• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Sudan becomes the world's newest nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN

Juba, South Sudan (CNN) -- South Sudanese wept openly as they celebrated their independence Saturday, cheering, whistling and dancing down the streets in a ceremony fitting for the birth of a new nation.

"We are free at last," some chanted, flags draped around their shoulders.

A man on his knees kissed the ground.

The red, white and green flag of the newborn nation, readied at half-mast the day before, was hoisted over the capital of Juba.

Among the world leaders bearing witness on this historic day: United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and South African President Jacob Zuma.

"This is liberation, a new chapter," said Abuk Makuac, who escaped to the United States in 1984 and came back home to attend the independence day activities.

"No more war. We were born in the war, grew up in the war and married in war."

South Sudan's sovereignty officially breaks Africa's largest nation into two, the result of a January referendum overwhelmingly approved by voters.

The referendum was part of a 2005 peace deal that ended decades of civil war pitting a government dominated by Arab Muslims in the north against black Christians and animists in the south. The war killed about 2 million people.

Amid the independence celebrations, some residents paid tribute to relatives killed in the war.

"It is very emotional. I'm excited, but I'm also thinking of all the people who died for this to happen," said Victoria Bol, who lost dozens of family members.

Salva Kiir Mayardit, a former rebel leader who is South Sudan's first president, said his people cannot forget years of bloodshed but must now forgive and move forward. He vowed his people would never again be marginalized.

"As we celebrate our freedom and independence today, I want to assure the people of Darfur, Abyei and South Kordofan, we have not forgotten you," he said referring to three conflict-mired regions.

"When you cry, we cry," he said. "When you bleed, we also bleed.

In Washington, President Barack Obama issued a statement recognizing South Sudan's sovereignty.

"Today is a reminder that after the darkness of war, the light of a new dawn is possible," Obama said. "A proud flag flies over Juba and the map of the world has been redrawn."

British Foreign Secretary William Hague told the dignitaries gathered that his nation has opened an embassy in Juba and appointed an ambassador.

Al-Bashir stood with his former enemies from South Sudan and congratulated them on their new homeland. He said he believed a united Sudan was still the best option but supported the dream of the South Sudanese.

The gracious tones sparked a ray of hope that the two sides would get past a bitter relationship to forge ahead. That journey will hardly be easy as many challenges await.

South Sudan is among the world's poorest, with scores who fled the long conflict coming home to a region that has not changed much over the years.

The infrastructure is still lacking -- with few paved roads in the new nation the size of Texas. Most villages have no electricity or running water.

South Sudan sits near the bottom of most human development indices, according to the United Nations, including the highest maternal mortality and female illiteracy rates.

Although the north has flourished, the South has not changed much over the years, said South Sudan native Moses Chol.

"They have schools and clean water, and their children are not dying of simple diseases," Chol said, referring to the north. "In the south, people still drink stagnant water. They have nothing."

There is also the threat of renewed fighting between the two neighbors.

Clashes have erupted recently in the disputed border regions of Abyei and South Kordofan.

And despite the 2005 peace deal brokered by the George W. Bush administration, forces aligned with both sides continue to clash.

Abyei was a battleground in the brutal civil war between forces of both sides. A referendum on whether the area should be part of the north or the South has been delayed amid disagreements on who is eligible to vote.

The two countries look set to divorce in name only -- they have not reached an agreement on the borders, the oil or the status of their respective citizens.

The U.N. Security Council, which voted to send up to 7,000 peacekeepers and 900 uniformed police to South Sudan, is expected to meet Wednesday to discuss U.N. membership for the new nation.

As dignitaries gathered in the new capital to celebrate the new nation, world leaders warned of a tough road ahead.

"Their economic prospects are dim unless the two sides can come to agreement on how to share precious resources, cooperate in other economic areas and together promote the viability and stability of each other," the U.S. special envoy to Sudan, Princeton N. Lyman, said in an editorial to CNN.

Lyman, who attended the ceremony, said both sides want food, education and security for their families.

"They want the freedom to be able to express their opinions, choose their leaders and become active participants in political and social life," he said.

South Sudan natives such as Makuac admit there are challenges ahead. However, she is pushing those thoughts to the back-burner for now.

"We have waited so long to get here ... I will worry about that later," she said. "This weekend, we celebrate."

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Congratulations.
Don't know why the world was so adamant on keeping country united in the first place. The cultures, and people are just so different.

Rad-

South Sudan is among the world's poorest, with scores who fled the long conflict coming home to a region that has not changed much over the years.

The infrastructure is still lacking -- with few paved roads in the new nation the size of Texas. Most villages have no electricity or running water.

South Sudan sits near the bottom of most human development indices, according to the United Nations, including the highest maternal mortality and female illiteracy rates.

Should have just named it Worst Sudan.

Pie Lord

Bad_Boy said:
korea.jpg

Loonz

I'm happy for the South Sudanese people that now have their own country, they now can get rid of the oppression from the north.

And at the same time it's sad to see how some religions make living together so impossible: the lack of agreement and respect... in one word, the bigotry between the 2 communities is disheartening, and perhaps a reminder of what to expect in the future.

Human kind has a loooong way to go yet.

xbhaskarx

Congratulations to South Sudan. Will Sudan remain Sudan or will they change their name to North Sudan?

Also I'm not sure this really addresses the issue of Darfur, where forces backed by the Sudanese government committed genocide against the non-Arab population. I'm pretty sure Darfur is still part of (north) Sudan....

Dali

Kurtofan said:
Nah it's the flag of Corsica:
Cstgd.png
It's cool in that it's different from any other flag I've seen, but it doesn't look cooler than that Flanders flag to me. The Imperial Japanese Army flags are pretty cool too and as bad as it may sound, I can't deny Nazi Third Reich flags have a certain flare.

It's good for the South Sudanese people that they finally get a nation of their own. That being said, conflict in both North Sudan and South Sudan is far from over. South Sudan is struggling internally as tribal militias take up arms against the South Sudanese federal government. The disputed city of Abyei may cause another Northern-Southern war. Heavy conflict in Darfur may reemerge as Darfuri rebels might become emboldened by South Sudan's independence. The states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile State may attempt to join the South, causing the North and South to fight over these regions. It doesn't help that there is oil in South Sudan and along the border of the North and South. It is not hard to figure they will fight over oil fields and pipelines.

South Sudan also has a lot to build before they can sustain development. They lack schools, hospitals, homes, etc. The vast majority of the population is illiterate. South Sudan is one of the poorest nations in the world, far poorer than it's northern counterpart. However, South Sudan has a lot of resources at it's disposal, with oil and some of the most fertile farmland. While South Sudan has ways to go, independence is definitely a huge step in the right direction. South Sudan should be able to prosper more without the North draining it's resources such as oil. I always find it touching to see people celebrating in the streets like that.

But yeah, the independence of South Sudan is only the beginning of separatism in North Sudan. The road is long of both of the Sudanese nations. By the way, the flag of South Sudan was the flag of the Sudanese People's Liberation Army, the rebel group that fought for South Sudan's independence.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Congrats South Sudan.

Will Sudan be now called North Sudan?

NekoFever

They've applied for the .ss TLD. I can't wait to see what fucked up websites get put on there if they get it.

Iceman said:
so what happens to Darfur in all this?

The whole of the region of Darfur will remain with northern Sudan. There was supposed to be a referendum deciding the permanent status (whether to have autonomy or not) this year but it was delayed by a year. The conflict in Darfur is separate from the conflict with the South. However, South Sudanese independence could very well flare up Darfur again.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So do we have South Sudan GAF already?
Raise your hand South Sudan GAF! And congrats of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom