• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOULCALIBUR Lost Swords |OT| Namco mission statement

Kikujiro

What about the game's idea do you like? 'Cause, it doesn't do anything particularly well.

Missed your post since the thread disappeared from the first page.

I always liked the series single player content, but SCV was pretty barebones, so the idea of a single player SC with lots of thing to collect (like the past Edge Master Mode or Virtua Fighter 4 Quest Mode) sounded great.

AmyS

I can confirm the HD SC was only a 360 release since I bought it myself and didnt get it on PS3 due to its exclusive release.

Thx. Kinda figured SC HD was most likely 360-only but wanted confirmation.

Guess I'll try to get NullDC working on my laptop also and go about fleshing out my SC collection. I know what IV is all about as I used to have it on PS360 but PS2 SCIII will be new for me as will the PSP and Wii releases.

Just loaded up this game right now and downloading a 634mb update... Let's see if this fixes things.

EDIT: Welp, it totally runs alot better now. Still standard loading waiting but nothing like originally. Way more like a real game now.

Zack117

Banned
Could someone please tell me how to change or delete characters at this game? I don't have any free slots, so giving up my current Siegfried and replacing him with Mitsurugi wouldn't bother me.

I've heard you can earn more characters by participating at the events, but the current one doesn't seem to have any unlockable character slots.

Sectus

The game has been updated quite a few times since this thread had activity. Amy was added last month, and they used a new unlocking system for her. An unlocking system which can be seen as slightly absurd.

You had to repeat a specific quest to gain soul edge fragments. A normal run would take some minutes and you'd get around 140 fragments. You needed 85000 fragments to unlock Amy. That basically meant you had to repeat this one quest for a week practically non-stop.

They released Seong Mina today and they've introduced a new system for unlocking her. Good news? You don't have to grind at all. Even better news? She's "free!" How free? Well...

2014-10-15_13-38-001er0a.jpg

The price of buying 12 Premium Chests 3 times is 90 USD. Ninety dollars. If you look for a good deal, you can probably buy Soul Calibur 5 ten times for that money. That, or you could get Seong Mina in Lost Swords.

Skilletor

The future of SoulCalibur.

I weep.

Surprised nobody posted the image of the outfit the bayonetta artist designed for this game. Forum seems rife to jump on that type of thing right now, lol.

Sectus

Wait so the 2 ways to unlock the character is to use prenium content ?

ROFL

The one way. So far, they've only had one way to unlock Amy (super grind) and Seong Mina (pay all the money). I assume they'll let them be unlocked other ways in the future, but it's a bit baffling how they started off with a pretty bad unlock system (very random whether or not you'd actually unlock the character), and then started introducing worse and worse systems.

Jeeze was hoping this game would get better not worse.

I mean its interesting Namco Bandai is trying different models for each of its F2P games but... they are all bad.

I'm just hoping that whales will end up funding Soul Calibur VI through this, somehow.
I'm not so sure I want a SC6 considering what Bamco thinks of the SC fanbase and Lost Swords' current "gameplay". Tekken Revolution was indicative of what Namco had planned for Tekken 7 and I have no doubts the same is true for Lost Swords and Soulcalibur 6.

I booted this up again the other day. The whole UI and F2P set up just really turns me off. I'm not so hot on the gameplay changes either.

I fear where this is heading. I wonder if they have hooked alot of whales on this and how much they are making.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm not so sure I want a SC6 considering what Bamco thinks of the SC fanbase and Lost Swords' current "gameplay". Tekken Revolution was indicative of what Namco had planned for Tekken 7 and I have no doubts the same is true for Lost Swords and Soulcalibur 6.

I guess I'm just praying that all of this evil will remain sealed in Lost Swords.

Skilletor

I don't know why people think we're getting an SC6 when Tekken motherfucking 7 apparently has 1/5th the budget they got for Tekken 5? lolol

The flame has expired; the soul no longer burns.

PureYeti

I don't know why people think we're getting an SC6 when Tekken motherfucking 7 apparently has 1/5th the budget they got for Tekken 5? lolol

The flame has expired; the soul no longer burns.

That's translation error. Harada was talking about costumes being 1/4th the cost to make in T5 than they are in T7

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tekken isnt' seen as a single player game like SC apparently is now.

Thinking back on SC2HDO's atrocious MP, I can only assume Namco blew that off simply because they decided nobody gave a toss.

Galdelico

I've recently downloaded the game and played it for a few days...

I had good fun with Tekken Revolution and - even if I could clearly see the huge paywall behind it - I could still enjoy the game to 100% completion and manage to unlock a few cool extra characters (not that I really cared, since my main has always been good old Kazuya). The 5 free coins are still enough for me now, when I feel the itch to play it online that one more time.

That said, I don't really understand Lost Swords... For a single player only affair - even considering the ftp formula - it seriously feels too bland and unrewarding. I keep receiving useless and ugly pieces of 'armour' for Mitsurugi (stuff that it seems to look intentionally stupid on my character), as well as the very same variation of the weapon I already own; on top of that, I only managed to unlock Sophitia, and all the extra characters/outfits that are tied to those cool timed challenges feel completely out of my character's reach... Just too hard.

I'm at the point where I'm wondering: am I missing something? Did I completely fuck up my approach with the game? Or is it really built in a way that requires the players to spend money - a lot of money too, looking at that Mina banner - in the first place, in order to even try and enjoy the game?

All this time later I still get ridiculous load times and connection errors. I also reached a point near the end (I think?) where I cant beat a mission thanks to crappy equip drops. I was lucky to get a bikini that somehow has much more def than the junk that keeps dropping for me but I'm still basically using the same sword I started out with.

I hope they make a proper sc game after tekken comes out I cant take this anymore
and bring back sophitia please.

PureYeti

I've recently downloaded the game and played it for a few days...

I had good fun with Tekken Revolution and - even if I could clearly see the huge paywall behind it - I could still enjoy the game to 100% completion and manage to unlock a few cool extra characters (not that I really cared, since my main has always been good old Kazuya). The 5 free coins are still enough for me now, when I feel the itch to play it online that one more time.

That said, I don't really understand Lost Swords... For a single player only affair - even considering the ftp formula - it seriously feels too bland and unrewarding. I keep receiving useless and ugly pieces of 'armour' for Mitsurugi (stuff that it seems to look intentionally stupid on my character), as well as the very same variation of the weapon I already own; on top of that, I only managed to unlock Sophitia, and all the extra characters/outfits that are tied to those cool timed challenges feel completely out of my character's reach... Just too hard.

I'm at the point where I'm wondering: am I missing something? Did I completely fuck up my approach with the game? Or is it really built in a way that requires the players to spend money - a lot of money too, looking at that Mina banner - in the first place, in order to even try and enjoy the game?

That's normal. My character had to look stupid too at first. You will get better items later on in the quests. Sometimes there will be quests where you can get the original costumes for the characters.

Here's a Google doc what drops what. I think there is another link where it have the pictures somewhere

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuCFidhZrZjKdE9tVVRVVnB6YXp2Z3Flb3BwZ0EwSEE&usp=sharin

Galdelico

No, the fault lies within the game. if you want to do something specific , just ..forget about it.

All this time later I still get ridiculous load times and connection errors. I also reached a point near the end (I think?) where I cant beat a mission thanks to crappy equip drops. I was lucky to get a bikini that somehow has much more def than the junk that keeps dropping for me but I'm still basically using the same sword I started out with.

I hope they make a proper sc game after tekken comes out I cant take this anymore
and bring back sophitia please.

Eh, I see. :/
Thank you guys!

That's normal. My character had to look stupid too at first. You will get better items later on in the quests. Sometimes there will be quests where you can get the original costumes for the characters.

Here's a Google doc what drops what. I think there is another link where it have the pictures somewhere

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuCFidhZrZjKdE9tVVRVVnB6YXp2Z3Flb3BwZ0EwSEE&usp=sharin

Thanks sir, that looks interesting and worth a read before giving up with the game.

Bardiche

Having to pay $90 to play as Mina shows how far Soul Calibur has fallen.
I've been a Mina fan since the Soul Edge days and I was anticipating for her return but the underwhelming trailer and the price tag to get her is not motivating me to play this game.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Having to pay $90 to play as Mina shows how far Soul Calibur has fallen.
I've been a Mina fan since the Soul Edge days and I was anticipating for her return but the underwhelming trailer and the price tag to get her is not motivating me to play this game.

Well, at least Maxi only cost $60.

I hate to admit it, but I did actually go for that simply because I wanted to see how insane he'd play with no brakes. It is pretty funny. Got an obscene wall combo with BBBBBKK x3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnjq1f5eI7k

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
If it makes anyone feel any better, a few weeks ago, the official SoulCalibur facebook page (the one that posts Lost Swords updates) did indicate in some comments that there was a SoulCalibur VI in development, but that it is not ready to be revealed.

I guess releasing an overpriced mess like Lost Swords is one way of funding a project.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
They made you shell out 60$ for one old character in non multiplayer fighting game.

That's pretty brilliant.

Well, in a way but I was referring to my purchase. ;)

OTOH, I did get some sweet gear so I could actually equip the character without having to grind for days just to get past the blue hot pants stage.

Nimby

Banned
If it makes anyone feel any better, a few weeks ago, the official SoulCalibur facebook page (the one that posts Lost Swords updates) did indicate in some comments that there was a SoulCalibur VI in development, but that it is not ready to be revealed.

I guess releasing an overpriced mess like Lost Swords is one way of funding a project.

Nitpicking and all, but we've nearly reached CGI levels in terms of graphic this gen, I want to see some good looking character models for SCVI, and the return of Guard Impact.

Sectus

Namco just released Cassandra. As with Mina, she costs 90 dollars.

So I guess this is actually selling considering they've released characters this way several times?

Top Bottom