• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitist1945

The Z5 and Z5 Premium are confirmed coming to Canada. USA is still unknown

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/04/xperia-z5-heading-to-canada-us-launch-looks-less-certain/

Z5_Canada.png

How credible is that Tweet? Doesn't look very professional to me.

That super reflective chrome model looks amazing but I know that if I buy it I'll be upset all the time over the microscratches and fingerprints.

zoku88

Z3 compact is boss as fuck. I feel sorry for American users, wish Sony actually released their phones there.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new compact.
You could order them online from Sony in the US.

People are unsure about the new phones because they closed the store down.

rambis

Banned
Damn. Sleek is an understatement, these look amazing.

i'm no phone wiz but are sony's phones generally better than samsung's lg's? if so, why are they failing so hard? are they just way more expensive?
Terrible mismanagement and poor brand recognition.

I know alot of people in the states don't even know Sony make phones. How can you brag on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram about your new Sony Xperia if nobody even knows what it is?

Wish these were an option in the US :/

I'll probably just order one through Sony's store or Amazon (assuming they're available through Amazon).

I ditched AT&T's phone subsidies awhile ago. My monthly bill is $60 cheaper, with the trade off of buying phones at full price, but that let's me get any unlocked GSM phone, including Sony's.

I'll probably just order one through Sony's store or Amazon (assuming they're available through Amazon).

I ditched AT&T's phone subsidies awhile ago. My monthly bill is $60 cheaper, with the trade off of buying phones at full price, but that let's me get any unlocked GSM phone, including Sony's.

T-Mobile has the best of both worlds, though, as they're basically giving you a no-interest loan, with the only real issue being that you're buying it at retail price (which you would be if you bought directly from Sony anyway).

Edit: And as it turns out, T-Mobile has said they aren't going to carry the line at all. Shit.

T-Mobile has the best of both worlds, though, as they're basically giving you a no-interest loan, with the only real issue being that you're buying it at retail price (which you would be if you bought directly from Sony anyway).

Edit: And as it turns out, T-Mobile has said they aren't going to carry the line at all. Shit.

Source for that? I was planning on switching to T-Mobile and getting the Z5C, but they won't pay my ETF if they don't carry the phone, as far I can tell...

Seems to be down to bad marketing. And bad business moves like not having more carriers having their phones. Or long delays in some countries, making them sort of obsolete when they finally launch.

I'm ready for a Z5 or a premium model. Hope my carrier here brings both. The question is whether I should just wait because Sony phones don't seem to see that well and sometimes there might be good deals. My Z1 is ready for retirement.
so why don't they put their phones on more carriers? what would they lose from doing that?

and...i barely ever see commercials for these things.
Part of it is not being on every carrier (a REALLY dumb move on Sony's part) and part of it is marketing. Samsung spent a TON of money on marketing to make the Galaxy series what it is, and Sony just doesn't want to make that sort of investment (if they even have the ability to).
marketing is a pretty imporant part...i don't know what they'd expect to happen without it.
They make the best phones that I've ever owned. So....no.
they also made arguably the best (and most powerful hands down, that ain't debatable) handheld console. So...even if they make the best, it isn't in their best interest to continue.
Agreed. They have no market share. I barely ever see the things.
thank you.
Replaced by who, Samsung or LG ? No thanks buddy !
umm...those are the two that have market shares. if there's gonna be any replacing, it's sony replacing them with some market share, and that doesn't seem like it's happening at all. it's just making them bleed.

Terrible mismanagement and poor brand recognition.

I know alot of people in the states don't even know Sony make phones. How can you brag on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram about your new Sony Xperia if nobody even knows what it is?
yeah, this definitely has something to do with it as well. sony's products used to be synonymous with quality and nowadays as far as androids go, that's what people perceive with samsung's phones.

Yeah, as far as I know no Sony phone for t-mobile this year at least.

Which is really annoying, as I was planning to choose between the Z5, the Moto X Pure, and the new Nexus, and there's a chance that none of them get officially sold by T-Mobile even though they will all work on the network just fine. Though the Nexus is likely, I don't know which one I'll want and if they'll carry both (and technically, they aren't selling the Nexus 6 new right now, just refurbished). Their payment plan basically amount to a no-interest loan of the MSRP, so I really wanted to do that instead of having to hunt for a good deal while paying the whole cost up front.

Edit: And the source on Sony/T-Mobile for me so far is this CNet article.

marketing is a pretty imporant part...i don't know what they'd expect to happen without it.

When I say a lot of money, I mean a whole lot of money. This chart shows you what it took to make the Galaxy brand what it is:

sai-cotd-113012.jpg

I'm not even sure that Sony has that much money to spend on marketing their phones at this point. And even if they did, it's too little too late at this point, as phones are basically a couple years away from a Vizio-type company coming in and controlling the Android market with low cost good enough phones (if that company isn't already around).

Maybe At&t got some exclusivity? What.. I can hope that it's coming to at&t. :/
Honestly it probably didnt sell too well. I didnt see many leaving my store. They had discontinued the Z3 6 month after it launch in T-Mobile. Then they brought it back. I guess T-mobile and Sony are in a rough patch relation.

Honestly it probably didnt sell too well. I didnt see many leaving my store. They had discontinued the Z3 6 month after it launch in T-Mobile. Then they brought it back. I guess T-mobile and Sony are in a rough patch relation.

I was so pissed about that, because I came in a couple months after they brought it back and it was gone again.

I was so pissed about that, because I came in a couple months after they brought it back and it was gone again.
Funny things is thats when customers were asking for it. When they had removed it. The Z3 is an excellent smartphone. It just had no chance without marketing in the states. I went back to mines from a G4 lol.

Funny things is thats when customers were asking for it. When they had removed it. The Z3 is an excellent smartphone. It just had no chance without marketing in the states. I went back to mines from a G4 lol.

The thing is that I'm a person who likes to a.) keep their old phones and repurpose them which means that I also like to b.) ride out the length of my contract. I wasn't going to get a new phone until I had finished paying this one off, which was in July. And by that point the phone was gone again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That stabilisation looks great, and seems to crop less (although the sensor is larger so that probably compensates). He Z3 software stabilisation is trash. Compression is bad, and it jerks all over the place when trying to work out if you're panning or not. But is that woman in yellow having to just stroll around a tiny fake garden just so people can shoot her with test phones?

Have their been any decent test photos uploaded yet?

Wow didn't know they stopped selling the Z3 on T-Mobile. That sucks, it's hard to find a waterproof phone that's also mostly stock (Nexus and Motorola don't make devices waterproof). International version will work, but don't know if it will include Band 12.

thenexus6

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-z5-compact-premium-report-640042/

Posted?

"Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo reportedly has a special variant of the Xperia Z5 Compact on the way, dubbed the Z5 Compact Premium. This model is said to offer the same Snapdragon 810 processor and overall looks over the Compact, but trades in the 2GB RAM for 4GB, and the 720p display for a 4.6-inch 1080p display. The battery is also upgraded to 2900 mAh. Interestingly enough, that means this model has even more RAM than the Xperia Z5 Premium, which seems like an odd choice."

When I say a lot of money, I mean a whole lot of money. This chart shows you what it took to make the Galaxy brand what it is:

sai-cotd-113012.jpg

I'm not even sure that Sony has that much money to spend on marketing their phones at this point. And even if they did, it's too little too late at this point, as phones are basically a couple years away from a Vizio-type company coming in and controlling the Android market with low cost good enough phones (if that company isn't already around).
damn, apple's been dominating half the phone market with that little amount of effort in marketing?

what do you mean with the vizio thing?

Fezan

Posted?

"Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo reportedly has a special variant of the Xperia Z5 Compact on the way, dubbed the Z5 Compact Premium. This model is said to offer the same Snapdragon 810 processor and overall looks over the Compact, but trades in the 2GB RAM for 4GB, and the 720p display for a 4.6-inch 1080p display. The battery is also upgraded to 2900 mAh. Interestingly enough, that means this model has even more RAM than the Xperia Z5 Premium, which seems like an odd choice."
Things like these annoy me about Sony. People are already paying 600 euro for compact. Make it 650 and people will still buy because there are no compromises and gladly pay more

damn, apple's been dominating half the phone market with that little amount of effort in marketing?

what do you mean with the vizio thing?

Vizio is basically dominating the TV market right now by selling low cost panels that are good enough for most people. Right now we're seeing a rise in phones that are below the normal $600-700 premium price point but still very good phones (OnePlus, the new Moto X Style, possibly the next 5" Nexus phone, etc). Basically, as technology gets faster and smaller, phones are going to turn into commodities like TVs and DVD/Blu-Ray players, and it's going to be primarily about who can sell a decent enough phone for the cheapest. Which is a game for Chinese and Korean companies, for the most part, not Sony.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Posted?

Ummm.... .... I'd buy that in a heartbeat, especially if it has the chrome finish of the full-size premium. 1080p on 4.6 is a damn high PPI. Plus that battery would probably last forever, and the specs are top notch.

What are the odds of this coming to fruition. I've never imported a phone before - would this work on AT&T in the USA? If so, I'd seriously considering purchasing it.

Nikodemos

Interesting that Sony have discovered through their market research that there's a demand for super-high end compact phones, at least in Japan. I guess there's some undercurrent of pushback against ever-increasing screen sizes.

Though I wish they didn't release x different very slightly different models yet again.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just wish the bezels at the top and bottom were a bit smaller, but the Zs have always looked quite good.

4K on such a small screen sounds ludicrous.

Nikodemos

Xperias' bezels actualy serve a function, namely they prevent the phones from having that disgusting back wart, also without having to curve the back (yet another trend I dislike). Notice how all of them are nice and flush.

Vizio is basically dominating the TV market right now by selling low cost panels that are good enough for most people. Right now we're seeing a rise in phones that are below the normal $600-700 premium price point but still very good phones (OnePlus, the new Moto X Style, possibly the next 5" Nexus phone, etc). Basically, as technology gets faster and smaller, phones are going to turn into commodities like TVs and DVD/Blu-Ray players, and it's going to be primarily about who can sell a decent enough phone for the cheapest. Which is a game for Chinese and Korean companies, for the most part, not Sony.
really? I was under the impression that samsung was also dominating televisions at this time as well. i'm quite unimpressed with vizio's televisions when compared side by side with samsung or sony. I think sony makes the best tvs still and I made a thread about it which gained absolutely no traction but I can't see the tv market turning into what you suggested. other people besides me can definitely tell vizio ain't as good as the others.

Wait, the Z4 is out?

As a Z1 owner this is both hilarious and depressing. My phone is just a couple years old and has already had half a dozen replacements. (how it feels)

I'm still not really interested in an upgrade, apart from wanting a slightly smaller device the main issues lie with software, not hardware.

really? I was under the impression that samsung was also dominating televisions at this time as well. i'm quite unimpressed with vizio's televisions when compared side by side with samsung or sony. I think sony makes the best tvs still and I made a thread about it which gained absolutely no traction but I can't see the tv market turning into what you suggested. other people besides me can definitely tell vizio ain't as good as the others.

Turns out you're right that Samsung has the majority of the TV market right now, but as far as in the US I'm fairly sure that Vizio is in second place (or at least was as of the end of 2013).

vivftp

Holy crap! It looks like Sony may have done a sizable price cut to these phones already:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-may-release-a-japan-only-z5-compact-premium/

On September 3, the Xperia Z5 line of phones was listed on Sony’s U.K. online store: 549 pounds (about $833) for the Z5 Compact, 599 pounds (about $909) for the Z5, and 699 pounds (about $1,060) for the Z5 Premium. The next day, those prices were knocked down to 429 pounds (about $651) for the Z5 Compact, 549 pounds (about $833) for the Z5, and 629 pounds (about $954) for the Z5 Premium, as observed by uSwitch.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom