• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Theosmeo

Why does everyone hate Crazy Gadget? It's my favorite level, or at least the only one that's challenging. It feels fast to me at least.

Junahu

I swear SA2 has a placebo effect in place where Eggman's mech feels infinitely better than Tail's cyclone when I'm pretty positive they're like the same thing.
You can thank the level design for that. Tails' levels focus more on tight movement than Eggman's.
Compare Cosmic Wall to Eternal Engine. Eggman gets a buff to his hover due to the decreased gravity, and multiple on-rails sections, which lets him concentrate on combat. Tails gets a bunch of airlocks that mess with his movement if you accidentally shoot them open.

Tails' mech also looks like it should be more mobile (due to the fact that it is actually a plane that can fly, and it can also turn into a car), players feel a bizarre sense of weight and inertia that doesn't belong.

Sciz

Why does everyone hate Crazy Gadget? It's my favorite level, or at least the only one that's challenging. It feels fast to me at least.

Because 70% of the level is played on the walls or ceiling and the camera does nothing to make that a comfortable experience.

But it also makes emerald hunting levels a lot bigger, a lot more difficult, and a lot more tedious to complete by nerfing the radar.

lYK7NrG.jpg

trash.png
trash.png
trash.png

I would've liked for Sonic Team to iterate on the SA2 Sonic/Shadow gameplay instead of whatever the fuck they did for Heroes. I really enjoyed the scoring system in those stages (especially using bounces to extend combos), and the controls and sense of speed were both pretty on-point. Getting the Extreme bonus when the rocket is launching in Metal Harbor is sooooo satisfying.

Falk

that puzzling face
We can only have 3 of a type of gameplay max before it's time to move on.

in before Sonic CD is the same as 1-3&K

Village

I still can't get over SA2 straight up taking out some of my favorite parts of SA1 for no reason (most notably the hub worlds and separate character specific storylines, both of which I love having) while also simultaneously making everything else worse. Sonic isn't as fun to play as, level design took a step down, and the treasure hunting and shooting are both a million times more frustrating and obnoxious. Story isn't anywhere near as good either.

God what an awful fucking sequel hahaha
Im reading and all i see is

"They took these bad things out and made them better"

Sa2, like i said before i cant even play sa1 anymore.

Junahu

well yes the emerald hunting levels in SA2 are kinda objectively worse in every regard
They're graphically superior.
They're actually designed around Knuckles' skill-set.
The hint system is a brilliant way of introducing scalable difficulty.
The levels are infinitely more fun to actually BE in; you're not just gliding around a snippet of a sonic stage.
There's Knuckles rapping for background music.

The downside to Adventure 2's emerald hunting is that the pacing is pretty whack and the rating system wants you to find the shards quickly and hintless, which is the worst way to play these stages.

The levels are infinitely more fun to actually BE in; you're not just gliding around a snippet of a sonic stage.

The downside to Adventure 2's emerald hunting is that the pacing is pretty whack and the rating system wants you to find the shards quickly and hintless, which is the worst way to play these stages.

I stand corrected.

Speaking of Knuckles raps, this one has always been my favourite. The level it plays in would also be sorta kinda maybe half-decent if you weren't getting hit by meteors every five seconds.

RK128

If the camera was better and if the radar picked up every emerald at once, then they would be great stages, as your comments are completely right. But due to the emerald radar being broken, it affects the levels in a huge negative way despite the levels themselves being far stronger than Knuckles level's in SA1.

SA2 in general holds up okay to me, as the speed levels are fantastic, the mech levels are enjoyable if stale after a while and the treasure hunting stages I loath due to the radar being busted.

Junahu

I stand corrected.

Speaking of Knuckles raps, this one has always been my favourite. The level it plays in would also be sorta kinda maybe half-decent if you weren't getting hit by meteors every five seconds.
Personally, I love Death Chamber's rap; mostly because it devolves into a conversation between sonic and knuckles about why finding the key is important. It all sounds so delightfully cheesy.

Personally, I love Death Chamber's rap; mostly because it devolves into a conversation between sonic and knuckles about why finding the key is important. It all sounds so delightfully cheesy.

I never knew that this had the "You're damn right, Knuckles" line, never looked into the lyrics of this one. Truly a masterpiece.

One of the biggest injustices in the world is that there aren't instrumental versions of Knuckles' stage themes.

I'd pay top dollar for an official Aquatic Mine instrumental.

Tizoc

finally finished writing my goty post. just gotta edit now.

only 4 games this year lol. 2015 was the shits.

Go get Paint it Back from steam if you haven't yet.
It's like Picross
It is bloody fucking amazing
It's a 2D game so it won't require any fancy graphics or whathave you
JUST GO BUY IT

Anyone play Generations 3DS? This game is such a shame. I basically played the whole thing... no desire to beat the last boss after the console versions of Generations.

Anyway, shit. The whole production of it is as bland and generic as possible. Just unlocking special stages after beating levels, not even having to find them or do something special. Really?

The modern levels, again, are probably the best. Well, the latter half of the game at least. The first 3 levels directly take level designs from the original games so of course they're good, but once Dimes were at the helm of it the levels become hit & miss. Some are dun, others are unfair and unfun.

Not a bad game by any means, I've actually been enjoying being able to play a newish Sonic game on my 3DS, but it's certainly not good or impressive at all. A cool 5/10

TimmiT

I was tempted to buy Generations 3DS when I saw it in a store yesterday. Bought Ant Man and Iron Man on blu-ray instead. Probably made the right choice there.

RK128

Anyone play Generations 3DS? This game is such a shame. I basically played the whole thing... no desire to beat the last boss after the console versions of Generations.

Anyway, shit. The whole production of it is as bland and generic as possible. Just unlocking special stages after beating levels, not even having to find them or do something special. Really?

The modern levels, again, are probably the best. Well, the latter half of the game at least. The first 3 levels directly take level designs from the original games so of course they're good, but once Dimes were at the helm of it the levels become hit & miss. Some are dun, others are unfair and unfun.

Not a bad game by any means, I've actually been enjoying being able to play a newish Sonic game on my 3DS, but it's certainly not good or impressive at all. A cool 5/10

The big issue was that Dimps anniversary Sonic game was rumored to be Sonic Colors; note how the entire Sonic Cast appears in that version while the Wii version is only Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot and Cubebot.

Colors Wii was also originally a Sonic Generations port before being turned into its own thing.

All of this points to Colors DS having a longer development cycle compared to Generations 3DS, leading to it having a rushed feel, lack of polish and generally feels thrown together.

Is the Worlds Collide collection worth getting for $30? I've never read Archie.

I don't know if $30 is a good deal or not, but I say go for it. I got Volume 1 from a Humble Bundle and read it all in a couple short sittings and wished I'd had put down money for the rest. Ian Flynn's a good writer and he clearly is having fun mashing Sonic and Mega Man's worlds together.

Presumably that collection also contains Worlds Unite, which just completed, and I've heard that's less good because it blows things out to include the entire Capcom/Sega catalog and loses a lot of focus as a result. But Collides itself is probably pretty good, judging by what I read.

Sciz

The first two acts of WC are kind of weak outside of the Wily/Eggman bits, but the final act is so good that it justifies the existence of the rest of it.

Sami+

Worlds Collide is fantastic, my fav. major comic crossover event of its time.
Great art, characters and dialog.
EDIT: Amazon.com has it for USD 18 BTW.

Aight. For $20 it's not gonna be something I finish in a sitting or anything though, right...? I don't ever buy comics, tho I did try a month of Marvel Unlimited last year to burn through a metric ton of Spider-Man and literally nothing else lmao. I don't suppose there's anything similar for the Archie comics tho, because if so I definitely wouldn't mind subscribing so that I can catch up on the reboot from the beginning without wasting over $100

Aight. For $20 it's not gonna be something I finish in a sitting or anything though, right...? I don't ever buy comics, tho I did try a month of Marvel Unlimited last year to burn through a metric ton of Spider-Man and literally nothing else lmao. I don't suppose there's anything similar for the Archie comics tho, because if so I definitely wouldn't mind subscribing so that I can catch up on the reboot from the beginning without wasting over $100

I want to say that Volume 1 alone of Worlds Collide was something like 85 pages, so for the complete thing of that, you're looking at double or even triple that amount

It does look like Archie has a subscription service and it's literally just called Archie Unlimited

https://www.archieunlimited.com

Might want to be careful, though. Sonic's not mentioned anywhere on that page. However, it mentions the comics are readable through their mobile Archie Comics app, and I think Sonic is available on there.

Sami+

I want to say that Volume 1 alone of Worlds Collide was something like 85 pages, so for the complete thing of that, you're looking at double or even triple that amount

It does look like Archie has a subscription service and it's literally just called Archie Unlimited

https://www.archieunlimited.com

Might want to be careful, though. Sonic's not mentioned anywhere on that page. However, it mentions the comics are readable through their mobile Archie Comics app, and I think Sonic is available on there.

Oh dang thanks

If anyone can confirm that Sonic is available on Unlimited I'll definitely go for that and burn through them. Lately I've come to realize that I'm really invested in the characters and world and that's really been disappointing me even with the recent "good" games. I don't doubt that Ian's Archie Sonic will scratch the itch there I just wanna be able to read it without taking out all my student loans LOL

Tizoc

Oh dang thanks

If anyone can confirm that Sonic is available on Unlimited I'll definitely go for that and burn through them. Lately I've come to realize that I'm really invested in the characters and world and that's really been disappointing me even with the recent "good" games. I don't doubt that Ian's Archie Sonic will scratch the itch there I just wanna be able to read it without taking out all my student loans LOL
Look up comixology as they offer digital comics and they have the sonic comics as well :)
Uk site: https://m.comixology.co.uk/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Mega-Man-Worlds-Collide/comics-series/16671

Village

Presumably that collection also contains Worlds Unite, which just completed, and I've heard that's less good because it blows things out to include the entire Capcom/Sega catalog and loses a lot of focus as a result. But Collides itself is probably pretty good, judging by what I read.

From what I have read about worlds unite,

Apparently there it was written by a lot of different folk
To be have been done more for money
And a lot of editorial meddling.

That said, its completely overstuffed, there are two many things featured in that comic, to the degree in which not only do none of those character's actually do anything. To which Megman X you know, that guy that was advertised for the thing, admits near the end that they weren't actually able to do much of anything. And the character choices and plot threads they decide to follow through with makes you question who this shit was even for . Like a lot of the franchises , properties ect, featured, wouldn't even be known by the primary demographic of the folks buying that comic, and for say older folks who might be into that stuff, they don't do anywhere near enough to justify their existence in that comic.

Along with some decisions that sega are upset about , from what I have read. Just horrible character inclusions and exclusion decisions, that made no sense. Wanting to " push the human element " I think the quote was. If you wan't me to explain what that means, it spoils parts of worlds unite , but if you wanna know I can just tell you

Also apparently folks been receiving mail about megaman's comic book cancellation. And while I can't say WU is responsible, those numbers ( and sonic's actually ) have been going down for a while, but it sucks that it had to be let loose with this pile of over stuffed shit as the parting gift.

I'm obscenely good at Generations on 360.

I'm ranked 125th on Crisis City Classic, below 200 and 300 in most classic levels... ranked 200thish on Rooftop Run modern... wtf

It's harder to be good at the modern levels because people who use exploits have made speedrunning a chore, but damn I have a very high rank in this game.

Last great Sonic game! Likely to be the last great one for years to come, maybe ever!

From what I have read about worlds unite,

Apparently there it was written by a lot of different folk
To be have been done more for money
And a lot of editorial meddling.

That said, its completely overstuffed, there are two many things featured in that comic, to the degree in which not only do none of those character's actually do anything. To which Megman X you know, that guy that was advertised for the thing, admits near the end that they weren't actually able to do much of anything. And the character choices and plot threads they decide to follow through with makes you question who this shit was even for . Like a lot of the franchises , properties ect, featured, wouldn't even be known by the primary demographic of the folks buying that comic, and for say older folks who might be into that stuff, they don't do anywhere near enough to justify their existence in that comic.

Along with some decisions that sega are upset about , from what I have read. Just horrible character inclusions and exclusion decisions, that made no sense. Wanting to " push the human element " I think the quote was. If you wan't me to explain what that means, it spoils parts of worlds unite , but if you wanna know I can just tell you

Also apparently folks been receiving mail about megaman's comic book cancellation. And while I can't say WU is responsible, those numbers ( and sonic's actually ) have been going down for a while, but it sucks that it had to be let loose with this pile of over stuffed shit as the parting gift.

A big hole to poke in your rumor: everyone gets credited in each issue. If there were "a lot of different writers," their names would be listed in the book itself.

In every issue of Worlds Unite, there are two writers listed. The main story is written by Ian Flynn, and the "Off Panel" mini-comic in the letters section is written by Bill Freiberger. Bill Freiberger is the co-executive producer on the Sonic Boom TV series, and helped with the Sonic Boom comic before it was canceled.

I don't even know how a lot of different writers would get in there. Archie does not have a big stable of writers that could be thrown at the Sonic comic. It's pretty much been Ian Flynn for the last 7 or 8 years with the occasional side story handled by someone else.

Sega and Capcom do not have a big stable of writers to muscle their way in to the comic, either. 85% of the franchises referenced in Worlds Unite haven't had a new game in almost a decade or more. And 99% of the franchises referenced are Japanese in origin, making them likely very distant to whatever's going on in the comics.

So, like... no, dude. I think Ian Flynn just went too big and it became too much to reliably manage. It doesn't have to be any more complex than that. :p

Top Bottom