• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony; PS VR2 was "designed with PC connection in mind from the beginning."

Three

I mean doesn't it make sense to port Call of the Mountain to PC since it underperformed on PS5. That's a life line for Firesprite to get some additional cash.
It does but I meant it doesn't stop people saying a PS game is coming to PC like it's a certainty and planned from the beginning even when it releases 2+ years later. Yet if PSVR2 PC is planned to release 2 yrs later it wasn't planned?

StueyDuck

Excited Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

sendit

I'm not sure what people have against the adapter. The Valve Index cable to connect to your PC:

images

Look familiar?
People are championing the Quest for Link but that crap streams your PCVR games even via cable. It compresses by using your PC resources to encode a video on the fly then decode it on the other side of the cable because it doesn't support Display Port over USB-C either:

The quests are also known to still require battery even when plugged into your PC because they dont get enough power from the PC.

The PSVR2 is like most high end headsets out there with its own display cable/port, power, and usb connection. The Valve index is a PC only headset, not from 2004 and does the exact same thing.
The Valve Index is ancient. It should be a single cable.

ReBurn

Gold Member
One of the most wildly ignorant posts I've seen on a gaming forum and that is saying a lot.

• Because video card manufacturers removed VirtualLink from their video cards
  • There isn't a video card on the market that takes a single USB-C cable and charges while you play and the PSVR2 doesn't have a battery because it isn't a wireless headset
  • The PC adapter is a solution for the lack of VirtualLink on the vast majority of video cards on the market
  • You need Bluetooth for the controllers just like you need Bluetooth to use Bluetooth gamepads... You can't be serious... Absolutely unserious question
Literally everything you said proves that PSVR2 was not designed with PC in mind. How was my comment ignorant if you provided a detailed list of reasons why my comment is true?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is hardware, not software. Just because the hardware has features doesn't mean it can work retroactively on older software.

Sony COULD force all software that works on it to have been certified by Sony first, which is what happens with PSVR games. But that would mean the existing PCVR software wouldn't be allowed to run and thus defeats the purpose.

Go bug your VR software developers to add the missing features. This is NOT Sony's job.
I love my psvr2 but this is next level

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If that were the case then it wouldn't necessitate an adapter.

For the missing features, even in the case of 'but the software doesn't support it' .. well guess who has made software for PSVR2 that *does* support all that, and can bring it over to PC ?

Last edited:

daffyduck

Because the software on PC markets didn't have these features. Not Sony's fault.

If PSVR2 takes off then maybe the software developers would actually put the features in. Sony can't magically add features to games that never meant to have those features. You might as well demand a Colour TV to retroactively colour in a black and white video recording.
Yes, there aren’t a lot of VR games that support eye tracking on PC, for instance.

However the (more expensive) VR headsets with eye tracking, *do* continue to support that feature with the few PC games that support it (eg flight sims).

What’s Sony’s excuse?

I love my psvr2 but this is next level
Is it really feasible to have all the unique features automatically work though? We don't even get all those features when playing most VR games from the PSN store.

Lack of HDR surprises me the most, and hand controller rumble (assuming that also doesnt work), but all the other things, it seems like it would need to be baked into the game itself.

I honestly don't know. Just basing it off my own experience with games.

Yes, there aren’t a lot of VR games that support eye tracking on PC, for instance.

However the (more expensive) VR headsets with eye tracking, *do* continue to support that feature with the few PC games that support it (eg flight sims).

What’s Sony’s excuse?
Most PSVR2 games on PSN don't even support all the unique features and are just pure Quest ports. I'm honestly confused as to why people expected all these things to automatically work when connected to a PC. Developers themselves say they need to implement these things when porting to PSVR2.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony's not stupid they take a lot of moves out of apples play book. Why not make money off an extra accessory?

Do you think you can just plug in the USBC cable in your pc and it works?

That’s not how it works. None of the PCVR headsets work like that. All have a form of a box or multiple cables.

Ozriel

M$FT
Read this:

Funny, this thread shows that a lot of people have no experience with VR and are just here for the drive by posts.

People don’t know shit about VR.

How does that answer his ‘what’s the point’ question?

It is also worth noting that Oculus solution is not an output but a cpu-heavy packed streaming which quite wonky in heavy games even via the cable.

The Quest 2/3 are the dominant PCVR headsets and most folks have no issues playing HL Alyx.

daffyduck

Most PSVR2 games on PSN don't even support all the unique features and are just pure Quest ports. I'm honestly confused as to why people expected all these things to automatically work when connected to a PC. Developers themselves say they need to implement these things when porting to PSVR2.
I agree with your first sentence.

However, again, why can’t it support those features in the cases where the application software (and the developers of such) does support them?

Other PCVR headsets that have those unique features can do it.

I agree with your first sentence.

However, again, why can’t it support those features in the cases where the application software (and the developers of such) does support them?

Other PCVR headsets that have those unique features can do it.
That's a fair expectation, I agree, it should be supported if other games already have it implemented. All I've seen is people acting like it should be present in all games and that's where my confusion stemmed from.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It does but I meant it doesn't stop people saying a PS game is coming to PC like it's a certainty and planned from the beginning even when it releases 2+ years later. Yet if PSVR2 PC is planned to release 2 yrs later it wasn't planned?

Why does it matter what people say?

I wish I could make progress with getting people to understand how the corporate world works.

Just because hardware is designed for PC doesn't mean Sony had moved in a direction of supporting software on PC at that time.

PSVR came out in 2016. They almost certainly started working on PSVR2 after PSVR came out, maybe even beforehand. The idea for PSVR2 to work on PC probably came well before Sony thought they would support PC with software.

The first PC release from Sony came out in August 2020. So, if you assume they started the port a year earlier, August 2019, and then maybe a quarter before that they began planning, so you're looking at Q1 or Q2 2019 and that's a completely different stream and roadmap. Call of the Mountain was announced in January of 2022. Assuming it had already been in development for a couple of years, it is no surprise that it wouldn't have been developed for PC.

There is little reason why Sony would need to port their PC games in order to sell headsets on PC. That being said, I would not be surprised if Until Dawn supports VR on both PC and PS5, but not because of the headset, but rather to sell more copies on PC.

Three

I don't even know what you're getting at at this point...
I'm saying I've seen people commenting that because PC support for PSVR2 is releasing around 1.5yrs later it must not have been planned for PC before. Some of those same people though are adamant that all of the PS games are planned for PC, some releasing 2+ years later. I'm questioning why they think software that was released 2+ years later than PS was planned all along and all they needed to do is wait but hardware that gets PC support <2 years later than PS could not have been planned before.

Basically everyone is questioning this:

"The importance of PC connection was recognized even within the PS VR2 development team, and PC connection was also taken into consideration when the design of PS VR2 began. On the release date of PS VR2, we first worked on optimizing the VR experience when connected to a PS5, and then accelerated development of PC compatibility after the release."

But if they had said this about some game everyone would be saying "duh, I knew it!" with a dumb grin.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Why would they want this statement out there, in light of core features not being supported on PC. If they play it as PC support being a bonus, then it is justifiable. If they want to play it as "this was the plan all along," then it makes them look incompetent. As I didn't believe they are incompetent, I call BS as well.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
So I've tried PS R2 on my second rendering rig with RTX 2080 today directly through USB-C on the card (without any adapter) and with BT on the mobo.

It works natively and flawlessly with SteamVR. So I can see no lies. Any native VirtualLink port or adapter should work with PSVR2, you don't need to buy Sony's adapter.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
...unless you factor in the pancake lenses that the Quest 3 uses vs the fresnel lens on PSVR, in which case I'd still take Quest 3 any day.
Sweet spot is not that hard to find and to me PSVR2 still wins by a landslide in gradient-heavy games like Alyx. I own both btw, maybe I'll make a short video comparison later this week.

Bry0

Its no lie.

NVIDIA-VirtualLink-768x432.jpg

Very few cards have this VirtualLink port though. So you will need the adaptor for the majority of cards. My 2080ti will work without Sony's adaptor.
Yes, I don’t know why people are so confused. If you have virtual link port on your gpu then it works with just that, no adapter needed. The thing is the virtual link standard never really took off much. Nvidia dropped it, AMD mostly did, and most AIB AMD and Nvidia cards dropped it in favor of another hdmi/displayport. When the psvr2 was in development there was probably still a belief virtual link would be common, but it’s not. Hence the adapter which does the same thing almost every other pcvr headset does out of the box like the index. Maybe people don’t realize it but USB C ports may all look the same, but their data/power capability depends on the standard being used, just like how every usba port may look the same but their transfer speeds are not.

While the quest can use a usbc cable, the quest is just getting a compressed data stream that is decoded on the headset like streaming a video file, the psvr2 is literally a display that needs a direct video feed like a monitor.

BlackTron

It's doubtful that Sony made VR2 with the intention for it to work on PC later, but I'll believe they were mindful not to destroy the option to finagle something later.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I am saying that the need for the adapter is a lie.

It’s not a lie when the majority might not have this option. People would cry again how bad Sony would be to only support GPU’s with virtual link.

My RTX 2080 Super also has Virtual Link so don’t need this adapter atm. But the moment i change it (next year) then i still need to buy the adapter separately.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It’s not a lie when the majority might not have this option. People would cry again how bad Sony would be to only support GPU’s with virtual link.

My RTX 2080 Super also has Virtual Link so don’t need this adapter atm. But the moment i change it (next year) then i still need to buy the adapter separately.
It's a lie if they don't say "adapter required if you don't have a card with Virtual Link port".

R6Rider

Gold Member
Quest 2 and 3 make up 56% of the total VR headsets used with Steam, according to the July 2024 Steam hardware surveys.
The only relevant statistic would be the number of Quest 2/3 users that use it on PC.

Let's say the Steam user count is 132 Million and the VR users equals roughly 2% of that number. That's about 2.6 Million users that use VR on Steam. Now based on the stats that 56% of those users are using a Quest 2 or 3 then that means about 1.5 Million. Combined Quest 2 and 3 sales are roughly 22 Million.

So roughly 6-7% of Quest users use it on PC (at least one time).

Last edited:
Top Bottom