• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Yay, Got my Amazon Key for $45 (Preordered it back on December 24, 2012). I've been waiting awhile, but it's finally almost here. Preloading it now.

Astra

Futureshop charged my credit card today, and it looks like I got a free upgrade to the Grand Wizard Edition. I pre-ordered at $39.99, too. Nice!

liquidtmd

Banned
I know quantity is important but man, were in a situation now where a lot of people are pissing on developers and crapping all over their work without having played a single second with noticeably this and Ground Zeroes.

Imagine if you wrote a short story and had similar. Steven Kings Shawshank novella? "Pssssh fuck off King, not as big as Lord of The Rings. Lazy man!"

Admitedly this isnt marketed as a short story equivalent but I'm talking about the quality and enjoyment of the product. If its good, I'll take shorter any day of the week. If FFXIII taught people anything, if you can't say anything and get your game going without getting past the first 20hours, you need pacing assistance

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I know quantity is important but man, were in a situation now where a lot of people are pissing on developers and crapping all over their work without having played a single second with noticeably this and Ground Zeroes.

Imagine if you wrote a short story and had similar. Steven Kings Shawshank novella? "Pssssh fuck off King, not as big as Lord of The Rings. Lazy man!"

Admitedly this isnt marketed as a short story equivalent but I'm talking about the quality and enjoyment of the product. If its good, I'll take shorter any day of the week. If FFXIII taught people anything, if you can't say anything and get your game going without getting past the first 20hours, you need pacing assistance

I agree, but Ground Zeroes doesn't really fit the analogy. It was came into existence only because Konami felt that the development of MGS V was taking too long, and they couldn't force Kojima to release the full game in 2014.
MGS V has the weirdest promotional campaign I've seen in the last few years. The game isn't releasing for another 1.5 years, but they've been showing it off for over a year now.

liquidtmd

Banned
I agree, but Ground Zeroes doesn't really fit the analogy. It was came into existence only because Konami felt that the development of MGS V was taking too long, and they couldn't force Kojima to release the full game in 2014.
MGS V has the weirdest promotional campaign I've seen in the last few years. The game isn't releasing for another 1.5 years, but they've been showing it off for over a year now.

I was more referring to the sheer scale of people trash talking without having played the titles, but yes point taken - MGSV has had a damn weird promo campaign.

Kojima and people urge 'it'll be released when its gets released / patience' etc but when you've been teasing your product for over 12 months and still can't pin down when it'll be released I don't blame the audience for getting cranky.

I honest would have preferred nothing and media silence over MGSV from Kojima. If they'd said nothing and then in December '13 said 'right guys, MGSV prologue coming in three months and MGSV proper coming 12 months after I think wed be seeing a complete Kojima love in right now.

liquidtmd

Banned
Some of that weirdness was definitely fan generated though, namely that "CG or real" nonsense.

True...but were talking about responses to an interview conducted with a guy wrapped in bandages.

Anyway, sorry. Viva la South Park. This and Dark Souls 2 are my most anticipated titles for the next three-six months.

Wotanik

Banned

No. Stephen King sells you a novella, it's not a novel. Stick of Truth isn't sold to us as a "really short kind of RPG". These do not compare. I am at least one of these guys who likes their RPGs long, that I can spend at least 20+ hours in the world. Deus Ex:HR had good length, my playthrough was 26 hours. It was perfect for that kind of game. Now South Park seems like a "traditional" RPG, turn based combat and all that, and they actually offer mere 10 hours of gameplay. That is just awful. Only the South Park fanboys can justify that to themselves, really. I can't. It's a ripoff RPG.

liquidtmd

Banned
Then it is. Good for them then. I don't complain about the game itself, only the length I can't justify at all.

But if the end result is a person not buying it, it sends a message to devs that 30hours + will always be greater than 10 - 15 hours, regardless of content quality. Which will surely encourage dilution and padding / backtracking / grinding that everyone also hates.

Wotanik

Banned
But if the end result is a person not buying it, it sends a message to devs that 30hours + will always be greater than 10 - 15 hours, regardless of content quality. Which will surely encourage dilution and padding / backtracking / grinding that everyone also hates.

I honestly don't care what the devs think and do about game length issues. All that matters is what I, as a player, think what's right or wrong for me. And as a player I vote with my wallet. My money is not going towards South Park or GZ as they're too short for the value, IMHO. Also, we have no idea about the content quality of SP, everyone just thinks it's gonna be a long and awesome SP episode. I haven't watched the last 5-6 seasons of SP as it got a bit tedious and the script went downhill steadily. :/ I still like them, don't get me wrong! That said, I kinda wanted this to be a game I can play as I like Obsidian as well.

Linius

You should try to use the multi quote button Wotanik :)

Anyone knows a good retailer for Kid Robot figurines in Europe with normal shipping costs? I think I want the Cartman figurine. But American shops usually either don't ship here or for ridicilous rates which will mean I'll pay multiple times the price of the figurine just for shipping :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For you, yes. For me, no. There's no problem in this equation: for me = RPG + length = the best.

Surely your perspective on RPGs isn't so myopic. Even when the game is $5~$10 on Steam a year from now, will you still avoid it because the adventure isn't as grandiose as you'd hoped?

Edit: ^ Well, that was a nice coincidence!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I realize it's more fun to get angry at game journalists on the Internet than it is to try to have some empathy and see things from other people's perspectives, but let me break this down for you.

Here are the options:

A) Reviewer turns down early copy of game from publisher and is therefore unable to inform readers about a game either before or when it comes out.

B) Reviewer accepts early copy of game from publisher under embargo, and is able to inform readers about a game either on or before release date.

The only people who might actually suggest that option A is better for readers are the people who spend their spare time getting mad at the nebulous concept of "game journalism" because... I don't know. Do you get your thrills out of berating people on the Internet? Did a game journalist murder your parents? Do you think game journalists should pirate games or find some other way to magick up embargo-free review copies so they can report technical flaws without the restrictions attached when a publisher does the courtesy of sending out early copies of their game?

And, yes, it is a courtesy. We are not entitled to early copies of any video game, just like you are not obligated to spend your money on them. If you're worried about technical issues, wait for games to come out. Don't pre-order blindly. Have some patience. Wait a few days before purchasing anything. You say "the gaming press is not telling the consumer about it until it is too late," as if you can't muster up the self-control to not buy a product until you know more about it. Sometimes you won't see reviews until release day. Deal with it. There are many things worth complaining about in the world of cold, corporate game publishers; review embargoes are not one of them.

If game journalists don't sufficiently cover a game's issues after it comes out, then sure, by all means, bitch all you want. Except - wait - game websites have extensively reported every recent video game disaster I can remember, from Diablo 3 to SimCity to that ridiculous game War Z. Yet you're complaining that the press isn't telling you enough? Because you'll find out about South Park at 3am on Tuesday instead of the day before? Because you believe that the press are participating in "the hype machine" by agreeing to the conditions set by publishers who give us access to games that they certainly are under no obligation to give us access to?

I've seen you bitch about game journalism non-stop for a long time now on this website, SneakyStephan, and I think you're out of your mind. There are a whole lot of problems with this field - and the media world in general - but you just continue to miss the forest for the distracting little trees. Get a grip. Get some perspective. Find a better hobby than bitching about game journalism 24/7 on NeoGAF. And for god's sake, if you're going to complain, at least pick the right targets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... kindly shut the fuck up.

I could quite frankly Jason use those exact words to you and your bitching about Dragons Crowns over the top and silly character designs which I remember you crying over quite a bit just because you didn't like them. I don't hate you or anything btw it just makes me chuckle and I find it funnily ironic seeing you having a go at someone about shouting at the games press when that wasn't exactly one of your finer moments, as part of the games press, either.

erawsd

No. Stephen King sells you a novella, it's not a novel. Stick of Truth isn't sold to us as a "really short kind of RPG". These do not compare. I am at least one of these guys who likes their RPGs long, that I can spend at least 20+ hours in the world. Deus Ex:HR had good length, my playthrough was 26 hours. It was perfect for that kind of game. Now South Park seems like a "traditional" RPG, turn based combat and all that, and they actually offer mere 10 hours of gameplay. That is just awful. Only the South Park fanboys can justify that to themselves, really. I can't. It's a ripoff RPG.

I would agree that this probably isn't the game for the hardcore RPG fan that wants to spend weeks chipping away at the game.

However, it does seem like a game for someone that just wants to play something that is fun and funny as shit. I wouldn't say I'm a South Park fan boy, I haven't watched South Park on TV for 5 or 6 years -- this game is what got me interested in the series again.

Rich!

What about Chrono Trigger which is around the same length, or Paper Mario 2? Are those ripoff RPGs because of their length?

As for a more recent example, what about Mother 3 which is quite short too? No one could ever say they are awful games (they're some of the best ever made), so why would South Park be immediately deemed as shit because of the length?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I got an exclusive thing, but after Origin launched I saw the writing on the wall and now exclusively buy Ubisoft games on Uplay for neatness and future proofing.

I wouldn't call backing the wrong horse "future-proofing". Origin and Uplay are only going to be around for as long as EA and Ubi have a pillar to support them as virtually nobody uses either for third-party titles, plus Ubi has never pulled a game from Steam to prop up Uplay. GFWL should be the cautionary tale, not EA's Origin shenanigans (which I think will change soon enough).

Wotanik

Banned
What about Chrono Trigger which is around the same length, or Paper Mario 2? Are those ripoff RPGs because of their length?

As for a more recent example, what about Mother 3 which is quite short too? No one could ever say they are awful games (they're some of the best ever made), so why would South Park be immediately deemed as shit because of the length?

I haven't played these so I wouldn't know. These are from different era though, the standards were different.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I haven't played these so I wouldn't know. These are from different era though, the standards were different.

...clearly not. And Chrono Trigger cost 70 bucks and was in an era where there weren't 50 other RPGs to play that year. You had to make those 20 hours last,

theytookourjobz

I honestly don't care what the devs think and do about game length issues. All that matters is what I, as a player, think what's right or wrong for me. And as a player I vote with my wallet. My money is not going towards South Park or GZ as they're too short for the value, IMHO. Also, we have no idea about the content quality of SP, everyone just thinks it's gonna be a long and awesome SP episode. I haven't watched the last 5-6 seasons of SP as it got a bit tedious and the script went downhill steadily. :/ I still like them, don't get me wrong! That said, I kinda wanted this to be a game I can play as I like Obsidian as well.

You haven't seen the last 6 seasons of South Park but you still like them? They've most likely been writing this game during that time so I would expect something very similar. If you don't like South Park anymore, I doubt this will change your mind.

ZeroX03

Banned
Mother 3 came out in 2006. Paper Mario was a couple of years before.

Hardly a different era.

And Chrono Trigger was rereleased for DS in 2008, and iOS, Virtual Console and Android in 2011. Last I checked the DS and Wii versions were still very well received, can't say the 'different standards' had much of an impact there.

Wotanik

Banned
What are some of your favorite modern RPGs?

Define modern. Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Ni No Kuni, DE:HR (somehow skipped first DE), KOTORs, The Witchers, Ultima games since IV, some Final Fantasies including X, Morrowind, ME2 and so on. I got hooked to WoW so I missed some RPGs from vanilla to WotLK. I've wanted to get back to the NES/SNES era of RPGs, since I was mostly playing C64 games back then, then moved to Amiga 500 and PC (these had great classics like the D&D games, Eye of the Beholders and other dungeon crawlers). I bought PS2 near the end of the generation so I missed some good JRPGs there as well. I hope we get some old RPGs with Playstation Now as I'm not that fond of the emulators.

Wotanik

Banned
Mother 3 came out in 2006. Paper Mario was a couple of years before.

Hardly a different era.

That's almost 10 years ago. And seriously, almost all TV/Movie adaptated games suck. There are exceptions, but at least I'm not waiting anything that special out of this... and with around 10h playtime, no thanks. And in the end, that's my opinion, so why I even need to defend my position?

You haven't seen the last 6 seasons of South Park but you still like them? They've most likely been writing this game during that time so I would expect something very similar. If you don't like South Park anymore, I doubt this will change your mind.

Yes, I like what Trey and Matt are doing, it's really special, but I don't like how their stories, their scripts started to go downhill. Same happened to The Simpsons, haven't watched that in 10 years or so. I still think both have great first 6 or so seasons. What's wrong with that?

Rich!

Define modern. Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Ni No Kuni, DE:HR (somehow skipped first DE), KOTORs, The Witchers, Ultima games since IV, some Final Fantasies including X, Morrowind, ME2 and so on. I got hooked to WoW so I missed some RPGs from vanilla to WotLK. I've wanted to get back to the NES/SNES era of RPGs, since I was mostly playing C64 games back then, then moved to Amiga 500 and PC (these had great classics like the D&D games, Eye of the Beholders and other dungeon crawlers). I bought PS2 near the end of the generation so I missed some good JRPGs there as well. I hope we get some old RPGs with Playstation Now as I'm not that fond of the emulators.

The thing is, and this is totally fine, your experience is based on WRPGs which are very much world based and are nine times out of ten very long playing experiences. South Park is very much a JRPG through and through, with Trey and Matt citing Earthbound and Paper Mario as massive influences. These games are very much story and gameplay based, and favour shorter more concise experiences rather than the sprawling epics you are used to from the likes of Bethesda.

You're expecting something that you were never going to get with this game. Criticize it all you want, but doing so on the basis it isn't the length of Skyrim or Morrowind is completely incorrect - it's not supposed to be!

Top Bottom