• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Milennia

I realize it's more fun to get angry at game journalists on the Internet than it is to try to have some empathy and see things from other people's perspectives, but let me break this down for you.

Here are the options:

A) Reviewer turns down early copy of game from publisher and is therefore unable to inform readers about a game either before or when it comes out.

B) Reviewer accepts early copy of game from publisher under embargo, and is able to inform readers about a game either on or before release date.

The only people who might actually suggest that option A is better for readers are the people who spend their spare time getting mad at the nebulous concept of "game journalism" because... I don't know. Do you get your thrills out of berating people on the Internet? Did a game journalist murder your parents? Do you think game journalists should pirate games or find some other way to magick up embargo-free review copies so they can report technical flaws without the restrictions attached when a publisher does the courtesy of sending out early copies of their game?

And, yes, it is a courtesy. We are not entitled to early copies of any video game, just like you are not obligated to spend your money on them. If you're worried about technical issues, wait for games to come out. Don't pre-order blindly. Have some patience. Wait a few days before purchasing anything. You say "the gaming press is not telling the consumer about it until it is too late," as if you can't muster up the self-control to not buy a product until you know more about it. Sometimes you won't see reviews until release day. Deal with it. There are many things worth complaining about in the world of cold, corporate game publishers; review embargoes are not one of them.

If game journalists don't sufficiently cover a game's issues after it comes out, then sure, by all means, bitch all you want. Except - wait - game websites have extensively reported every recent video game disaster I can remember, from Diablo 3 to SimCity to that ridiculous game War Z. Yet you're complaining that the press isn't telling you enough? Because you'll find out about South Park at 3am on Tuesday instead of the day before? Because you believe that the press are participating in "the hype machine" by agreeing to the conditions set by publishers who give us access to games that they certainly are under no obligation to give us access to?

I've seen you bitch about game journalism non-stop for a long time now on this website, SneakyStephan, and I think you're out of your mind. There are a whole lot of problems with this field - and the media world in general - but you just continue to miss the forest for the distracting little trees. Get a grip. Get some perspective. Find a better hobby than bitching about game journalism 24/7 on NeoGAF. And for god's sake, if you're going to complain, at least pick the right targets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... kindly shut the fuck up.

Damn.
I always assumed it was the case of A&B.
It isn't their job to hand out early copies of games and if you request an early copy for a review, you must abide by their rules.
Makes sense, this was a good read.

-MD-

aOm7DDj.jpg

That guy's day is ruined now. Why'd you have to go and hurt his feelings, Kotaku guy?

Kadin

Jason's great response here. Snipped for length.
Yup, what J said. I have to completely agree with this. I think there's a lot of undue hate thrown on game journalists. Some of it has merit but most of it doesn't. I think it's an easy attack for people to unleash who are unhappy for whatever reason. I'm not sure I could do it.

theytookourjobz

He just thinks he can do your job better and with more "integrity", Jason. He would be in there asking the tough questions, getting all the hot scoops, breaking all the latest dirt, publisher relations be damned.

I realize it's more fun to get angry at game journalists on the Internet than it is to try to have some empathy and see things from other people's perspectives, but let me break this down for you.

Here are the options:

A) Reviewer turns down early copy of game from publisher and is therefore unable to inform readers about a game either before or when it comes out.

B) Reviewer accepts early copy of game from publisher under embargo, and is able to inform readers about a game either on or before release date.

The only people who might actually suggest that option A is better for readers are the people who spend their spare time getting mad at the nebulous concept of "game journalism" because... I don't know. Do you get your thrills out of berating people on the Internet? Did a game journalist murder your parents? Do you think game journalists should pirate games or find some other way to magick up embargo-free review copies so they can report technical flaws without the restrictions attached when a publisher does the courtesy of sending out early copies of their game?

And, yes, it is a courtesy. We are not entitled to early copies of any video game, just like you are not obligated to spend your money on them. If you're worried about technical issues, wait for games to come out. Don't pre-order blindly. Have some patience. Wait a few days before purchasing anything. You say "the gaming press is not telling the consumer about it until it is too late," as if you can't muster up the self-control to not buy a product until you know more about it. Sometimes you won't see reviews until release day. Deal with it. There are many things worth complaining about in the world of cold, corporate game publishers; review embargoes are not one of them.

If game journalists don't sufficiently cover a game's issues after it comes out, then sure, by all means, bitch all you want. Except - wait - game websites have extensively reported every recent video game disaster I can remember, from Diablo 3 to SimCity to that ridiculous game War Z. Yet you're complaining that the press isn't telling you enough? Because you'll find out about South Park at 3am on Tuesday instead of the day before? Because you believe that the press are participating in "the hype machine" by agreeing to the conditions set by publishers who give us access to games that they certainly are under no obligation to give us access to?

I've seen you bitch about game journalism non-stop for a long time now on this website, SneakyStephan, and I think you're out of your mind. There are a whole lot of problems with this field - and the media world in general - but you just continue to miss the forest for the distracting little trees. Get a grip. Get some perspective. Find a better hobby than bitching about game journalism 24/7 on NeoGAF. And for god's sake, if you're going to complain, at least pick the right targets.

I don't always agree with you, but I really enjoyed reading this.

Sneaky reminds me of "Warren" in Empire Records. Just give Sneaky a job at Kotaku already because that's all he really wants.

caleb1915

*Snipped cuz now i feel like a jerk*

:O

If anything giant bomb has taught me to give weight to alex navarros opinion on what he thinks are good games. He expressed confusion in the embargo so that makes me think it's not the usual suspect of a game with a release day embargo.

Here are the options:

wow

Here are the options:

omg-too-much.gif

Tell us how you really feel?

EDIT: goddamn got beat by a minute. new gif

Eusis

I can't blame him, some people just fail to see any room for compromise and take a full on "us or them" stance, even though you'd come off as a bratty little child to be given something for free only to break REASONABLE terms on using the free thing. I don't mean "you get this game but can only give it the best scores and give it rewards" in which case it would be best for everyone to blow off their copies and buy their own, but "stay quiet until this date, along with everyone else" which is meant to ensure an even playing field and so you don't get the opposite extreme, a gushing (or excessively cynical) review from some jackass who barely played the game, thus misleading everyone ANYWAY. Granted I'd prefer an embargo a few more days in advance, and there probably is the angle they want you to be baited by pre-order bonuses, but so it goes.

Plus usually someone gets the game before release or there's previews, so it seems to usually be a non-issue to me.

Ridley327

The back cover for PS3 says it's 720p and 360 is 1080i/1080p.

To be fair to the PS3 version, that listing is not at all indicative of the 360 version running at a higher res. That's just listing the resolutions you can output the game at, since the hardware scalar on the 360 can output at 1080p. It's assuredly 720p native like the PS3 version.

I think this thread needs a new rule to stop talking about the fucking length.

TMI12.png

the last few pages have reminded me of the tmi equasion

@ schreier, yes I'm the only one who doesn't trust gaming journalists on here, that's why we have those 200 page threads every few months when the latest shill is outed
You are still washing your hands of any responsibility regarding review embargos

I specifically said you won't speak out about problems until it is too late (the game is released and pre orders have been fulfilled) and yes after the launch they will generally report on it ,usually after half your colleagues spent the weeks leading up to launch defending the bullshit , (like simcity which you so smugly mention)

nice little ad hominem paragraph at the end too, very classy

You guys will love the game. Trust me. If you want to be able to control an episode of South Park and have a great story this game is for you. If you want funny dialogue like in South Park this game is for you. If you are a fan of South Park you will love this game period. If you want monotonous jrpg battles over and over thousands of times this game probably isn't for you, although there is plenty of fighting. It's totally worth $60 in my opinion.

Zane

Here are the options:

now thats paper

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
God damn that post was amazing. I like jschreier except for the fact that his review got me to waste $40 on Bravely Default, game sucked.

South Park has always been hit or miss for me but what I've seen from the game so far looks great. Shame the PS3 version seems like its kinda shit. Didn't expect this game to have trouble running on the PS3. Didn't think I'd be bummed out that there isn't a PS4 version but now I am.

LAM09

Seems like several games that have decided against releaaing on NG consoles seem to have backfired in a way. PS3 can't seem to handle games that are being released recently, and it shows that the hardware is outdated, which is already evident.

Damaniel

Banned

Here are the options:

Amen.

I've already pre-ordered, since all I need t know is that Matt and Trey were involved and that it's being developed by Obsidian - it might have technical issues, and it might not be 50 hours long, but one thing for sure is that it can't possibly suck for fans of the show. For anyone on the fence, waiting an extra 12 hours to pick up your copy (or whatever, depending on how much time there is between when the embargo lifts and when stores open) isn't going to be the end of the world.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
God damn that post was amazing. I like jschreier except for the fact that his review got me to waste $40 on Bravely Default, game sucked.

South Park has always been hit or miss for me but what I've seen from the game so far looks great. Shame the PS3 version seems like its kinda shit. Didn't expect this game to have trouble running on the PS3. Didn't think I'd be bummed out that there isn't a PS4 version but now I am.

Oh, really?

At least I still have my 360 then, heh.

Here are the options:

Should have closed with "you got a lot of growing up to do Stan, suck my balls" so I could have replied with "damn, that kid's cool, huh"

Man this thread has become fun, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the length of ground zeroes /s

*please dont post your thoughts on ground zeroes*

Lunzio

There are many reasons why I have already bought this game. Length does not deter me because of the pedigree of writing and the lore that is already established. There's just so much material that can be slipped into each scene that I'm excited to seek out.

Top Bottom