• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hope this comes to the Z1 Compact, because I'm not upgrading to a bigger phone any time soon.

How is 4.6" compact?

Mindwipe

Only sandboxed apps from Google and the manufacturers can get access to the sd Card - without rooting the phone of course.
Solid explorer for example needs root on the Z phones if you want to have write permissions

Yup, Google's fault, and only Google can really fix it.

It should not be a system level permission. It should be a defined user permission, and users should be able to refuse app permissions.

Android's security architecture at the moment is awful at this.

Ahzrei

Banned
Yeah, but can it do VR?

I already have a Vita, so the Note 4 is probably going to win out on this one for me.

Lionheart

Hope this comes to the Z1 Compact, because I'm not upgrading to a bigger phone any time soon.

How is 4.6" compact?
The actual phone size has practically stayed the same from Z1 Compact to Z3 Compact, only the screen size has been increased.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The actual phone size has practically stayed the same from Z1 Compact to Z3 Compact, only the screen size has been increased.

They have put larger screen in the same body of Z1C.
You guys are right - sites looks to be saying it's the same size despite the bezel looking to be about the same. My phone future is saved - someone out there is still making devices for me.

spwolf

You guys are right - sites looks to be saying it's the same size despite the bezel looking to be about the same. My phone future is saved - someone out there is still making devices for me.

It is a bit thinner and lighter actually... So smaller really and noticably so :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It is a bit thinner and lighter actually... So smaller really and noticably so :)
Well, I wouldn't really call 1mm noticeable but it's really nice that they're keeping the same form factor. I hope they never increase the Compact lineup's size, because they're the only ones that fit in my pockets. :-\

kinda want Z3compact... but, how well will remote play work on that small screen. can you even read text from some games that have small font

molnizzle

kinda want Z3compact... but, how well will remote play work on that small screen. can you even read text from some games that have small font

No, not at all.

That's the main reason I want the tablet rather than the phone. The Vita's screen is already way too small. Good luck reading Diablo III item stats on a Vita (or this phone).

spwolf

Well, I wouldn't really call 1mm noticeable but it's really nice that they're keeping the same form factor. I hope they never increase the Compact lineup's size, because they're the only ones that fit in my pockets. :-\

Yes, I also found it funny that Verge thinks 1cm is 1mm :). I assume you read it there since they wrote something like that.

It is actually substantially thinner - 9mm and slightly lighter (9g). Despite bigger screen and more technology inside (including dual/stereo speakers, bigger battery). Not to mention that it now has glass back vs plastic before.

Another slap on the face to xperia owners, getting screwed by sony releasing new phone every 6 months with features that could easily make into previous models.

Kinan

Damn, want the Z3 compact so much now... Will wait for first reviews though, but it sounds like it was designed according to my wishes and tastes. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Another slap on the face to xperia owners, getting screwed by sony releasing new phone every 6 months with features that could easily make into previous models.

You can reasonably expect that Remote Play will be added to all popular Xperia phones, especially all Z models.

plainr_

Doubtful since they're out of the VAIO PC business.

As for this feature, I've never been too excited about using remote play on my Vita due to having to remap buttons and all. This, however, is pretty damned exciting. As I have my Xperia Z Ultra I won't be picking up any of these 3 devices, but I'm hoping to see a new bigarse phone from Sony next year, and no doubt it'll have this feature too.

lol damn. Forgot they dropped out.

Damn, want the Z3 compact so much now... Will wait for first reviews though, but it sounds like it was designed according to my wishes and tastes. :)

My partner has the Z1 compact and she loves it, although it only has a plastic rear and has gotten VERY scratched up. It seems they have included glass on the rear this time like the bigger models.

doby

My partner has the Z1 compact and she loves it, although it only has a plastic rear and has gotten VERY scratched up. It seems they have included glass on the rear this time like the bigger models.

Interestingly (or maybe not), the Japanese version of the Z1 Compact did have a glass back. You can easily buy the part online and swap it without much hassle.

BatmanX

Yep that's true and kinda pissed me off too, but sadly is what everbodys seems to do lately I'm talking about Samsung, Lg and Htc maybe just Google and Apple are somewhat different...

I knew skipping over the Z2 was the right choice with Sony's 6-month upgrade cycle.

*hugs his Z1*

With that being said, I'm torn on this, Z3c and Moto X.

Haxxona

Banned
Seems like Sony has a plan to feature the remote play option on more phones - I am looking at the formulation of there messages inside tha new playstation app.
Besides the remote play app will be released via Google PLay which often means in Sony world that they are at least released to their other phones(reqs are required)

The app is already ported over on my other favourite forum - XDA

z3mgmok8ynfxzvmfg.jpg

11d1ztnk7c4kblsfg.jpg

spwolf

I knew skipping over the Z2 was the right choice with Sony's 6-month upgrade cycle.

*hugs his Z1*

With that being said, I'm torn on this, Z3c and Moto X.

Z3C is a lot smaller... It is my next phone most likely but if you are going to be buying it due to Remote Play, probably better off with larger screen on Z3.

Z3C is a lot smaller... It is my next phone most likely but if you are going to be buying it due to Remote Play, probably better off with larger screen on Z3.

I really like the new rounded frame design of the Z3... I thought that it was finally the perfected Z-design that the Z1/2 needed to be.

And to my disappointment, not only does the Z3c doesn't have that same rounded design, it's still a plastic frame instead of metal. =(

Z3c with the same design/frame as Z3 would've been the perfect phone. WHY SONY WHY!?

spwolf

I really like the new rounded frame design of the Z3... I thought that it was finally the perfected Z-design that the Z1/2 needed to be.

And to my disappointment, not only does the Z3c doesn't have that same rounded design, it's still a plastic frame instead of metal. =(

Z3c with the same design/frame as Z3 would've been the perfect phone. WHY SONY WHY!?

supposedly frame feels good and premium... both sides are glass now. Most hands-on reported it better than Z3.

RayMaker

Banned
It sucks that it is exclusive to sony phones.

I hope sony and MS make it compatible with all capable android phones.

supposedly frame feels good and premium... both sides are glass now. Most hands-on reported it better than Z3.

I don't mind the back-side being plastic ( glass back is over-rated in its premiumness ), but I really like the metal band.

But if it's truly better than Z3, then I may bite. Will need a real-life hands-on, obviously to get my fingerprints all over both phones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My Z2 weeps. Sony why

They are just leading with the Z3 as a new phone to get the news and maybe sell more of them. This should just be software and not even that taxing - I would expect sony to trickle this down their range pretty quickly.

Kinan

My wife tried the Z1 compact in a shop recently and it was somewhat too bulky for her. :/ I wonder if the 1mm thickness reduction will make a difference for how it will feel in a hand.

spwolf

My wife tried the Z1 compact in a shop recently and it was somewhat too bulky for her. :/ I wonder if the 1mm thickness reduction will make a difference for how it will feel in a hand.

i expect so... combination of 10% thinner, slightly lighter and rounded corners.

Elitist1945

Well this is no doubt going to be my next phone. Front facing speakers is the selling point for me - Remote Play is icing on the cake.

R1CHO

I’m pretty sure that every informed gamer out there perked their ears up when Sony came out with PS4 Remote Play for their Xperia Z3 lineup. For those not in the know, PS4 Remote Play is a unique feature that allows you to remotely play PlayStation 4 games on the device. Unfortunately, according to comment from a Sony representative, the company has “no intent to bring remote play to any device other than Xperia” – a disappointment for anyone wanting to try out the feature on their non-Xperia device. But don’t let this get you down however, as XDA Forum Member XperiaPlaystation has managed to port PS4 Remote Play over to any Android device.

The port is to be installed by flashing the provided ZIP package and installing the provided APK as a normal app plus a few extra steps in between such as wiping the cache and rebooting. The port will work only with devices running Android 4.0 or newer. Additionally, Xperia Z1 owners may have an additional step of changing the build.prop in order to get this up and running.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/4-4-4-stock-xperia-devices-ps4-remote-t2868092

thuway

The app might be ported, but I wonder if Sony has any sort of inherent "unique" software/technology that is exclusive to Z3/PS4 to make this work. Either way, this is a WIN for all of us Android owners out there :D.

REMOTE PLAY FOR EVERYONE!

Top Bottom