• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SP sales skyrocket in UK after price drop (150% rise in sales)

Alcibiades

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=4650

This weekend, Game Boy Advance SP sales in the UK were up over 150% compared to the same period the previous week, with some retailers seeing hardware sales leap by over 400%.

Software sales also received a significant boost this weekend with a 36% increase in sales across the Game Boy Advance software range.

David Yarnton, General Manager, Nintendo UK said, "The UK installed base for the Game Boy Advance SP now totals over 1.2 million. Since we launched the Game Boy Advance SP in March 2003, the console has exceeded all expectations and continues to go from strength to strength. This recent price drop enables us to offer gamers everywhere the Game Boy Advance SP at its most affordable price ever".

nubbe

I am considering picking up 2 new GBA units since the drop… NES edition and Triforce (when/if it is available)

Vashu

And with the release of Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, I am sure the sales will continue to be high the next period. The release of the aforementioned TriForce (Zelda Bundle) and Mario (Mario vs Donkey Kong Bundle) GBA SP editions will help of course.

I got a GBA SP myself last month, modified by a friend of mine. It's now red (outer casing) and silver (inner casing). Looks pretty rad, even though I say it myself. Now I only need an Autobot (Generation 1) see-through sticker, and my GameBoy Advance SP Autobot edition is a fact... :p

Only need a TF game on the thing though :D

Dagon

And just imagine how many more games would have sold if the Game Boy Advance games weren't so overpriced in the UK. £30-35 (that's about $50-60) for a GBA game is a little ridiculous.

jarrod

Banned
I honestly wouldn't doubt if the UK was GBA's weakest region in terms of marketshare. It's always been tough for Nintendo there....

miyuru

explodet said:
Hardware sales up 150%, software sales up 36%.

Gotta love that handheld tie ratio!

Sarcasm aside, you could also take those figures as saying that hardware sales were generally low, while software sales were much higher on a per unit ratio. So really, maybe the tie-in ratio is still pretty good.

Vashu

GBA games go in The Netherlands for like... €49.95.. That would be about $61... Also, the GBA SP itself goes for €99.95, which is 123.25 USD. Seeing that the GBA SP in the US is up for grabs at the impossible price of $79.99, converts to roughly €65 euro's should prove that we in Europe are being screwed over by ALL the gamecompanies...

Not just Sony, or Microsoft, Nintendo does the same thing... Over, and over, and over, and over again..... But do we start to boycott them? No, cause what we get is so good, we deal with the anal tactics and continue to buy their games and consoles and shit...

*sigh*.... A gamer's life is so hard..... :D

Deg

Banned
Dagon said:
And just imagine how many more games would have sold if the Game Boy Advance games weren't so overpriced in the UK. £30-35 (that's about $50-60) for a GBA game is a little ridiculous.

You've been living on the moon or something? :p Those are N-gage games prices although you can find them on clearance or discount in places. GBA games prices are £29.99 absolute max offline. Shop online and you'll get brand new games for £22.50(almost 30% off).

GBA games go in The Netherlands for like... €49.95.. That would be about $61... Also, the GBA SP itself goes for €99.95, which is 123.25 USD. Seeing that the GBA SP in the US is up for grabs at the impossible price of $79.99, converts to roughly €65 euro's should prove that we in Europe are being screwed over by ALL the gamecompanies...

Not just Sony, or Microsoft, Nintendo does the same thing... Over, and over, and over, and over again..... But do we start to boycott them? No, cause what we get is so good, we deal with the anal tactics and continue to buy their games and consoles and shit...

*sigh*.... A gamer's life is so hard.....

Yep we pay more for everything.

Top Bottom