• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

KePoW

Banned
Sure which is why I didn't expect it to be a 30 to 40+ hour game with branching paths and plenty of choices and consequences. i just don't think expecting 20 to 30 hours for a 60 dollar RPG is asking too much. South Park or not.

Edit: All I am saying is if i can do all the side quests, explore, and goof around a bt in less then 20 hours I will be slightly disappointed. If I can do all that in less then 15 I will be very unhappy that they had the balls to charge 60 bucks for it.

But lots of SP games nowdays are 10 to 20 hours long, what difference does it make that it's an RPG?

Given the prices of new games are all the same nowdays ($50-$60), I don't see why the genre matters?

I've played a lot of SP FPS'es of the same length and still had fun with them and bought at full price.

I'd be happy with any length over 15+

Granted I'm a bit biased because I got it for cheap, but that seems like a decent length for a game - regardless of genre. 30 hours plus might be too long for me, actually - that's a hell of a long time for a game.

I just hope that the side missions are decent and well fleshed out, and not there simply for the sake of it.

Above a certain number, length really becomes just an arbitrary number.

Almighty

But lots of SP games nowdays are 10 to 20 hours long, what difference does it make that it's an RPG?

Given the prices of new games are all the same nowdays ($50-$60), I don't see why the genre matters?

I've played a lot of SP FPS'es of the same length and still had fun with them and bought at full price.

Because RPGs to me generally mean games with meaty content and not a flashy cinematic 4 hour experiences. RPGs have always been longer then most other genres therefor I expect them to remain that way. To the best of my knowledge FPSes for example have never had 30+ hour SP campaigns so expecting one to out of nowhere is kind of silly. Blame the people who made them back in the day for setting my expectations that RPG means many hours of gameplay.

Edit: Also I don't often buy 12 hour games for 60 bucks no matter the genre. I will wait for Steam sales or rent it from Gamefly.

From what I understand, the game is consistently delivering story and character. It's not like they tell you to fuck off to some empty HD town and tell you to grind around for 10 hours.

Salsa

From what I understand, the game is consistently delivering story and character. It's not like they tell you to fuck off to some empty HD town and tell you to grind around for 10 hours.

it seems pretty packed/dense content-wise

im confident that even if it's a bit short by most people's standards, there won't be filler

Also, Matt and Trey are behind this thing like 100%, so the odds of it sucking is slim to none. I have faith.
I doubt that they have the power to pull the plug if it sucks, they probably signed a deal after being shown some proof of concept and get to do the writing and that is where their influence will end
ubisoft pull the strings

not saying the game has to be shit , but I wouldn't assume anything just because Matt and Trey have their name and brand on it

I really hope the game is good, I love south park

Just a few more days before we can know

Salsa

People are really complaining when this game is (apparently) around the same length as Chrono Trigger? I mean come on.

I mean.. I really don't care about game length at all if it ends where it should and feels right, but you're talking about a game with 13 endings there dude, lol

RPGCrazied

Do we know what the engine is for the console versions? Its not UE 3 is it? I hope not. New Vegas was pretty unplayable on PS3, which is the system I want to get South Park for.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The big thing about the game from what ive seen in terms of time is that the combat seems to be hand placed. While there might be some random encounters all the demos and previews have shown areas filled with enemies that can be seen on the screen. On top of that it seems like many of the encounters can be bypassed completely by utilizing the environment to defeat them which would cut down on grinding battles even more.

Even at 12 hours the length isnt even a concern for me.

Salsa

I hope it's not as much of a reference-fest as it is just funny on it's own

it's probably an unpopular opinion but I havent caught up with South Park in a while, even when I love it (need to fix that)

UnrealEck

So the console versions have leaked on the internet. Time to put your spoiler hats on.

As usual. Console games seem to get leaked/pirated sometimes weeks before release. I guess digital only can help prevent things like this, but it won't stop piracy after the release.

Almighty

Also, Matt and Trey are behind this thing like 100%, so the odds of it sucking is slim to none. I have faith.

I am confident as well. Based on what i have seen this game is going to be on the short list for my game of the year. I probably won't win unless Pillars of Eternity is delayed to 2015 though, but it will be on the list. Even with all my talk about length the poster who said he beat it in 16 to 18 hours is a little short, but nothing major. Makes me pretty confident with my play style I will hit 20 minimum(i spend a lot of time messing around looking for easter eggs) and that isn't even talking about any replayability the game might have. Also as i said before I got the game for 22 bucks so I am in a very lenient mood.

adj_noun

Matt Stone has a new interview with Spike.

Anytime I hear them talk about the game, I'm convinced we may never see another one lol

mnNUszr.jpg

Pictured: two tired dudes (at VGX)

J3ffro

I'm going to pile into the camp of very happy people at that length. Married and I have a four month old daughter, gaming time is becoming more and more rare by the day (literally had to schedule an afternoon four weeks out to coordinate playing EDF with two buddies in similar situations) - and as a result I've had to realize there are certain games I just can't play because of the amount of time required. Sub 20 hours for this would be perfect for me.

adj_noun

Ok, this was promising:

Matt especially ran a high-pressure writers room, intended to generate meaningfully funny responses to all those things.

A lot of other people - bluntly, people that come out of linear media - would not have even bothered. They would have said, "eh, not my thing. I'm going to stick to structure, because that's what I care about." But, reactivity; there aren’t many games that have gone there.

There are old LucasArts adventure games where there are a few cases where experimental play turns into a punch line, but you didn’t have a lot of tools to experiment with. This game has a full suite of action tools, and growth choices, like which class you're playing effects some of these jokes.

That's why I was attracted to the project, because they were willing to say, "yeah, okay, there's going to be this narcissistic tornado in the middle of all of our jokes, and we're going to account for that."

Aspiring

Has there been any reports of if the PS3 version is good? I would rather buy this on PS3 but am not sure if I should change it? I currently have it on 360 pre ordered.

Has there been any reports of if the PS3 version is good? I would rather buy this on PS3 but am not sure if I should change it? I currently have it on 360 pre ordered.

pretty sure the ps3 version was the first version to be leaked online...so there will be some impressions soon i would imagine

Dub117

Shit, as a fairly new gaffer should I go dark on this thread, or does it stay spoiler free at least until the 4th usually?

Top Bottom