• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

orioto

Good Art™
So for those of you who build levels, do you start with the level/gameplay and then add music notes that fit? Or do you start with the music and then build the level around the notes?

The result will be really different.

Personally for my first level i did the gameplay first, to install the rythm, then i build just one screen on the melody, by placing the notes first. This is really two different approach but you can alternate between different screens of the level.

That's the kind of thing the makes the game so rich to me! Even if it feels like everyone kinda drop the ball lately. I'm not sure the release some weeks before LPB was such a good idea.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just discovered this little gem: Nature Mechanics. Placed 17th worldwide.

097f8e83-b83e-3ec5-9f2a-11b0cca34c9d-image

I should try and make a level in this or LBP sometime soon.

kiyomi

Completed the main campaign today and the beat schools, very enjoyable, especially the schools and the Beck and office levels. However.

I absolutely hate death mode.

That is all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yes, I've got a couple tracks up on soundcloud (be warned- very different from the soundshapes stuff):

http://soundcloud.com/petchem

As well as a bunch of music / art / videogame related stuff at my youtube channel (this skews more experimental / academic):

http://www.youtube.com/crudface

Thanks so much for asking.

Those are indeed a bit different ;) You should recreate your And I to Fire Level digitally on PC, and publish it on Soundcloud *Shyamalan twist* :p

I would seriously want that

Kahjah

Neo Member
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have been writing a series of article spotlighting some of my favorite creators in the Sound Shapes community. After the first one posted, they folks from Queasy asked if they could work with me in doing so for the rest of the year.

If you looking for some insight into what the creators were thinking check out the articles here:

http://thespawnpointblog.com/category/sound-shapers/

and on the Sound Shapes blog here: http://soundshapesgame.com/news/Showcasing-the-SoundShapers.html

I love constructive criticism and to hear what you guys think.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon.

darkwing

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have been writing a series of article spotlighting some of my favorite creators in the Sound Shapes community. After the first one posted, they folks from Queasy asked if they could work with me in doing so for the rest of the year.

If you looking for some insight into what the creators were thinking check out the articles here:

http://thespawnpointblog.com/category/sound-shapers/

and on the Sound Shapes blog here: http://soundshapesgame.com/news/Showcasing-the-SoundShapers.html

I love constructive criticism and to hear what you guys think.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon.

wow I have to queue those guy's levels quick, they look amazing

Dynamic3

I just picked up a Vita and I can't seem to get through the tutorial. It's asking me to use the rear touch pad to move an object but nothing is happening when I do (the pad works in other games).

Any ideas?

Skyzard

Banned
I just picked up a Vita and I can't seem to get through the tutorial. It's asking me to use the rear touch pad to move an object but nothing is happening when I do (the pad works in other games).

Any ideas?

It may be temporarily unresponsive...best thing would be to power off the vita (not just standby- so hold the power button down for a while). Should work afterwards.

Don't think it has happened to me (just the rearpad) but the front touchscreen was unresponsive once in the last few months I owned it. Fixed it by turning it off.

Dynamic3

It may be temporarily unresponsive...best thing would be to power off the vita (not just standby- so hold the power button down for a while). Should work afterwards.

Don't think it has happened to me (just the rearpad) but the front touchscreen was unresponsive once in the last few months I owned it. Fixed it by turning it off.

Thanks, that worked.

On another note, have they ever talked about releasing a soundtrack?

Number45

That was my favorite part of the game. I wish there would be Beat School dlc one day.
:)

Actually just took a pair of headphones and a little concentration. They're all pretty easy except for the last two, which really take some experimentation. Platinum achieved (my first cross-play platinum, does that mean I can now fire it up on the PS3 for that double action?).

Grinchy

Banned
^Yeah that last one had one single note that I just could not figure out. I tried it so many times and always had one missing. Finally got it one night and immediately wanted more Beat School.

I can't believe you finished Death Mode. I like it but it is too intense and frustrating for me to play it often. Plus I don't like how it doesn't give you an indication of which ones you've finished already. I always have to check my trophy list.

Number45

I can't believe you finished Death Mode. I like it but it is too intense and frustrating for me to play it often. Plus I don't like how it doesn't give you an indication of which ones you've finished already. I always have to check my trophy list.
There's only one level in there that I didn't finish in a single sitting (Galaxanoids, must have spent an hour before bed on Saturday night then got it in a few tries on Sunday). The rest aren't actually too bad - there is an element of luck (because coin placement is randomised to a degree), but everything is so tight and retrying is such a painless process (I understand these are low footprint single screen levels, but I don't think enough games do this well) I just kept beavering away until it all fell into place.

So many of them were finished with less than 1/2 a second remaining. Tense! <3

I think the tracks you've finished get thicker on the album/track selection.
Correct, those you haven't completed are a dull grey and they brighten to a yellow (which is also reflected on the album cover, though not for death mode) when they're complete.

Number45

So I fired up the PS3 version this morning for the first time expecting all of my Vita progress to be there, and it said the save is corrupted and gave me the option to retry or overwrite the data with a new save (retry failed, so I closed the game).

Anyone had this before, or know where I should direct any queries about it?

EDIT: Wait, do I have to manually cloud sync from the Vita game?

Number45

If anybody has the above problem I solved it by re-syncing from the Vita game, deleting the save from the PS3 XMB, deleting local progress from within the PS3 game and the syncing again to the cloud. Double platinum get! ^_^

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Number45 in solitude.
Great game though, should check out some recent community levels. Havent played it in a while.

VanWinkle

I would have thought this game would get some new "albums" regularly as DLC and I was really excited for it, but it seems that never really panned out. It's really sad because I'd love to play a new album with new music and art.

Number45

That's weird, I could have sworn there was some DLC listed in the EU store update this week. No sign of it now though, perhaps it wasn't quite ready.

I sold my Vita awhile back so I could wait and grab the AC3 white model and that was right before Sound Shapes came out. I made myself wait til I got my new Vita before I buy this game. Today, after getting my Vita bundle via Amazon BF deal, I finally downloaded this title. So far, it's awesome! Can't wait to dive deeper into it and make my own levels.

Skyzard

Banned
Local saving..?

How are the community levels these days, is it still quite active?

Still haven't got to beat school but finally started doing the deathmode levels...exactly what I hoped from SS - great even as a platformer.

I still haven't really explored the community levels as I'd prefer to save them for when I'm out and about to try.
I can wait :p

Top Bottom