• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

-MD-

Shit, as a fairly new gaffer should I go dark on this thread, or does it stay spoiler free at least until the 4th usually?

Always a possibility to catch a spoiler on this site but that's usually met with a ban or firm scolding.

Hearing from a friend who has the PS3 version now he says so far it seems to be running smooth. Though he just started playing it. Least it's something on PS3 version.

Mayyhem

Been thinking about whether I should get this on PC or 360. I'm thinking probably PC since my Xbone is plugged in and don't really wanna dig up the 360. What's the cheapest way to get it on PC guys?

yeah watching a stream of the ps3 version seems to load a bit between every scene even with installs, its like a second or 2 but it is noticeable to start battles and cutscenes

Ok, this was promising:

Yep, I already got that sense just from watching the opening gameplay footage, where Cartman's jokes are different based on things like the race of your character, and the same philosophy seems to be present for when you have different party members accompanying you to different areas. It feels very unique to how you choose to play the game.

First stream I've seen of it. Coincidentally the game was leaked just a short while ago. But I'm sure he just got it from his uncle who works at the local game store.

yeah no clue where the guy got the copy but he's playing thief and is a bit past the 7 minute gameplay demo that came out a while back with
Jimmy the Bard

edit: area loads seem to take a bit longer too

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
yeah watching a stream of the ps3 version seems to load a bit between every scene even with installs, its like a second or 2 but it is noticeable to start battles and cutscenes

That is fine, how's the frame rate though ? Can't get stream to work at my work.

That is fine, how's the frame rate though ? Can't get stream to work at my work.

doesn't look like 60fps to me, but it may just be the stream cause I'm getting some hiccups. Though it is a turned based rpg so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think I'm actually gonna stop watching, he got past where previous footage has shown and I've already seen one great joke :)

erawsd

doesn't look like 60fps to me, but it may just be the stream cause I'm getting some hiccups. Though it is a turned based rpg so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think I'm actually gonna stop watching, he got past where previous footage has shown and I've already seen one great joke :)

Yeah, I just looked at the archive to see some Thief gameplay since we hadn't seen any so far. After seeing all four I'm thinking I'll go Mage for my first play.

I don't think its running 60FPS, its hard to tell anyway since the South Park animation style is not fluid anyway.

Yeah, I just looked at the archive to see some Thief gameplay since we hadn't seen any so far. After seeing all four I'm thinking I'll go Mage for my first play.

I don't think its running 60FPS, its hard to tell anyway since the South Park animation style is not fluid anyway.

I asked the streamer and he says its generally fine but it hiccups once in a while

FrankWza

i peaked at the trophies and it looks like you have to
play as jew class in order to get 1 or 2 trophies. i didn see any class related but didnt read the secret ones so....

FrankWza

Yeah, I'm thinking about putting this on my SSD considering how small the file size is. I just realized that Gamefly emailed me my code for preloading earlier today, so I'll do that first thing in the morning.

You should he fine on pc either way. I was commenting on the ps3 version

Garland7G

Matt Stone has a new interview with Spike.

Anytime I hear them talk about the game, I'm convinced we may never see another one lol

Thanks for sharing that. As I read the interview, it got me thinking. Has there ever been a comedy style video game before (as in extremely funny writing)? I only ask because I couldn't honestly think of one and that's like the main reason I want this game, because I know its gonna be hilarious.

Warewolf

Thanks for sharing that. As I read the interview, it got me thinking. Has there ever been a comedy style video game before (as in extremely funny writing)? I only ask because I couldn't honestly think of one and that's like the main reason I want this game, because I know its gonna be hilarious.

Dozens have tried, but for some reason comedy seems to be really hard to translate to the player when used in games, the most recent success at this would be Jazz Punk for sure.

My local game store sold out of South Park. Mom and pop stores may not be a good indicator for final sales, but the lines were crazy!

NEO0MJ

My local game store sold out of South Park. Mom and pop stores may not be a good indicator for final sales, but the lines were crazy!

I wonder how many kids will end up owning this game, especially in areas where parents might not be aware of just how offensive this game can be.

Mondy

Banned
is George Clooney going to be voicing a dog?

George will be retaining his most common role as a plank of wood....Oh sorry, wrong animated show.

Karma-Plank-is-watching-you-ed-edd-and-eddy-15132207-400-300.jpg

There are a bunch of funny games I can think of, but Conker's Bad Fur Day is probably the purest "comedy game" that comes to mind. It's very comparable to South Park in terms of nonstop offensive jokes and I love it.

Great game. Just wait until you open the random neighbors front doors:) most fun I've ever had with a RPG and they really have made it feel like you are playing an episode of the show. There are some technical issues like the stuttering when loading different sections of the town and I had one hard lock on the inventory screen but its hugely addicting. I should have been in bed 4 hours ago but I couldn't stop playing. Go buy this when you can, its incredible.

Social

It seems like it's going to be REALLY easy for people to uncencor this game, at least on PC. Changing a few data files that are included and presto!

Skunkers

Any deals for this going on PC/PS3? I want it, but I'd prefer to grab it on PC or something if there's a decent discount. US, if it matters.

But lots of SP games nowdays are 10 to 20 hours long, what difference does it make that it's an RPG?

Given the prices of new games are all the same nowdays ($50-$60), I don't see why the genre matters?

I've played a lot of SP FPS'es of the same length and still had fun with them and bought at full price.

Very few games that have exploration, are heavy in dialogue, have equipment (buying and selling), and have turn based combat are 10-20 hours. In fact, that's why most RPG are 25-40 hours.

In comparison with a FPS, RPG are slow: slow movement, back-pedalling in hub areas, exploring everything, comparing stats of weapons, slow combat, side quests, a fair amount of "dead time" between doing quests and advancing the story.

Mondy

Banned
Great game. Just wait until you open the random neighbors front doors:) most fun I've ever had with a RPG and they really have made it feel like you are playing an episode of the show. There are some technical issues like the stuttering when loading different sections of the town and I had one hard lock on the inventory screen but its hugely addicting. I should have been in bed 4 hours ago but I couldn't stop playing. Go buy this when you can, its incredible.

Early Game of the Year contender?

Top Bottom