• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina ex-police officer indicted in Walter Scott killing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This juror can "in good conscience" be okay with another human being be shot in the back to death, though?

Come on, he has no conscience.

Redd

As long as you're a cop you can get away with pretty much anything. This is why we need serious police reform. -_-

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Likely to be declared a mistrial anf hopefully get 12 people with a conscience involved for a retrial. Nobody shoots an unarmed man running away from them, and later plants evidence who isn't guilty of murder. That person should be ashamed.

Would they convict if the shooter was black and the victim white? Of course. Would they convict if the victim was someone they knew? Of course. What a racist or completely mentally incompetent (and still likely racist) piece of garbage who obviously lied to get past voir dire.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Absolutely disgusting that one juror just doomed this family to more years of knowing their family member's killer walks free. He was shot in the back.

Judge should have just replaced him. He clearly lied at some point in the process if he couldn't even "in good conscience" vote for manslaughter.

This is bad. A badge is a free license to murder. What was the jury make up?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was only 1 black person on the jury. No clue on the gender make up or if the 11 others were all white or not.

johnny956

Amazing, the most clear cut case we've seen and still mistrial. Hopefully they try the case again and get a guilty verdict

Mark L

Yes it is awful that the family has to go through this, but it could have been much, much worse. At least the judge has enough decency to recognize that justice was not being done.

Ogodei

Post fact world. Just because he was running away unarmed in the video didn't mean he wasn't threatening the officer with a gun.

Chief Justice Roger B. Taney said:
They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations; and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit."
The spirit of the Dred Scott decision lives on in America's justice system. Those 11 White jurors were selected because this result was intended.

Absolutely disgusting that one juror just doomed this family to more years of knowing their family member's killer walks free. He was shot in the back.

Judge should have just replaced him. He clearly lied at some point in the process if he couldn't even "in good conscience" vote for manslaughter.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was only 1 black person on the jury. No clue on the gender make up or if the 11 others were all white or not.
Taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1307971&highlight=

CHARLESTON, S.C. — A nearly all-white jury was seated Wednesday for the murder trial of a white former South Carolina officer whose fatal shooting of a black man stunned the nation after it was recorded on a cellphone by a bystander.

A jury of six white men, five white women and one black man will hear the case of Michael Slager, charged with murder in the April 2015 shooting death of 50-year-old Walter Scott as he fled a traffic stop in North Charleston.

aquavelva

What an odd thing to say. To what end do you hope that information leaks?

Um, no, this is dangerous.

What exactly are you advocating for

They need to reveal his information so we know who the white supremacists are. The only reason that juror didn't convict is because the murderer was white and the victim was black and he needs to exposed so he never enters a jury box again when black people are involved.

Kreed

^This, or just remove the juror all together/make the decision with a smaller jury if no alternate jurors were available.

ShOcKwAvE

They need to reveal his information so we know who the white supremacists are. The only reason that juror didn't convict is because the murderer was white and the victim was black and he needs to exposed so he never enters a jury box again when black people are involved.

This is so blatantly ignorant that I don't even know how to respond. The juror might be racist, but only the other jurors know what they discussed, so I'd keep my fingers off the keyboard for a while if I were you.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

True story. Fuck that juror.

Vena

I'd put money on him not being retried. I have absolutely no faith in our justice system.

10 to 1 guilty from the Jury, he'll be retried.

They'll also screen more carefully for racist asshats, and the hold-out here will never sit on another jury bench again.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

If he's ever called for jury duty again his involvement in this trial will be discovered during selection. Then a lawyer will ask that he's dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom