• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Alright, I've just put up these 2 new levels for anyone interested.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/cUjaYwXb
Aqua Velvet is a short, speed run focused, moody level. It's not meant to be challenging, just meant to be a quick roller coaster ride. The game "Mouse Trap" was an inspiration, where obstacles and pathways just sort of flow together. The alternative title was 'do fish dream of electric sheep'… so, yeah.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/rtD88fqy
Office Affair is a story heavy and thematically dense 10 or so minute level. You tell your wife goodbye and go off to work, but in the afternoon doldrums a flirtatious coworker catches your eye. Can you escape the twisted business world she drags you into?

I am proud of the beat in Aqua Velvet and the themes in Office Affair. but neither one is as good as Shadow of the Colossus I don't think. but, screw it, lol.
Beat your score in Aqua Velvet (my PSN is gevurah22). ;p Great time attack btw. Really enjoyed it. ^^

Arukado

I've been grinding Invaderoids for like 2 hours straight to get the WR so that all the deadmau5 levels could be mine, but I didn't manage to set a single time. I've massively improved in the first third of the level but I always fuck up somewhere.

I only need one second less...damn Arukado D:
So we are both from gaf? :lol

I love that stage so much, and i think i can improve the time a little more (maybe 3-4 seconds), but right now i try to adjust the movements so much that i keep failing the easy parts.

Awesome stage.

Foshy

So we are both from gaf? :lol

I love that stage so much, and i think i can improve the time a little more (maybe 3-4 seconds), but right now i try to adjust the movements so much that i keep failing the easy parts.

Awesome stage.
So you're on here too? Now that's awkward :lol

I'm less than half a second away from your time now, I completely fucked up halfways through the level but did a nearly perfect last third that made up for it. If I could get a good run with no stupid deaths or mistakes I could also improve by around 3-4 seconds like you said too.

I swear the screen near the end with the 4 Invaders (long black enemies that change height and shoot lasers) is just luck. I lost so many great runs there by dying repeatedly :[

It would be cool if this game would notify you when a friend sets a time/someone beats your record like Motorstorm RC.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anybody help me?
How does cloud saving works?
Can I use my PSV Cloud save on PS3? I tried to synch PS3 but I get an error... :(
Yeah, cloud saving works across both PS3 and Vita, but there is a bug somewhere doing cloud sync on PS3. Here is how you do to get around the bug:

- Exit the game
- Disconnect from PSN on the XMB (click triangle on the Account Manager and choose "sign out")
- Start the game
- Go to option and choose cloud sync
- Then the PSN login will pop up, login and voilá, syncing works :)

Sintoid

Yeah, cloud saving works across both PS3 and Vita, but there is a bug somewhere doing cloud sync on PS3. Here is how you do to get around the bug:

- Exit the game
- Disconnect from PSN on the XMB (click triangle on the Account Manager and choose "sign out")
- Start the game
- Go to option and choose cloud sync
- Then the PSN login will pop up, login and voilá, syncing works :)

Whoa, thank you, it worked! :D

jbartee

Alright, I've just put up these 2 new levels for anyone interested.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/cUjaYwXb
Aqua Velvet is a short, speed run focused, moody level. It's not meant to be challenging, just meant to be a quick roller coaster ride. The game "Mouse Trap" was an inspiration, where obstacles and pathways just sort of flow together. The alternative title was 'do fish dream of electric sheep'… so, yeah.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/rtD88fqy
Office Affair is a story heavy and thematically dense 10 or so minute level. You tell your wife goodbye and go off to work, but in the afternoon doldrums a flirtatious coworker catches your eye. Can you escape the twisted business world she drags you into?

I am proud of the beat in Aqua Velvet and the themes in Office Affair. but neither one is as good as Shadow of the Colossus I don't think. but, screw it, lol.

Office Affair is like, really really good. Probably my favorite user level so far. The stuff you're doing with narrative is insane, really sets a new standard for expression here.

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat the campaign. You guys were right - the Beck levels are awesome. It was all good stuff, but I think I liked the deadmau5 and Beck levels the best. I really liked the Corporeal levels too though.

I also did the first 3 levels of beat school and I am loving that too. This is just an unexpectedly awesome game. *edit- actually I'm flying through beat school and loving it. If there is DLC for this game, I really hope it includes more beat school.

pargonta

Office Affair is like, really really good. Probably my favorite user level so far. The stuff you're doing with narrative is insane, really sets a new standard for expression here.

haha, thank you! I really was focused on the visual and story with that, with the music hopefully being organic and supplementary, so it's cool that it comes across.

to you though, the melodic buildup in 'and i to fire' is still my favorite thing ever lol. but yeah thank you. I am probably done editing for awhile so those are my 3 levels ha.
I'll still be playing though
Orioto it's all queued it up!

KalBalboa

Banned
7862339806_2753160da7_b.jpg

I hope that embeds properly because, hey, got my double platinum tonight!

Orioto, played your level earlier too. Tough, but it tests different skills.

Markew001

Just tried to test my levels on PS3 for the first time. One played fine, the other "failed to download" or something - seems I could still play other levels fine. Anyone else have this issue? I'll try again later.

Roubjon

Could someone explain why the game is harder on Vita? I haven't tried it yet on my PS3, but I've found that the game controls really well anyways.

Skyzard

Banned
I wanted to come in and officially take back my previous speculation about the game's platforming (before I got to play it). Having progressed through most of the campaign (I know I'm taking my time) I have to say the platforming in this game is also top-notch.

Markew001

Could someone explain why the game is harder on Vita? I haven't tried it yet on my PS3, but I've found that the game controls really well anyways.

I find it easier on Vita but I think that's because I started playing it there first. I'm sure it's dependent on whichever control feels more comfortable in your hands.

Skyzard

Banned
I would love a pack with extra levels for all the albums. New ones would be a bonus. But I'd definitely like to see more deadmau5, beck, and guthrie levels.

Deadmau5 has been my favourite so far. Beck was good but I might need a couple more playthroughs for me it seems I didn't appreciate them as much as I should have.

I would buy any DLC for this game (especially if it had additional stuff we could use). I wouldn't mind if they chose to go for new people either...
another nag for klaypex

Any word on plans for implementing saving community levels locally?

Hope this is selling as much as it deserves to. Even as a traditional platformer, it is so satisfying. The music and and level editor are the best bonuses.

Everyone should have this.

Chairhome

So I got this game launch week, played the first few levels and wasn't too impressed. I thought that the game was neat, but that it was kinda simple. Fast forward to this weekend when I got to the second album and wow. The Superbrothers level is amazing. I really like this game now.

Community side: I tried the Metroid Vania level and was impressed.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ha come on, 6 guys tried my second level and not one could take all the notes :p I thought GAF was tougher than that!

Had something similar for mine. 12 tries so far and all were missing the one note I hid. The level only has 4 main screens with the hint to the hidden area being relatively easy to spot. Guess people arent in an exploring mood when trying random levels. Too bad that the hint and entrance to the hidden level were probably among the better ideas I had for this level, ah well.

Edit: edited in the level link

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Symmetric Hell :p

Toma, link ? Oh nice yo edited. Listed.
Mine aren't hidden at all, they are obvious, you just have to go catch them :p People missed like 10 of the 36 ones, tsss

Lol, I'll try to get your 36 now and you'll try to find mine ;) Didnt turn out all that special, but whatever. I liked my first try.

Toma

let's do that! oh 38 actually :p

Wow, those are some mean checkpoints. I just accidentally fell through the 2nd screen, activating the way point of the 3rd.

Mean. Really cool platforming ideas though.

Edit: Same happened on my second try. Well, at least I am listing to good music while doing that :p

orioto

Good Art™
Wow, those are some mean checkpoints. I just accidentally fell through the 2nd screen, activating the way point of the 3rd.

Mean. Really cool platforming ideas though.

Edit: Same happened on my second try. Well, at least I am listing to good music while doing that :p

hm yes i had problems with the positions of the check point.. maybe it's a little tough indeed cause this is an unusual top to bottom level.. How could i put them then.. Cause if i put them before the screen switch, it may also cause problems..

I tried your level and well.. lol. I found a secret passage but there wasn't any notes in it. I also had an idea for where it could be, but it seems i cannot go there.. so i do'nt know :p

Nice Famassu you're the gaf savior!

Toma

hm yes i had problems with the positions of the check point.. maybe it's a little tough indeed cause this is an unusual top to bottom level.. How could i put them then.. Cause if i put them before the screen switch, it may also cause problems..

I tried your level and well.. lol. I found a secret passage but there wasn't any notes in it. I also had an idea for where it could be, but it seems i cannot go there.. so i do'nt know :p

Nice Famassu you're the gaf savior!

Managed to get the 38 as well. And yeah, I guess you found the screen with the "hint". If you know where that is supposed to be its just a matter of finding the right timing for the jump ;)

A solution to that problem in your level would probably be to exchange the small black stone below the last checkpoint in the 2nd screen with a wider white stone, so that you wont accidentally fall through.

orioto

Good Art™
Managed to get the 38 as well. And yeah, I guess you found the screen with the "hint". If you know where that is supposed to be its just a matter of finding the right timing for the jump ;)

A solution to that problem in your level would probably be to exchange the small black stone below the last checkpoint in the 2nd screen with a wider white stone, so that you wont accidentally fall through.

Hmmm wat ? a hint ? I've seen a black cross.. But i don't see any jump to do... lol

ha but that would be too easy if i did that :p I've a better idea actually.. But i forgot i have to redo the whole level after that to update it -_- that's hellish...

Toma

Hmmm wat ? a hint ? I've seen a black cross.. But i don't see any jump to do... lol

The screen you found was a hint for another screen (one of the 4 main ones) ;) I guess it was too "treasure map"-ey

Toma

ha but that would be too easy if i did that :p I've a better idea actually.. But i forgot i have to redo the whole level after that to update it -_- that's hellish...

Do you need to grab all notes when submitting a level? Pretty sure I left out my hidden one when I submitted it. Just getting through it shouldnt be too hard.

orioto

Good Art™
Do you need to grab all notes when submitting a level? Pretty sure I left out my hidden one when I submitted it. Just getting through it shouldnt be too hard.

Nice trick! I'll just do that.
I'm confused with your map... i'll study that lol...

So i changed the block at the end of the second screen, and i added red blocks under it so you won't fall to the next screen (you'll just die and restart right at this check point.

Toma

Nice trick! I'll just do that.

So i changed the block at the end of the second screen, and i added red blocks under it so you won't fall to the next screen (you'll just die and restart right at this check point.

I'll check it again when its updated :)

I'm confused with your map... i'll study that lol...

It shouldnt be that hard actually if you compare what you found on that screen with the 4 main ones. Or at least I thought so...

One of the easiest platinums to get. I loved the concept, hopefully they could add extra DLC. Platforming in different aesthetics along with the signature music from the artists give an extra "panache" on top.

orioto

Good Art™
I'll check it again when its updated :)

It shouldnt be that hard actually if you compare what you found on that screen with the 4 main ones. Or at least I thought so...

It's updated!

I'm sorry but this map thing doesn't make any sense to me :p There is a cross but i cannot see what's the relation between what's on screen on the other screens...

Toma

It's updated!

I'm sorry but this map thing doesn't make any sense to me :p There is a cross but i cannot see what's the relation between what's on screen on the other screens...

Complete solution:
Its the same setup of stones as in the first screen. Just search for the same stone as the one that has the X on it and there is a tube in the same position

Thanks for trying though :)

orioto

Good Art™
Complete solution:
Its the same setup of stones as in the first screen. Just search for the same stone as the one that has the X on it and there is a tube in the same position

Thanks for trying though :)

Ohhh, ill do that :p The problem is that those blocks are too essy for people to actually recognize a pattern or memorize it.. So you wouldn't think "oh i've seen that before". That and the level has a linear structure so you wouldn't think i've to come back..

Toma

Ohhh, ill do that :p The problem is that those blocks are too essy for people to actually recognize a pattern or memorize it.. So you wouldn't think "oh i've seen that before". That and the level has a linear structure so you wouldn't think i've to come back..

Ah, I didnt even have in mind people needed to "come back". I figured they would just start over if they now know where to look for it. And I guess I could make one stone pattern memorable enough so people would realize which screen I am referring to. Well, thanks for the feedback :)

orioto

Good Art™
Ah, I didnt even have in mind people needed to "come back". I figured they would just start over if they now know where to look for it. And I guess I could make one stone pattern memorable enough so people would realize which screen I am referring to. Well, thanks for the feedback :)

I've done it! was a nice idea indeed. There is just no chance someone would find that in that context :p Maybe with a really recognizable pattern indeed.

Markew001

Yea Toma, I enjoyed your level but I couldn't figure out the X clue either =p

I did start over once or twice but finally threw in the towel. I'll check it out again tonight with your hint and try to grab that extra note.

If anyone's interested: my latest level http://www.soundshapesgame.com/level/et85iksf

Top Bottom