• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I like 2 and 3 more

jak 1 is good though

I miss jak and daxter

I also miss sly, yes we got 4 but I hope i get more.

Yeah, Jak 2 and 3 were a bit try-hard but at least they had more unique gameplay ideas. Sure, it was obviously trying to copycat GTA, but few other open world games feature a mix of gunplay and platforming. Jak 1 is good, but feels like a by-the-numbers Banjo wannabe.

Also, Sly 3 had one of the best endings to a game franchise. Sly 4 wasn't bad, but it wasn't really called for, at least to me.

Tizoc

I'm the kind of guy who likes simple things and Jak's simplicity is what I like about it.
I've said I'd never replay Jak 2 or 3 and I may stick with that notion for years to come >_>

RK128

I'm the kind of guy who likes simple things and Jak's simplicity is what I like about it.
I've said I'd never replay Jak 2 or 3 and I may stick with that notion for years to come >_>

I enjoyed the Jak series, but it is mainly only three games: Jak 1 (loved it), Daxter (great time and one of Ready At Dawn's best games next to Ghost of Sparta) and Jak 3 (does everything right & the driving portions felt better than the usage of hovercrafts in Jak 2).

Jak 2 is a game I always wanted to love but just really couldn't get into it thanks to its BS difficulty & I never played Lost Fronter so can't comment on that game. Jak X was fun with its sudo Mario Kart X Burnout gameplay.

TheOGB

Banned
This Derrick conversation reminding me of this
Xfq6rrk.png

AniHawk

I still think an Adventure-centric Jak game can work and really wouldn't need any form of weapon or fire arms.

yeah but people want naughty dog to make these games and naughty dog forgot how to make games when they started making movies.

(They're just jabbing the similar avatars, y'know)
(I know man)

yeah but people want naughty dog to make these games and naughty dog forgot how to make games when they started making movies.

I say let it happen and then I can vomit profusely over the place when the inevitably scripted and yet ever changing platforming mechanics balanced entirely around set pieces are heralded as the best platforming ever because da naughty gawds!

Village

I have always tried to put it nicely, but yeah. I think the last of us is aiight but, i have never had any real interest in uncharted. To steal a description from the super best friends, its very vanilla ice cream cone. But its vanilla indina jones, amd that in particular never really interested me all that much. Besides tomb raider.

Tizoc

I have always tried to put it nicely, but yeah. I think the last of us is aiight but, i have never had any real interest in uncharted. To steal a description from the super best friends, its very vanilla ice cream cone. But its vanilla indina jones, amd that in particular never really interested me all that much. Besides tomb raider.

What's the percentage of gunfights in the India Jones movies? At least in the first 3?
UC games' gunfights bring to light its biggest flaw: The developers don't know wtf to do with the game and just filled it with gunfight after gunfight after gunfight.
Just finished a cutscene? Gunfight.
Just finished a light platforming section? Gunfight.
Gunfight Gunfight Gunfight
Going back to them is hard especially when the games are long.

I mean geez if you're gonna give me endless gunfights at least give me something like a score counter or something.
Fiddy Cent Blood on the Sands had a score system and that alone makes it 10 times better than the entire UC series combined and that game has its flaws and is janky-ish as heck, and its a fun hilarious shooty bang game that'll be stuck in licensing hell.

The problem with the series shootbang elements are that simply put it just ain't great, though I hear 4 stepped things up a notch there, only to then invert the pacing so you don't get nearly enough gunplay in the later half or something.
I'm sure our resident movie man and thus Naughty Dog aficionado JC can give us the finer details.

AniHawk

I say let it happen and then I can vomit profusely over the place when the inevitably scripted and yet ever changing platforming mechanics balanced entirely around set pieces are heralded as the best platforming ever because da naughty gawds!

i can actually appreciate the last of us in a lot of ways, but the uncharted series is just so dumb in all the ways naughty dog doesn't think it is. and the indiana jones comparisons from fans of the series are just gross.

I enjoyed TLOU enough when I played it on PS3, enough to pick up the remastered version in fact.
Except I'm finding it a tough one to replay, at least because it takes a fair amount of time to actually get going, it's like a 3D Zelda over here.

I liked Uncharted 2 a decent bit, though to call them the best platformers ever is laughable when all the platforming is pretty heavily automated - like, okay, you have to initiate the jump, but you only really have to indicate the direction and press X, as I recall. The game will make Drake leap exactly as far as he needs to go, you don't need to get the spacing exactly right. Speed at the time of jump might play a factor, though I'm not certain.

They're really fun games, don't get me wrong, but it's not for excelling at platforming.

(I know man)
(Okay cool)

(It's hard to tell with the Internet sometimes)

Tizoc

Anyone who says the UC games have good platforming, let alone go so far as to call them PLATFORMERS deserves a smack on the head with a granite brick.

*stares at Shadow Hog*
Mega Man and Castlevania are still platformers, dude.

Tons more focus on the jumping around platforms aspect than Uncharted has, besides; that usually has you alternate between fighting enemies in arenas and platforming around them, while Mega Man would have you doing both at the same time, pressing forward all the while (boss rooms notwithstanding, but even something like SMB3 focuses solely on the combat in those - well, insofar as jumping on Boom-Boom or a Koopaling three times counts as "combat").

Sami+

Naughty Dog is my favorite studio and TLoU is one of my favorite games lol. Only played Uncharted 1 (in 2008) and 4 - loved 4. Not down for the ND trash talk but eh whatever most Sonic fans are Nintendo fans so I get it.

Someone PM me when we start moaning about Nintendo making boring, shallow games with no context/story. Different people like different things, who cares.

Tizoc

Naughty Dog is my favorite studio and TLoU is one of my favorite games lol. Only played Uncharted 1 (in 2008) and 4 - loved 4. Not down for the ND trash talk but eh whatever most Sonic fans are Nintendo fans so I get it.

Someone PM me when we start moaning about Nintendo making boring, shallow games with no context/story. Different people like different things, who cares.
I dont think we've criticized people for liking the uc games
Rather we were criticizing the uc games themselves
And current era naughty dog :v

Nintendo make good fun games and that is something i like them for.

Nepenthe

Honestly, Naughty Dog lost me when Josh said they wouldn't make any more cartoony games because they're trying to tell more mature stories. It's such an elementary view of aesthetics and storytelling that it crossed the line right into insulting.

Village

Ugh. They can do both!
No you can only do one, nuance is a myth. Writing adapting to the nature of the material whilst producing something that can be understood and absorbed by older folks is a joke.

No one has ever done that ever

*pushes the sonic universe books away from sight and turns off the tv with steven universe on it*

Piers

I wonder if the Green Hill Paradise could be improved by suggesting routes through the stage for players to pick before starting -- then there's a luminescent trail, or 'ghost data', that can guide players through the stage. (It could even label routes based on the sort of experience they'd get, such as platform-y, fast, easy, etc)

Because whilst there is an obviously hefty amount of consideration put into the level design, it's still a puzzle in of itself to try and understand where a particular route is suppose to begin. Exploring is fun, but I'd like to see how to do those cool jumps without having it spoilt by watching YouTube guides.

Petitioning Blizzard for some new gruff 76 voice clips such as "aww yeah, this is happenin'!"
I'm pretty sure some of Shadow's dialogue is already part of Reapers, though a "faker" voice clip would be wonderfully spammable.

Petitioning Blizzard for some new gruff 76 voice clips such as "aww yeah, this is happenin'!"
I'm pretty sure some of Shadow's dialogue is already part of Reapers, though a "faker" voice clip would be wonderfully spammable.

Maybe the "faker" line could be used when killing an enemy Reaper as Reaper.

RomanceDawn

I'm sure you guys have already discussed Green Hill Paradise Act 2 but I need to see some opinions because my mind is blown! This is like everything I want out of 3D Sonic! I mean like holy smokes please tell me everyone else is head over heels for it as I am? I could do more with Sonic rolling into an actual ball but all that momentum based gameplay!

Lets talk about this guys please!!!!

I understand Sega took notice of this. At least the social media guys anyway, I just hope this gets a ton of attention and they move towards a future like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0IsSeE_ckI

WPS

I'm sure you guys have already discussed Green Hill Paradise Act 2 but I need to see some opinions because my mind is blown! This is like everything I want out of 3D Sonic! I mean like holy smokes please tell me everyone else is head over heels for it as I am? I could do more with Sonic rolling into an actual ball but all that momentum based gameplay!

I understand Sega took notice of this. At least the social media guys anyway, I just hope this gets a ton of attention and they move towards a future like this!

I think it needs a few tweaks before it could be a proper game, but as a concept I'm sold. My biggest issue though is how the physics aren't very reliable, especially if your computer is struggling to maintain a stable framerate in the game - I've found running off a ramp at the same speed never quite flings you the same distance and if your computer stutters during a loop or wall run you just fall off. And the half-pipes don't work for me, even when they work for others.

I enjoyed the demo though, definitely. It's fun how the game incentivises using your speed to fling yourself around, and if you go flying you'll always land somewhere new and interesting, rather than in a bottomless pit. The level is suitably full of secrets, too.
I have all 14 emeralds.

Looked completely boring.

Nepenthe

This is a demonstration that I feel best encapsulates what Sega was going for when they originally made Sonic Adventure. Movement and speed occur in arcs, and the level design has enough of an Z-axis to take advantage of a less binary system. It's sloppy as an overall thing, but if Sega is too ashamed to look back at the Adventures for inspiration, then I feel that this would be a good proof of concept for them to take and develop in a more focused environment.

Top Bottom