• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been six months since Sony increased PS Plus prices

What is your stance on the PS Plus price increase?

• The service improved and I renewed my membership

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • The service improved but I didn't renew my membership

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • I didn't renew my membership but I'm going to (Quality increased)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • I didn't renew my membership and I'm not going to (Quality did not increase)

Votes: 221 63.5%
  • Other

Votes: 97 27.9%

• Total voters

KiteGr

Transitioning to PC...
I'll miss playing with friends online, but as someone who doens't care about the rest of the fluf, I can't be paying 80€ a year Just so I can play online and still not considering my self an idiot.
My cus has pre-bought subscriptions during a discount unti 2034 so the price increases don't effect him, but it sucks being on different platforms.

manzo

Let essential to lapse for the first time since 2012. I started with the launch of PS4, let it lapse for the first time in January.

I don't really play online anymore, the only good was cloud saving.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The increase made me evaluate just how much I was actually utilizing my subscription, and I concluded that I was barely playing the available games for Premium, and not even Extra. So I reduced my sub down to Essential. I have not had the urge to upgrade since. The free games, multiplayer, and occasional discount on a game is enough for me.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Got essential and feel like it's been the same since the service started. But I end up saving lots from the ps plus sales so I'll keep it around for the foreseeable future

Mobilemofo

Downgraded from premium to extra last year. Probably gonna drop again. A few films and some crunchyroll shit ain't value. 😅 Am I right? I'm not wrong.

My Take: If Sony would have just released more into stores instead of doing online only(for the most part) I more-than-likely would have got one.
However, I can see myself skipping PS6 because I couldn't get a PS5 and don't see why I should, when they are making that slow transition to PC and all the PS5 games they released for PC, I bought on Steam. So... I don't feel any incentive to get PS6. I would probably even skip it, if a Bloodborne 2 came out for it. Yeah... I think I would? My Will has leveled up in the last few years, immensely.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Funny with the timing of this thread since my PS+ Extra sub expires today; waiting for a discount to resubscribe else I probably won't bother.
Looks like the discount came sooner than I expected, so I decided to resub to PS+ Extra for one year. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

YcsWg7N.png

Cyberpunkd

So I got curious and wondered how much you need to pay to play online e.g. Fallout 76. If I understand this right you need the lowest tier which is...72€ per year after discount (paying upfront).

Not Funny No GIF by Originals

Playstation 5 is going to most likely be my last console, and even now it is not getting played a lot (kids are glued to Switch, myself to Steam Deck).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Still subscribed until like 2027? I made sure I had stacked years well enough in advance to at least last the whole generation and I even the the PS Now trick to convert it all to PS Plus Premium so no I haven't renewed my subscription.

But I don't think I will resubscribe anyways? I have partially transitioned over to PC and you got the Steam Deck to thank for that transition.

Last edited:

angelgs90

I canceled my subscription at that time.

After that I realized the anxiety that having an active subscription gave me, always wondering if I was playing enough to justify the expense, and realizing that many times I played without the desire to do so.

Now I only play when I really feel like it, and I spend a lot more time on other hobbies.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I cancelled my membership. Waited 2 months and received an email with 55% discount to reinstate. I suggest you do the same.

I don’t identify as a wallet.

RayHell

Following the price increase news from $119.99 -> $159.99 I decided to downgrade to essential at 79.99$ because I wasn't using my premium features at all.
That 40$ extra they wanted to squeeze out of me became 40$ they lose every year. Without that increase I would have never considered switching.
Well played Sony.

Last edited:

Kupfer

DhSNBUE.png

Wow, I wonder if such figures are reasonably representative - if so, that would be devastating for Sony.
But we're probably in a bubble here and the average user hasn't even noticed the increase.

Kupfer

They just released a crappy Tomb Raider port and are asking 30 dollars.

Safe to say that it's still better to put your money in your blender than in your PSN account.

Playstation Blog:

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

5va7TcY.jpeg

Last edited:

Bond007

As much as i hate to say it - and how we ultimately got here paying for online.
PS+ is an essential subscription for me when it comes to owning a Playstation. Wont be letting go of it anytime soon. However, i only need essential currently.

Bojji

Sony is holding people hostage with that paid online.

Fuck them, my sub (premium) stopped in December and I don't have any plans to have it ever again.

Those mothefuckers also want money for cloud saves that are free on PC and Xbox and removed option to copy saves on USB. Really... Sony is almost on early PS3 levels of screwing consumers.

DhSNBUE.png

Wow, I wonder if such figures are reasonably representative - if so, that would be devastating for Sony.
But we're probably in a bubble here and the average user hasn't even noticed the increase.
Of course 300 votes on a forum won't be meaningful. If Sony lost 60% of their subscribers in a year due to this price increase you can bet they would've gone back on this decision already.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Of course 300 votes on a forum won't be meaningful. If Sony lost 60% of their subscribers in a year due to this price increase you can bet they would've gone back on this decision already.
They're not going back. They have multiple multiplayer games coming up, including Destiny, Marathon.

Valonquar

The service didn't really change at all, but I did renew my membership for online play with a few titles. There's still been a fairly consistent release of PS+ monthly games that fall into that "I wouldn't have bought this, but I'm really enjoying it!" category.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, you can piss off if you dont like it.

DrDamn

You can regularly get PS+ on discount for it not to be an issue for me.
As above. I'm currently a premium subscriber, but last two sales/discounting by Sony have excluded me as I'm an existing customer and already on their top tier. Seems like the only way to get a discount is to cancel my sub and wait.

On a side note, whilst I think in general the games that get put on the service are reasonable I expected more of Sony's back catalogue to be added by now.

kiphalfton

[x] The service stayed the same and I renewed my membership

No one in their right mind could expect an increase in anything, since everything was already on it. Continue is probably the keyword. Prices increased for them most probably, so not eating that seems somewhat reasonable. Or they just make more profit now. Either way, it is still great value.
But that crunchyroll, core movie whatever thing happened I think. And PS5 streaming. So there was indeed something new, I just don't use, yet.

I don't understand the point of advertising the inclusion of Crunchyroll content, since it doesn't even include the whole library of shows. Not even close.

I would have got the deluxe sub if it did, as that by itself is $80 for one year.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
When the PS5 Pro is close to being announced I'll sell my current PS5 so I can get a good price before the second hand prices drop too much. But I'll need a PS+ subscription at that point because that's the only way to keep my PS5 game saves safe without a PS5 till I have the PS5 Pro. Ridiculous.

RickMasters

There isn't enough on there for me to want to pay the top tier.

Like the GP question, if Sony put out at least one AAA first party title per month, plus got more third party AAA titles on the service day one, then I'd pay whatever they asked for.

Reading this thread I never realised how poor value PSN+ is. The thing is, even if they did do day and date ( which I don’t think is a loss they can eat, financially up front, and their reluctance to do day an date only shows that) …. They have not made enough nee exclusives to warrant it, nor do they have enough coming. If they owned 30+ studios a gamepass like model would make sense. Otherwise they would be have to be willing to pay devs top dollar for a stream of AAAs on the service every month.

It’s almost like they are only doing a sub because everybody else is doing one. They don’t really seem all in on it aside from hiking prices and not adding any real value in the process. They want to make money from it…. But they don’t want to spend more money or take risks with the service. Because they are still clinging to old business model for as long it will last.

RickMasters

$80 to play online is a fucking Highway robbery. Sony has no shame. Move the hq back to japan. At least they had some humility and grasp of whats right and wrong. They apologized and bowed for 5 minutes when a free fucking service went down. Can’t imagine these western suits sitting in their san Francisco corporate buildings doing the same.

Never subbing again. Not even at gunpoint. It’sa matter of principle at this point.

At some point it’s gonna set in with people that…… Sony today…. is not the same Sony of the early 2000s.

Fahdis

Lmao, I quit PS end of PS4 life cycle. Glad I didn't get a PS5. My bro in law has Premium so I play just the classics 😂

aclar00

Going on 5 months without it. Mainly used it for online. $80 a year was basically double the price for me since i would stack 2 to 3 $40 essential packages at a time. Refuse to pay $80/yr for what amounts to ocassional online play for me.

Discounts ive seen have either been some shit like $74.99 or maybe 69.99. Nothing of any significance that would bring me back in...$40 for online only and i would maybe bite

miklonus

What do I think Eimran Eimran ? It sucks dick, and I have, or, my subscription will be ending in the first week of July, and I have thought of finding a cheap way to extend it, or not extending it outright because FUCK paying 80 dollars for some shit.
I barely use the shit, and $80 for something you barely use is lame as shit.

DrDamn

When the PS5 Pro is close to being announced I'll sell my current PS5 so I can get a good price before the second hand prices drop too much. But I'll need a PS+ subscription at that point because that's the only way to keep my PS5 game saves safe without a PS5 till I have the PS5 Pro. Ridiculous.
If you go to system-> system software-> back up and restore -> backup my PS5 then you can restrict the backup to just save games and export to USB device. You can't pick and choose which but you should be able to back them up.

(Check this is correct before relying on it 😁)

Bojji

If you go to system-> system software-> back up and restore -> backup my PS5 then you can restrict the backup to just save games and export to USB device. You can't pick and choose which but you should be able to back them up.

Yeah but this is convoluted as fuck compared to copying save data that interests you to USB stick (takes under 1 minute).

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I didn't know you could backup just the saves, I thought you could only backup the complete system. But according to Sony your information is correct. It's still a gamble if a backup from a PS5 is going to be compatible with the PS5 Pro.

xrnzaaas

Going on 5 months without it. Mainly used it for online. $80 a year was basically double the price for me since i would stack 2 to 3 $40 essential packages at a time. Refuse to pay $80/yr for what amounts to ocassional online play for me.

Discounts ive seen have either been some shit like $74.99 or maybe 69.99. Nothing of any significance that would bring me back in...$40 for online only and i would maybe bite
Same here, I unsubbed and my 8+ year subscription came to an end. I wasn't using PS+ for much for a long time now, but it was relatively cheap to pick up during yearly sales. Introducing a drastic price increase and shitting on the current subs and strongly encouraging them to upgrade was more than enough to finally change my mind.

Hudo

They should raise the prices again, imho. It's such a good deal. Best deal I gaming and maybe ever in the history of deals. The amount of value you get is incredible. And it will be even better with PS5 Pro, which will be the best console ever made.

Kupfer

I hope so.
That's probably also the reason why the PS account requirement is now being introduced on the PC. You can generate "free" nice numbers that you can present to investors...it may work for the moment, but sustainability is different.

Top Bottom