• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic x Shadows Generations Release Date Trailer | Summer Game Fest 2024

BlackTron

I had gone "of course, Japan gets the best cover art as usual" so the reversible is welcome news. But the only system I currently have that will take a physical game is Switch and and I'm not playing this on that lol.

I might wait for Switch 2 to buy this game.

nial

I had gone "of course, Japan gets the best cover art as usual" so the reversible is welcome news. But the only system I currently have that will take a physical game is Switch and and I'm not playing this on that lol.

I might wait for Switch 2 to buy this game.
I doubt that this will get a Switch 2 version.

nial

Come on, what was so funny, lol? BlackTron BlackTron
I just don't see SEGA bothering to make a new port of a remaster of a PS3/Xbox 360 game for a console that is what? Still 1 year away? Especially since the Generations part of the game will probably run just fine on Switch (for anyone wanting to point out Colors, that was outsourced, this is in-house).

BlackTron

Come on, what was so funny, lol? BlackTron BlackTron
I just don't see SEGA bothering to make a new port of a remaster of a PS3/Xbox 360 game for a console that is what? Still 1 year away? Especially since the Generations part of the game will probably run just fine on Switch (for anyone wanting to point out Colors, that was outsourced, this is in-house).

Right because no one ever ported an old game/remake to Switch before. Sure they're remaking the PS3 game in the first place for 2024 but 2025, woah who cares by then.

The performance gap between Switch and PS5 will be obvious and easy to fill with a Switch 2 version, which is their easiest way to have a Sonic option in the launch window.

Not really wishful thinking, if it doesn't happen I will just get it on Steam. But I expect an even bigger deluge of ports on Switch 2 than Switch.

nial

Right because no one ever ported an old game/remake to Switch before.
I never said that.
Sure they're remaking the PS3 game in the first place for 2024 but 2025, woah who cares by then.
I mean, yes? They would gain so little for making a next-gen version that only some people will truly care about. Most children will still be on Switch 1 and they will buy it there instead. If this was coming out at the same time as Switch 2 launch, I can see it, but not like a year before.
The performance gap between Switch and PS5 will be obvious and easy to fill with a Switch 2 version, which is their easiest way to have a Sonic option in the launch window.
Eh, I honestly believe that a Frontiers sequel for holiday 2026 is more likely.
Not really wishful thinking, if it doesn't happen I will just get it on Steam. But I expect an even bigger deluge of ports on Switch 2 than Switch.
Me too, but pretty much just those NEW cross-gen games from 2020-2024 that did not get released on Switch. I 100% expect Metaphor: ReFantazio to get ported before Sonic X Shadow Generations.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I never said that.

I mean, yes? They would gain so little for making a next-gen version that only some people will truly care about. Most children will still be on Switch 1 and they will buy it there instead. If this was coming out at the same time as Switch 2 launch, I can see it, but not like a year before.

Eh, I honestly believe that a Frontiers sequel for holiday 2026 is more likely.

I wouldn't be surprised with a Frontiers sequel for 2026, but that still leaves 2025 dry.

I don't really think they will make a "new" next gen version for Switch 2. The title we are getting IS the next-gen remake of the old game that enables them to spam it on any platform they wish. Switch 2 will just have the power to feel closer to the PS5 version.

Me too, but pretty much just those NEW cross-gen games from 2020-2024 that did not get released on Switch. I would 100% expect Metaphor Re Fantazio to get ported before Sonic X Shadow Generations.

I guess we will see. PS5 got plenty of late stage PS4 games despite being BC which is a similar situation Switch is in.

wow

I think Sonic Unleashed (day levels) blow Generations out of the water
Day levels in Unleashed were good. Unfortunately, the insanely long and bad werehog levels, QTE's, choppy performance and cutscenes so cringe they make Sonic Adventure "you're gonna crash!" look like fine art, prevented me from completing it back in the day (I'm trying again with 60FPS which helps a lot slogging through the werehog stages).

Shadow the "Edgehog" the game, and character, was a disaster. When he debuted in Sonic Adventure 2 I thought he was awesome.
There's a big mod that puts the Unleashed day levels in Sonic Generations and it plays like a dream. I consider it to be the unofficial Ultimate Edition of Generations.

Having Generations on Xbox at 4k 60 FPS I don't see the point in this re-release, the extra content seems anemic.
I'm crossing my fingers that the devs at least managed to see the Unleashed mod and added some more (or all) of it's levels to the game. If not, I'm sure people will find a way to mod the levels into this version too.

Astral Dog

There's a big mod that puts the Unleashed day levels in Sonic Generations and it plays like a dream. I consider it to be the unofficial Ultimate Edition of Generations.

I'm crossing my fingers that the devs at least managed to see the Unleashed mod and added some more (or all) of it's levels to the game. If not, I'm sure people will find a way to mod the levels into this version too.

Im not sure if 'Anemic' is the right word to describe Sonic x Shadow Generations

I mean, a brand new Shadow campaing,with its own story ,mechanics and bosses? sounds good, they didn't really had to include anything for this port, they didn't for Colours, a lesser effort would have included a Shadow skin for modern Sonic nothing more.

this might be similar to Mario 3D World+Bowser Fury if SEGA doesn't mess up, and both campaings are high quality

Unknown?

Thats not mean the game is bug free lol.
I guess I should have clarified, of course it isn't bug free. No game is bug free. The guy I responded to said the port was terrible, which it was, but it has since been fixed for the most part.

Fake

Gold Member
I guess I should have clarified, of course it isn't bug free. No game is bug free.

I guess you need to look for yourself. Patch after patch the game still have some rough edges here and there.

The patches SEGA release not entirely fixed all the bugs. Reddit is your best source for footages after those patches.

No wonder the game still selling terrible. Those problems probably make a huge factor to the game sales legs.

Now, lets pray they don't make the same stupid mistake and not hire that stupid studio behind Sonic Colors Ultimate.

Remastering Sonic Colors was suppouse to be an easy task, so no one understand why they failed so hard into make a single remaster of a very old game.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I guess you need to look for yourself. Patch after patch the game still have some rough edges here and there.

The patches SEGA release not entirely fixed all the bugs. Reddit is your best source for footages after those patches.

No wonder the game still selling terrible. Those problems probably make a huge factor to the game sales legs.

Now, lets pray they don't make the same stupid mistake and not hire that stupid studio behind Sonic Colors Ultimate.

Remastering Sonic Colors was suppouse to be an easy task, so no one understand why they failed so hard into make a single remaster of a very old game.
Here and there doesn't qualify as terrible IMO. The state it was in at launch was though and I agree that hopefully they don't repeat that same mistake.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This is interesting. So the actual quality of a Sonic title does matter and we can't assume uninformed kids will float a game.

This is interesting. So the actual quality of a Sonic title does matter.
It always did, it's just that mega fans of 90s Sonic never wanted to separate the quality of entries between the post-Dreamcast 3D titles out of spite, so they paint them all with the same broad brushstroke of bad quality. The opinion they continue to double down on is that Generations and Colors are just as bad as the worst 3D sonic has to offer, like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

To them, Sonic Mania is the only worthy entry in over 2 decades.

BlackTron

It always did, it's just that mega fans of 90s Sonic never wanted to separate the quality of entries between the post-Dreamcast 3D titles out of spite, so they paint them all with the same broad brushstroke of bad quality. The opinion they continue to double down on is that Generations and Colors are just as bad as the worst 3D sonic has to offer, like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

I meant, matter to sales. It appeared like they could release anything they wanted and it didn't matter to them because kids love Sonic. Apparently that has run out.

I'm a hardcore 90s Sonic guy, as in I left school early the day Sonic 3 came out. Mania was a very nice retread but I wouldn't trade Generations for it. I played Colors back on Wii and while it was a relief to be playing a Sonic game not stuffed with side characters and alternate gameplay styles, I never really thought it was THAT good. I think fans are just so happy when flaws are absent, that alone feels like a huge success. The main gimmick (wisp powers) was kinda meh and janky IMO.

I meant, matter to sales. It appeared like they could release anything they wanted and it didn't matter to them because kids love Sonic. Apparently that has run out.
A part of me wants to argue that this isn't true and that Sega has instead adapted to the kids of today by releasing good quality Sonic games on mobile, because that's the platform where kids who watched that Sonic movies would be located.

...But then I'd have to look up monetary gains for the following Android/iOS games and I simply don't have enough vested interest in Sonic to do so:

• Sonic Dash
  • Sonic Dash 2
  • Sonic Jump Fever
  • Sonic Runners
  • Sonic Runners Adventure
  • Sonic Speed Simulator
  • Sonic Prime Dash
  • Sonic Rumble

Aside from the pandemic years separating Sonic Speed Simulator and Sonic Prime Dash, most of these were back to back yearly releases of well made mobile games.

BlackTron

Gotta admit I completely lost the plot on mobile Sonic. Never played a single one of them. I could only have listed a third of those as existing off the top of my head. I have no idea if they're good, or "good for a mobile game" good. In any case a Sonic title designed to be played without buttons is pretty dead to me thus my disinterest.

Ristifer

Don’t really care to spend $80CDN on this, just for some new levels for Shadow lol. He was decent in one game over 20 years ago. The rest of his appearances have been highly forgettable.

The actual core of Generations is great, though. But you can get that on sale anytime.

Nah. I think most Sonic fans can appreciate Generations and Colours for what they are. You’ll always get corners of the fandom that say nothing was good post-1994, but you’ll also find the opposite corner that says only the modern games are good and have never been bad. It goes both ways. And they’re both wrong.

Gotta admit I completely lost the plot on mobile Sonic. Never played a single one of them. I could only have listed a third of those as existing off the top of my head. I have no idea if they're good, or "good for a mobile game" good. In any case a Sonic title designed to be played without buttons is pretty dead to me thus my disinterest.
Most of them range from good enough quality to unreasonably good quality to make me realize that there must be a lot of profit in that department for them to care so much about mobile game quality.

Nah. I think most Sonic fans can appreciate Generations and Colours for what they are. You’ll always get corners of the fandom that say nothing was good post-1994, but you’ll also find the opposite corner that says only the modern games are good and have never been bad. It goes both ways. And they’re both wrong.
I've mainly seen the 3D fans do this as a reaction to the 2D-only fandom being the way they are. It makes me think that if one didn't exist, the other wouldn't feel like they need to exist as a counter. Regardless I don't want the conversation to go down that path. I just feel that a certain level of quality of the game does matter to most Sonic fans.

Even if a series would be seen as a consistently 75/100 rated series in the public eye (and there are some franchises that fit this criteria), fans of that franchise would still not be happy if an entry dipped to 50/100 in rating.

Fake

Gold Member
This is interesting. So the actual quality of a Sonic title does matter and we can't assume uninformed kids will float a game.

Twitter videos made a huge factor in this matter.
Sure destroy ever chance this game had. Nothing against Sonic Colors, for me is my favorite ever, but SEGA did dirty and cheap hiring a mediocre company to do the remaster.

cireza

Also no, these are not the only stages. But my god, that glowup for Kingdom Valley (one of the few levels I liked from '06).

Saw the trailer. I am quite happy to see them picking more stages from previous games, however what is shown here are exact replicas of the old levels and this totally sucks. They need to make new stages, and I don't want even one that is strictly copy-pasted from old games because it is uninteresting. Keep the cool environments, but make new content.

BlackTron

Don’t really care to spend $80CDN on this, just for some new levels for Shadow lol. He was decent in one game over 20 years ago. The rest of his appearances have been highly forgettable.

The actual core of Generations is great, though. But you can get that on sale anytime.

I agree with everything here, including paying full price for this game. I already have half of it on several platforms and it is destined to have a steep discount if patient enough. I also concur Shadow was cool in the first game he appeared in and ever since has been whatever, riding on character design and past success. But that's kind of why this interests me, a compilation of Shadow stuff including Sonic Adventure 2 maps in HD. For that matter, in SA2 I just kept playing Sonic/Shadow levels over and over again, and this is a full game that condenses that experience.

There are a lot of good Shadow levels that shouldn't be excluded just because Sonic didn't run them, now they don't have to be.

anthony2690

Also no, these are not the only stages. But my god, that glowup for Kingdom Valley (one of the few levels I liked from '06).

How many new stages will there be?

I saw this trailer and thought oh no, these are the only new stages (I'm all in regardless as generations is one of the best sonic games ever imo)

BlackTron

Saw the trailer. I am quite happy to see them picking more stages from previous games, however what is shown here are exact replicas of the old levels and this totally sucks. They need to make new stages, and I don't want even one that is strictly copy-pasted from old games because it is uninteresting. Keep the cool environments, but make new content.

On the one hand, we want new levels.

On the other hand, the old ones were good so rehashing it locks-in good level design, possibly better than ST can do today.

Ultimately I want both. Add a second act with new content like Sonic Mania.

BlackTron

I will not preorder for the Sonic Adventure skin.

But I WILL pay an extra $100 for SA2 character animations. God Shadow's rollerskate animation has sucked ever since.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
This new key art is dope!

GXNpkf3bgAMNlCa

Top Bottom