• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

How would the 'gravity wheel' even work?
I presume centrifugal force, since that's the only way we know how to create artificial gravity.

The living quarters are rotating fast enough (if it's something big, it's actually not that fast) that you can achieve something "close enough" to normal gravity on the inside of the wheel. The number I've seen is 0.4 G to avoid negative health effects, though I don't know if that's accurate or not.

In this case the front part of the enterprise would be big a rotating disc. "down" would be to the sides of the rotating disc. As you got closer to the center, e.g. warehouses and the radiation shelter, the pseudo-gravity would be less.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The wheel is the main saucer area.

The inside surface of the wheel is perpendicular to the interior walking surface. From the profile view the 'wheel' is a flat ellipse, meaning that it would generate gravity along the 'left and the right' walls in the saucer's interiors. Not sure why the entire outside hull should be spinning when they could just make the interior compartment spin inside the shell?

The inside surface of the wheel is perpendicular to the interior walking surface. From the profile view the 'wheel' is a flat ellipse, meaning that it would generate gravity along the 'left and the right' walls in the saucer's interiors. Not sure why the entire outside hull should be spinning when they could just make the interior compartment spin inside the shell?
The interior walking surface would be multi-level with 'left and right' as down. Levels closer to the center would be at reduced gravity (ultimately at 0 gravity), and have much smaller floorplans.

As for "making the interior compartment spin inside the shell", I'm not sure what advantage that gives us. We already need the thing that's spinning to have a wide diameter (e.g. the whole front section of the ship) so we can get good gravitational results with a lower rpm.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The interior walking surface would be multi-level with 'left and right' as down. Levels closer to the center would be at reduced gravity (ultimately at 0 gravity), and have much smaller floorplans.

As for "making the interior compartment spin inside the shell", I'm not sure what advantage that gives us. We already need the thing that's spinning to have a wide diameter (e.g. the whole front section of the ship) so we can get good gravitational results with a lower rpm.

Structural rigidity. i imagine if we could actually pull this kind of thing of 3 feet of hull material wouldn't make a huge difference. Replacing moving parts inside of a pressurized cabin would be considerably easier.

Structural rigidity. i imagine if we could actually pull this kind of thing of 3 feet of hull material wouldn't make a huge difference. Replacing moving parts inside of a pressurized cabin would be considerably easier.
I can't visualize how a shell alleviates structural concerns. The wheel can only be rigidly (not sure I'm using this word the same way you are) connected at its center, which I'll admit does make this and any other spaceship design invoking a stanford torus an engineering nightmare.

Repairs is an interesting case, though I'm not sure it justifies the shell on its own. That I think reduces to simple accounting (cost doing occasional repairs in vacuum VS cost to build/maintain/pressurize shell), and there's no way to tell one way or the other until we try.

e: sorry about the 12 edits, I'm done now I promise!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can't visualize how a shell alleviates structural concerns. Repairs is an interesting case, though I'm not sure it justifies the shell on its own.

i see your point. I just don't find exposing moving parts to sub zero temperatures and extreme radiation a good idea.

i see your point. I just don't find exposing moving parts to sub zero temperatures and extreme radiation a good idea.
Agreed about the temperatures -- though I think that problem is solvable (screen direct sunlight, every ship gets a pair of sunglasses!).

Radiation is a gross problem that we're just going to have to work around.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Agreed about the temperatures -- though I think that problem is solvable (screen direct sunlight, every ship gets a pair of sunglasses!).

Radiation is a gross problem that we're just going to have to work around.

To be fair its not just radiation. metal grinding on metal is the natural order of moving parts. We cant have space freezing or radiation melting the lubricant. Its simply more elegant to do it in some sort of an encasing.

Agreed, bearing in mind that the "moving parts" here are the few sections where the (spinning) wheel are connected to the rest of the ship. (engines, etc)

The wheel itself is static from its frame of reference, it's the rest of the universe that's rotating around it.

bearing in mind, yeah that's right

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Agreed, bearing in mind that the "moving parts" here are the few sections where the (spinning) wheel are connected to the rest of the ship. (engines, etc)

The wheel itself is static from its frame of reference, it's the rest of the universe that's rotating around it.

bearing in mind, yeah that's right

Rofl..we're sounding almost like we know what we're talking about.

Yeah, the major problem with the Enterprise is that it takes $4000 to put a pound of material into orbit.
Which is why we need to give NASA a bigger budget, so they can invent the technology to drive the cost down and absorb the expense in the meantime. (we're already doing this with the commerical "space race" -- driven by funding from NASA. We just need the GOP to not cripple their funding)

Investment, dudes!

I wouldn't want to use the exact figure, since the orbiters were expensive as hell, but take out an order of magnitude to be extemely optimistic: $400 per lb is still obscenely pricey for anybody who doesn't print their own money.

Not a big believer in space elevators.

I hope to be proven wrong, and maybe if I looked into the materials science I'd become a true believer, but... afaik, we're talking about applying a material that doesn't exist yet.

ianp622

Not a big believer in space elevators.

I hope to be proven wrong, and maybe if I looked into the materials science I'd become a true believer, but... afaik, we're talking about applying a material that doesn't exist yet.

It exists, but there are some barriers to large scale fabrication that still need to be worked out.

Kyaw

The whole spinning torus thing reminds me of this from 2001:

2001-Space-Odyssey-crews1.jpg

After watching Contact I've decided to watch Cosmos. Is much of this factually incorrect by today's standards? I'm about halfway through the first episode and I'm loving every moment of it.

Carl Sagan is to astrology as Bob Ross is to painting. I can listen to this guy talk about the universe for a long long time.

KarmaCow

After watching Contact I've decided to watch Cosmos. Is much of this factually incorrect by today's standards? I'm about halfway through the first episode and I'm loving every moment of it.

Carl Sagan is to astrology as Bob Ross is to painting. I can listen to this guy talk about the universe for a long long time.

Come on. :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No, most/all of what Carl Sagan was speaking about during the Cosmos years is still applicable, though some details have since been fleshed out a bit more (evolutionary gaps, higgs/boson, dark energy/matter, etc).

If you watch Cosmos front to back and are able to repeat it back to someone else well enough for that person to understand wtf you were talking about, you'd be scientifically more literate than the vast majority of anyone on the planet.

We all strongly suggest following up Cosmos with Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe. Be wary of things with Morgan Freeman and/or Steven Hawking attached. They're quite good honestly, but get really, really far out there into theoretical physics but use really goofy visuals and examples to explain stuff.

I was amazed at the first episode how Sagan chronicled early scientists. I sort of remember learning about this but not at the depth that Sagan went into it.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll continue watching.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I was amazed at the first episode how Sagan chronicled early scientists. I sort of remember learning about this but not at the depth that Sagan went into it.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll continue watching.

Is that the one where he talks about how the Egyptians knew the Earth was round based? Phenomenal.

Least favorite episode of Cosmos is the one about Kepler, it dragged on a bit I felt. Otherwise probably my favorite TV show/Documentary series.

Hootie

I just ordered a bunch of books to read this summer, among them "Dragons of Eden" by Sagan and "The Anthropic Cosmological Principle" by Barrow & Tipler. Can't wait to dive into these babies =D

Yeah, I'll have to agree. It's been the one that's barely held my attention. I really enjoyed the Mars one I just watched.

I'm amazed Sagan, despite his unfortunate passing, doesn't get more press today.

Top Bottom