• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Buying the digital version as soon as it goes up. $10 credit from last month makes the decision so much easier. Already sunk close to 10 hours in the demo version.
The demo did a perfect job of giving you a sample of what you will get with the full game while still keeping you hungry for more.

Cha

Just had 4 really good Cerberus fights. The Martyr rewards were pretty shoddy though. Only received the Soldiers Sapling and Soldiers Icebrand weapons :(
Managed to destroy all 3 heads in one of the matches. Got so close to 400 points.

Is there any thing that can block his Spear in the ground lightning attack of almost certain death?

Just had 4 really good Cerberus fights. The Martyr rewards were pretty shoddy though. Only received the Soldiers Sapling and Soldiers Icebrand weapons :(
Managed to destroy all 3 heads in one of the matches. Got so close to 400 points.

Is there any thing that can block his Spear in the ground lightning attack of almost certain death?

Yup. Hold X and run :D

OmegaZero

Just keep your distance when he pulls out the spear so you can dodge the lightning trails.
Or use one of the movement changing offerings, like the Falcon's Feather or the Mole Hands.

Or whatever they're called.

Grinchy

Banned
I played with somebody named Grinchy earlier tonight, wonder if that was you.

haha nice, I bet it was. I hope it wasn't my first round. The host of the room hadn't switched over to the Cerberus mission when I joined the room so I just readied up with whatever loadout I had. It was showing the really easy first Avalon mission.

As soon as I saw what mission we were doing I was like "oh crap, I'm just gonna have to be sacrificed" lol

yella

Haven't gotten into th demo much yet, but the full game was always a must-buy for me. You an add mine to the list of PSN IDs:

yella - oldyella (NA)

I have 2 holidays coming soon, so I'll probably plug away at the demo this weekend. Hope to see you guys online!

KiteGr

I can sort of understand the weird part. I dunno about it being needlessly weird though. And how is it more complex than MH? I'd say it's about the same. Instead of crafting armor and weapons, you're crafting spells by gathering the spells you need to make new ones. Instead of using gems, you're using sigils. You're still fighting monsters to better yourself.

I do agree that the arena style thing seems kinda lame at first, but the more I think about all the time I had to spend running around the maps in Monster Hunter to gather materials and chase down the monsters, it's really not that bad of a trade-off. It makes the game a more manageable portable game. And playing with other people is really where it's at. I like Monster Hunter, but I had most fun with it playing with others. Def feel the same way about it here.

It's needlessly weird because the whole Demonic theme and logic, and that automatically makes it and needlessly more complex.
This game is trying to be Monster Hunter, and to do that it must also appear to some casual gamers, so I'm criticizing it from a casual's point of view. We core gamers play weird Japanese Demonic games with weird demonic rules that we have to abide all the time, and we are used to figuring out those rules, yet even I had a hard time with this one!

When it comes to monster hunter, things are self explanatory thanks to the setting. "It's a prehistoric Monster Era and you must gather resources from Monsters and the environment to craft or buy stronger weapons and Armour", and the game follows a "somehow" realistic theme without Magic and weird rules.
Once you get magic, demons and weird sacrificial rules into the mix, things will begun to get ugly (Literally, you and your targets can get VERY UGLY).

As for the flat Arenas, you said it your self! The other problem when you are not scaling the arena to farm, gather other resources or simply find your target, you loose some gameplay variety. Even if that part of the game is tedious, it still offers a meaningfull break from the action. The only other part in SS besides Arena Fighting is crawling on your cell and managing your skills in the book.

I was never a big fan of Monster Hunter (it's the worst parts of an MMO) and I don't thing I'll get Soul Sacrifice for any other reason besides "I Just need to play something on my Vita"...

Sullichin

Still haven't gotten the demo yet so I have no idea.. but, how much value will I get out of this if I only play single player? I'd be playing it mostly on my commute and I don't have that fancypants 4G Vita.

I was never a big fan of Monster Hunter (it's the worst parts of an MMO) and I don't thing I'll get Soul Sacrifice for any other reason besides "I Just need to play something on my Vita"...

Whether you really like it or not, at least they still get the money they deserve for this game.

I just got an "Annihilator" sigil from beating Cerberus repeatedly.

+50% damage and -25% defense. Cerberus has the touch of death.

Still haven't gotten the demo yet so I have no idea.. but, how much value will I get out of this if I only play single player? I'd be playing it mostly on my commute and I don't have that fancypants 4G Vita.
There seems to be a lot of content for single player. The story mode has a lot of interesting lore around it. It is also completely playable solo unlike most hunting games.

lol. That works.
If you take the direction he is facing as North, I noticed that the lighting doesn't always tend to follow you if you stand at NE,NW,SE and SW. Though, if you're too close, you're toast.

Just keep your distance when he pulls out the spear so you can dodge the lightning trails.
Or use one of the movement changing offerings, like the Falcon's Feather or the Mole Hands.

Or whatever they're called.

Yup. Hold X and run :D

I've successfully blocked it with thunder shield at points in the past, but I think it was when I was 1:19, lately, it's been overwhelming the shield and effing me up.

You can take something, if you're timing is good mind you, like the stone axe edge or one of the giant arms and hit him with a charge punch as soon as you see the animation for him removing the spear starting -- if you beat him to the "punch" (hahaha), you'll knock him out of doing the move.

If you keep your distance just stay in the areas between the sparks.
Or run very far away.

Grinchy

Banned
You can take something, if you're timing is good mind you, like the stone axe edge or one of the giant arms and hit him with a charge punch as soon as you see the animation for him removing the spear starting -- if you beat him to the "punch" (hahaha), you'll knock him out of doing the move.

I need to start trying that. I always see the attack coming from a mile away...and then I run a mile away. But I'd rather just smack his ass on the ground and then get a few extra hits out of it.

Number45

I need to start trying that. I always see the attack coming from a mile away...and then I run a mile away. But I'd rather just smack his ass on the ground and then get a few extra hits out of it.
I tried this last night... didn't end well.

I don't know what it is about that fight. I nail the combat early on (I don't have the best tools for the job at the moment), but as the fight draws on I just seem to fuck the timing up. Maybe it changes as the fight progresses (as with Lantern, who seeming stays on his ass forever early in the fight but gets up almost immediately later on) and I'm just not registering it.

I played the last several minutes as support only last night after breaking all of my attacks (all of the offering renews were gone, couldn't seem to get a single sacrifice off of the cats). The AoE heal is really good if you have someone that can shield you.

I tried Harpy ad-hoc with a colleague of mine at lunchtime and we didn't seem to get anywhere.

nampad

If I don't rewrite the story (sacrificing after saving foe) can I still get all the loot from the boss kill?

Just got my internet back and finally could try the online play. Killed Cerberus in the first try, felt good. Didn't want to sacrifice my ally even so he wanted it when Cerberus was red. He than sacrified me, lol. Game is pretty fun online.

Number45

If I don't rewrite the story (sacrificing after saving foe) can I still get all the loot from the boss kill?
Yeah, all this does is determine which ally you will have available.

Just got my internet back and finally could try the online play. Killed Cerberus in the first try, felt good. Didn't want to sacrifice my ally even so he wanted it when Cerberus was red. He than sacrified me, lol.
You get points and extra loot if you sacrifice/are sacrificed, so it's a legitimate strategy when the fight is at the business end.

Number45

can someone refresh me on the Skilful attack order for elements please

Volt > Ice > Heat > Poison > Stone > Volt
While this has been mentioned - how does this priority work for shields? Taking Cerberus as an example: his elemental alignment is volt, so he's weak to stone. In my head that means that I *shouldn't* be using stone as a shield, because his attacks are strong against it.

Does that make sense, or not? My colleague doesn't agree (and he might be right), and the fact that there's a pickup in the Cerberus arena that's stone armour suggests that I'm wrong, but I wanted to confirm for sure as it's hurting my head.

I found a site that shows what the other costumes look like. I still like the demo costumes the most though.
http://w.livedoor.jp/sousac/d/%cd%c6%bb%d1
Are these unlocks or DLC?

ZeroAKA

While this has been mentioned - how does this priority work for shields? Taking Cerberus as an example: his elemental alignment is volt, so he's weak to stone. In my head that means that I *shouldn't* be using stone as a shield, because his attacks are strong against it.

Does that make sense, or not? My colleague doesn't agree (and he might be right), and the fact that there's a pickup in the Cerberus arena that's stone armour suggests that I'm wrong, but I wanted to confirm for sure as it's hurting my head.
Stone shields/armor should work fine against Cerberus. Ice could be a problem, but a lot of his attacks seem to be non-elemental.

Are these unlocks or DLC?
Unlocks with the pre-order DLC costumes.

Number45

Stone shields/armor should work fine against Cerberus. Ice could be a problem, but a lot of his attacks seem to be non-elemental.
Yeah, I understand that physical will be fine whatever the shield in use but I thought that trying to block either his blue lightning or his spear attack (assuming they're blockable at all) with a stone shield seemed counter-intuitive.

ZeroAKA

Yeah, I understand that physical will be fine whatever the shield in use but I thought that trying to block either his blue lightning or his spear attack (assuming they're blockable at all) with a stone shield seemed counter-intuitive.
Since volt is weak to stone and not the other way around, I'd assume that a stone shield would work against Cerberus's attack. I've never used a shield to block one of those lightning attacks myself.

Massa

When one of your powers is about to be depleted how do you restore it to a usable state? And if you ignore the warning and use it till it breaks, is it permanently gone or just for that mission?

Sorry for the silly questions.

wilflare

When one of your powers is about to be depleted how do you restore it to a usable state? And if you ignore the warning and use it till it breaks, is it permanently gone or just for that mission?

Sorry for the silly questions.

Renew offerings
(1) Sacrifice defeated foes/allies
(2) Use Mind's Eye (down on your D-Pad) to find white areas that allow you to renew offerings

Broken offerings
(1) they can be restored AFTER battle using Lacrima

Lucent

hmm you mean the other orcs will come and feed on it and become a bigger Orc?
I have problems sacrificing.. things in general... that's the uncomfortable bit of the game for me

lol. I dunno how it's uncomfortable. Maybe it's just because I know it's a game and I don't really pay attention to the original forms. I just know I need offerings so I sacrifice them as soon as I need them.

JoeFenix

JoeFenix - JoeFenix (NA)

I"ll be getting the game a couple days late but I"ll be playing this a ton.

Next week is going to be great, Deadly P and Soul Sacrifizzle!

btkadams

attention canadian players,

the preorder dlc appears to be only offered by ebgames. i expected the non-retailer-specified dlc to be offered through all the major chains with playstation all-stars, but was burned when i received my futureshop copy with no dlc.

i emailed futureshop this week and they have no dlc information in their system for soul sacrifice, so know that you most likely will not receive it from them. i know this sucks, since canadian gaffers would have preordered through futureshop with the $10 off tsilon preorder codes. ebgames has the dlc written on their website though. make your decision between preorder dlc and savings.

amazon.com lists the preorder dlc on their website but amazon.ca does not. i have not spoken with any retailers aside from futureshop, so if you have a preorder through them, i suggest contacting their customer support. if you find out another retailer is offering the dlc, please post it so others can find out.

Massa

Renew offerings
(1) Sacrifice defeated foes/allies
(2) Use Mind's Eye (down on your D-Pad) to find white areas that allow you to renew offerings

Broken offerings
(1) they can be restored AFTER battle using Lacrima

Cool, thank you. :)

Stoked to play more of it tonight.

Lucent

Probably 200+ with multiplayer if you are a completionist.

Yeah well, I don't collect trophies. I'll spend time maxing out spells and stuff and trying to get them all as long as there's stuff to kill. I'd probably even keep playing it when I'm almighty just to help other people out. But yeah I have a feeling if the demo could last this long then the game probably will provide a lot of play time. Looking at all the blacked out quests and stuff in the demo, it would seem like there's a lot to go through.

Would be awesome if they kept making more bosses and spells and stuff over time. Up the level cap to like 200 sometime. lol. I dunno.

Top Bottom