• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is increasing PS+ prices in various European countries and Japan

sublimit

Banned
It seems as though Sony is increasing various PlayStation Plus subscription prices in different European countries. The news comes courtesy of a forum thread over on PSNProfiles, which is based on emails that users have received. Said emails go over revised pricing for countries such as France, Germany, Sweden, and Switzerland. Japan is also seeing a price increase.

However, in some regions, such as Japan, the price increase only applies to the one month subscription option.
What's more, adjustments in the likes of Sweden and Switzerland appear to be price corrections more than anything, as previously it was actually cheaper to buy multiple one month subs rather than a whole year. Still, a price increase is a price increase.

At the time of writing it's unclear how widespread these price adjustments are. Our advice would be to keep an eye on your emails -- all of the relevant information should be sent to you by PlayStation if your region is impacted by the changes.

The new prices will come into effect starting from the 1st August, 2019. The last time European PS Plus prices increased was back in 2017, and let's just say that it didn't go down well. Now that PS Plus offers just two "free" PS4 games a month, its diminishing value has already been called into question on multiple occasions, and with moves like this, it's not the best look for Sony or the subscription service as a whole.

#fortheplayers

sublimit

Banned
So what are the new prices?
Euro countries will only see a price increase for the 1 month subscription, non-Euro countries (like Switzerland or Sweden) will see a price increase in all three subscriptions.
Switzerland:
- 1 year from 59.90 to 69.90 CHF

- 3 months from 24.90 to 27.90 CHF

- monthly from 7.90 to 9.90 CHF

Sweden:
Från och med den 1 augusti 2019 kommer priserna för PlayStation Plus-prenumerationer att öka i Sverige på grund av det rådande marknadsläget.

1 YEAR En helårsprenumeration med förnyande kommer kosta 620.00 kr (from 575.00) UP 7,8%
3 MONTHS En tremånadersprenumeration med förnyande kommer kosta 260.00 kr (from 235.00) UP 10,6%
1 MONTH En månadadsprenumeration med förnyande kommer kosta 95.00 kr (from 75.00) UP 26,6%

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Raise the price and they only give us 2 Fucking games (and even there not the best games).

Thanks a lot for nothing Sony :messenger_expressionless: ( Sarcasm)

juliotendo

$59.99 USD per year for PlayStation Plus is probably the absolute maximum I would pay for that service given it only provides access to multiplayer games and the occasional discount on the PlayStation Store. The quality of the “free” monthly games has been slowly dropping for the last few months and outside of that — PlayStation Plus isn’t that all fantastic...

Mattyp

Gold Member
They should do some sort of tiered service, I just want to play the games I bought online, don't give a shit about anything else.

Pretty much all you're nearly paying for at the moment after they dropped giving away 4 games. Would of saved them a shitload in licencing but raised the fees anyway? For the players I guess.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Pretty much all you're nearly paying for at the moment after they dropped giving away 4 games. Would of saved them a shitload in licencing but raised the fees anyway? For the players I guess.

Also they are such son of the bitch. They had said that all the price of PS Plus would be for maintenance of servers and Now they get me angry with the giant stupidity of closing the server online of Gravity rush 2.

What a huge son of the Bitches they are.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
But they can't be bothered to keep the servers of stuff like Gravity Rush 2 or Driveclub online, lol

Heard Netflix are putting their prices up here in the UK too. As someone with no subs, I often wonder how people manage it all.

Stuff like Ps+ isn't that expensive if you calculate it monthly. You generally get a few chances every year to grab something like PS+ for $40 and with that it comes to a bit over $3 a month. I know a lot of people that spend like $2 or $3 on coffee almost every single week day.
And with stuff like Netflix I imagine a lot of people just share the cost. Over here the standard Netflix subscription is around $9, I share it with my sister so we each pay $4.5.
Combine both and it's $7.5 a month. I don't have any other one but let's add another hypothetical $5 subscription (music, or some other streaming service) and we are at $12.5.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to defend unnecessary subscriptions, this will probably be my last year of Ps+ unless Sony announce some amazing exclusive multiplayer game. And $12.5 doesn't sound like much but if you add it to a year it's still $150 you could be spending on something else.

But it's really no that crazy.

Last edited:

Pallas

I’m waiting for the inevitable “It’s Microsoft’s fault” because of how both companies are now cooperating and working together.

Zog

Banned
I’m waiting for the inevitable “It’s Microsoft’s fault” because of how both companies are now cooperating and working together.

Do you think you would be paying Sony to play online if not for Microsoft.

Pallas

That wasn’t the point and obviously you would, it was poking at the price hike in certain markets which is natural due to corrections, currency changes, inflation, etc but some would make this into something more than it should be.

Pallas

You think that even without Microsoft normalizing pay to play online, Sony would still be charging?

You think otherwise? Let’s not pretend Microsoft was the first subscription based online service.

This is going off topic.

leo-j

sony is going to have to step up their PS PLUS game in their main markets. Only 2 games a month vs the 6 games one would get monthly is a mess. It went from

AAA ip like
LBP 2
INFAMOUS
GOD OF WAR III

to low budget non attractive games mostly. They should let you get two instant games and a ps now game ;)

Codes 208

I saw It as an eventuality. MS just happened to be the first to pull the trigger. But for good reason, xbl was vastly superior to the online options at the time.

It wasnt really until steam came more into full force and the failure of windows live that i would argue you could do better for cheaper.

And after the hack from last year sony needed to up their game so i wasnt surprised they swapped over to a paid service. Someone’s gotta pay for servers.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

It's good news for me. If PS+ were to suddenly offer a high value service, then I'd probably regret my choice to not renew.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nobody likes price increases, and my issue with PS+ has always been the thinking that free games justify getting rid of free online multiplayer but again it’s no better than Xbox Live

MayauMiao

The disappointing "free" games from PS+ lately have so far made me continue to not pay for the service. This price increase just solidify it.

Top Bottom