• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

jchap

So what does GAF think of the 265 day secret unmanned shuttle mission which recently returned to earth? The modern day replacement to the SR-71? Surveillance of the Chinese Space Station? Just a joy ride? Shooting missiles at Pakistani baddies from orbit?

air-force-secret-shuttle-008.jpg

Orgun

So what does GAF think of the 265 day secret unmanned shuttle mission which recently returned to earth? The modern day replacement to the SR-71? Surveillance of the Chinese Space Station? Just a joy ride? Shooting missiles at Pakistani baddies from orbit?

X9front.gif

Let's just hope a super intelligent singing AI shows up.

I'm certain that all of those fall within the developmental plan for this craft. All these secretive craft, such as the U2, Oxcart (SR-71 born from this), F117A, B2, and many others have been for stealth surveillance or weapons systems purposes.

Too bad we waste all this money on spy and warfare equipment. I'd like those R&D funds to be put back into NASA.

Chris R

Man last week was awesome. Like I said, the American Astronomical Society was in town for their Summer meeting. Attended four different talks, each covering a different subject.

First talk was about the recent transit of Venus, covering the history of previous transits and how we can use Venus to understand Exoplanets. I loved the history bits, but could have used more explanation of the future applications as they relate to exoplanets instead of how the presenter's group had to fly to Hawaii to get transit data.

The next night there was an informal presentation about the Kepler project, going over their recent discoveries and explaining how the project actually works. I was only able to see half of that presentation though because before the second part was going to start another presentation was going to occur.

The third presentation was actually from one of the Nobel Prize winners in 2011. The talk was about how they won their prize by proving that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate by looking at and observing the Doppler shift of supernove. It was a really cool presentation, made even better by the fact that the presenter had lived here in Anchorage for a while and brought several of his science and math teachers from High School up to thank them for their influence in his life.

Final event was actually a movie and a short presentation. The movie was free to attend if you requested tickets early enough. The movie and the talk was about the issue of "Space Junk" and how while it might not seem like an issue now, it actually is, and could cascade to the point where entering space would be dangerous. The movie was actually really good (and impartial, not pointing out that the Chinese were behind the missile on satellite strike that caused a large spike in "junk" in space) and the talk afterwards was decent as well. I didn't like the fact that the model the presenter was using to show the growth of "junk" in space didn't account for a single accidental collision when that has already happened once and most likely will happen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BunIgmSrQA&feature=player_embedded

I like it, cool approach to the whole getting to space and back problem, but why keep it secret? That worries me a bit :)

Orgun

RadioLab - Is there an Edge to the Heavens

Edward Dolnick tells an escape story involving God, humanity, and a huge rewrite of cosmic laws. It began in 1665. A plague hit Cambridge University. All of the students were sent home. One of them is a twenty-something Isaac Newton, who spent his forced summer vacation solving "the problem of the moon" and explaining why that heavenly rock will never be free.

Sucks for the moon. But Newton's mental leap ultimately lead to humanity leaving the confines of planet Earth. And as producer Lynn Levy explains, we're about to reach yet another new frontier. The Voyager probe (which we talked about in our Space episode) is about to become the first human-made object to leave the solar system. And the information it's been sending us along the way has upended what we thought we knew about our little corner of the universe. Merav Opher is an astronomy professor at BU and a Voyager guest investigator. Ann Druyan is one of the creators of the 1977 Golden Album traveling on the Voyager probe. Together they describe how Voyager continues to surprise us.

Roche

is this true, how do we only know of this many planets, I thought we had a huge chunk of the universe looked at with telescopes with tons of galaxies in view...

I think these are just the planets we've seen directly and we're sure their existence. Spotting planets is a lot more difficult than you might imagine, I think it can only be done when they pass between the star and our line of sight, we can't view them directly.

is this true, how do we only know of this many planets, I thought we had a huge chunk of the universe looked at with telescopes with tons of galaxies in view...
planets orbiting other stars are very, very faint objects that are hard to detect and verify (in fact they are detected indirectly since they are so faint). with current technology we can't detect them outside our very nearby cosmic neighborhood within our galaxy. and planets in other galaxies are faaaar out of our view.

wow, this has just blown my mind, we can see 12 billion lightyears out but we can only spot 700-or so planets. DAYUM, UNIVERSE AND SHIT IS BIG, SON.

wow, this has just blown my mind, we can see 12 billion lightyears out but we can only spot 700-or so planets. DAYUM, UNIVERSE AND SHIT IS BIG, SON.
we can and are spotting more and more of them (with the Kepler probe), it just takes time and effort to verify them. i think there are something like 2000 exoplanet candidates so far and the number is growing. and Kepler is only looking at a tiny random area of our galaxy...

in 30-50 years i expect us to have an exoplanet catalog of millions of planets, and knowledge of many many earth-like worlds (in terms of mass, atmospheric composition etc).

Tawpgun

Based on the Kepler findings, astronomers have estimated that ON AVERAGE, there is one planet for every star in the Galaxy.

100 billion or so stars = average of 100 billion planets. Some systems have none, some have multiple. It was actually considered a conservative estimate.

WE WERE BORN TOO SOON DAMNIT.

Based on the Kepler findings, astronomers have estimated that ON AVERAGE, there is one planet for every star in the Galaxy.

100 billion or so stars = average of 100 billion planets. Some systems have none, some have multiple. It was actually considered a conservative estimate.

WE WERE BORN TOO SOON DAMNIT

People will always feel this way. Not too long ago if you had been born you would have thought the Earth the center of the universe with the sun revolving around it.

don't forget the wandering planets that aren't orbiting any stars.. apparently their numbers likely dwarf everything else. possibly a trillion in our galaxy. and of course all the moons.. god knows how many there are per star (something like 200 around our sun). the amount of different worlds in one galaxy alone is unfathomable.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess I appreciate your optimism that we will ever figure out a way to traverse those great expanses at such a speed that it would mean anything to daily life. I'm personally more interested in the implications of applying technology to our biology than traveling the universe.

ianp622

You can't just look out into space and see planets. You have to track the motion of a star or detect the planet moving in front of the star, which can take months or years.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Thank you for posting this. What an amazing time. Someone else said that a catalog of a million planets in our lifetime is realistic, and I think they're right.

Now consider that we've really only been looking for what, a decade? I bet we'll get some better practices and we'll not only discover a veritable WALL of possible life-supportive planets, but we'll see some evidence that intelligent life actually exists there -- like lights from a city.

NOW consider that if we've only been doing this a decade, how long might other civilizations in the galaxy have been looking? The thought is provoking and somewhat daunting. What happens if we stick our head our of our little system and discover that the galaxy is actually bustling with intelligent life, traveling the stars, planning for the future?

Gives me chills.

Well, we're one small system on the fringe of the galaxy, space is really, really big, faster than light travel is probably impossible and the probability of sentient life existing elsewhere in the galaxy, never mind the stars that are actually relatively close to us is very remote...

But hey, space is the place. It'd be neat just to go there properly again.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Who's worried about faster-than-light travel? It's theoretically very possible to reach a quarter to half of C, which would bring us to probably 100s of other livable planets within a single human lifetime, nevermind that once we're able to reach that speed we're probably also looking at seriously extended human lifespans.

I'd love to see a window into 500 years from now. Why shouldn't we have colonies outside of the solar system by then? I'm optimistic.

Well, we're one small system on the fringe of the galaxy, space is really, really big, faster than light travel is probably impossible and the probability of sentient life existing elsewhere in the galaxy, never mind the stars that are actually relatively close to us is very remote...

Why do you say this?

Tawpgun

I don't think you have a grasp on how many planets there are. Let's say .001% have life on them.

That makes one MILLION planets with life on them.

Hootie

there are no heavy launch vehicles to do such a thing

which is a tragedy at this day and age. we did it 40+ years ago but cant do it now....

hopefully China starts doing really well in space so the US has an incentive (there already are plenty but they dont involve international dick-waving so they dont count I guess) to finally give NASA a proper amount of funding again

KarmaCow

I don't think you have a grasp on how many planets there are. Let's say .001% have life on them.

That makes one MILLION planets with life on them.

The sheer number of planets is dwarfed by the size of the universe. Even the Milky Way alone is prohibitively huge. Without faster than light tech, effectively all those planets are too far to even communicate with much less travel to in a human lifetime.

Tawpgun

The sheer number of planets is dwarfed by the size of the universe. Even the Milky Way alone is prohibitively huge. Without faster than light tech, effectively all those planets are too far to even communicate with much less travel to in a human lifetime.

Yeah sure, but its kind of jumping the gun by saying there's no sentient life in the milky way.

maybe travel speed isn't really the issue we need to overcome, but time. our current lifetimes are incredibly short in the grand scheme of things... what if some time in the future it's possible to extend human lifetimes not just with a century or two, but with millions of years? then it wouldn't be that big of a deal to travel around the Milky Way if we had ships that could move at close to the speed of light. hell maybe we'll figure out hibernation.. just sleep in a pod for 3000 years and wake up in a far-away star system like nothing happened.

or maybe i watch too many movies :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think that one day man might have to send a hyperkinetic missile after voyager and destroy it. It's a naked invitation to come and invade a weak semi-technological resource rich society. There is not only SERO reason to suspect aliens would be peaceful, but a giant preponderance of evidence and logic to suggest predatory species advance quickly and that hegemonies succeed by eliminating competition.

That said, voyager is a needle in a haystack, while our radio emissions are a big old hayloft.

Never gets old - the amount of innovation in that landing sequence is mindboggling. It will be a huge engineering feat if it actually works. The video says that it's due to touch down this August - so it has to be on its way already?

yeah it was launched late last year.

if i remember correctly, we will be able to watch its landing live (well, takes 14min for the signal to travel) in HD, at 5fps. i don't know if i will be able to contain myself when watching it...

Oozer3993

yeah it was launched late last year.

if i remember correctly, we will be able to watch its landing live (well, takes 14min for the signal to travel) in HD, at 5fps. i don't know if i will be able to contain myself when watching it...

There might be video? And I didn't think this landing could get any cooler.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think that one day man might have to send a hyperkinetic missile after voyager and destroy it. It's a naked invitation to come and invade a weak semi-technological resource rich society. There is not only SERO reason to suspect aliens would be peaceful, but a giant preponderance of evidence and logic to suggest predatory species advance quickly and that hegemonies succeed by eliminating competition.

That said, voyager is a needle in a haystack, while our radio emissions are a big old hayloft.

Everything we have evidence of on this particular planet is that predatory species are exactly as successful as their food source. Aggressors capable of seeing/reaching/listening to our planet would likely know this as well.

Not that your points are without merit, I'm just saying that it's likely sustainable/sustained ecosystems are likely bigger than a single planet and more likely, include the entire galaxy.

Top Bottom