• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Darklord

Banned
Yea, put off by the length. I'll grab it when it's cheap.

A 30-50 hour South Park game sounds awful and pretty tedious. No matter how good it is those characters and those jokes and that setting is going to get stale after such a huge amount of time. Turning something that's based on 20 minute episodes into 50 hours is too much. 10-20 hours sounds like a good length for a game like this.

Dario ff

Banned
The disappointment at the rumored 15-20 hours seems very weird given I just went through Paper Mario: TTYD, and that took about 27 hours. And I didn't rush through the thing either, in fact:
1) I did a lot of star piece hunting (which involved mostly methodically spin jumping and covering like every single area in the game). I even went to the fortune teller several times to get hints for that, which involves quite a few overly long animations every time.
2) I always went out of my way to get item upgrades and such, which included lots of backtracking to previous dungeons.
3) Three of the main chapters involve a lot of backtracking, and one of them is just a lot of guessing and backtracking through every single city in the game.

Not to mention that the game is pretty slow-paced compared to what I've seen from South Park so far. If this has such a quick pace like the show, I would expect a lot of value in those hours.

I did most of the side content as well, but I feel it's more important to point out the stuff I just didn't enjoy in this case. While it's not impossible this game ends up with some similar flaws, it does seem pretty unlikely given that most of what they had to do was cut content from the game, not pad it out even more. I haven't played the game so playing defense force right now might bite me back later, but I just find the current general view about the gameplay hours a bit weird.

In fact, I might've even done away with some of those extra hours in Paper Mario TTYD, given the design of the chapters gets a lot worse after
Chapter 6

liquidtmd

Banned
This 15-20hour thing, you've got to remember some early players just like to speed through for bragging rights.

Not excusing or downplaying reports, just saying in my exp these early reports don't actually tally to either my first play through or general time walking through and digging deeper / enjoying the atmosphere

I could have finished the main game / story in Skyrim in 7-10hours if I'd been inclined on my first play

Any deals for this going on PC/PS3? I want it, but I'd prefer to grab it on PC or something if there's a decent discount. US, if it matters.

GMG is sending out 20% off codes for pc/steam version all you need to do is register a free account with them and you should recieve an email

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Anything under 15 hours would make me a little dissapointed anything over is fine by me, 20 hours would be awesome.

Jibbed

Everyone's getting so hung up on the length, just chill out. The fact that it's 15-20 hours for most people is a great thing.

I don't see why that couldn't be pushed nearer to 30 if you explored everything.

Garland7G

I can't help but think the 10-15 hours is what THQ had when the game was gonna but a 20$ arcade/PSN title. now that UBI bought it, they polish it for another 6 months and release it for 60$. I'm not saying that's how it went down, but that's what I believe.

erawsd

Very few games that have exploration, are heavy in dialogue, have equipment (buying and selling), and have turn based combat are 10-20 hours. In fact, that's why most RPG are 25-40 hours.

In comparison with a FPS, RPG are slow: slow movement, back-pedalling in hub areas, exploring everything, comparing stats of weapons, slow combat, side quests, a fair amount of "dead time" between doing quests and advancing the story.

While this game has those elements, this game def doesn't seem to be as slow as most other RPGs.

There aren't any random encounters, most enemies seem to have deliberate placement, and it looks like you can avoid a lot of the combat by triggering things in the environment. The town is pretty small compared with other RPGs, fast travel is available right from the start, and you have infinite sprint.

They could easily have tweaked all those elements to raise the length of the game, which is why I suspect the game's length is meant to be fast paced compared with traditional RPGs.

Daffy Duck

While this game has those elements, this game def doesn't seem to be as slow as most other RPGs.

There aren't any random encounters, most enemies seem to have deliberate placement, and it looks like you can avoid a lot of the combat by triggering things in the environment. The town is pretty small compared with other RPGs, fast travel is available right from the start, and you have infinite sprint.

They could easily have tweaked all those elements to raise the length of the game, which is why I suspect the game's length is meant to be fast paced compared with traditional RPGs.

You only have fast travel once all flags are discovered.

erawsd

I can't help but think the 10-15 hours is what THQ had when the game was gonna but a 20$ arcade/PSN title. now that UBI bought it, they polish it for another 6 months and release it for 60$. I'm not saying that's how it went down, but that's what I believe.

I doubt Matt/Trey and even Obsidian would have spent 3 years working on a $20 XBL game. Scott Tennerman's Revenge is what you get for XBL release.

You only have fast travel once all flags are discovered.

Yeah but it looks like you unlock them very quickly.

What's given you that idea?

-MD-

Was $50 to preorder it when THQ was still around so nope.

I dont understand how people are complaining about value/playlength

Seems like this was made specifically for multiple playthroughs. I can only image some of Cartmans dialog weather you are black or a Jew or good lord BOTH.

Garland7G

I doubt Matt/Trey and even Obsidian would have spent 3 years working on a $20 XBL game. Scott Tennerman's Revenge is what you get for XBL release.
I don't think they thought it would have been as much work as it was
What's given you that idea?
It was suppose to be 20$ now Its 60$
Was $50 to preorder it when THQ was still around so nope.
Unless I'm not remembering correctly here (which could be the case) it was announced as a 20$ arcade type title and always seemed to be under THQ.

EDIT: I'm not complaining about length btw. 15-20 hours is perfect imo

It was always a full-price retail title:

2-covers.jpg

Social

In the config file of this game, you can disable warning screens, activate demo mode, specify the cencored archive file etc...

Easy to mod!

Jamie OD

Thanks for sharing that. As I read the interview, it got me thinking. Has there ever been a comedy style video game before (as in extremely funny writing)? I only ask because I couldn't honestly think of one and that's like the main reason I want this game, because I know its gonna be hilarious.

I found The Simpsons Game from 2007 to be pretty funny with their video game references and parodies but it was a bad game to play for the most part.

-MD-

Unless I'm not remembering correctly here (which could be the case) it was announced as a 20$ arcade type title and always seemed to be under THQ.

Must be mistaken because I've been following this game since the day it was announced and it was always intended to be a full priced retail game.

-GJ-

Am I the only one that remembers this game being announced at 20$?

I don't think it ever was. Here's an article about the unveiling.

In what is a bizarre turn of events, one that we didn't see coming at all, it appears that THQ and Obsidian will be joining forces to bring you South Park: The Game in 2012, a fully-blown retail RPG title.

Teased moments ago by Game Informer, who has the game on their next cover, South Park: The Game, which is an RPG and whose script has been penned by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone themselves, is described as an "ambitious project" and a "full-scale RPG," and will be hitting the PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

theytookourjobz

Even if the game is 12 hours long, that's still the equivalent of 30 24 minute long episodes of South Park. If that doesn't sound fucking amazing to you then maybe you should be playing another game.

Solidone

Neo Member
Ohhh mannnnnnn, why isn't this coming to next gen as well!? FUck!!!

I don't have a ps3 anymore.

Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggg ittt toooo neeextt gennnnnnn¨!!!!!!

Social

Where'd you learn this??
I need more info stat!!

It's just a list of the files and the contents of the config files. Not a lot of settings but they should all be easy to edit.

You can specify your cencored archive file or leave it empty to have it uncencored.

There are various graphical options such as the anti aliasing, motion blur etc..

Linius

Pfft, why did I only now found out this game is censored in Europe. Such a silly thing to do. Since I can't play an NTSC copy on my PAL 360 I can't do much about it I guess. Already ordered and paid the game last week anyways. Looking forward to it regardless :D

Top Bottom