• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony feeling the heat from MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the undeniable breakout success of Microsoft's Xbox (claiming ~30% marketshare with its first console entry, usurping one former industry leader and veteran console manufacturer), MS and Xbox have emerged as major players for the next generation console war. 2004 in particular has seen many of Xbox's highest profile releases. With several new games released in 2004 with the potential to be million sellers (and of course the guaranteed blockbuster Halo 2), Xbox is riding a pretty good wave of content through the end of the year and into early 2005 and gaining more mindshare and brand loyalty among video game consumers.

An interesting tidbit from a recent thread (IIRC) was that Xbox's newest marketshare gain (a few percent) did not come from Nintendo, as the majority of Xbox's marketshare did, but rather PS2. While PS2 still has some big hits coming (GTA:SA, MGS3), do you think Sony's recent announcement that GT4 will release in time for Christmas without online play indicate a feeling from Sony that PS2 needed more content to counter the Xbox's killer app (Halo 2) and other upcoming A-list games?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yes because from what I've seen there are no other A-list titles coming to the PS2 this fall.

DJ Demon J said:
With the undeniable breakout success of Microsoft's Xbox (claiming ~30% marketshare with its first console entry, usurping one former industry leader and veteran console manufacturer)

How did the Microsoft 30% marketshare rumor get started? 72 million vs 15.5 vs 14.5 does not give Microsoft 30%.

Even in the US, it's 24.5M vs 9.5 vs 7.8, which only give M$ less than 23%. I guess if you go buy the most recent monthly NPD totals, you could get 30%, but that's about it.

MS and Xbox have emerged as major players for the next generation console war. 2004 in particular has seen many of Xbox's highest profile releases. With several new games released in 2004 with the potential to be million sellers (and of course the guaranteed blockbuster Halo 2), Xbox is riding a pretty good wave of content through the end of the year and into early 2005 and gaining more mindshare and brand loyalty among video game consumers.

Agreed

While PS2 still has some big hits coming (GTA:SA, MGS3), do you think Sony's recent announcement that GT4 will release in time for Christmas without online play indicate a feeling from Sony that PS2 needed more content to counter the Xbox's killer app (Halo 2) and other upcoming A-list games?

Uhhh. No. I think Sony's got it all over Microsoft this holiday, with the understanding that Halo 2 will be bigger than people can really imagine. However, other than that, Sony hands down will own this holiday with GTA: SA, MGS3, GT4, Jak 3, R&C: UYA, Killzone, Ace Combat 5, and a great stable of RPG's (which won't beat out Fable, but collectively they are incredible and they are numerous),

With the undeniable breakout success of Microsoft's Xbox (claiming ~30% marketshare with its first console entry, usurping one former industry leader and veteran console manufacturer), MS and Xbox have emerged as major players for the next generation console war.

:lol :lol :lol

jedimike

Sony's already made a good counter move with the redesigned PS2. That will take the spotlight of of MS again.

However, it does seem that Sony is a bit stretched right now and is miss firing where they seldom have in the past.

Hard drive peripheral = failed
GT4 = no online play
$82M lawsuit they lost

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I agree with DJ... Microsoft is the one kicking ass and taking names this year. At the very least, they are putting up the best fight against the behemoth that is Sony that they've ever had so far this generation and all signs are pointing to a continuation of this fierce battle between the giants. This gen, it was a 2-horse race for second place against Nintendo and now that Microsoft has clearly passed them, they're looking to take on the leader of the pack from here on out.

Solid

d00med

Nice knowing you PS2.

Oh wait, PStwo + GTA:SA, GT4 and MGS3 this fall. It might be a happy end to this fairy-tale.

Insertia

DJ Demon J said:
While PS2 still has some big hits coming (GTA:SA, MGS3), do you think Sony's recent announcement that GT4 will release in time for Christmas without online play indicate a feeling from Sony that PS2 needed more content to counter the Xbox's killer app (Halo 2) and other upcoming A-list games?

What other A-list games does Xbox have this year? Halo2 is the only hit Xbox has for the remainder of the year, and GTA:SA can handle that easily.

GT4 is being released this year without online play to cash in on Christmas sales.
I don't like it, but it'll sell over a million this year with or without online play.

Prine

Banned
jedimike said:
Sony's already made a good counter move with the redesigned PS2. That will take the spotlight of of MS again.

However, it does seem that Sony is a bit stretched right now and is miss firing where they seldom have in the past.

Hard drive peripheral = failed
GT4 = no online play
$82M lawsuit they lost

Honestly, i dont think HDD was that important to new customers and GT4 having no online wont really affect sales that much.

PS2 will own everything this Xmas, but Xbox even being considered as competition speaks volumes about the strides MS have made.

The've spaced out quality software brilliantly this year, every month theres always something to look foward to, compared to last year when Xbox only had KOTOR in June, then a huge gap until November where all their big name titles failed to meet expectation in sales. And who can forget that awful starwars bundle.

jedimike

What other A-list games does Xbox have this year?

Attack of the sequels...

Halo 2
Mech Assault 2
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Ghost Recon 2

... and Blinx 2 (threw that one in for laughs) :D

Prine

Banned
I really want to know what type of bundle they're offering this year. Crystal Xbox + PGR2 + Crimson Skies would be good

OR

Crystal Xbox + Panzer Dragoon Orta (graphical advertisment for new customers) + PGR2 ( promoting online)

Prine

Banned
jedimike said:
Attack of the sequels...

Halo 2
Mech Assault 2
Ghost Recon 2

Outrun 2 (not really sales juggernaught but quality nonetheless)
Pro Evolution 4 (potentially 2nd biggest game in EU)

Duckhuntdog said:
I wonder if this is to divert attention from the Xbox 2 no BC thread? So far it seems to be doing it's job.

Not my intention; BC's that dinosaur/caveman game right? I was never hyped about that, and I scratch my head thinking who in their right mind would like it, the game's artsyle looked like crap. Maybe some of my fellow Xbots pushed it, but I thought it was crap.

xsarien

daedsiluap
DJ Demon J said:
Not my intention; BC's that dinosaur/caveman game right? I was never hyped about that, and I scratch my head thinking who in their right mind would like it, the game's artsyle looked like crap. Maybe some of my fellow Xbots pushed it, but I thought it was crap.

I think the fella means "Backwards compatibility." Incidentally, just to show how far out of the loop I am in certain instances, I thought BC came and went awhile ago. It's still not out?

Hellraizah

Don't know if it was sarcasm, anyways, he was speaking about backward compatibility.

I declare :

At the end of 2004, either you have an Xbox or you want to have an Xbox.

It's as simple as this.

xsarien said:
I think the fella means "Backwards compatibility." Incidentally, just to show how far out of the loop I am in certain instances, I thought BC came and went awhile ago. It's still not out?

Ah, well yea, MS is fucking stupid for that. No excuse not to build it in there, IMHO. Will be interesting to see if PS3 fully supports PS2 (even PS1) games. Same with the Revolution.

Hellraizah said:
Don't know if it was sarcasm, anyways, he was speaking about backward compatibility.

I declare :

At the end of 2004, either you have an Xbox or you want to have an Xbox.

It's as simple as this.

I don't know if I've ever read a statement as ridiculous on this board. And i've even read all of mine. Thanks for the declaration.

I declare that statement pathetic drivel.

Insertia

jedimike said:
Attack of the sequels...

Halo 2
Mech Assault 2
Ghost Recon 2

Ghost Recon 2 is also on PS2 & GC.

KoTOR2 has zero hype (i didn't even know it was even being releasef this year) and it's not looking very good atm.

Mechassault 2? hah?

My point still stands, Halo2 is Xbox's only heavy hitter for the remainder of the year. Granted it's all Xbox needs, but M$ doesn't have a line of games that are particularly threatening.

Insertia said:
Ghost Recon 2 is also on PS2.

KoTOR2 has zero hype (i didn't even know it was even being release this year) and it's not looking very good atm.

Mechassault 2? hah.

My point still stands, Halo2 is Xbox's only heavy hitter for the remainder of the year.

Ghost Recon will sell 5 times on the Xbox vs PS2, and they're not the same games either. However, it could be cast aside by Xbox gamers in leiu of Halo 2. We'll have to see.

KOTOR2 will still be a great game.

MechAssault 2 comes out AFTER Christmas, and I agree that it's a bit player sales-wise

DarienA

Insertia said:
Ghost Recon 2 is also on PS2.

KoTOR2 has zero hype (i didn't even know it was even being release this year) and it's not looking very good atm.

Mechassault 2? hah.

My point still stands, Halo2 is Xbox's only heavy hitter for the remainder of the year. Granted it's all Xbox needs, but M$ doesn't have a line of games that are particularly threatening.

-Yeah but IIRC it's usually sold better on the Xbox.... Xbox fps > PS2 fps.
-KOTOR2 doesn't have hyped? It's been on the cover of a few mags including EGM IIRC what more does it need?
-Mechassault was a sleeper hit... don't sleep on 2.

You're point still stands?... no... no it doesn't.

edit: It ships 12/28

Solid

So it's...

Halo 2
Mech Assault 2
Ghost Recon 2
Outrun 2
Pro Evolution 4
Prince of Persia 2

vs

Ghost Recon 2
Pro Evolution 4
Prince of Persia 2
Killzone
Gran Turismo 4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
GTA: San Andreas
Ratchet & Clank 3
Jak III
The Getaway 2
Ace Combat 5
PStwo

That's a pretty weak lineup for Xbox IMO, eventhough Halo 2 is my most wanted game this year together with MGS3 and GTA:SA.

DarienA said:
-Yeah but IIRC it's (Ghost Recon) usually sold better on the Xbox.... Xbox fps > PS2 fps.

PS2 T.CLANCYS GHOST RECON UBI SOFT 1,013,387
XBX T.CLANCYS GHOST RECON UBI SOFT 945,412

Amazing, how could PS2 gamers be sooo dumb? The game is absolute garbage.

Deepthroat said:
So it's...

Halo 2
Mech Assault 2
Ghost Recon 2
Outrun 2
Pro Evolution 4
Prince of Persia 2

vs

Ghost Recon 2
Pro Evolution 4
Prince of Persia 2
Killzone
Gran Turismo 4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
GTA: San Andreas
Ratchet & Clank 3
Jak III
The Getaway 2
Ace Combat 5
PStwo

That's a pretty weak lineup for Xbox IMO, eventhough Halo 2 is my most wanted game this year together with MGS3 and GTA:SA.

Add WWE Smackdown vs Raw (online) - always big on PS2
and Tony Hawk UG 2 (online) - always big on PS2

DarienA

sonycowboy said:

Wow I had no idea isn't Ghost Recon the series where the Xbox version was released quite a bit of time before the PS2 one? I also thought the PS2 one was not online? I have trouble keeping track of all these military FPS.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
sonycowboy said:

The only reason it sold so well for both ps2 and xbox... is because everyone was confusing it for splinter cell. They just ask for that new "tom clancy" game

DarienA said:
Wow I had no idea isn't Ghost Recon the series where the Xbox version was released quite a bit of time before the PS2 one? I also thought the PS2 one was not online? I have trouble keeping track of all these military FPS.

XBX Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Ubisoft 11/11/02 (online)
PS2 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Ubisoft 12/01/02

This thread is a joke. If anyone is feeling the heat its MS XBOX. One major exclusive title, fable sucked arse, and Dirty Disc Errors are just a couple of reasons why Xbox is still always going to be in last place.
(btw this is coming from an xbox owner)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Infernodash said:
This thread is a joke. If anyone is feeling the heat its MS XBOX. One major exclusive title, fable sucked arse, and Dirty Disc Errors are just a couple of reasons why Xbox is still always going to be in last place.

Drugs are bad for you.

Razoric

Banned
Infernodash said:

Fable sucked? Wow I'm enjoying it, it's got decent reviews and it's selling well. I must have missed that memo.

Last place? Damn thought it was #2 worldwide now.

Get a clue.

Hellraizah

sonycowboy said:
I don't know if I've ever read a statement as ridiculous on this board. And i've even read all of mine. Thanks for the declaration.

I declare that statement pathetic drivel.
You just blew up my chances of getting a tag.

DarienA

sonycowboy said:
XBX Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Ubisoft 11/11/02 (online)
PS2 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Ubisoft 12/01/02

Remarkable I can't believe the PS2 offline version outside the Xbox online version... IIRC the reviews for the PS2 version weren't even that favorable 67.1 vs 85.3 at gamerankings.com... wow....

transgenicsinfield.jpg

I'll go back to an earlier question I made, did Microsoft make a mistake by letting all the AAA titles release earlier in the year? I mean it certainly helped sales somewhat, but they would have been real good anyway given the sales trends that were already existing. And when you look at monthly sales, there doesn't seem to be a huge boost relative to new releases, just the price drop.

Imagine if Ninja Gaiden, FSW, Riddick, RSC, & Fable were holiday releases.

Of course, this is somewhat academic and Halo 2 has big enough shoulders that I think it can carry the Xbox by itself this holiday season.

Razoric said:
Fable sucked? Wow I'm enjoying it, it's got decent reviews and it's selling well. I must have missed that memo.

Last place? Damn thought it was #2 worldwide now.

Get a clue.

Huh? MS in front of Nintendo? LOL, you're serious? Get a grip young man, nintendo is still holding down second place.

Insertia

sonycowboy said:
Ghost Recon will sell 5 times on the Xbox vs PS2, and they're not the same games either. However, it could be cast aside by Xbox gamers in leiu of Halo 2. We'll have to see.

KOTOR2 will still be a great game.

MechAssault 2 comes out AFTER Christmas, and I agree that it's a bit player sales-wise

5 times better? Last I checked (early '03), Ghost Recon for xbox was released a month ahead of the ps2 version of inferior quality (averaged 67% while xb version average 85% at gamerankings, ps2 version also had no online play), yet the ps2 version still managed to stay 75k or so behind the xbox version.

KOTOR may very well be great, but from the way it's look now (XBN Oct 2004 cover preview), the odds are against it. Neither the gameplay nor graphics are looking nearly as impressive as the original. If it manages to pull in the same numbers as the original I'll be surprised.

edit- damnit, you guys already beat me with the Ghost Recon dirt.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Be careful what you say... this is GAF, where everyone's allowed to insult Nintendo and Nintendrones... but if you say anything even remotely insulting to MS, people will jump on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom