• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God |OT| Delicious Flat Curry on the Vita

Ken

ibmL4onanZRSyh.png

General Info
Title: Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
Genre: Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler
Platform: PlayStation Vita
Release Date: December 10, 2013 (NA), Early 2014 (EU), March 28, 2013 (JP)
Publisher: Aksys Games (NA), Rising Star Games (EU), Compile Heart (JP)
Developer: COMPILE HEART / Zerodiv
Editions: Standard ($39.99) and “Hot and Spicy, Everything Nicey Limited Edition” Set ($49.99).
Demo: Live on JP PSN.

Official Site

About
Sorcery Saga is a rogue-like dungeon crawler RPG where players take the role of Pupuru, a suspended student of the Magic Academy, who is on a journey to save her friend's restaurant from the new curry chain in town.
To accomplish this, Pupuru and her companion Kuu, a magical creature she stumbles upon, must fight through monster-filled dungeons in search of the ingredients to create the "Legendary Magic Curry."

Gameplay
  • Randomly generated, turn-based dungeons where every action Pupura makes causes her opponents to make one move as well.
  • Experience can be gained in dungeons but upon leaving, Pupuru's level returns to one making it essential to upgrade equipment.
  • Weapons and armor can be fused and evolved for improved stats.
  • Being defeated causes Pupuru to lose all her items and equipment, but if Kuu is alive Pupuru retains her gear.
  • Kuu is Pupuru's indepedent companion within dungeons, but requires feeding to keep him happy and strong. Fortunately he eats anything from Pupura's item bag.
  • Within dungeons Pupuru can cook her own curry using ingredients she finds. Curry can heal Pupuru or be fed to Kuu.
  • Artwork by 7th Dragon artist Mota. Localization only has Japanese voice acting.
Media

Official Trailer (minimal gameplay)
Playstation Vita Sei Madou Monogatari First Impressions by skyghene22 (off screen)
Opening Movie

Player Impressions
MiyukiKotobuki from GameFAQS said:
  • I've only "died" once, and that was against a boss fairly early on.
  • The game is fairly easy, provided you make use of Cu Sith's ability to fuse things together.
  • I basically was able to solo the entire game with a fully evolved weapon found on the first dungeon and a high def shield +47.
  • I'll be honest... the main storyline would probably take
    10-15
    hours tops.
  • The game has a lot of "ways" to keep you busy though (artificial game lengtheners) such as... a costume for your character for every dungeon sucessfully completed 15 times. Evolving all weapons and shields... Artifacts and spells that you can collect in each dungeon... etc... (each dungeon has their set artifacts and spells, so you can't get them all in one)
  • Also, after the first dungeon, you'll get Ku-chan to fight with you... it sounds awesome, but it really feels like a burden to me later on, since it sometimes wanders off... if it gets knocked out, you will not be able to proceed to the next floor without reviving it. (requires you to feed it anything in your bag)
  • It does have a little story development, you're off to find the ultimate curry ingredients to save your hometown's curry shop from the big corporate curry chain... There's not much to do in "town", it's just a series of menus to select, with a background relative to your menu selection.

Unfortunately, it isn't very good.

Impressions from this very thread! said:

Reviews

gamertell: B
I prefer to think that Sorcery Saga is just one of those games that chooses to focus on fun, rather than masochistic, roguelike punishment. It’s never too spicy for players, instead offering a savory, slow burn that any JRPG gourmand will enjoy.

im5WhihBiw3f1.jpg

RpgN

Localization only has Japanese voice acting

This pleases me. It was very good in the demo, it was unlikely that the English version would have been able to top it.

Dungeon "crawlers" aren't exactly my most favourite kind of gameplay.

But like many other Japanese video games of this type, I really can't resist the aesthetics.

I've also long been a fan of the Madou Monogatari series. It is nice to see it finally get a Western release. I miss the old female protagonist, Arle. But the new one is awfully cute.

Arle is an important and loveable mascot character. I hope that she doesn't stop being featured in games.

Elvick

Banned
I asked in the Vita thread, but I'll ask here too.

Does anyone in Canada know if you can preorder this anywhere? Only place is from a private seller from amazon.ca who's inflating the prices.

Shinriji

Azure Dreams was my "terrible game that I can't stop playing" from the PS1 era, so gonna grab Sorcery Saga eventually.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'll buy the eu version

I asked in the Vita thread, but I'll ask here too.

Does anyone in Canada know if you can preorder this anywhere? Only place is from a private seller from amazon.ca who's inflating the prices.
Have you tried videogame plus?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i have been looking for a Vita rogue like as ZHP failed to really grab me... but i think i'm going to have to keep looking :/

a shame, as the platform really needs one

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish we got import impressions.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Opinions make it seem like it isn't worth my time. I'll gladly take their word for it.

RpgN

has a CE been confirmed for Europe?

Nope. And I wouldn't expect it. Most limited edition versions of these niche games don't make their way over here.

Opinions make it seem like it isn't worth my time. I'll gladly take their word for it.

I wrote about my impressions of the demo version before. It's not the full version (so it's not representative most likely) but I was left enjoying the game. It didn't seem bad, but it wasn't amazing either. It seemed like a fun solid game that isn't trying to be the best thing ever.

Imported this earlier this year.

It's okay. The production quality is markedly lower than many other small budget drpgs and with a smaller amount of story content to boot. However, what it lacks in visuals, it makes up for in charming and hilarious VOs and scenarios. I remember likening it to a bad 80s kids movie.

The actually dungeon-running is simple and can be addictive, however it's too easy to make beelines for the exits. Game rarely outright punishes you for hasty play, like the Izuna games did. You can get caught up in a ton of extraneous stuff, but it only took me about 11 hours to clear the game.

Overall, it was worth the time, but I felt disappointed since I played this immediately after clearing Demon Gaze, which is seriously one of my GOTY contenders.

TxdoHawk

Weird theme, but man, I could go for a giant plate of Japanese-style curry right about now and...it's 9 am. There's officially something wrong with me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

If I said mine no one would have bought the game.

Besides those who are fans of Mota's artwork.

Nice to see an OT made for the title regardless though and hope some will find enjoyment with it. Though do hope for those peoples sake they fixed the crashes D:

cj_iwakura

If I said mine no one would have bought the game.

Well, you're entitled to do that. If it's bad, you should stop people from buying it.

I won't go into my usual tirade, but I do think there's more pressing titles we could have gotten from Aksys instead. :( (Fate/Extra CCC when)

Parakeetman

Well, you're entitled to do that. If it's bad, you should stop people from buying it.

I won't go into my usual tirade, but I do think there's more pressing titles we could have gotten from Aksys instead. :( (Fate/Extra CCC when)

D:

Its not that its so terrible that people should not play it, but those who are familiar with this type of dungeon crawling game design will be let down as how simplified it is. It was one of the major complaints by the Japanese players too. But the game is difficult enough still to be considered niche with how it kinda makes it hard for new people to get used to the game I suppose. Though I guess you could consider it a semi introduction to this type of game with this title.

Nothing was more heartbreaking for me with playing through the dungeon doing well then having a random crash kill that D:

Still though if one can put up with that at least the character art is well drawn and if it has the original JP voices it was fairly amusing from what I played through story wise. The main character is likeable too which helps a lot. And some of reactions "Kuu-chan" does are pretty amusing for a character that doesnt exactly speak lol

Elvick

Banned
D:

Its not that its so terrible that people should not play it, but those who are familiar with this type of dungeon crawling game design will be let down as how simplified it is. It was one of the major complaints by the Japanese players too. But the game is difficult enough still to be considered niche with how it kinda makes it hard for new people to get used to the game I suppose. Though I guess you could consider it a semi introduction to this type of game with this title.

Nothing was more heartbreaking for me with playing through the dungeon doing well then having a random crash kill that D:

Still though if one can put up with that at least the character art is well drawn and if it has the original JP voices it was fairly amusing from what I played through story wise. The main character is likeable too which helps a lot. And some of reactions "Kuu-chan" does are pretty amusing for a character that doesnt exactly speak lol
The simplification actually appeals to me.

The crashes worry me though.

Overall, it was worth the time, but I felt disappointed since I played this immediately after clearing Demon Gaze, which is seriously one of my GOTY contenders.

I'm glad to hear that Demon Gaze is a quality game. I am most excited for it out of everything announced for localization on the vita. How is the difficulty compared to Etrian Odyssey?

Parakeetman

The simplification actually appeals to me.

The crashes worry me though.

Problem its simplified a little too much personally as to makes it not as appealing to those who have experience with other related titles. For those not familiar though yeah am sure wont be an issue.

From what I recall only happened to me like 3 times I think. No idea what triggered it though. :/ Have not played since a week after launch in Japan so unsure if they did fix it with patches after that. Which I would hope they did.

I'm glad to hear that Demon Gaze is a quality game. I am most excited for it out of everything announced for localization on the vita. How is the difficulty compared to Etrian Odyssey?

Besides being a wizardry type of dungeon crawler Id say might want to not compare it to Etrian Odyssey, as it has its own ups and downs. But I can tell you its a pretty quality title that will challenge you and give you a good time with putting in a lot of hours if you are into that genre. Some of the things can make the standard battles a little easier like once you acquire enough of the demon summon abilities and special skills. But some of the boss fights dear god... esp one of the "optional" ones. Am not going to say what it is as hope it traumatizes all of you others who will be playing the game in the future also lol

If you deck yourself out good with upgraded weapons and get lucky with the special skills you can learn you can bowl through normal enemies pretty easy, though as usual grinding is necessary to meet the level of the encounters as you press on in the story. Dungeons are pretty large too. Nice that there is a voiced story to go along with it and has interesting characters. Do hope that they are making a 2nd game. Though the company behind it I do believe is busy working on another dungeon crawler called Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss which comes out Jan 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BG2NSHtMvs

---

Anyways back to the related topic of the game, had though the curry creation thing was an interesting addition and gives the player something else to do at times besides the constant killing / looting / getting killed lol While its nothing complex, its still a nice addition I suppose.

Tohsaka

And she is voiced by Ogura Yui. Just hearing her voice samples on the official site is already a greater pleasure than playing most games.

Yui Ogura is great. I'll be picking this up for sure next week, though I don't know when I'll get around to playing it since I have a backlog.

And she is voiced by Ogura Yui. Just hearing her voice samples on the official site is already a greater pleasure than playing most games.
You know, I think I like moe as much as I like video games.

So I feel very disheartened when people say that video games need less of it.

I like various forms of entertainment. But video games are my favourite, not because they're challenging, though challenges can be fun, too, and I enjoy many challenging games. But because they put music, animation, still art, 2D art, 3D art, and various other entertainment and art form together in an interactive medium. That I can enjoy them in more than one way. I love anime, but no matter how many times I watch an anime, it won't change. But a video game can change, and that's what makes it my favourite way to enjoy anime.

Which is why I love and want more aesthetics and other things I love in video games.
I enjoy the simple joys of good gameplay in a video game. Having the game interact with me in ways that are fun and enjoyable. I also like music and voices I enjoy to go along with good interaction. The simply joy of a cute voiced, cute character is a lot of fun, too.

Cute characters are a lot of fun. I don't know exactly what all reasons cute characters are so much fun to me and make me so happy. But they make me really happy. And that matters a lot and makes me want to buy things so I can experience it. If something makes me happy, that's the most important thing.

TheChaos0

Cute characters are a lot of fun. I don't know exactly what all reasons cute characters are so much fun to me and make me so happy. But they make me really happy. And that matters a lot and makes me want to buy things so I can experience it. If something makes me happy, that's the most important thing.

Cute stuff does not need a reason to make us happy. It just does.

Good to know this comes out in EU eventually. I may or may not pick this up later.

I'm still annoyed that they're doing this with the Madou Monogatari name.

And that it's the first time the series (if you can call this that) makes it to the English world.

I might get it on sale if I ever get a Vita because I'm a Japanese rougelike junkie, but I won't like it.

zroid

Banned
uh wow

I like to think I generally keep myself informed about games like these, but this one definitely slipped through the cracks

seems... interesting

zoku88

just finished guided fate paradox last week. I'll use this to fill my Japanese roguelike gap in my heart.

Cute stuff does not need a reason to make us happy. It just does.
I very much agree.

I think we have a lot in common. Glad to meet other users here on NeoGAF that appreciate cuteness.
I'm still annoyed that they're doing this with the Madou Monogatari name.
What reason is that?

Me, I personally miss Arle and her saga. Perhaps there were issues with SEGA over use of their character. To me, that's one of the more noticeably differences between this and other Madou Monogatari games.

Though I don't know for what other reasons people don't feel that the "Madou Monogatari" title is fitting for this game.

What reason is that?

Me, I personally miss Arle and her saga. Perhaps there were issues with SEGA over use of their character. To me, that's one of the more noticeably differences between this and other Madou Monogatari games.

Though I don't know for what other reasons people don't feel that the "Madou Monogatari" title is fitting for this game.
Principal, mostly. I've got a lot of love for the old Compile and their properties.

I'll reserve final judgement for after I play it (if I play it), but nothing about this seems to warrant use of the name other than IP exploitation.

Looks quirky and fun. What encourages people to release games exclusively on Vita? Like why? I have a Vita but the console is in awful shape right now.

Top Bottom