• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God |OT| Delicious Flat Curry on the Vita

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The special edition is ridculously stupid, but it's the same price as the normal version on newegg so why not, would look nice on the shelf I suppose. Though the early impressions have me leaning on cancelling my order.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The special edition is ridculously stupid, but it's the same price as the normal version on newegg so why not, would look nice on the shelf I suppose. Though the early impressions have me leaning on cancelling my order.

Buy the game because you want to not because of what other people say.

I was wary about it since compile heart is hit or miss, but did so due to am a fan of Mota the artist behind it. Didnt think much of the game itself, but I still have it on my shelf.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Looks quirky and fun. What encourages people to release games exclusively on Vita? Like why? I have a Vita but the console is in awful shape right now.
Games sell on the system anyway. Look at p4g, dragon's crown, blah blah blah. The vita is a viable platform for these small to middle end developers.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks quirky and fun. What encourages people to release games exclusively on Vita? Like why? I have a Vita but the console is in awful shape right now.

In Japan:
-despite the 3ds had 6.5 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 6.5 times more on the 3ds) ALL the 3ds/vita multis(that i remember) sold better on vita
-despite the ps3 had 4.5 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 4.5 times more on the ps3) many ps3/vita multis sold better on vita
-despite the wii had 6 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 6 times more on the wii) ALL the wii ports sold better on vita.

That's why.

For fanboys consoles sold>>>>>>>games sold.
For developers games sold>>>>>>>consoles sold.

Parakeetman

Games sell on the system anyway. Look at p4g, dragon's crown, blah blah blah. The vita is a viable platform for these small to middle end developers.

The truth of the matter is more and more of the PSP developers are moving over to the Vita platform seeing what it can do. Also how the PSP is slowly being phased out little by little. With how the Vita can run PSP titles too no problem, it also allows for them to continue making money on previous titles, while working on newer ones.

While am not sure of this myself, the smart move by Sony would also to be for any developer within Japan (since we are speaking domestically here) who has a contract with Sony for the PSP dev kits to get free Vita ones. (in terms of no upfront costs) So that it allows them to work with the new hardware and become more familiar with it making the move over easier and allowing for even more developers on the platform. Take the hit now, reap the benefits later.

Granted the situation is not the same, this is the exact situation the PSP went through when devs slowly started to figure it out better and appeared more and more on the system as they moved away from the PS2 as their main development platform. A large catalyst of course was the type of numbers publishers / devs saw get attached to the PSP from the portable monster hunter games.

In Japan:
-despite the 3ds had 6.5 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 6.5 times more on the 3ds) ALL the 3ds/vita multis(that i remember) sold better on vita
-despite the ps3 had 4.5 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 4.5 times more on the ps3) many ps3/vita multis sold better on vita
-despite the wii had 6 times the vita's userbase(so in theory on average a game should sell 6 times more on the wii) ALL the wii ports sold better on vita.

That's why.

For fanboys consoles sold>>>>>>>games sold.
For developers games sold>>>>>>>consoles sold.

That still doesn't explain why they bring them to the USA, where the console and the games barely sell, afaik.

Ken

got bored waiting for it to go up on psn

iDdFecuQF58iI.png
ibxmujWsi8ag7h.png

Ryuukan

Shipped an hour ago, will arrive tomorrow. Now I need a snow day to play it.

props to wario for the $5 off amazon

Amir0x

Banned
i love random dungeon RPGs where you lose your levels when you leave the dungeon

but the impressions in the OP don't seem to suggest it's very good :(

Parakeetman

i love random dungeon RPGs where you lose your levels when you leave the dungeon

but the impressions in the OP don't seem to suggest it's very good :(

Well to put it this way, its not as good as others out there. So unless you really like the art style or the developers, this is not exactly a title I personally would tell others who enjoy the genre to get... Is the most honest opinion I can give.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oh hey, Newegg raised the price to normalcy.
Sadly I have to wait a bit because I'm el-cheapo on the shipping.
Oh well, Finals and snuff.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered mine off Newegg due to the sale. I'm really hoping that UPS treats it with care since I hear Newegg is just as notorius as Amazon with using stupid bubble mailers for their LEs.
I emailed Newegg twice about it and they basically said "we can't control if it goes in a box or not, the mail carriers are responsible for treating it well." Incompetent packaging is resposinble, though?

...wish it was pre-orderable at GS. I never have an issue with crushed boxes there. Here's hoping UPS people don't sit on it.

Ken

First review I found from Google is from TechnologyTell giving the game a B (never heard of them though!).

GamerTell (B) said:
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God is one of those games where you come for the fantastically hilarious story, and stay because it’s probably the only roguelike you’ll ever be able to easily beat. If I hadn’t let myself die once, just to see what would happen if I did, Sorcery Saga would never have beaten me. It does offer some challenge, mostly in the form of the fickle Kuu, but also happens to be one of the most fair roguelikes I’ve ever played. As an example, I got through the second dungeon in one shot, using unaltered equipment I’d found in the Oboro Forest, all because I played smart. Perhaps I was just lucky, and found the right Character Theater items to unlock especially helpful spells. I prefer to think that Sorcery Saga is just one of those games that chooses to focus on fun, rather than masochistic, roguelike punishment. It’s never too spicy for players, instead offering a savory, slow burn that any JRPG gourmand will enjoy.

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/121321/sorcery-saga-curse-of-the-curry-god-review-savory/

Nope. And I wouldn't expect it. Most limited edition versions of these niche games don't make their way over here.

I wrote about my impressions of the demo version before. It's not the full version (so it's not representative most likely) but I was left enjoying the game. It didn't seem bad, but it wasn't amazing either. It seemed like a fun solid game that isn't trying to be the best thing ever.

That's rather disappointing, though RSG did do a ce for Hakuoki 3ds

Ryuukan

How do you mean?

$1 items/$3 bundles of things that you can equip just to change your char's look

Also that review is spot on about this part:
" I prefer to think that Sorcery Saga is just one of those games that chooses to focus on fun, rather than masochistic, roguelike punishment. "

I'm having way more fun with this than Fate Paradox. Like comparing eating ice cream vs razor blades

Ken

Oh man, scrolling forever through the DLC lol. Is there a one-and-done pack with everything?

Doing the first dungeon, my impressions of the game is that it's surprisingly okay!

Ken

I bought all the DLC costume packs so if anyone wants a screenshot of a specific one I can grab one. Packs come with 1 base costume and 2 palette swaps.

Ken

Can I ask what the total cost was for purchasing all of the costumes?

$14.95, $2.99 per pack (including the one for the head accessories which was pretty lame).

Boo I keep dying in Cero Forest lol. Anyone know how to get Kuu to obtain the crafting skill or is it completely random?

Rarutos

Hmm, does someone mind explaining weapon/shield synthesis a bit more? I don't quite understand how to keep powering up weapons. Like, are you able to fuse any two swords together and the one you want to make more powerful will level up? Or do they have to have those +1s or whatever to power up the weapon/shield?

For example, I had a Kite Shield +2, and I fused it with a Ladle +2 and it turned it into a Kite Shield +4. But if I upgraded the Kite Shield with another shield that didn't have +anything, would it not power up at all? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I understand the gist of it, I just feel like I need it explained to me so I could understand it a tad better!

Ken

Hmm, does someone mind explaining weapon/shield synthesis a bit more? I don't quite understand how to keep powering up weapons. Like, are you able to fuse any two swords together and the one you want to make more powerful will level up? Or do they have to have those +1s or whatever to power up the weapon/shield?

For example, I had a Kite Shield +2, and I fused it with a Ladle +2 and it turned it into a Kite Shield +4. But if I upgraded the Kite Shield with another shield that didn't have +anything, would it not power up at all? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I understand the gist of it, I just feel like I need it explained to me so I could understand it a tad better!

Yeah, if you fuse weapons that don't have a +n it won't get any levels. I thiiink you might get the seal from it if the primary weapon has the slot for it otherwise I've just been feeding Kuu weapons without a +n.

Rarutos

Yeah, if you fuse weapons that don't have a +n it won't get any levels. I thiiink you might get the seal from it if the primary weapon has the slot for it otherwise I've just been feeding Kuu weapons without a +n.

Alright, thanks a lot! What about the - weapons? Would those actually decrease power? That'd be sad if so!

Ken

Alright, thanks a lot! What about the - weapons? Would those actually decrease power? That'd be sad if so!

Probably! :O

I didn't want to try lol. Actually when you enhance it tells you the outcome so you can cancel the fuse if it did.

Elvick

Banned
Disappointed in Aksys for this game's release. Had to order it from the US, because they didn't have it listed on any of the Canadian retailers I checked.

So I had to pay more than I should have had to to get it. So annoying. Plus, it'll take forever to get through customs now.

That still doesn't explain why they bring them to the USA, where the console and the games barely sell, afaik.
Niche publishers have a very supportive following on PS Vita and just in general. It doesn't need to sell a million to be successful for them.

Rarutos

Probably! :O

I didn't want to try lol. Actually when you enhance it tells you the outcome so you can cancel the fuse if it did.

That's true! I forgot it did that for a sec. Thanks!!!

Also, is it true that you have to be connected to the internet to use the DLC or something? I got those free voice packs and I have no idea how to use them.

Ken

That's true! I forgot it did that for a sec. Thanks!!!

Also, is it true that you have to be connected to the internet to use the DLC or something? I got those free voice packs and I have no idea how to use them.

Apparently. There was a thread on GFAQs about it but I've always been by my wifi when I played so I haven't noticed. I think the voice packs say you can listen to them in your room but I haven't bothered searching for them yet.

Rarutos

Apparently. There was a thread on GFAQs about it but I've always been by my wifi when I played so I haven't noticed. I think the voice packs say you can listen to them in your room but I haven't bothered searching for them yet.

Yeah, I was looking for it but I couldn't find it! Oh well, maybe it'll pop up later!

I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with this game. I was kind of itching for a rogue-like. I could have played Guided Fate Paradox, but it's easier for me to play on a portable system at the moment anyway.

By the way, is there a way to upgrade shields like weapons do? o:

Ken

By the way, is there a way to upgrade shields like weapons do? o:

Yup! Same way.

BTW Did you find any armor? This importer on GFAQs keeps saying "weapon/armor" so I'm wondering if by armor he means shield or if there's actual armor in the game??

Rarutos

Yup! Same way.

BTW Did you find any armor? This importer on GFAQs keeps saying "weapon/armor" so I'm wondering if by armor he means shield or if there's actual armor in the game??

I assume he means shield! So do you upgrade shields just by attacking with the weapon or is there something I'm missing?

Nags

Banned
My LE came in yesterday from amazon with some creasing marks on one side of the box. It isn't terrible but my luck has been usually pretty good with getting stuff shipped.

Rarutos

No clue haha. I only just got my Pointy Spear upgraded to a Barbed Spear.

Yeah, I only upgraded my Weak Paw to a Medium Paw, which is why I was wondering about the shields!

Edit: Lol, just as I post that, my shield upgraded. Guess it is the same way!

Ken

this game is kind of hard and cruel lol. not much luck with weapon crafting. my barbed spear+2 got turned into pickled onions. :(

Top Bottom