• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 21 |OT| 'member Self-Contained Episodes?

Oh god, the Garrison tweets are killing me. Holy shit.

I'm pretty sure they've retconned the whole Garrison as Trump thing. The Twitter pic looks nothing like Garrison and I'm sure I remember reading that as Trump actually won they decided to drop the whole thing. Could be wrong though...

I'm pretty sure they've retconned the whole Garrison as Trump thing. The Twitter pic looks nothing like Garrison and I'm sure I remember reading that as Trump actually won they decided to drop the whole thing. Could be wrong though...
That was clearly garrison with his orange make up and trump wig.

He even says "I know that kid tweek".

They didn't say they'd retcon it, but they probably won't have any use for the character this season.

Real Hero

It was clearly garrison and he said he knew tweek

Harmen

First episode was one of the worst SP episodes I recall. They tried to include many angles and missed them all. Second one was indeed a good episode, look forward to the rest!

WaterAstro

man that was great. second episode was on point, this episode looks great too. Maybe they needed a breather from episodic to come back refreshed.

I dunno... last season wasn't great, but I think season 19 did it well. The season had common themes and led up to a big finale, but each episode felt contained. I don't think it's easy to pull off something like season 19.

First episode was one of the worst SP episodes I recall. They tried to include many angles and missed them all. Second one was indeed a good episode, look forward to the rest!

Early season South Parks are pretty bad and not witty at all.

Wow, solid episode. Tweek is fun. And it really captures all the daily North Korea paranoia. Fidget spinners were the best part because of course Tweek would need them. Second would have to be the North Korea pics edited with plans on how to get at Tweek lol.
B7AZDsE.gif

WaterAstro

Curious what you mean by early seasons. To me, they hit their stride with season 4, but I certainly wouldn't describe the early episodes as bad or not witty.

Some of them are good, and some are bad. I don't mean to generalize all of them.
I watched a few recently and will rewatch everything soon.

Like season 3 rainforest episode was bad, especially when Cartman's behavior feels undeveloped in comparison to later seasons, but the episode after, spontaenous combustion was pretty witty, although not entirely with that segment where Stan's dad, Stan, and Kyle do this musical cringey bit.

And another example, season 5, the first episode with the "shit" count wasn't really funny, and the conclusion didn't have a good payoff, but, of course, Scott Tenorman Must Die is hilarious.

I just find more bad episodes in the previous seasons than I do with mmmm Season 8? and on. White People Renovating Houses was certainly funnier than a lot of episodes in the early seasons.

Didn't Cartman discover he was part Navarro or something. It is definitely ringing a bell but I'm not sure.
It's the episode based on the world ending in 2012. The kids go to a water park and Cartman realizes that there's more minorities than white people (Kyle points out that that makes him the minority, but Cartman refuses to see it that way). Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the episode you're thinking about.

yyr

Classic South Park would have had the boys go on an adventure in North Korea and developed some goof character for Kim.

It was okayish/normal modern South Park.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking tbh. Although ep2 did have some clever and/or funny moments. I totally didn't get the reference to the rapper, though, as I've never heard the source material, so the Cartman suicide rap thing seemed out of place to me (and made my wife look uncomfortable). I didn't really laugh until "Put It Down" started. But it did give me some hope that they can still do this thing. I almost gave up after ep1.

White People Renovating Houses was certainly funnier than a lot of episodes in the early seasons.

As someone who started watching this show when it premiered, and has watched every episode, I completely disagree with this.

The season premiere this year was probably one of the worst episodes ever made IMO. Not only did I find none of it to be funny, it looked like the episode was a buildup to a bold political statement and then...didn't say anything at all. It was, I believe, very un-South Park-like to just shy away like that. The polar opposite (though not "early season") would be Whale Whores, one of my all-time favorites, where the whole episode is a buildup, and then the last five seconds make the whole thing amazing. Absolute missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Anyway, the concept for ep3 sounds funny so I'm looking forward to it.

abundant

Didn't Cartman discover he was part Navarro or something. It is definitely ringing a bell but I'm not sure.

It was back during the episode where Cartman was looking for his real dad. He also thought he was part black when he found out the Chef could be his father.

WaterAstro

As someone who started watching this show when it premiered, and has watched every episode, I completely disagree with this.

The season premiere this year was probably one of the worst episodes ever made IMO. Not only did I find none of it to be funny, it looked like the episode was a buildup to a bold political statement and then...didn't say anything at all. It was, I believe, very un-South Park-like to just shy away like that. The polar opposite (though not "early season") would be Whale Whores, one of my all-time favorites, where the whole episode is a buildup, and then the last five seconds make the whole thing amazing. Absolute missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Anyway, the concept for ep3 sounds funny so I'm looking forward to it.

I found the Amazon Echo bit funny because it happens in real life, and the Darryl Weathers home renovation was hilarious.

CassSept

I laughed so hard at that part. Expected it to go this way but it still worked for me.

That was a good episode. Much better than the season premiere and anything last season. I'm really really glad they approached it with some level of continuity (i.e. acknowleding Garrison being a president) while not going full serialization like the last two seasons, that's probably the best way to approach it (and one of the reasons season 18 worked as well as it did). Though I hope they drop Cartman x Heidi subplot soon, it's really not funny and drags the show down.

Durden77

Just caught up with this season

First episode seemed pretty weak. Will give it another watch at some point.

Second episode was FANTASTIC. Fully on point SP. Hope it continues more in that direction.

Top Bottom