• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

This thread has only had 5.6k posts in 4 years?

I always feel like there's a lot of new content when I look.

I guess it's content vs. filler

X flare on the sun today has launched a CME directed at earth. Expected to arrive Saturday.

## NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Space Weather Center ( SWC )
## Message Type: Space Weather Alert
##
## Message Issue Date: 2012-07-12T21:00:00Z
## Message ID: 20120712-AL-006

## Alert Summary:

Update on CME with ID 2012-07-12T16:54:00-CME-001 (see alert 20120712-AL-005). Based on preliminary heliospheric modeling carried out at NASA GSFC Space Weather Center, it is estimated that the CME may impact Earth, Messenger, Spitzer, MSL, Mars. Simulations indicate that the leading edge of the CME will reach Earth at about 2012-07-14T10:20Z (plus minus 7 hours). The roughly estimated expected range of the Kp index is 6-8 (moderate to severe).

20120712_193500_anim.tim-den.gif

The CME is moving faster that expected. NASA have revised their estimate of the time of arrival.

Simulations indicate that the leading edge of the CME will reach Earth at about 2012-07-14T09:17Z (plus minus 7 hours).

The sunspot group that spawned it has recovered and grown in size and complexity, and its still earth facing. So there is a chance of another, maybe larger, flare & CME happening after this one.

Teknoman

It would be nice if by some stretch of the imagination, we could see auroras in Houston...but even if we could...probably wouldnt matter since it's been raining on and off since Sunday.

Woorloog

Banned
It would be nice if by some stretch of the imagination, we could see auroras in Houston...but even if we could...probably wouldnt matter since it's been raining on and off since Sunday.

Hmm, if it strong enough, maybe we could get lucky in Helsinki and see some auroras. Those do happen here sometimes...
What are chances the flare is strong enough to disrupt satellites and other electronic devices badly?

Not a chance from this one. You would need a massive storm well beyond the highest threshold of Kp 9 to have any chance of seeing aurora in Houston.

This CME will probably only get to about Kp 6.

Aurora_Kp_Map_North_America.gif

Hmm, if it strong enough, maybe we could get lucky in Helsinki and see some auroras. Those do happen here sometimes...
What are chances the flare is strong enough to disrupt satellites and other electronic devices badly?

Yep, good chance in Helsinki. At the moment the warning is only for "minor impact on satellite operations", but the CME hasn't arrived yet, so that might change but it's not likely to be too severe.

Woorloog

Banned
Yep, good chance in Helsinki. At the moment the warning is only for "minor impact on satellite operations", but the CME hasn't arrived yet, so that might change but it's not likely to be too severe.

Hmm, guess i'll go walking tomorrow this evening. Too bad there ain't any good hills or open fields close by. *opens google map*
Of course nights here are not very dark during summers*, i reckon any aurorae need to be pretty bright to be visible.
Speaking of this, almost 5AM, Sun has risen quite a lot already, based on the sky anyway.

The coronal mass ejection is just starting to impact earth now. At the moment the forecast is for the aurora to only reach as far south at the green line on that map above.

And for the other side of the world.

globeNE.gif

Woorloog

Banned
The coronal mass ejection is just starting to impact earth now. At the moment the forecast is for the aurora to only reach as far south at the green line on that map above.

And for the other side of the world.

globeNE.gif

Hmm, let's hope it's clear night here in Helsinki... Weather forecast seems good.

Geomagnetic storm warning has been increased to Kp 6.

Hoppefully good news for people a little further south looking to see the aurora.

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Woorloog

Banned
Can't see any aurorae from my balcony... either there ain't any visible in Helsinki or just not right here... Maybe i'll go for a walk.
EDIT well, it looks like the probability ain't that great either...

TehOh

It's looking somewhat likely, but can someone smarter than me confirm - do you think I could see the aurora tonight around the Minneapolis area (or within an hour or two drive to the north)?

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Just popped out of the house, staying up for the Khan fight.

Loved the sight that Jupiter, Venus & the waxing Moon provided, just as the first light of the Sun appeared. I wish I had a proper camera.

Geomagnetic storm is in progress. We are almost at Kp 7 (Strong) now.

The forecasted level in the next few hours on this USAF chart has it going to the very top of the scale Kp 9 (Severe to Extreme).

sTcyZ.gif

cUE8C.png

Chittagong

Gold Member
With the Virgin Galactic news today, I began wondering about weightlessness. How does it work in space?

Wikipedia revealed to me that people in ISS are not weightless because of their increased distance to earth, but because they are in orbit. I don't know if the same applies to Virgin Galactic.

I always had this romantic image of escaping the gravitational pull of earth because gravity is so weak and drops off fast. However based on this it seems that only the moon missions were "really" weightless in this sense.

At what point does non-orbital weightlessness kick in then?

Log4Girlz

With the Virgin Galactic news today, I began wondering about weightlessness. How does it work in space?

Wikipedia revealed to me that people in ISS are not weightless because of their increased distance to earth, but because they are in orbit. I don't know if the same applies to Virgin Galactic.

I always had this romantic image of escaping the gravitational pull of earth because gravity is so weak and drops off fast. However based on this it seems that only the moon missions were "really" weightless in this sense.

At what point does non-orbital weightlessness kick in then?

I guess you have to be far enough from a body that its gravity does not have discernible influence on you. I know that gravitation falls away at a square of the distance to a body, so it would be a few thousand miles for you to feel weightless. Having said that, unless in an orbit, if you floated stationary here in the Solar system, you will be dragged in by another body, most likely the Sun...so you are never truly weightless but you will not feel any discernible weight.

Woorloog

Banned
I guess you have to be far enough from a body that its gravity does not have discernible influence on you. I know that gravitation falls away at a square of the distance to a body, so it would be a few thousand miles for you to feel weightless. Having said that, unless in an orbit, if you floated stationary here in the Solar system, you will be dragged in by another body, most likely the Sun...so you are never truly weightless but you will not feel any discernible weight.

Indeed.
I'll note that gravity has infinite range though, so you can never be free of it, not completly.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Pretty much what I gathered. So a few thousand miles maybe to not be able to detect it. From that perspective, the moon missions were truly remarkable and unprecedented even today, as everyone is just whizzing around the orbit.

From this perspective - both orbit and distance based weightlessness - I find most film portrayals of weightlessness a bit odd. It's always just "BAM, you are weightless", whereas you'd expect it to gradually take effect.

Log4Girlz

Indeed.
I'll note that gravity has infinite range though, so you can never be free of it, not completly.

Well, if cosmic acceleration keeps going on infinitely, eventually the space between molecules will grow faster than light and gravity will no longer be able to be communication between particles.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, if cosmic acceleration keeps going on infinitely, eventually the space between molecules will grow faster than light and gravity will no longer be able to be communication between particles.

If.
But in any case, that won't matter to us (humans, any life, probably), we'll be long gone by then.

Top Bottom