.

AniHawk

Oddly enough white jungle started really well anyway haha. Will try green forest, which is my guilty favourite stage theme in the series anyway, so this should be fun.

Edit: I see what you mean. I couldn't quite mix the two volumes to my satisfaction, but the harmony was there.

oh... yeah i just muted the tv and played aerosmith. i didn't try mixing the music at all. that was still too advanced for me back then.

Tizoc

Sonic LW 3DS is lucky; it's not my Kusoge of 2013.
My Kusoge of 2013 is
Young Justice Legacy
Noi, recall what you wrote about Knack being too long for its own good? This game is pretty much the same.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #82

Song: Windmill Village Mode 1 / Mode 2
Game: Sonic Rush Adventure
Composer: Mariko Nanba

Most games are content to go straight to calypso when the idea of tropical music is brought up. The neat thing about SRA's music, then, is that it borrows from a much broader range of influences in the many other genres that grew out of Latin America, and it gives the music more depth than you usually get out of island settings.

That "do you think Sega regrets the three Sonic deal" thread had a comment "Only if Sega had to pay for development" got me imagining the Sonic version of Rent with Sonic and Tails living in the loft singing "How we gonna pay? How we... gonna pay? HOW WE GONNA PAY, LAST YEAR'S RENT!?" Ending with a miserly Mario driving down the street with Sonic, Tails and everyone else living in the projects (Captain Falcon, Megaman, Chrono, and all the other abandoned IP characters) throwing their burnt eviction notices down at him singing "WERE NOT GONNA PAY..." due to the broken promises of Nintendo.

That "do you think Sega regrets the three Sonic deal" thread had a comment "Only if Sega had to pay for development" got me imagining the Sonic version of Rent with Sonic and Tails living in the loft singing "How we gonna pay? How we... gonna pay? HOW WE GONNA PAY, LAST YEAR'S RENT!?" Ending with a miserly Mario driving down the street with Sonic, Tails and everyone else living in the projects (Captain Falcon, Megaman, Chrono, and all the other abandoned IP characters) throwing their burnt eviction notices down at him singing "WERE NOT GONNA PAY..." due to the broken promises of Nintendo.
Who's Angel in this video game version of Rent going to be, then?

Sciz

Man, this sounds relaxing. Just a little bit of bounce to make you feel happy, but not enough to break the chill. Where do these play in game, menus or what? Good though.

Windmill Village is the game's menu and content hub. As you complete side content it levels up, visually and musically.

Rlan

Sonic Dash update came out today, with a note that a new character will be added soon through one of the competitions.

Meaning the character is probably in there already, as would be their textures.

Get cracking, hackers!

Sonic Dash update came out today, with a note that a new character will be added soon through one of the competitions.

Meaning the character is probably in there already, as would be their textures.

Get cracking, hackers!

Open the app, it notifies me about the update. Click to update, and it links me to the iTunes App Store. On my Android device.

When it was first like "Sonic Lost World DLC" I was like "I'll pass," then it was YOSHI'S ISLAND THEMED and I was like "damn it" then it was like FREE so it was all good.

Sounds like next year's stage will be Zelda themed.

Dario ff

Banned
what are the chances this is better designed than the rest of the game? lol
It's not when it comes to what the game's good at. You would be better off playing as Yoshi with actual 2D controls. I'm not sure why there isn't a single slope either when 1-1 in YI has a lot of them. o_O

Village

I find myself a bit reluctant to get excited about mario kart, I LOVE mario kart. I LOVE racing, it might be my favorite genre. Epically ones that let you customize your racer in car. ( NEW sanic racing should let you do that, but that is another discussion). My point is, my excitement level for new mario kart has been lessened abit, by whatever new sonic racing they make.
And it will

Go Fast

Have that Visuals that make me see sounds

And songs that make me see colors ( hehehe)

And shadow hopefully have an even more redunk vehicle, just his cars get more and more ridiculously violent as he series goes on. Bike, Tank, Pile of guns and swords with wheels, several games later they have made a deal with hasbro and he is riding in transformers. Not the hasbro deal people would want, screw off with all that, transformer car with guns and lasers all over it.

Its not all bad though, I am buying these things like a "keeping up with the jones's" kinda deal, each game sells me the other game. Sonic sells Mario kart so i can see how they can possibly catch up, and Mario sells me sonic to see how they blow them out of the water.

HUELEN10

When it was first like "Sonic Lost World DLC" I was like "I'll pass," then it was YOSHI'S ISLAND THEMED and I was like "damn it" then it was like FREE so it was all good.

Sounds like next year's stage will be Zelda themed.

How so? I must have missed that; did they say something?

qq more

It's not when it comes to what the game's good at. You would be better off playing as Yoshi with actual 2D controls.

just played it, it's definitely better than the 2nd half of the game, but that's not saying much

okay level design (layout wise), but its not something that belongs in a sonic game as it is wayy too flat and linear... I mean I get that it isn't a sonic level, but it doesn't mesh that well with the gameplay. the end level goal was a neat touch though, I like that.

Also what the heck that the level disappears so I cant replay it until after earning a certain amount of points? Even the post-launch DLC does some strange design decisions :|

oh well at least it was free, so i dont regret it

also still dislike the weird 2D physics this game has

Top Bottom