• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Livestream: Game and Network Services Segment

Topher

Gold Member
For those who are interested, here are the slides for the Game and Network Services Segment livestream.

This is the link to the livestream which I believe starts in about 20 minutes. 8PM JST

Interesting slide here, that gives puts each studio in categories. Notice Guerrila and Bend are in the "evolving/multi-genre" group rather than "Single-Player, Narrative Focus"

egJBkFO.png

Spider-man 2 and Helldivers 2 performance:

qMKumZN.png

Seems the strategy of PS5 exclusives first isn't changing, so no day one on PC.

bVi7ZiV.png

Most profitable generation for PlayStation.

VHha6ul.png

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
It’s interesting seeing the slide for the PS3 bleeding Sony out for insane amounts of money in the first four years, and ultimately losing money on that entire generation. The cost of production for that console and the push for Bluray dominance over HDDVD hurt them bad. Funny really, that it was the only generation where Sony had a serious competitor with the Xbox 360 whooping their asses for years.

Shame, that modern Microsoft isn’t hungry the way they were during that era.

Radical_3d

For those who are interested, here are the slides for the Game and Network Services Segment livestream.

This is the link to the livestream which I believe starts in about 20 minutes. 8PM JST

Interesting slide here, that gives puts each studio in categories. Notice Guerrila and Bend aree in the "evolving/multi-genre" group rather than "Single-Player, Narrative Focus"

egJBkFO.png

Spider-man 2 and Helldivers 2 performance:

qMKumZN.png

Seems the strategy of PS5 exclusives first isn't changing, so no day one on PC.

bVi7ZiV.png

Most profitable generation for PlayStation.

VHha6ul.png
Depressing. There is nothing left for me in the two big companies. I guess I’ll buy a Switch 2 and play the very best of the Switvh one eventually.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
What happened to BluePoint?

denzel washington cringe GIF
They released a game 3.5 years ago, and are working on one or many new things.

Them being listed as "Partner Studio" here probably means they'll still be working on projects like the Demon's Soul/Shadow of the Colossus remake and supporting other 1st party studios in addition to the original game they've been working on.

bitbydeath

They released a game 3.5 years ago, and are working on one or many new things.

Them being listed as "Partner Studio" here probably means they'll still be working on projects like the Demon's Soul/Shadow of the Colossus remake and supporting other 1st party studios in addition to the original game they've been working on.
That chart seems to show they’re not working on any new games, just supporting other studios.

Loomy

That chart seems to show they’re not working on any new games, just supporting other studios.
Possibly, but hard to say from the chart alone. All we know about Bluepoint is the founder/president said they're working on original content, and they're credited as support on a one other of game since they finished Demon's Soul.

Varteras

This just may be because it was easier to put it in a slide this way, but I noticed that Bungie is being grouped with PlayStation Studios. Have they done this before in their presentations or is that new?

Nonehxc

It’s interesting seeing the slide for the PS3 bleeding Sony out for insane amounts of money in the first four years, and ultimately losing money on that entire generation. The cost of production for that console and the push for Bluray dominance over HDDVD hurt them bad. Funny really, that it was the only generation where Sony had a serious competitor with the Xbox 360 whooping their asses for years.

Shame, that modern Microsoft isn’t hungry the way they were during that era.
Funny thing is, while Sony was busy busting their PS3 balls between two bricks...PS2 was outselling Xbox 360 left and right waiting for Big Bro PS3 to stop punching itself 🤭

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Going to elaborate?
Aren’t we all seeing the same graph?
egJBkFO.png

Only 5 internal studios are doing traditional games. The rest is either externalised, GaaS (thanks Jimbo) or whatever the eff means evolving that I guess is that they are introducing GaaS elements in the traditional games. There is no Japan Studio doing weird thing. Asobi is little so don’t expect anything big. ND is ok, I guess, but Hennig is no longer there and I’ve played Druckman’s game several times already and it’s getting old and I suspect that Hennig is out because is the one that tried to stop his massive ego. All cinematic or open world games that is what is working. No Wipeout, no MotorStorm, no Gravity Rush, no Fumigo Ueda game, no Jenova Chen game. I know that what Sony is doing now is massively popular but that’s no longer for me.

On the Xbox side of things I’m already prepared for my SX to be a Classic and 360 4K HDR player of the games that made me love the brand.

So I’ll have my PS5 Pro for the thirds and all but I know that I no longer have to expect anything of the hardware companies.

JaksGhost

egJBkFO.png

Only 5 internal studios are doing traditional games. The rest is either externalised, GaaS (thanks Jimbo) or whatever the eff means evolving that I guess is that they are introducing GaaS elements in the traditional games. There is no Japan Studio doing weird thing. Asobi is little so don’t expect anything big. ND is ok, I guess, but Hennig is no longer there and I’ve played Druckman’s game several times already and it’s getting old and I suspect that Hennig is out because is the one that tried to stop his massive ego. All cinematic or open world games that is what is working. No Wipeout, no MotorStorm, no Gravity Rush, no Fumigo Ueda game, no Jenova Chen game. I know that what Sony is doing now is massively popular but that’s no longer for me.

On the Xbox side of things I’m already prepared for my SX to be a Classic and 360 4K HDR player of the games that made me love the brand.

So I’ll have my PS5 Pro for the thirds and all but I know that I no longer have to expect anything of the hardware companies.
You’re reading too much into a graph that even you yourself can’t even comprehend. Let me give you a hint, there are two other studios also doing single player narrative games.

Last edited:

Loomy

This just may be because it was easier to put it in a slide this way, but I noticed that Bungie is being grouped with PlayStation Studios. Have they done this before in their presentations or is that new?
They're part of Playstation Studios, and FY24 was the first full year under PS Studios, so it's probably why they're listed here for the first time?

Varteras

They're part of Playstation Studios, and FY24 was the first full year under PS Studios, so it's probably why they're listed here for the first time?

They were part of SIE. Not PS Studios. They didn't answer to the head of PS Studios. This would be a pretty substantial change if they're now under PS Studios. It would mean they lost the autonomy they had.

bitbydeath

egJBkFO.png

*7 internal studios.
The blue just means they were acquired recently.

EDIT: And the staff from FireSprite had worked on WipeOut and Motorstorm.

Ueda and Chen were 2nd party, which Sony uses XDev for, whom are still around today and recently made Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom