• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God |OT| Delicious Flat Curry on the Vita

ibiCh63ytgfR4E.jpg

Got it today! Can't wait!

I just finished the Rock Hard Cave bad ok me joking the gane so far. But man, the story scenes have a boatload of dialog.

So how do I improve my items/weapons? Or have I not unlocked that ability yet?

Edit: figured it out, has to unlock a story sequence.

Tohsaka

Finished the game last night, my thoughts:

I really liked the artwork, music and voice acting (<3 Yui Ogura). The gameplay was pretty decent and the story was a good length, but I did have issues with some of the mechanics. Namely, the inventory management and lack of ability to warp back to the floor you left off in if you leave a dungeon. One of the trophies requires 100% item completion, which requires you to level up each of the 30 basic weapons and shields to their fifth forms. This wouldn't be much of an issue if you had a bigger inventory space, but with all the random crap and curry supplies you come across, space quickly becomes an issue, or at least it did for me. If you could choose which skills Kuu learned (he hardly ever got Crafting Smarts for me...), it wouldn't be as bad.

The fact that you have to start from the beginning of the dungeon if you warp out is the other big problem I had. Why are there so many escape wards in the later dungeons when you're going to have to start from the first floor again if you go back to town? Pupuru even mentions several times how they should head back to town, but I pretty much never did because I didn't want to start over. I can understand starting over if you die or choose to give up from the menu, but the escape wards seem pointless. This becomes even more of an issue in the post-game dungeon, which has
floors. I wanted to platinum the game since I enjoyed it overall, but I don't know if I'm going to bother due to the grinding required. It wouldn't be hard, but due to the things I mentioned and the fact that skill book drops are random (you need to master all of them), I think I'd just end up frustrated.

Rarutos

The "start from the beginning of the dungeon if you leave" thing is kind of a traditional roguelike/Mystery Dungeon thing as far as I know. Most similar games are going to be like that, and all the ones I've played have been.

Sera O

Banned
I just started playing this during my time off and it's pretty decent. Kind of a shiny happy roguelike. I like it more than I expected to from reading impressions.

I had no idea about using secret scrolls for upgrades! I think I've just fed them all to Kuu.

Is there a situation where SMASH scroll is useful? That one either reduces money to 0 or KOs Kuu if he eats it. I hesitate to experiment with items in this game after I accidentally suicided with the curry bomb.

Sera O

Banned
Oh my god. I was in the sky palace on floor 60-something and a cutscene froze my game. Noooooooo!

I think I'd fully evolved 3 sets of weapons, and Kuu had Eye of God, Crafting Smarts and Kuushi case...

I don't think I can go back to this game after that, I'm just so demoralized. That kind of crashing is brutal in this kind of game.

So is this sort of what all those "otaku games" on the PSP and Vita are like? Ten minutes of platitudinous gameplay followed by forty minutes of excruciating dialogue from irritating characters talking about nothing interesting with the most suicide inducing, put-on voice acting on the planet?

I was hoping to find a serviceable Japanese rougelike in the absence of any recently localized Chunsoft games, but the first hour has really upset me.

FiraB

Banned
I was hoping to find a serviceable Japanese rougelike in the absence of any recently localized Chunsoft games, but the first hour has really upset me.

The Guided Fate Paradox is probably the best rogue like to come out of japan this year, this doesn't even come close to that game.

The Guided Fate Paradox is probably the best rogue like to come out of japan this year, this doesn't even come close to that game.

guided fate paradox is a BEAST!
i've made a ot about that one (although i think mine got closed in favour of another ot)..
:/

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

If TGFP is anything like ZHP then it can be considered like an AAA roguelike while most of the other games of the same genre(this game included) are "cheaper" imo, this is more newbie-friendly too.

vocab

So what's the verdict on this game? I don't care for the art style, but that's not a factor for me when it comes to games. I like rougelikes. I heard this games pretty buggy and its kind of what's been holding me back from buying it.

Did anyone here beat it and actually recommend it?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So what's the verdict on this game? I don't care for the art style, but that's not a factor for me when it comes to games. I like rougelikes. I heard this games pretty buggy and its kind of what's been holding me back from buying it.

I'm at the third dungeons and no bugs so far.

vocab

I'm at the third dungeons and no bugs so far.

Well that's good to hear. I heard some people getting freezes for no reason. I know the Japanese version had an end game bug that froze the game. I just wanted to know how rare a freeze would happen if bugs still existed.

Tohsaka

I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall.

Scher

Well that's good to hear. I heard some people getting freezes for no reason. I know the Japanese version had an end game bug that froze the game. I just wanted to know how rare a freeze would happen if bugs still existed.

I beat the whole game and made it pretty far into the post game dungeon, and I never experienced any bugs.

It is probably worth noting, though, that the game is a pretty easy roguelike. Focusing on upgrading one weapon and shield is pretty much all you need to get through the game with relative ease. You also retain your equipped weapon and shield upon death if your companion is still alive. It's pretty much a beginner's roguelike, but if you aren't too concerned with ease of difficulty, it's an okay game.

Jawmuncher

Nothing worse than getting all the way to the end and dying at the boss.

I have a question though, does going back to town via a potion allow you to do all the upgrades and then go back to the same spot? Or do you always have to start from the beginning?

I'm guessing the trick would be to have a strong weapon and keep going back and forth with it and upgrading?

So, I 'finished' this today (I haven't done Sky Palace because I believe that's like 200+ floors?)

To be honest, this is the first turn-based roguelike I've played and... I really didn't enjoy it. It was just dull, slow and far too easy. It was slightly difficult early on when I didn't have any decent equipment, but as soon as I got a decent sword/shield I just started boosting them with any spare equipment I found and it became super easy.

It got to the point where I was in the sky palace place and I would literally just plod around, hit things a few times and they'd die and I'd plod around some more. I don't think I used a single skill through the story.

And speaking of story, that would've been the saving grace if it was there. But it isn't. I know they're going for the Disgaea school of silly but it just didn't entertain me at all, sadly.

Massive shame. I remember being mad pleased when they announced this for localization and I'm normally quite lenient with niche localizations but this was a let down. Will be trading it in tomorrow.

Top Bottom