• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

While reading the Sonic 2 Android thread (shame devs were blocked on Egg Gauntlet, but at least I understand the reasoning that certain colors were chosen for readability), it occurred to me that Blue Spheres would make a pretty good standalone mobile game, especially if you added just a few more "unique" orbs or traps to the mix. Controls would work well: swipe to turn left or right, tap (maybe an on-screen button) to jump. That's it. The way you only turn at the junctions already fits with the swipes.

Graduating in an hour! Same deal as yesterday, then, but I'm putting a restraint on it so you don't jump straight to Live and Learn: Pick a past track from Sonic CD, either version.

Congratulations!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Graduating in an hour! Same deal as yesterday, then, but I'm putting a restraint on it so you don't jump straight to Live and Learn: Pick a past track from Sonic CD, either version.
Not a lot of time to spare, so I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck despite it being much later than the date. :)

BlackJace

Reaaally late, but congratulations on the hard work, Sciz!

Oh yea, Tearaway is good. REALLY good. Keep giving my Vita these games, Sony.

Regiruler

This is why I was more than a little miffed that some people seemed to frown upon my posting style a few months ago. In fact, you know where I learned how to post at length about something? From reading GAF! Reading GAF all the way from late 2007 to the time I'd registered in early 2010 and got approved in early 2011. A lot of the posters who I read most often and had respected more because of that were ones that sometimes posted lengthy posts and impressions. I thought that that was how you were supposed to post on here, so I kind of adopted it. The posting quality was at least a little more passionate than it was now, but you know how it goes now. This isn't the thread to complain about it, but this site is not the one I joined, or read a few years ago. Nope.

It seems to be a general internet forum trend, not just with NeoGAF. Pojo is also in a state of heavy decline.
Incidentally you remind me of a poster who would write these monumental walls of text, and since he went by pharaoh atem I would dub them "The Great Walls of AText." (he stopped posting on Pojo for the most part but he has duties on other sites within the yugioh fanbase, so it isn't surprising).

So people were so wound up about Year of Luigi that it actually turns out it's also Year of Bomberman, too...

I'll be honest: as much as I LOVE Bomberman, I'm not that pissed about there not being any new games. I'm more pissed about how the franchise was killed moreso that it's dead. I can say the same for Mega Man, even though I'm not that big a fan of the latter.

AniHawk

also late to this, but congrats sciz!

i just beat tearaway and man. man man man. tearaway, man. man.

i think one of the marios still sits higher for me, but this is pretty damn good. i don't think i've ever been moved by the ending of a platformer.

all right, zelda's next.

AniHawk

Tearaway is that good, huh?

it's a linear 3d platformer without a level selection screen. like half-life 2, you're constantly being pushed forward by the plot. the whole point of the game is for your messenger to deliver you a letter.

it uses every part of the animal. the touch pad, cameras, touch screen, microphone, and motion controls all get in the action, and it's wonderfully done. i don't think the level design ever reaches the heights of other platforming greats, but being able to use the vita's features so elegantly throughout the game, while also successfully telling a charming little story (and delivering a message) makes up for that, at least partly.

i bought a vita for this game. if this was the only thing i ever played on the machine, i'd be one satisfied customer.

Tizoc

I want to get back to playing Tearaway but I first want to get my 64 GB memory card and install it, should've been here by now >_<

Playing BoF4 in the mean time instead.
Ershin FTMFW
Breath_Of_Fire_4_Ershin.gif.pagespeed.ce.KE3qVCvKRv.gif

BHZ Mayor

I finished Psychonauts yesterday, and let me just say, Shadow Hog was right. The Meat Circus. Oh God. The first part was bad enough. I even think I temporarily went insane while laughing hysterically at the constant cries of "Ow! That hurts! My face!" and "RAAAASPUTIIIIN!", while swords are flying toward me from every direction, but the rising water section. Good Lord. That one almost pissed me off to tears it was so bad. Trying to jump up those 3 tightropes with their crappy collision detection while constantly being pelted by flaming knives that knock me off, while having to wait for Raz to become perfectly still from hanging before I can jump onto the top of the rope, just wow. (This part, for reference) Who thought that was good design?

Also, a couple of times during the game, it froze. The PS3 was fine. Everything still functioned. It was just the game itself that froze. Not sure how that's even possible.

Also this happened.

And this.

Also, Levitation is totally broken sometimes, and I love it.

Sciz

Aw, you guys. <3

Thanks for all the warm wishes. It's been an exciting few days! And nerve wracking.

And my best friend got me this as a graduation present:

It's pretty sweet, even if most of the information isn't news.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #81

Song: Sylvania Castle Zone Act 2
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2
Composer: Jun Senoue

I gotta say, Senoue really stepped his game up for Episode 2. This sounds just like it came straight off a Genesis, and it suits the new forested castle archetype perfectly. It's uncanny.

Okay, here's the real thing. It actually is the closest he's come to mimicking the real FM sound, but I can't help making the comparison since he also blatantly modeled it on the classic Castlevania style. Swap out the drums and replace one of the background synths with a harpsichord and you're there.

Pretty much, yeah. Not the "out-Nintendos Nintendo" stuff that floated around Gaming Side, but it's a damn good platformer, sales be damned.

Nah man, Puppetter was the one that out Nintendo'd Nintendo, Tearaway was like the next Super Mario 64 or something.

I find such comparisons detrimental to the games they were supposed to be propping up seeing as that they throw aside the unique properties and approaches of either game to try and make them something they're not seemingly for console warfare.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #81

Song: Sylvania Castle Zone Act 2
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2
Composer: Jun Senoue

I gotta say, Senoue really stepped his game up for Episode 2. This sounds just like it came straight off a Genesis, and it suits the new forested castle archetype perfectly. It's uncanny.

Okay, here's the real thing. It actually is the closest he's come to mimicking the real FM sound, but I can't help making the comparison since he also blatantly modeled it on the classic Castlevania style. Swap out the drums and replace one of the background synths with a harpsichord and you're there.
That was a pleasant surprise
but now Sylvania Castle sounds all the worse as a following act.
Sylvania Castle is odd, acts 2 and and 3 have decent themes by Sonic 4 standards yet Act 1 feels really distant from them in both tone and quality.

Balls to this, let's go with the first vid, Machiru Yamane's debut for CV if i'm not mistaken and what a debut it is. It's actually the first CV track I recall hearing and it made a lasting impression, still one of the best openers in a series where nearly every game is obligated to kick off with a track that instantly grabs you. I might prefer the vibe of Adventure Rebirth's take myself.

AniHawk

tearaway follows the blueprint of a lot of sony games where there's a heavy focus on presentation, but it never feels like it goes too far. there's always a reason for it that's reinforced by good design choices. in a platformer. a platformer. they crammed story into a platformer and it works.

the more i reflect on it the more i am understanding what worked so well. like journey, it's hard to really pinpoint what makes it great.

It helps that Tearaway's plot elements never comes off as intrusive, any talky bits are usually short and to the point, plus I guess in a way the player is invested on another level seeing as you are actually part of the story which helps.
As for presentation, the papery approach factors into some of the gameplay as well, it's not just as case of using the arts and crafts style just for purely visual needs, it plays into some of what you do as well as how the world itself works be it the unravelling of the landscape in front of you or how you can interact with parts of it
Basically it all comes together as a cohesive whole.

Yeah, I was in the middle of watching it when I got the urge to check my other tabs out for some reason.

They Game Over in Wave Ocean without saving. I swear this happens to everyone.

EDIT: Finished watching.
They do it twice. They never figured out the save option is in the pause menu... and the way they die that last time is quite spectacular.

Was browsing Awkward Sonic Photos, when this caught my eye:

tumblr_mwav6oI2ey1rlrnwdo1_1280.jpg

It pointed out that this image was impossible. When Sonic and Shadow saved the Earth from being pummeled by the ARK, Shadow was missing in action, presumed dead. He wasn't in any position to be taking photos in front of the White House.

I suppose he came back in Heroes and could've had a photo op then, but I'm pretty sure at that point everybody had moved on. The White House certainly wouldn't have cared about anything that happened in that game, anyway.

Also:

tumblr_mwauk7ZGW81rlrnwdo1_1280.jpg

I kinda want to get a copy of Sonic 06 sometime just to experience it for myself.
Every time I say this to myself, I watch a video and am reminded instantly of why I don't. In this video, it's the obscene loading times that serve as that reminder. In others, it's the obscenely twitchy controls (this video having some elements of it with Alberto Robert's whole "IF YOU WANT TO ACCESS LEVEL ONE, SOLVE MY MAZE" thing).

I have my copy of Sonic 06, I know where I stored it, I know I should finish it for...reasons, though I really don't want to...but it has Lacey Chabert...you know what, fine, before the new year, I'll finish the damn thing.

Rikkun

Sonic 06 is the main reason I want my 360 back from my mom's house. Over Bioshock Infinite, over Revengeance, I have my PS3 and my WiiU but I'm always thinking "hell, I want to beat that fucking game".

IIRC I got stuck in a ruin level with Sonic, I always ALWAYS got lost.

TheOGB

Banned
Let the hate flow through you, SpikedGunner.

I kinda want to get a copy of Sonic 06 sometime just to experience it for myself.
I do too. Of course, I also still want to get Unleashed as well.
Do it.

~~~~~~~~~
I did also wanna say that I spent a good 15-20 minutes at Target playing the Tearway demo, and even in that short amount of time I was amazed by how simply charming it was. Being a demo meant to show off the game, I got to experience a lot of the different ways to manipulate the world using all that the Vita had to offer, and it was delightful. If I wasn't already sold on the Vita, that would have been the thing to sell it to me. I was also struck by the game asking what I'd prefer to be addressed as (male or female), I found that simple change of phrasing kinda neat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is this what happens when I'm away?

You people allow others to play Sonic 06?

It helps that Tearaway's plot elements never comes off as intrusive, any talky bits are usually short and to the point, plus I guess in a way the player is invested on another level seeing as you are actually part of the story which helps.

As for presentation, the papery approach factors into some of the gameplay as well, it's not just as case of using the arts and crafts style just for purely visual needs, it plays into some of what you do as well as how the world itself works be it the unravelling of the landscape in front of you or how you can interact with parts of it
Basically it all comes together as a cohesive whole.
it uses every part of the animal. the touch pad, cameras, touch screen, microphone, and motion controls all get in the action, and it's wonderfully done. i don't think the level design ever reaches the heights of other platforming greats, but being able to use the vita's features so elegantly throughout the game, while also successfully telling a charming little story (and delivering a message) makes up for that, at least partly.
These two are the largest aspects as to why I enjoyed it a lot from the very beginning. Like, I legitimately could not say it any better myself. I genuinely like it when a game uses its hardware to its advantage like that. 999 did with the DS, Device 6 does that with the iPad/iPhone, and Tearaway does it with the Vita. Tearaway really should be a bundled game with the Vita as opposed to Welcome Park in order to show what the Vita can actually do from a development standpoint and a gamey-sense as opposed to a new device with interactive stuff akin to a phone or tablet. Sometimes devices need games like that to show why some of the things they have completely matter in a game development sense. It makes the concept of the device fully realized and ensures that the hardware is fully taken advantage of. It doesn't render any parts of it superfluous, really, nor does it treat any of its hardware specs as an add-on "just in case".

And Nocturnowl hit it right on the head with respect to using the theme of arts and crafts to its advantage. Not only are you crafting out a landscape to deliver your message or solve puzzles, but you're using the arts and crafts bits in order to platform (ie: glue, foil paper, etc). Everything is interactive.

It's the only Media molecule game that I've liked start to finish, too.

TheOGB

Banned
Look at all these Eggman's robots lawless posters. Anarchy reigns! It is sad day when fans of Sonic forget their history and lower themselves to play suck dreck as Sonic 06. Very sad.

You guys should stop playing Sonic 06 and start playing this

BlackJace

One thing I give the people behind 06 credit for is the fact that they didn't set out to make an unplayable mess. Shit was clearly kicked out of the door when it could have used a few more months to iron things out. Then it would've been elevated to decent status.

HUELEN10

One thing I give the people behind 06 credit for is the fact that they didn't set out to make an unplayable mess. Shit was clearly kicked out of the door when it could have used a few more months to iron things out. Then it would've been elevated to decent status.

They could have easily patched it though. I am confident that with just a decent patch to iron out slow-down, attaching glitches, load times, and stuff like that, it would have been considered an average 7th gen launch game.

BlackJace

They could have easily patched it though. I am confident that with just a decent patch to iron out slow-down, attaching glitches, load times, and stuff like that, it would have been considered an average 7th gen launch game.

True, but at that point I bet they could barely stand to look at it.

Top Bottom