• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

Mihos

Gold Member
I am loving the Shield tablet for playing my steam games in weird places. I might look at the Sony phone to do the same for the PS4.

spwolf

My current position at work lets me test all sorts of tablets.
I have tried quite a few Android based tablets.
I personally opted for the Xperia Z2 for my own personal Android tablet.
It is a fantastic tablet, it truly is, but the inability to write to the micro SD card really hampers it overall. It is so damn frustrating as otherwise everything else about it is damn near perfect.
With that said, I work around the limitations of not being able to write to the Micro SD card, but seriously it would be pretty much the perfect Android tablet if I could do so.
It looks as if from the specs they have stayed consistent to the Xperia tablet experience, and now it will support PS4 Remote Play, so I can no doubt highly recommend this tablet, just with a very big asterisk of realize you cannot write to the Micro SD card.

Actually, with Sony's 4.4.4 Kitkat, you can write apps to MicroSD now... They updated some Z phones so far, not sure which exactly.

If Sony could add native Vita games to the Z3 tablet I'd buy it day one! Even if I had to buy everything digitally. Plus remote play with an actual ps4 controller sounds awesome.

I enjoy remote play on vita now, but let's be honest, it only works well for certain genres because of controls.

Actually, with Sony's 4.4.4 Kitkat, you can write apps to MicroSD now... They updated some Z phones so far, not sure which exactly.

oh, i see after i posted it got me thinking that i can save my pictures directly to the SD(camera) and do other stuff on my cellphone.

however, the Xperia Z2 Tablet is only on 4.4.2. sony released a small update last week but that didnt fix it or i havent tested it again(will try today)

edit:
Z1 phone
This isn't exactly true, none of the high-end phones in the Z-line has gotten any sdcard move support. Only the low-mid phones got it some months ago because their internal memory was too low

LQBplsX.png

i dont get it why i can store my pictures directly taken to the SD card then. well, i guess is time to custom rom both devices

Gameboy415

spwolf

oh, i see after i posted it got me thinking that i can save my pictures directly to the SD(camera) and do other stuff on my cellphone.

however, the Xperia Z2 Tablet is only on 4.4.2. sony released a small update last week but that didnt fix it or i havent tested it again(will try today)

not everything got 4.4.4 yet... they just started 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 last month I think... this is very new feature.

And of course, save movies/pics to SD! Thats what takes up most of my space.

JCizzle

The tablet with mount intrigues me, possibly enough to replace my Vita. Just depends if we're talking $300 or $500.

Olli128

Damn I've got the original Xperia Z tablet and Phone, hopefully I'll be able to sideload the remote play app somehow... otherwise I'm gonna be very tempted to upgrade.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
And here I was saving money to get myself the Xperia Z2......

Oh well I guess I can wait a few more months to get the Xperia Z3.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
only had my Z2 3 months :(
Me too but given that the Z3 only has a 2.5ghz vs 2.3ghz as the only difference between the Z2(plus the Z3 has a smaller Battery)
I think it'll just be an update which will likely come shortly after or even before.

Haxxona

Banned
This isn't exactly true, none of the high-end phones in the Z-line has gotten any sdcard move support. Only the low-mid phones got it some months ago because their internal memory was too low

Haxxona

Banned
I tried mounting my Nexus 7 to the DS3 with the gameklip but I find it too top heavy to be comfortable.
Yeah I cant see myself playing a game like that. The better option would be the docking station and then play it separately because this just looks cumbersome

molnizzle

I tried mounting my Nexus 7 to the DS3 with the gameklip but I find it too top heavy to be comfortable.

I do all of my remote playing in bed, with my Vita/GamePad resting on a little chest pillow. This will be amaaaaazing for that.

Now someone needs to figure out how to get Steam in-home streaming working on that tablet and I'll order in a heartbeat. I'm a diehard Apple fan too.

omg HYPE

EDIT: holy shit 802.11ac too!@ NO MORE REMOTE PLAY LAG.

AAHHHHHHHHHGHHHH

/rant on

It is truly the end of the road for Vita with:

- no upcoming 1st party games announced
- most of upcoming 3rd party titles being also available on PS3/ PS4
- the rest being 2 year old ports of PS3 titles
- the remote play feature (one of PS4+Vita combo selling points) being available on Sony's smartphones now

This sucks :(

/rant off

molnizzle

/rant on

It is truly the end of the road for Vita with:

- no upcoming 1st party games announced
- most of upcoming 3rd party titles being also available on PS3/ PS4
- the rest being 2 year old ports of PS3 titles
- the remote play feature (one of PS4+Vita combo selling points) being available on Sony's smartphones now

This sucks :(

/rant off

hey bro fuck the Vita

I'm trying to remote play with real shoulder buttons over here.

GobFather

I do all of my remote playing in bed, with my Vita/GamePad resting on a little chest pillow. This will be amaaaaazing for that.

Now someone needs to figure out how to get Steam in-home streaming working on that tablet and I'll order in a heartbeat. I'm a diehard Apple fan too.

omg HYPE

AAHHHHHHHHHGHHHH

not too familiar with this, is this good? *thanks!

RulkezX

The only legit question.

Sony batteries tend to empty themself within hours. Samsung has twice the amount of batteryduration.

Remote play for less than 2-3h isnt worth the trouble.

The battery on teh Z2 is God Tier, and the Z3 is meant to have 50% longer battery time.

RP is only streaming video , no real reason to think it will be a huge drain on the battery.

technically any android and iOS device can do this, i find it really stupid that they won't be updating their current and older phones to be able to use these features.

suedester

Banned
technically any android and iOS device can do this, i find it really stupid that they won't be updating their current and older phones to be able to use these features.

I give it two days before some clever chap on XDA gets this working on other android devices. iOS is shit out of luck though.

Since we're talking numbers

Nvidia Shield (5' screen): 579g
Wii U GamePad (6.2' screen): 491g
Xperia Z3 Tablet (8' screen): 270g (480g + DS4)
Xperia Z3 (5.2' screen): 163g (373g + DS4)
Xperia Z3 Compact (4.6 screen): 129g (339g + DS4)
3DS XL: 336g
2DS: 260g
Vita 1000 (5' screen): 260g
3DS: 235g
Vita 2000 (5' screen): 219g
DualShock 4: 210g

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I give it two days before some clever chap on XDA gets this working on other android devices. iOS is shit out of luck though.
That could work....unless Sony has some type of authentication system in the Network that identifies if a non Xperia Z3 is attempting to remote play.

Now that I think about it I expect the PlayStation Now service to come to this Phone once the service gets out of Beta.

suedester

Banned
That could work....unless Sony has some type of authentication system in the Network that identifies if a non Xperia Z3 is attempting to remote play.

Now that I think about it I expect the PlayStation Now service to come to this Phone once the service gets out of Beta.

You could get PlayStation mobile working on uncertified devices by flashing a few certificates. Maybe it will be similar.

Any news about the price of the tablet?

Im very intrigue.

£329 in the UK.

Daante

Hmm.. so like..

If steam in home streaming would work aswell on this 8" tablet, together with the Dualshock 4 support.......

8" Tablet that can:

1. PS4 remote play in 1080p with DS4.
2. Steam in home streaming in 1080p with DS4
3. Tablet has good battery life when using remote play or steam in home streaming
4. Tablet has all the common bells and whistles in terms of surf the web etc
5. Profit?
6. My new handheld console

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That is fucking awesome. I'm wayyyy more likely to use this than remote play with the Vita.

Xion_Stellar

You could get PlayStation mobile working on uncertified devices by flashing a few certificates. Maybe it will be similar.
I guess we will just have to wait and see but given how Sony is going out of their way to lock down this feature on the Z3 instead of updating their previous models I don't see Sony giving up this exclusivity without some sort of precautions.

RulkezX

I guess we will just have to wait and see but given how Sony is going out of their way to lock down this feature on the Z3 instead of updating their previous models I don't see Sony giving up this exclusivity without some sort of precautions.

Looking at the specs it makes zero sense for this to be locked to the Z3 within the Xperia line. It's either coming to the rest of the line and it's just being marketed this way because the Z3 is the new flagship phone , or this is 100 different kinds of bullshit from Sony.

It's strange no one seems to have even asked them about this.

TheChaos0

omg HYPE

AAHHHHHHHHHGHHHH

Doesn't improve the "lag" as much as you think. b/g has enough bandwidth as it is.

Xion_Stellar

Looking at the specs it makes zero sense for this to be locked to the Z3 within the Xperia line. It's either coming to the rest of the line and it's just being marketed this way because the Z3 is the new flagship phone , or this is 100 different kinds of bullshit from Sony.

It's strange no one seems to have even asked them about this.
I was thinking the same thing were they could at least update the Z2 that just came here in the US back in July but whatever there's nothing neither you or I can do about that and Sony does need a hook or feature to sell this new model in November.

Top Bottom