• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

Cool. Now let us use the DS4 when using Vita remote play, too.

Should be no worse than most other streaming video.

If we they won't let us use DS4 with Vita remote play I'd be really temped to get this. I use the feature A LOT to play FFXIV while watching TV, but the lack of enough buttons makes some parts a little annoying.

Dragon

Banned
I'm interested in another tablet and wouldn't mind this new sony tablet with remote play.

Do I guys think:
1. Remote play will be any better than vita?
2. Better screen on tablet means better image quality? 1080p?
3. Can we get 60fps now or is this tied to the ps4 software?
4. Better connection since wifi chip in this tablet will probably be better than the one on vita?

I need to know these things. Lol

3. It's tied to the dedicated hardware chip in the PS4, doubt they'll be able to go higher.

SmokyDave

I wonder if it's possible to emulate Vita in today's high end smartphone. like if Sony announce PS1, PSP, and Vita games playable on xperia Z3 or Z4. Vita games compatibility takes a hit a little for games that use rear pad, but the rest will be playable.

that will truly kill Vita...probably...
I doubt that emulation is possible, but I bet retooling the games for smartphones would be fairly easy. The quad core in the Vita is apparently completely under-utilised.

If we they won't let us use DS4 with Vita remote play I'd be really temped to get this. I use the feature A LOT to play FFXIV while watching TV, but the lack of enough buttons makes some parts a little annoying.
You can use a DS4 with Vita RP, provided you're in range of the PS4.

While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

Its just as intensive as playing a video, so no worries! ;)

Might have slightly better performance only because the Z3 are more powerful. But it's only streaming video.

Image quality is dependant on the encode, which is currently only 720p30 on the PS4. No indication that'll change.
I thought it was at least 1080i on the vita tv. Still 30fps tho :(

So the ps4 is the bottleneck then?

Edit: nvmd. Thank you Dragon

I hope they add support for the Z2 because I just purchased it like a month or two ago and have no intention of changing anytime soon. The Z2 is so damn nice. And yes I'm in the too afraid to put my phone in the water despite it being waterproof crowd.

Radec

phpcbnqbeddj7s.jpg

That thing is giving me the middle finger.

Mung

I hope they add support for the Z2 because I just purchased it like a month or two ago and have no intention of changing anytime soon. The Z2 is so damn nice. And yes I'm in the too afraid to put my phone in the water despite it being waterproof crowd.

I agree. Just got a z2 3 months ago, but this is a feature I would really appreciate.

You can use a DS4 with Vita RP, provided you're in range of the PS4.

Really? How? Every time I turn on the controller I get this log in prompt asking me who's using it and then when I choose my account the remote play on the Vita shuts off. Do I have to enable it in settings or something?

A cool stand would make things a lot easier though, the Vita is quite bulky, but I can probably figure something out.

RulkezX

I wonder if it will be a hardware check in the existing app , or a new app all together, if the later it should just be an issue of side loading.

There isn't enough info out there just now to tell us if it's a hardware limitation stopping older (fucking lol) Xperias using it.

Really? How? Every time I turn on the controller I get this log in prompt asking me who's using it and then when I choose my account the remote play on the Vita shuts off. Do I have to enable it in settings or something?

A cool stand would make things a lot easier though, the Vita is quite bulky, but I can probably figure something out.

I'm pretty sure you have to login as a non primary account to do it, meaning no trophies etc.

SmokyDave

I believe, as I haven't had a chance to double check, that you just select 'second screen' instead of 'remote play' when you first boot up the Vita app.

I swagged one of these a while ago: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JKARZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RulkezX

I believe, as I haven't had a chance to double check, that you just select 'second screen' instead of 'remote play' when you first boot up the Vita app.

No , that is the equivalent of the companion app. It acts as the second screen like the PS app, not as a mirror or the tv.

DieH@rd

Banned
So how does the ds4 connect, Bluetooth? If so, is it from within the app or just through android?

Old Xperia phones supported OS-wide connectivity with DS3. I presume nothing will change now with DS4 support. Just a bluetooth handshake and then you can use DS4 for all Android games.

SmokyDave

No , that is the equivalent of the companion app. It acts as the second screen like the PS app, not as a mirror or the tv.
Ah, right. Not that then.

There's a method (link removed as site is banned - google for 'DS4 Vita Remote Play') that sounds fine, but I could've sworn there was a simpler way of doing it.

Chris R

Hope I can get this on my Nexus 5 somehow. It has a better batter life and wifi connection in my house than my Vita does :(

wait so my Z2 Tablet is useless ? that sucks lol

gonna wait for Z4 to make the jump from a Z1 since this isnt a priority to me but i would like to fiddle with it if i have the opportunity

Dinda

Yes! If the mount works well enough, this is could be pretty much exactly what i wanted (a big vita with all the buttons for remote play)
8” Xperia Tablet would be a perfect size!

DirtyLarry

My current position at work lets me test all sorts of tablets.
I have tried quite a few Android based tablets.
I personally opted for the Xperia Z2 for my own personal Android tablet.
It is a fantastic tablet, it truly is, but the inability to write to the micro SD card really hampers it overall. It is so damn frustrating as otherwise everything else about it is damn near perfect.
With that said, I work around the limitations of not being able to write to the Micro SD card, but seriously it would be pretty much the perfect Android tablet if I could do so.
It looks as if from the specs they have stayed consistent to the Xperia tablet experience, and now it will support PS4 Remote Play, so I can no doubt highly recommend this tablet, just with a very big asterisk of realize you cannot write to the Micro SD card.

Ploid 3.0

Well that makes me more interested in a Sony phone as my next one.

This is my thought too. I'm due for a new one and last week I cracked a small piece of my glass so I think I'll be getting one of these. I like it, I have no vita yet and wanted one solely for PS4 remote play. Good job sony!

Yes! If the mount works well enough, this is could be pretty much exactly what i wanted (a big vita with all the buttons for remote play)
8” Xperia Tablet would be a perfect size!

Oh, I didn't think about this. I also want a nice tablet. Ok if they have tablets working with this, a normal phone replacement for phone stuff, and a sony remote play compatible tablet will work :D.

Ah, right. Not that then.

There's a method (link removed as site is banned - google for 'DS4 Vita Remote Play') that sounds fine, but I could've sworn there was a simpler way of doing it.

I found an article showing how, but it require the vita and ps4 to have different account. so I had to reset my Vita to use my second account to play my ps4 games.

or I could play the ps4 games on my sub account and let my Vita stays at my main account, the downside is no trophies, and save file/game progression is tied to my sub account instead of my main account.

not really ideal in both cases

Vita games are also in lower resolution, not even 720p. isn't the hardware in Vita basically outdated smartphone hardware by now

Resolution doesn't matter if higher means it looks like a PS1 game, Bioshock on iOS:

GFCRvLq.jpg

Vita native res is good enough for a 5" screen, we were playing some PS3 games that were close to that res on 50" tv's last gen.

It is a fantastic tablet, it truly is, but the inability to write to the micro SD card really hampers it overall. It is so damn frustrating as otherwise everything else about it is damn near perfect.
With that said, I work around the limitations of not being able to write to the Micro SD card, but seriously it would be pretty much the perfect Android tablet if I could do so.
It looks as if from the specs they have stayed consistent to the Xperia tablet experience, and now it will support PS4 Remote Play, so I can no doubt highly recommend this tablet, just with a very big asterisk of realize you cannot write to the Micro SD card.

You can't put your files on the micro sd card? It works on my Z.

that's a change from Android introduced in KitKat I think (to me thats a pain in the ass too!). i think applying root can fix this if not flashing a custom ROM

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow, good move sony. Console + any android tablet should be the next move, or more brands. I guess the other brands won't care for this feature or sony probably don't want the feature outside of their controlled products. Well whatever, Sony have tablets that work so that's a start. Don't fight mobile, invite them.

Old Xperia phones and tablets will most surely also get official RP support, and knowing android community, someone will rip it out and make it available for use on all android devices.

MrMephistoX

Wow MS needs to get on this with Nokia I would seriously buy a Windows phone over an iphone 6 for this...not as tempted by android since I have a vita.

SmokyDave

I found an article showing how, but it require the vita and ps4 to have different account. so I had to reset my Vita to use my second account to play my ps4 games.

or I could play the ps4 games on my sub account and let my Vita stays at my main account, the downside is no trophies, and save file/game progression is tied to my sub account instead of my main account.

not really ideal in both cases
That's the article. Sounds like a right pain in the arse, but apparently works. I could've sworn there was an easier way to do it, but it seems I was mistaken.

^^youll be surprised how weightless this tablets are, my 10 inch one blew me away when i held it for the first time (very thin as well).

then again my standard at that time was my first and last tablet an asus transformer 300 lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This compact is 270g ... which is actually about the same weight as a Vita. So if you duct tape a Vita to your DS4 you might get an idea of how that kind of weight feels hanging off the top of a DS4 :p

cnorwood

Banned
Oh i thought you were going to have to use the screen, Its already hard with the vita sometimes I couldnt imagine having no buttons

lol holy fuck this looks kinda top heavy. waiting for the pics of a 40" LCD mounted on the controller now

Z3 tablet compact weight at 270gr, dualshock 4 controller is at 210g. no idea about the mounts.

nvidia shield is supposedly at 579 gr. just for comparison of controller + screen gaming device.

Top Bottom