• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog is 10 years old

Shmuppers

This game is apparently fun to speed run.

It's spawned some of the funnier memes of the past couple years.

Happy anniversary.

mdubs

Banned
elise_kisses_sonic___by_request__by_supersweetness918-d4t1l5l.gif

happy first base human-hedgehog relations day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS01HY9-ow8

The greatest moment in video games history

1434744640728165442.png

I tried the demo back then and it was promising.
Too bad that promise was dashed in the full game by such a glitchy mess and horrendous load times.

Soundtrack was great, though. I still listen to it.

LordKano

2006 was such a great year for gamers and their beloved licence : Sonic The Hedgehog made a brillant turn to the next-gen, Bomberman Act : Zero managed to add a mature side to the classic game we all love, and Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus was a fun spin-off that enhanced the lore from a timeless classic.

Such good times.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The saddest part of this game is that the setting and idea behind it were excellent and was exactly where the series needed to go. The focus on story, speed stages and puzzle aspects in the hub world was perfect, it wasn't afraid to introduce new characters or banish old ones and it genuinely felt like the last Sonic game that was trying to be a market leading platformer. It was hugely ambitious, which is why so many were excited for it.

The game was of course a mess technically and performance wise but I felt with another year of development to fix the rampant performance and bug issues it could have actually been a very good game.
The unfortunate legacy of this failure is SEGA just simply never tried again with Sonic. The last 10 years for the series has been nothing but one and done gimmick ideas, nostalgia pandering a child focused attempted reboot. It pains to think of what could have been for the series if Sonic 2006 had been successful.
This is probably a widely unpopular opinion, but I agree 100%. Conceptually, '06 had everything going for it.

Jay RaR

10 years later and people won't stop bitching and mentioning it
as well as remaster/remake begging
. Still gets compared with upcoming Sonic games with some hoping the next will make Sonic great again.

Surprisingly, the Game Grumps playthrough of 06 got me into playing good Sonic games like Generations and made me become a Sonic fan. I've played Heroes and Sonic 3 and watched Sonic cartoons before that but I never did get into the series.

After watching several playthroughs of the game and watching reviews of it, I tried it out myself despite the warnings. Its not the worst game I ever played, but it made me sad on what potential it would've gotten if it was good.

So...I should respect this game I guess.

I was so mad at myself because I got my PS3 in 2007 and this game was one of the reasons why I bought one. I had no idea what I got myself into when I rented it. I was young and so blind to see the flaws that I bought it, a year later, so I could have it in my collection and once I played it again, it hit me hard how terrible this game was. The music is great, and the way Shadow character/personality is represented in his story was the best he has been in any game, and that's all the game had for it. I wished another stage from this game besides Crisis City was remade in Sonic Generations though. This game will be stuck in my mind forever with Shadow the Hedgehog.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sonic 06 did have at least one great thing. It was the one and only appearance of the great Sonic Man. I really wish Sonic Man would come back in a future Sonic game. Or give Sonic Man his own game.

I should check my old hard drives to see if I still have the leaked script from when this game was in development. There were a couple funny/odd things in the character profile section.

Sonic 06 did have at least one great thing. It was the one and only appearance of the great Sonic Man. I really wish Sonic Man would come back in a future Sonic game. Or give Sonic Man his own game.
Yeah, Sonic Man was a pretty great concept.

I was a kid blinded by Sonic when I got this game. It took a while, but I knew deep down that I hated this game.

On the bright side, I'm glad that this existed to give SEGA a wake-up call.

Sonic was what, 15 when Sonic 06 came out? Look, we all do stupid shit in our teens, there's no need to bring up old memories like that.

ALso let it be known that NeoGAF Member Anth0ny made a thread claiming that Sonic 06 was a better game than Sonic Colors.

Adnor

Banned
Did the Sonic fanbase went weird before or after that game?
If it was after, I blame Sega.

Before.

Sonic was what, 15 when Sonic 06 came out? Look, we all do stupid shit in our teens, there's no need to bring up old memories like that.

ALso let it be known that NeoGAF Member Anth0ny made a thread claiming that Sonic 06 was a better game than Sonic Colors.

There was a guy that said that it had better physics than HL2.

Also I still can't believe that gaffers try and play this game to this very day, while poor Mael went insane playing this game for you all so many years ago.

And then there was that one possibly actually insane person who tried to say that Silver's sections had better physics than Half-Life 2. Ah, those were the days...

EvB

I bought this about a week after it was out for 9.99, wondering how could be be any worse than the Sonjc Adventure games I played to death.

It was like an Alpha demo for Sonic Adventure 3, it was that bad.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Also I still can't believe that gaffers try and play this game to this very day, while poor Mael went insane playing this game for you all so many years ago.

And then there was that one possibly actually insane person who tried to say that Silver's sections had better physics than Half-Life 2. Ah, those were the days...

It's time to face facts Beef, Sonic's always been trash.

Mario's always been better. It was true in the SNES vs. Genesis days. It's true now. I'd argue Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Colors are the only truly great Sonic games. Everything else?

Forgettable.

v7DgWJn.gif

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If Sonic's greatness had to enter a dark period (aka everything after S3&K with small bright spots in-between) for Sonic Mania to finally be released...I guess it was worth.

Jay RaR

People want this game remastered. Which is the most damning thing I can say about us Sonic fans.

The more I see people post this the less I think its a joke.
Also how rude.

But...it is? I mean not all people have the same tastes as you, especially in the Sonic community.

Top Bottom