• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Fantastic. I hope it works flawlessly. This is the kind of technology we need to take space travel to the next level. It's sad that NASA started to develop this very technology decades ago but was forced to abandon it due to budget cuts. At least someone is seriously working on it now. Maybe I'll actually get to see an affordable low Earth orbit in my lifetime yet...

Truly, the end of an era.

rYyvt.jpg

And 35 years ago they met for the first time.

TWdgy.jpg

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.

i've only actually seen it once (i was born the year it happened) and I can't bring myself to watch it again. I get teary just thinking about it.

The craziest thing about it though, is some crew survived the disintegration, and only died when the shuttle actually hit the water. They had no means of ejecting or anything.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm so excited about all of the recent developments in private space R&D. It's sad that we have to place our hopes in companies and not in the government, but at least someone is looking toward the future.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Here are some videos of the Enterprise flying into NY.

This one was taken from the ground and has a good, clear view of it flying over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NxacgimtIk

Another vid flying in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhwiBLPA-8k

Here is a shot of Enterprise landing, taken from someone on the tarmac in another plane. That must have been cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ASL0oS5ksU

A video of Enterprise flying over JFK, landing, and taxiing in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nbvK4OdAZc

And here is Enterprise leaving Washington for the last time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DKTyIPRas

So they're revising the # of habitable planets figure again. More planets around red dwarf stars could potentially support liquid water.

A new estimate of the number of habitable planets orbiting the most common type of stars in our galaxy could have huge consequences for the search for life.

According to a recent study, tens of billions of planets around red dwarfs are likely capable of containing liquid water, dramatically increasing the potential to find signs of life somewhere other than Earth.

Red dwarfs are stars that are fainter, cooler and less massive than the sun. These stars, which typically also live longer than Class G stars like the sun, are thought to make up about 80 percent of the stars in the Milky Way, astronomers have said.

Red dwarfs generally have not been considered viable candidates for hosting habitable planets. Since red dwarfs are small and dim, the habitable zone surrounding them — the region where an orbiting planet's surface water can remain liquid — is relatively close to them.

"The habitable zone would be very, very small. Consequently, the chances that you would actually find any planet at the right distance from the sun to be attractive to life was likely to be small, too," said Seth Shostak, a senior astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute in Mountain View, Calif. [The Strangest Alien Planets]

But the study, based on data from the European Space Agency's HARPS spectrograph in Chile, used a sample of 102 red dwarfs to estimate that 41 percent of the dim stars might be hiding planets in their habitable zone.

"The number of habitats might increase by a factor of 8 or 10," Shostak told SPACE.com.

One of the largest concerns about planets circling red dwarfs is radiation. A red dwarf's habitable zone is generally closer to it than Mercury is to our sun, so a planet there would receive a strong shock of particles when storms erupted on the red dwarf.

"They could essentially give everything on the surface that's exposed to the sky ... a heavy dose of radiation," Shostak said. "It could be fatal."

However, if the alien planet had a magnetic field, this could provide some protection. So, too, could an ocean of water. Life that evolved beneath an ocean might be shielded from the brunt of the radiation.

(That's not necessarily good news for SETI, which searches for signals from extraterrestrial life. "We're not sure intelligent life, if under water, will be building radio transmitters and we're going to hear from them," Shostak said. "But it's possible.")
Another problem with planets tightly bound to their host star is a phenomenon known as tidal locking, in which one side of the world is perpetually turned toward the sun and receiving almost all of the heat.

But this isn't considered as big of a problem now as it had been.

For one thing, research over the past few years has indicated that the presence of other planets can ease the grip of the parent star, keeping a planet from being perfectly stagnant.

Furthermore, if the planet has an atmosphere, it might also boast wind, which could move the hot atmosphere to the dark side and the cool atmosphere to the sunlit side.
"Clearly, if it's too cold on one side and too hot on the other, somewhere in the middle there's that lovely Goldilocks zone where everybody wants to build their condos," Shostak said.

Even with these challenges, the sheer influx of tens of billions of potentially habitable planets improves the chances of finding alien life.

"SETI is looking for Mr. Right or maybe Ms. Right, depending on your point of view," Shostak said. "It helps to find out that there's 10 times as many candidates as there were before."

CougRon

Wait, what?
I remember hearing something about that. Something about autopsies revealing some died from impact trauma from hitting the water and not explosion/burn trauma. They were probably not concious by that time though. Makes some sense if you think about--the heat tiles and the mass of the shuttle would have blunted some of the explosions effect.

No they saw that the emergency oxygen had been used after the explosion which means some of them were still breathing. The autopsies were inconclusive (not much left I imagine)

endre

SKYLON is the successor to Britain's HOTOL spaceplane concept, being developed by Reaction Engines Ltd (REL). It is an unpiloted fully reusable aircraft-like vehicle capable of transporting 12 tonnes of cargo into space and is intended as a replacement for expensive expendable launchers in the commerical market. (Source: www.spacefuture.com )

The SKYLON vehicle consists of a slender fuselage containing propellant tankage and payload bay, with delta wings attached midway along the fuselage carrying the SABRE engines in axisymmetric nacelles on the wingtips.

The vehicle takes off and lands horizontally on it's own undercarriage.

The SABRE engines have a dual mode capability. In rocket mode the engine operates as a closed cycle Lox/Lh2 high specific impulse rocket engine. In air-breathing mode (from take-off to Mach 5) the liquid oxygen flow is replaced by atmospheric air, increasing the installed specific impulse 3-6 fold. The airflow is drawn into the engine via a 2 shock axisymmetric intake and is cooled to cryogenic temperatures prior to compression. The hydrogen fuel acts as a heatsink for the closed cycle helium loop before entering the combustion chamber.

The vehicle takes off and lands using a relatively conventional retractable undercarriage. By special attention to the brake system it has proved possible to achieve an acceptably low undercarriage mass. However, a heavily reinforced runway will be needed to tolerate the high equivalent single wheel load.

At the start of the take-off roll the vehicle weighs 275 tonnes, whilst maximum landing weight is 55 tonnes. At take-off the vehicle carries approximately 66 tonnes of liquid hydrogen and approximately 150 tonnes of liquid oxygen for the ascent.

The ground handling operations will be carried out using a standard aircraft tractor and a bonded goods cargo building permitting overhead loading and protection from the elements. For safety and operational simplicity the cryogenic propellants are loaded subcooled without venting of vapour. Cryogen loading is automatic through services connecting in the undercarriage wells whilst the vehicle is stood on the fuelling apron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0gc&feature=player_embedded
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17864782

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm so excited about all of the recent developments in private space R&D. It's sad that we have to place our hopes in companies and not in the government, but at least someone is looking toward the future.

I don't find it sad at all, merely inevitable. The more money being spent for space the better, no matter where it's really coming from IMO.

Venus to appear in once-in-a-lifetime event

On 5 and 6 June this year, millions of people around the world will be able to see Venus pass across the face of the Sun in what will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

It will take Venus about six hours to complete its transit, appearing as a small black dot on the Sun's surface, in an event that will not happen again until 2117.

In this month's Physics World, Jay M Pasachoff, an astronomer at Williams College, Massachusetts, explores the science behind Venus's transit and gives an account of its fascinating history.

Transits of Venus occur only on the very rare occasions when Venus and the Earth are in a line with the Sun. At other times Venus passes below or above the Sun because the two orbits are at a slight angle to each other. Transits occur in pairs separated by eight years, with the gap between pairs of transits alternating between 105.5 and 121.5 years – the last transit was in 2004.

Building on the original theories of Nicolaus Copernicus from 1543, scientists were able to predict and record the transits of both Mercury and Venus in the centuries that followed.
Johannes Kepler successfully predicted that both planets would transit the Sun in 1631, part of which was verified with Mercury's transit of that year. But the first transit of Venus to actually be viewed was in 1639 – an event that had been predicted by the English astronomer Jeremiah Horrocks. He observed the transit in the village of Much Hoole in Lancashire – the only other person to see it being his correspondent, William Crabtree, in Manchester.

Later, in 1716, Edmond Halley proposed using a transit of Venus to predict the precise distance between the Earth and the Sun, known as the astronomical unit. As a result, hundreds of expeditions were sent all over the world to observe the 1761 and 1769 transits. A young James Cook took the Endeavour to the island of Tahiti, where he successfully observed the transit at a site that is still called Point Venus.

Pasachoff expects the transit to confirm his team's theory about the phenomenon called "the black-drop effect" – a strange, dark band linking Venus's silhouette with the sky outside the Sun that appears for about a minute starting just as Venus first enters the solar disk.

Pasachoff and his colleagues will concentrate on observing Venus's atmosphere as it appears when Venus is only half onto the solar disk. He also believes that observations of the transit will help astronomers who are looking for extrasolar planets orbiting stars other than the Sun.

"Doing so verifies that the techniques for studying events on and around other stars hold true in our own backyard. In other words, by looking up close at transits in our solar system, we may be able to see subtle effects that can help exoplanet hunters explain what they are seeing when they view distant suns," Pasachoff writes.

Not content with viewing this year's transit from Earth, scientists in France will be using the Hubble Space Telescope to observe the effect of Venus's transit very slightly darkening the Moon. Pasachoff and colleagues even hope to use Hubble to watch Venus passing in front of the Sun as seen from Jupiter – an event that will take place on 20 September this year – and will be using NASA's Cassini spacecraft, which is orbiting Saturn, to see a transit of Venus from Saturn on 21 December.

"We are fortunate in that we are truly living in a golden period of planetary transits and it is one of which I hope astronomers can take full advantage," he writes.

Log4Girlz

Mason & Dixon at the Cape

From the Monthly Notes of the Astronomical Society of South Africa,
November 1951, pp. 99-102
[Graciously provided by Kerneels Breytenbach]

In Astronomy and Geodetics the names of Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon are inseparably linked together. They were colleagues in making observations of the Transits of Venus in 1761 in 1769, in the survey of the famous Mason and Dixon Line in America and in the measurement of the length of a degree of latitude also in America. How they came to be at the Cape in 1761 is almost what Shakespeare would call a tragical-comical-historical-pastoral story which I regret must be considerably curtailed in this talk.

Kinda cool connection between the transit of venus and the Mason-Dixon line.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is that Venus?
Yup
Explanation: There's something behind these clouds. Those faint graceful arcs, upon inspection, are actually far, far in the distance. They are the Earth's Moon and the planet Venus. Both the Moon and Venus are bright enough to be seen during the day, and both are quite capable of showing a crescent phase. To see Venus, which appears quite small, in a crescent phase requires binoculars or a telescope. In the above dramatic daytime image taken from Budapest, Hungary in 2004, the Moon and Venus shared a similar crescent phase a few minutes before the Moon eclipsed the larger but more distant world. Similarly, visible today in parts of Africa and Asia, a crescent Moon will again eclipse Venus during the day. About an hour after the above image was taken, Venus reappeared.

Second of the 8 year pairing event that happens every 110 odd years IIRC when Venus, Earth and the moon lines up with the Sun, last in 2004 and then today. Then sometime in 2117 or something. I'm only recalling this vaguely from memory so the details might be wrong.

Edit: I wasn't quite right, mixed this up with the Venus' pentagonal cycle which happens every 243 years that is due to take place in June 6 this year which also happened in 2004.

A Venus Transit occurs when we can see Venus passing directly in front of the Sun. This is similar to when the Moon passes in front of the Sun on a solar eclipse. Unlike the Moon, which covers most of the Sun, Venus appears as a small dot crossing the face of the Sun. A transit (sometime called a passage) can only occur with the inner planets--Mercury and Venus--because they are the only two that can lie between the Earth and Sun during their orbits.

We are in the midst of the first Venus Transit of this millennium. The Venus Transit presently upon us comes in a pair, with each transit in the pair spaced eight years apart. There will be one transit on June 8, 2004 and one on June 6, 2012.

This is a rare once in a life time event. In one 243-year Venus Transit cycle there are two pair spaced 121.5 ±8 years apart. The last Venus Transit (pair) occurred 129.5 years ago in 1874 and 1882. The next pair will occur 113.5 years from this one, in 2117 and 2125. Although the transits currently occur in pairs, this is not always the case, sometimes there is only one transit, as explained later in this article.
Quoted from here, which seems to have been written prior to 2004: http://www.lunarplanner.com/HCpages/Venus.html

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Getting a nice sense of cosmic depth from a surface-taken photo is pretty cool.

This is really well done. I get what must be akin to a spiritual feeling when I ponder such things; it is the simple recognition of truth.
*looks at your username*

Not I... At least not from the simple fact of being or membership or however you want to put that. And life is pretty amazing, but I have no issue seeing that as a merely more complex form/extension of other natural cycles of reproduction. However, the fact that the universe produced cognition and language... What the fuck? And yet we'll probably learn little more about how all that happened/works in our lifetime. Oh well, we got to be around from some really important revelations.

Zoibie

Yup

Second of the 8 year pairing event that happens every 110 odd years IIRC when Venus, Earth and the moon lines up with the Sun, last in 2004 and then today. Then sometime in 2117 or something. I'm only recalling this vaguely from memory so the details might be wrong.

Edit: I wasn't quite right, mixed this up with the Venus' pentagonal cycle which happens every 243 years that is due to take place in June 6 this year which also happened in 2004.

Quoted from here, which seems to have been written prior to 2004: http://www.lunarplanner.com/HCpages/Venus.html

Typically, if you want to view something like this, how expensive are protective lenses for binoculars?

derFeef

Typically, if you want to view something like this, how expensive are protective lenses for binoculars?

You don't need lenses, there are specific sun-foils for protection of optics, geared towards practical astronomy. I watched the mercury transit a few years back with a self-made protection for my dobson made out of such foil. Search the online stores (astronomy equipment, not amazon or something like that).

Something like that. http://www.astroshop.eu/filter-foils/baader-planetarium-sun-filter-foil-a4-20x29cm-baader/p,2718

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You don't need lenses, there are specific sun-foils for protection of optics, geared towards practical astronomy. I watched the mercury transit a few years back with a self-made protection for my dobson made out of such foil. Search the online stores (astronomy equipment, not amazon or something like that).

Something like that. http://www.astroshop.eu/filter-foils/baader-planetarium-sun-filter-foil-a4-20x29cm-baader/p,2718
Same, saw the 'Venus pillar' in 2004 in similar fashion. Eg. the moments before it enters the Sun's diameter a huge shadow emitts from the side which can easily be seen without aid.

Getting a nice sense of cosmic depth from a surface-taken photo is pretty cool.

*looks at your username*

Not I... At least not from the simple fact of being or membership or however you want to put that. And life is pretty amazing, but I have no issue seeing that as a merely more complex form/extension of other natural cycles of reproduction. However, the fact that the universe produced cognition and language... What the fuck? And yet we'll probably learn little more about how all that happened/works in our lifetime. Oh well, we got to be around from some really important revelations.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Note that I'm an athiest, but the sense of wonder I feel when I ponder the cosmos is to me a spritiual feeling. The universie is pondering itself; it's mind blowing.

fallout

Keep in mind that it's been in pretty high demand lately. Maybe check with a local astronomy club if you can't find any out there for a reasonable price. Ours went out and bought up a whole bunch about 8-12 months ago in anticipation.

Top Bottom