• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

adj_noun

Would like a final confirmation of the length. Either way can't wait. Been sitting in my Steam library for a while now!

With guesses ranging from 12 hours to 50 (lol) who knows.

A pseudo-elite poster who was overshadowed by his reputation to the point it got him banned (more than a few times), but also now a special spot on a OT subtitle.

To me, he is an example of a forum phenomenon where if one sticks to a position (primarily a negative one, since there is a bias towards negativity) long enough, people will shift the overall environment so as to make that person a pillar of the discussion, i.e., elevating their reputation and input without requiring them to also provide some construction to go along with their destruction. For example, if you've were reading Metal Gear Rising (or Yakuza, etc.) threads you may remember one certain poster who constantly crapped on the game, thread after thread, with mostly superficial or poorly supported thoughts; despite never saying anything of substance (or to be more generous, anything anyone responded positively to or was challenged by), that poster was naturally name dropped constantly.

For Derrick this happened to such a degree where his mere presence would derail threads of multiple topics.

Thank you for this. I figured "Derrick" had to be forum self-referential, but it's nice to have it explained.

I've had this one preordered on Amazon since December 2012. The PC version uses Steamworks, right?

I've not been so sure about a game in awhile. Obsidian and Matt & Trey. It's going to be good.

MYE

New gameplay screenshot

sYx0mSk.jpg

Nice OT, Dawg. I'm ready for this.

"Some people say that I'm a bad guy
They may be right
They may be right
But it's not as if I don't try
I just mess up, try as I might

But I can't change, I can't change
I can't learn to love these games again, I know it
I'll call out all these bad devs and I will show it
Any minute now, I swear they'll blow it"

RoKKeR

That Q&A section. Too much, great OP.

Still have no idea what you're supposed to do in this game even after reading the OP but I'll keep an eye on reviews. Might be a fun summer pickup or something.

-MD-

A pseudo-elite poster who was overshadowed by his reputation to the point it got him banned (more than a few times), but also now a special spot on a OT subtitle.

To me, he is an example of a forum phenomenon where if one sticks to a position (primarily a negative one, since there is a bias towards negativity) long enough, people will shift the overall environment so as to make that person a pillar of the discussion, i.e., elevating their reputation and input without requiring them to also provide some construction to go along with their destruction. For example, if you've were reading Metal Gear Rising (or Yakuza, etc.) threads you may remember one certain poster who constantly crapped on the game, thread after thread, with mostly superficial or poorly supported thoughts; despite never saying anything of substance (or to be more generous, anything anyone responded positively to or was challenged by), that poster was naturally name dropped constantly.

For Derrick this happened to such a degree where his mere presence would derail threads of multiple topics.

Well said. This is more a thread about him than an OT about South Park atm and he's not even here, majority of posts are discussing his ban or how clever including his name into the title was. Really unfortunate we couldn't have had a real OT for this game. I'm contributing toward the problem so this'll be the last thing I say on the matter.

OT: I'm really hoping the reviews for this are solid, I already know I'm gonna love the game and I have it preordered on PC but I still want it to see it do well with critics (provided it's as amazing as videos and early impressions make it seem). I also really hope it's 15+ hours long, that 12 hour figure worries me but if that's not including sidequests then I'm fine with it.

Isaccard

To me, he is an example of a forum phenomenon where if one sticks to a position (primarily a negative one, since there is a bias towards negativity) long enough, people will shift the overall environment so as to make that person a pillar of the discussion, i.e., elevating their reputation and input without requiring them to also provide some construction to go along with their destruction. I mean to say, someone can repeat "this is bad, I don't like it", dressed up with some bandwagon-ish terms, over and over again, and it will eventually be legitimized as the yang to the fans' ying. For example, if you've were reading Metal Gear Rising (or Yakuza, etc.) threads you may remember one certain poster who constantly crapped on the game, thread after thread, with mostly superficial or poorly supported thoughts; despite never saying anything of substance (or to be more generous, anything anyone responded positively to or was challenged by), that poster was naturally name dropped constantly.

Derricks eulogy, GAF.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I will always remember derrick for putting Uncharted Vita in his top 10 games of 2012 list then taking every opportunity to say that Tomb Raider 2013 was probably the worst game to come out that year.

This comes out the same day as Words of Radiance. I'm going to have a tough go allocating my free time. I suspect the Kindle app on my work computer is going get me into trouble.

I'm so hyped for this game! I changed my Jay up a little bit for the game. I'll spruce it up a bit later, but this will do for now.

idWmYaYixEA6t.png

This game seems really interesting and I like that Matt and Trey are heavily involved. I will be checking this game out for sure especially if initial impressions are good. I hate to be buying stuff for my last gen console though so I might go PC version.

Ein Bear

Haven't laughed that hard at an OT in ages, well done! Didn't realise Derrick had been perma'd, thought it was just a temporary ban.

Anyway, really can't wait for this to come out, looks fantastic. I have surgery and a fortnight off work just as the game releases, so have the perfect chance to binge on it whilst I recover.

Is there any word on technical specs for the console versions? Not sure how technically demanding a game like this is . 1080p/60fps, Rayman-style, would be awesome.

Wow, a week to go already? Day 1 for this, looks great. Obsidian can do me no wrong.

To me, he is an example of a forum phenomenon where if one sticks to a position (primarily a negative one, since there is a bias towards negativity) long enough, people will shift the overall environment so as to make that person a pillar of the discussion, i.e., elevating their reputation and input without requiring them to also provide some construction to go along with their destruction. I mean to say, someone can repeat "this is bad, I don't like it", dressed up with some bandwagon-ish terms, over and over again, and it will eventually be legitimized as the yang to the fans' ying. For example, if you were reading Metal Gear Rising (or Yakuza, etc.) threads you may remember one certain poster who constantly crapped on the game, thread after thread, with mostly superficial or poorly supported thoughts; despite never saying anything of substance (or to be more generous, anything anyone responded positively to or was challenged by), that poster was naturally name dropped constantly.

Very well said. His passion was his downfall in the end. RIP in peace derrick01.

shandy706

Really looking forward to this game. I just hope I can find time to fit it in.

I don't know if I'm surprised by the banning or not. The guy was also so negative.

I never brought up the fact that I thought DE:HR was "meh" (I always ended up playing something else) after I got it. I remember being annoyed that a lot of things didn't react to me shooting them...lol. I could also just move a box down a hallway hiding behind it and no-one would notice me..that was hilarious to me by the time that game came out. I didn't want to insult the one game he may love (going by his avatar).

Back on subject....are there any "Limited/Collectors Editions" for this??

Guess I'm off to see if there are.

Looked through OP again and realized there's a Grand Wizard Edition. Hmmm

Top Bottom