• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

SerTapTap

Hmm.. so like..

If steam in home streaming would work aswell on this 8" tablet, together with the Dualshock 4 support.......

8" Tablet that can:

1. PS4 remote play in 1080p with DS4.
2. Steam in home streaming in 1080p with DS4
3. Tablet has good battery life when using remote play or steam in home streaming
4. Tablet has all the common bells and whistles in terms of surf the web etc
5. Profit?
6. My new handheld console

I doubt it will remote play at 1080p, pretty sure all PS4 streaming is limited to 720p because of the hardware streaming chip

Tetranet

and plugged into a fast internet connection.

What does this have to do with anything when the connection between the devices is through the internal network?

Anyway, it's a cool additional functionality. It's the first type of game streaming Sony offers, console to handheld device. I imagine their solution will be implemented for the eventual PSNow as well.

Can someone clear this up for me, can the tablet be used with remote play from any location as long as it is connected to WiFi?

Haxxona

Banned
Looking at the specs it makes zero sense for this to be locked to the Z3 within the Xperia line. It's either coming to the rest of the line and it's just being marketed this way because the Z3 is the new flagship phone , or this is 100 different kinds of bullshit from Sony.

It's strange no one seems to have even asked them about this.
I am going to go ballistics if my Z2 and Z2 tablet doesn't get this because that will really be some big freaking BS from their side.
I paid 850$ on 1 May and 650$ on 15 July for two super new high-end devices that almost has nothing different than the Z3-line.

And hey I am asking them for this and a bunch od others on XDA is too

leehom

I am going to go ballistics if my Z2 and Z2 tablet doesn't get this because that will really be some big freaking BS from their side.
I paid 850$ on 1 May and 650$ on 15 July for two super new high-end devices that almost has nothing different than the Z3-line.

And hey I am asking them for this and a bunch od others on XDA is too

I looked up the specs and I don't see much differences between the z2 and z3?

RulkezX

I looked up the specs and I don't see much differences between the z2 and z3?

There isn't , it's a pretty minimal power increase.

If I had to guess I'd think it will come to more Xperia family devices, it will just be marketed beside the Z3 because it's the Flagship device now.

DirtyLarry

Actually, with Sony's 4.4.4 Kitkat, you can write apps to MicroSD now... They updated some Z phones so far, not sure which exactly.
That is great news, hopefully this update gets to the Z2 Tablet ASAP.

And just to clarify this is what I meant, apps were not allowed to write to the MicroSD, I can put files on their no issue and apps could read those files, but for example if I was using MoonReader+ and wanted to change a title of a book or the cover, or even put a bookmark, I could not do so as there was no write access to the MicroSD card for apps.

So with this change especially, I can personally say the Z2 is among the best Android tablet I have used and I have used quite a few.

Holy crap, both of these are great. I'm still on the fence about getting the Z3 phone because I'm already used to the size of my Moto G and was planning on getting whatever motorola's next flagship will be or nexus because I like stock android a lot. But man...this sure is a game changer.

A month old Z2 user here...
Knew they were gonna drop a new flagship around this time but didn't know they'd drop this feature with it...

Hope they 'officially' bring it to Z2 as Z3 is identical in specs except the processor.

Well I'll buy a vita soon anyway so...meh

hesido

I'm wondering if 60fps streaming will ever be possible, that the 30fps lock is a set limit of the encoding hardware. I seriously hope this is not the case!

For 30fps games, remote play is ideal as the experience is very similar, but I can't play the game knowing I'd be discarding half of the frames. (I use remote-play specifically at home when the TV is occupied.)

Also, is pairing Vita with DS4 possible? Games that use L2/R2 extensively and those games that require precise analog input is sub-optimal with Vita's own control scheme.

Are these phone heavy with sony's own apps? just wondering..

Z2 isn't actually heavy, well, it primarily depends on your preference and definition of being heavy, I actually completely love the weight as before I was a Samsung owner and the plastic crap made the phone felt...rubbish.

The weight of Z2 and the look feels premium.

EDIT: are you talking about Usage and performance?

Frazley

As tempting as this might be, I am fine with my Vita for remote play. At the price it is I can't justify getting this tablet when my iPad works fine for me. Sony, release iOS version!

catmincer

Are these phone heavy with sony's own apps? just wondering..

There's Sony apps for gallery, music and movies.

Movies sucks so I use mxplayer.
Gallery is better than the stock one imo so I happily use it.
Walkman is great, has heaps of features and you can apply addons.

Apart from that the ui is pretty similar to stock, fast and efficient. There is very little clutter and gimmicks.

There's Sony apps for gallery, music and movies.

Movies sucks so I use mxplayer.
Gallery is better than the stock one imo so I happily use it.
Walkman is great, has heaps of features and you can apply addons.

Apart from that the ui is pretty similar to stock, fast and efficient. There is very little clutter and gimmicks.

Z2 isn't actually heavy, well, it primarily depends on your preference and definition of being heavy, I actually completely love the weight as before I was a Samsung owner and the plastic crap made the phone felt...rubbish.

The weight of Z2 and the look feels premium.

EDIT: are you talking about Usage and performance?

Yup usage and performance, thanks a lot to the both of you.

Arukado

phpcbnqbeddj7s.jpg

And yet, Sony doesn't allow us to turn off the goddamn led.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
They already mentioned that's not possible on the PS4 because of the PS Eye Camera motion tracking in conjunction with the VR Headset Morpheus.

Ohh.. looks like they're making a Z3 mini as well which is 4.6 and has the exact same specs as the regular Z3... thats the size I'm used to!

Ryne

Waiting for this to be released so I can finally upgrade from my Xperia S. Not sure if I'll play any PS games on it as it does look kinda awkward.

plainr_

This is the best news I've heard all week.

But I know I'm going to be disappointed when I find out the Z3 won't be coming to AT&T US. :(

molnizzle

I assume you have your PS4 hooked up with a cable?

Of course, I'm not an animal.

Doesn't improve the "lag" as much as you think. b/g has enough bandwidth as it is.

Oh yes the fuck it does!

Steam home streaming = fucking flawless from my wired PC to my MacBook Air on 802.11ac. Perfect 1080p/60s feed with no skips, no stutters, no losing connection for a second every so often and no perceptible input lag (using a 360 controller). Fucking amazing.

Vita remote play = fairly solid, but with noticeable hitching every now and then. Loses video feed randomly and then gets it back after a few seconds. Frequently displays noticeable compression artifacts even when it's working smoothly. This is obviously when using WiFi to facilitate the remote play. Direct connection is nearly unusable from my bedroom.

Wii U GamePad = doesn't work at all in my bedroom. Too far away from my media center. I bought a second Wii U power brick so I can quickly move the thing to my nightstand, but it's enough of a hassle that I hardly ever do it.

The WiFi adapter in the Vita is a real piece of shit. 802.11ac means this tablet will be using a premium adapter. The bandwidth gains are nice too, but that's not even what excites me most about this tablet having 802.11ac.

It also looks like you can use Nvidia's home streaming tech on any Android device with the help of a third-party app. Fucking shit, one device to handle remote play for both my PS4 and PC. Over 802.11ac, with a real controller. On an 8" full HD display with 13 hours of battery life.

I'm currently throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening.

vivftp

Sony, bring this feature to your VAIO laptops and I will buy it.

Doubtful since they're out of the VAIO PC business.

As for this feature, I've never been too excited about using remote play on my Vita due to having to remap buttons and all. This, however, is pretty damned exciting. As I have my Xperia Z Ultra I won't be picking up any of these 3 devices, but I'm hoping to see a new bigarse phone from Sony next year, and no doubt it'll have this feature too.

When they finally let Sony make a Nexus, I'll snap it right up. Until then, though, I guess I'll just Remote Play with Vita and (soon) PS TV.

TYRiAX

This is the next step towards the xperia-vita!

They just need to make PSPGO style slide down controls that don't suck

Shancake

This should work fine with a Vita right? You can play PS4 games on the Vita with a Dualshock 4. You just have to tap the screen every 10 minutes?

jonnyp

They already mentioned that's not possible on the PS4 because of the PS Eye Camera motion tracking in conjunction with the VR Headset Morpheus.

I don't see how this is a problem. That's just a software programming thing where the LED will automatically light if needed by a game or an application. Silly excuse by Sony.

I don't see how this is a problem. That's just a software programming thing where the LED will automatically light if needed by a game or an application. Silly excuse by Sony.

The real answer is because the don't want to and because it doesn't use up anywhere near as much battery as most people here think it does.

If they've fixed the Z line ups self-cracking screen issues, I'm in. I so badly wanted a Z1, Z1 compact or Z2, but they all have the god damn problem. I really like Sony phones, but I'm not taking the $400+ gamble when they are awful with their warranty and the line up has known faults.

Putting it on "dim" already saves 50 minutes of battery life, according to tests I've read. I bet turning it off wouldn't save too much more, it's already almost off completely.
It's the really good rumble and bluetooth which eats up the battery life. I'd prefer they did what Microsoft done, and make it "wired mode" when plugged in, instead of turning off the LED completely.

Ah man, I've just picked up the OnePlus One and now I want one of there, yet I'm not even sure WHY I want one, I already have the Vita for remote play..... I guess I could pick up the Z3 compact tablet.

ksdixon

Well... there goes my need for a new VITA SKU (or a 'shell' around it) with L1/L2 buttons and clickable L3/R3 sticks.

And... I guess there goes my interest in a PS(VITA)TV (which pairs with a Dual Shock 3, not the DS4 like this Xperia Remote Play does).

Seems like Sony is taking a shit on all things Vita with this news.

SmokyDave

Seems like Sony is taking a shit on all things Vita with this news.
I don't think that's the case. Although there are no doubt a handful of people that solely wanted a Vita for remote play but haven't bought one yet, they're in no way a significant market.

The Vita is what it is. People that want one will buy one (or have bought one), people that don't, won't. The only thing that could seriously disrupt the tiny Vita market would be an even sexier Vita 2.

Arukado

Putting it on "dim" already saves 50 minutes of battery life, according to tests I've read. I bet turning it off wouldn't save too much more, it's already almost off completely.
My problem is not the battery, is the light. I play mostly at night, and even with the dim option is like playing with a flashlight in my hands, which is very annoying.
You realize that the part of the device that holds the phone looks like its flipping the middle finger, right? That's clearly a message from Sony.
It clearly is, isn't it? I'm considering buying the adapter just to cover the led's light.

ksdixon

The vita tv been patched to support the ds4 for months now.

Ah right, that's good news. I guess it breaks down like this for me now, then:

- Xperia Play configured to use my USA account for uncensored gore and cheaper prices, for portable Remote Play.

- PS TV configured to use my USA account for uncensored gore and cheaper prices, for Remote Play on upstairs TV.

- PSVita re-configured to my main UK account for those stockpiled PS+ Vita games.

Fitts

This is cool, but I'm so ready to ditch manufacturer/carrier customization and move on to a Nexus handset. (especially if the screen on the 6 will be the rumored 5.8") Receiving timely updates is absolutely essential for a good user experience. With my current handset, Hangouts (an app I use more than any other) was broken for a while until I was updated to 4.4. There's no way I'm putting up with that again if I don't have to.

EDIT: If Sony commits to a rigid upgrading scheme for their phones then I would consider a Z3. I'm sure it will be a high quality handset.

"Z3 Compact doesn't have the same design as Z3 itself."

Why,Sony,why?

Z3 looks perfectly sexy this time, and Z3c is the perfect sweet spot in size, but the design isn't as elegant as the actual Z3!?

Haxxona

Banned
oh, i see after i posted it got me thinking that i can save my pictures directly to the SD(camera) and do other stuff on my cellphone.

however, the Xperia Z2 Tablet is only on 4.4.2. sony released a small update last week but that didnt fix it or i havent tested it again(will try today)

edit:
Z1 phone

i dont get it why i can store my pictures directly taken to the SD card then. well, i guess is time to custom rom both devices
Only sandboxed apps from Google and the manufacturers can get access to the sd Card - without rooting the phone of course.
Solid explorer for example needs root on the Z phones if you want to have write permissions

Top Bottom